Facebook has released a list of the most successfuls releases to grace the social network’s gaming platform this year, charting some interesting trends.
According to a Facebook Developers post, 2013 saw an increase in cross-platform games, more success for developers outside North America, and “hardcore” games on the rise.
Facebook chose the games on its Best of 2013 list according to “user ratings, Facebook implementation, growth, and overall quality”. Of the 23 games it chose to honour as among the best of 2013, it identified the following notable trends:
- Ten come from studios based in Europe or the Middle East
- Eight are cross-platform, integrating with Facebook on web and mobile
- Eight were developed by indie studios
- Seven are mid or hardcore games
- Five are arcade games
- Five are casino or slots games
Game of the Year went to Criminal Case from French indie Pretty Simple, a hidden object game with “engaging sharing mechanics”.