Titanfall trailers show off Ogre and Stryder mech classes

Sunday, 8th December 2013 01:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Titanfall was given two short videos during VGX tonight showing off the Ogre and Stryder class of mechs.

It started off showing Hammond Robotics which makes the titans in the game. There are more titans in the game than just the two shown so far, one of which was the Ogre class titan. The mech heavier than the standard titan, but is a bit slower. It is an alternative choice for players to use upon being unlocked.

The Stryder class is lighter and you can see it in action below battling it out with an Atlas titan.

No date for the beta just yet. The game’s content is finished, it’s being balanced at the moment, and there will not be any Kinect integration in it.

Titanfall is slated for release in February on PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. monkeygourmet

My PC is ready! :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. lilmike99

I’m curious to know if that 888 number actually leads to something at the end of the trailer.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lilmike99

It actually goes to Hammond Robotics lol.

#3 1 year ago
  4. fengato

Now that Destiny (and the early beta) have delayed, I’ve got all my hype pinned on this. Hope it can deliver.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sho0ok

To be honest the trailer doesn’t do the game justice. However as for the show this is the worst gaming event I’ve ever seen in my life. Thanks to the whiners who was complaining last year about the format /:

#5 1 year ago
  6. lolatfanboys

Damn that censure ship…damn you censorship nazis

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

Videos removed!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

@7 They are back up. I am replacing all now. Give me a few minutes, as I have to wait for GT to load and resize the vids to fit our page format.

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

Thanks, Steph.

Second trailer is HYPE!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

@9 Np! :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. eaglerapida13

my xboxone is ready

#11 1 year ago
  12. debug

The trailers were not fantastic, they totally showed the engine weaknesses :P
    Anyway, it’s not that important. I’m sure it will be a ton of fun!

#12 1 year ago
  13. sho0ok

@debug yes exactly fun. Xbox doesn’t do games just to play SP only, they are all about fun not graphics and not the best story but balance (same as the console balance story)

#13 1 year ago
  14. gomersoul

No Kinect integration? Fucking hilarious… But I thought Microsoft made a smart move by forcing Kinect on dumb consumers, because it would make devs use it?! Turns out it’s a useless piece of shit whether you have it or not :)

#14 1 year ago
  15. Arcnail

@14 Yes, because MS making developers use Kinect in any game released for the Xbone would totally be a great idea…

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lazuliv

@14 Don’t be an idiot not every single game that comes out on Xbox One needs Kinect integration. Jeez some people. They haven’t even talked about Kinect and they’re assuming.

OT: This game looks fucking amazing!

#16 1 year ago
  17. manamana

This game oozes style! Heavens!

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

@16:

They have spoken about Kinect. Zampella said in the Gametrailers interview that goes with these trailers that “It didn’t fit”, so they’re not using it.

Simple as.

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

(*i’m still not digging this at all*)

#19 1 year ago
  20. torjs99

Are the videos from the 360 version?

#20 1 year ago
  21. Gekidami

^ Could be the XB1 version too, they’re both in 720p. /trollface

But seriously, yeah, as far as visuals go this really isnt a looker.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Djoenz

First trailer is awesome strider. Looks slick.

#22 1 year ago
  23. G1GAHURTZ

@19:

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You don’t have to like this game, or even want to play it. It doesn’t make you any less of a gamer.

Sadly, that’s exactly how many other people will probably think.

This game has already won award, after award. It’s got game critics raving about it after just a few hours play, and being developed by Respawn, it looks like it’s got all the ingredients to be the go-to shooter.

There are even other strangely coincidental events that almost seem to be conspiring to make it even more of a hit.

For example, the game releases in March. The very same month that MS have apparently decided to finally get headsets working properly on their console. Every other FPS on the X1 before that has to deal with no proper headset solution.

We’re also looking at the worst reviewed, and probably most heavily criticised CoD since CoD3 being its main challenger before release, and the only other big name, new IP shooter penciled in for 2014, Destiny, being pushed back to a September release.

Add to that the fact that practically everyone who’s played it seems to love it, and it looks like you won’t be able to get away from seeing this game all over the internet in 2014.

So we’ll probably get clown after clown, and troll after troll popping their heads up to tell the world how much they don’t like the game, and how there’s nothing special about it, anyway.

Particularly ones with bizarrely keen affiliations to the Sony brand.

But, again, if you simply don’t think the game is for you, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Play other games, and be happy.

#23 1 year ago
  24. abdooltk

WITH SOUNDS

#24 1 year ago
  25. polygem

@23: sure, and there’s no doubt in my mind that this game will play silkysmooth and be lots of fun. I just don’t dig the presentation .Too much brown, the codish military vibe in the voiceacting etc. Nothing there that really pushes my buttons. That’s ok though – there’s other stuff that clicks with me more – But i have no doubt that this game will be fun and become a huge success. You can only judge a game after you’ve played it for a good while anyway.

#25 1 year ago
  26. TheWulf

Still not sure about this one.

Though I wonder how the desaturation will be aided by SweetFX? With the visual aesthetics, at least, that’s my biggest problem. It seems like it could look nice if I’m able to wipe enough of that virtual soot, grime, and dirt off of my monitor to see the game assets beneath.

I’ve had an on and off interest with this, but I’m a little more interested in the mainstream now that I can deal with the ridiculous amounts of ugly desaturation. I mean, look at that first screenshot. I just want to wipe it clean to see the natural colours beneath.

(I wouldn’t mind reskinning the robots with some paint too so that they’re not rotting, rusted piles of grey-brown scrap metal. Sorry to whom that offends, but I like colourful robots!)

#26 1 year ago
  27. G1GAHURTZ

^ LOL!

I’m thinking that they’re possibly going to be customisable. I can imagine bright coloured parts/upgrades/weapons being unlockable at some stage…

#27 1 year ago
  28. Legendaryboss

@25/27
    Clown robots and More Colour DLC confirmed!

#28 1 year ago
  29. mal617

MY XB1 is READY for Titanfall and Quantum Break

#29 1 year ago
  30. Obernox

Stryder goes “OMNOMNOMNOMNOM”

#30 1 year ago
  31. lolatfanboys

+ for mechs – for CoD style fps and engine

#31 1 year ago
  32. fengato

Poly said:

“sure, and there’s no doubt in my mind that this game will play silkysmooth and be lots of fun. I just don’t dig the presentation .Too much brown, the codish military vibe in the voiceacting etc.”

Yep, visually it looks unappealing/drab to the point of being ugly (don’t want to alienate the COD fan base)- and yes facial animations and characters are sub-par (the assistant woman is particularly poorly done), though the gameplay looks like it could engage me for a long time. Just as I don’t dig COD production values (characters, voice acting, graphics etc) I find that it offers the quickest/purest hit of competitive play. TF might just be the next evolution that COD needs.

I remember watching an interview with Vince in which he says that when he goes back to other shooters he feels that he’s missing something. I think this might be the case as the new movement and parkour looks inherently fun (empowering).

#32 1 year ago
  33. manamana

For all who are interested in Titanfall, Jaxendale got you covered with informations: http://youtu.be/vrVFgmUHKhM.

#33 1 year ago
  34. The_Red

This whole thing is a byproduct of last gen with games like Gears of War, MGS4 and such where colors were pretty much killed. From what I understand, limiting the color-range was a tool to slightly improve the performance while also making the lighting engine look more realistically than was possible.

Now look at Mario 3D World or Pikmin. Technically they look lame (Or horrible in case of Pikmin 3) but the lighting plus colors / art direction elevate them to much higher levels. The lighting engine Nintendo has surpasses even the likes of Battlefield 4. Now image that lighting model used in a next-gen game with full color range. You get Witcher 3 (The definition of HOLY SHIT THAT’S STUNNING).

#34 1 year ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

^ It’s personal preference.

I, for example, like desaturated, gritty looking games in general. Others, clearly don’t.

Some people like modern looking house interiors, with cool creams and whites. Others like brightly coloured walls and loud, highly decorative, wallpaper. Others still, like dark wood colours and dark reds.

Some people change their preferences depending on the season, and their mood.

There isn’t an overall ‘colour is better than no colour’ consensus, in any field.

#35 1 year ago
  36. The_Red

Witcher 3 is truly dark and gritty looking and yet it uses full spectrum of color. It proves that you don’t need to rely on desaturation and grey-love to look real, dark and gritty.

#36 1 year ago
  37. G1GAHURTZ

^ Well, maybe it does prove that there’s more than one way to build a particular mood, but it doesn’t prove anything about artistic style choices or personal preferences.

For example, I think the bright purples and greens in Halos 1-3 make them look unrealistic, and for children.

Other people love the look, and that’s their personal preference. I wouldn’t say that they should like the look of Halo 4 more, because it uses less colour.

I don’t think it’s particularly reasonable to assert that people other than yourself simply don’t know what looks good, or to say that a game would look ‘better’ if it had more colour, etc.

I really liked the greys and browns in Gears. It just didn’t look as good to me when they put more saturation into the later versions.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#37 1 year ago
  38. fengato

^ Not sure that anyone would consider TF to be a beauty (Source was after all originally chosen so they could scale to 360 and PS3). But yeah, looks like a fun evolution of COD.

#38 1 year ago
  39. polygem

yep, all about preference. i totally love the purple spaceships in halo and my pink needler gun. to me this doesn’t mean it looks childish at all. to me the military tough guy stuff of a gears or cod feels so much more childish. i stll liked those games, some of them even a lot. i have played almost every cod and gears game (but haven’t played mw3 much more than an hour or so, that was when my cod fatigue was on it’s peak, same with judgement, didn’t feel like playing it anymore. happened to halo 4 too.finished it, played mp a while but never really clicked).

i would probably be all over the place if this game had a different artdirection. i have picked up a ps4 instead of a xbox one because destiny is clearly the game i want to play much more and ps4 was cheaper and kinectfree…but that’s just me. there’s an audience for both and i expect both to become huge, well deserved hits. that’ll be around for the whole next gen and beyond that.
    i can also see myself buying an xbox one after a pricecut and play titanfall and enjoy the hell out of it just as i enjoyed some cod’s and all the gears games. they make me scratch my head sometimes or roll my eyes, sometimes even laugh but man do they play great. in the end you can always convince me with great gameplay.

#39 1 year ago
  40. manamana

Titanfall clearly has a ‘real’ colorpalette. And one can clearly see in the ‘Angel City’ map that there are cherry blossom trees, blue sky and lots of colorfull signs around. The colors just don’t scream 150% saturation! It just takes it’s greyish tone from warplaces, where all the debris and stuff makes a colorpalette look desaturated also less vivid.

I kinda like it very much, that they aim for a realworld colorpalette instead of phantasy colors.

Edit: poly, you can also play it on a PC…

#40 1 year ago
  41. fengato

^ Yeah but that super high contrast look is anything but real world. I think they’re just going for what’s safe, and trying not to scare off the COD players from their new scifi world.

#41 1 year ago
  42. polygem

i didn’t bother about resistances browns for example. i liked the 50/60′s scifi ‘from outer space’ vibe it hided underneath it’s presentation. i liked that. it really really is all about the preference. lots of people dig this game and that’s great. it will probably become one of the most relevant online shooters for a good while. that alone will make me play it at some point. i just enjoy this stuff. i’m just personally not impressed with the artdesign. it’s like zampellas shirt on the vgx’s…kind of ugly :)

edit: but man, let this guy enjoy his shirt and wear it with pride. i respect bold statements!

#42 1 year ago
  43. manamana

That shirt was godawful. But hey, aslong he puts out games like that – who cares?! :-D

#43 1 year ago
  44. bradk825

Just watched the Strider one. Creative idea for a trailer. Loved it.

The gameplay looks FAST paced. This isn’t Mechwarrior anymore with big lumbering machines travelling slowly and packing a big punch. You’ve gotta be on the move at all times to stay alive it looks like.

I suppose you should expect fast-paced from Respawn though.

#44 1 year ago