No Man’s Sky from Joe Danger studio Hello Games debuts during VGX

Sunday, 8th December 2013 00:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

No Man’s Sky, the next game from Joe Danger studio Hello Games, was debuted during VGX tonight.

Sean Murray from Hello Games stooped by to discuss how the game is about exploration, and takes place in a sci-fi setting.

It’s more than a persistent world, and you can fly to various planets in your spaceship.

“If you see the stars, those are real stars, they have their own planets around them, and you can go there,” said Murray. “It’s a science-fiction game, but it’s not like most other sci-fi games. We set out to make a game that challenges what it means to be next-gen, and what it means to be an indie title.

“It’s going to mess with people’s perceptions of Hello Games, and I have no idea how people will react. It’s different, and pretty much the furthest thing from what we’ve done before.”

It’s a first-person game, some space and planet combat, and is a real world and real living universe. It’s an “adversarial” universe.

These planets have an ecology, ecosystem and you are not necessarily at the top of the chain. It’s a massively multiplayer world.

Players can switch between walking on land, swimming, and flying in various ships; they can shoot holes into asteroids and then fly through them.

1. absolutezero

:O

:O!!!

#1 4 months ago
  2. Beta

I like the look of this :D My interest is peaked!

#2 4 months ago
  3. Erthazus

Star citizen for poor people… Sorry. But this is lame at best.

#3 4 months ago
  4. absolutezero

It looks so much more interesting than Star Citizen which is spread so fucking thin and is still taking in money and adding superfluous shit.

4 people and more than likely a limited budget. Bonkers.

#4 4 months ago
  5. POOhead

star wars much

#5 4 months ago
  6. DSB

From the people who made Joe Danger? How in the unearthly fuck?

That is stupidly impressive.

#6 4 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@4, “It looks so much more interesting”
    blind much?

It’s taking money because it is amazing and next gen. It deserves every penny. This one with last gen visuals and gameplay looks poor at best. It’s not even funny.

#7 4 months ago
  8. absolutezero

Get fucked.

Opinions.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Erthazus

Opinions are good when they are opinions and not some “retarded fanboy babble”.

What Joe Danger devs announced was in Star citizen before even they announced a full feature set + with latest Cryengine.

#9 4 months ago
  10. absolutezero

A fanboy of what may I ask?

Jesus God.

Its alright, 4 guys made something that looks better than something thats taken in tonnes and tonnes of money and is PC exclusive. Its ok Erth. I’ll hold you.

Its ok.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@9 “Opinions are good when they are opinions and not some “retarded fanboy babble”.

Then you should probably stop posting.

You don’t get to go around and just tell people that they’re retarded. You come across as a complete jerk and am utterly unpleasant person to interact with.

#11 4 months ago
  12. Phoenixblight

This looks absolutely fantastic. I can’t wait to play this.

#12 4 months ago
  13. Beta

First it’s lame at best. Then it’s poor at best. Make up your mind!

Anyway. I like the look of this game, and that’s all I really care about :)

#13 4 months ago
  14. jmg24bad

This game certainly looks more interesting than Star Citizen right now. We actually get to see some game-play. At least more game-play than star citizen has shown that involved riding around in a spaceship bay looking a ship models. ErthaFAG CRYMOAR please

#14 4 months ago
  15. onlineatron

hello hi yes bank? pls just redirect all my wages into hello games’ business account from now on okay thank you bye

#15 4 months ago
  16. fearmonkey

I think this looked so intriguing, will be following this one.

#16 4 months ago
  17. Erthazus

@jmg24bad,
    “This game certainly looks more interesting than Star Citizen right now. We actually get to see some game-play.”

You are the one that can cry moar to this POS with last gen visuals and last gen gameplay.

There was gameplay since 2012 when they had no funding basically. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rb-8mYHE0

Wake me up when they will show me Ship’s physics and proper AI system for the flight simulation that Calculates the power of each thruster in vectors and dynamically communicates with the ships onboard computer.

#17 4 months ago
  18. Dragon

The game looks good, probably the best announcement at this years shamble of a show.

Although its rather intriguing how a 4 man team can pull this off. The game *looks* massive content wise.

#18 4 months ago
  19. ActionGameKing

THIS GAME…THIISSS GAAMEEEE!!!

This is the one that will show the world why we should be paying attention to the INDIE developers. They have zero restraints but their imagination. I’m fcuking in love.

#19 4 months ago
  20. _LarZen_

This looks more exciting and fresh then anything else shown on VGX. Don’t get me wrong, games like The Witcher 3 and Titanfall looks great. But it’s not giving you that feeling like you did as a child when you started to explore the forest behind your house and there was something exciting and new around every corner.

No Man’s Sky triggered that familiar but so rare feeling in me. I want to explore, I want to feel like a kid again all excited about what is around the next corner.

#20 4 months ago
  21. godsdice

I love the art style. Hyper-realistic is cool and all, but this ultra-saturated fantasy look is something a little less overdone. Glad to see some boundaries being pushed.

#21 4 months ago
  22. jmg24bad

@Erthazus

“DERP I LIEK NUMBERS AND SHINY SHIPS THAT GO ZOOOM WHEEEEE!”

You are just mad that 4 people were able to make a game that looks like good fun. Meanwhile star shitizen has no gameplay

#22 4 months ago
  23. The_Red

Wow, who could have guessed? There was actually an interesting reveal during VGAs. This actually made Destiny look bad to me. Seriously, both Destiny and Titanfall had weak showings. Witcher 3 and No Man’s Sky cleaned the floor with them.

@Erthazus
    Star Citizen wishes it was this promising. That game might as well be a money-grabbing scam unless proven wrong. This however looks like a 4X game meets Proteus which is insanely awesome.

#23 4 months ago
  24. TheWulf

This looks lovely, honestly. The only thing I don’t like is that they have cockpit monitors. Since they’re going with a stylised style, I’d love to see holographic displays. Plus it would help to separate them from Star Citizen.

And this has so much more colour, character, and soul than Star Citizen. It looks like it was made by people who’re passionate about making stuff, and I just have a sense for that. Star Citizen, on the other hand, is like cold, sterile, impersonal marketing. It’s designed to be sexy, but ultimately it’s just so completely shallow and hollow, and it has no identity of its own. (Beyond what it obviously stole from Wing Commander, of course. And that IP went further than Roberts. Honestly, looking at Star Citizen compared to Wing Commander, I’d say he’s the weakest link there.)

Pot kettle black, much? You’ve been raving about how the PC is the most superior platform ever, how Star Citizen is a god in game form, and those desperate feelings you have to be laid by Roberts so much that if anyone is a fanboy, you are.

I’m a PC owner, but I don’t support that elitist nonsense. How can you call other people fanboys (even going so far as to couple that with a word you should have stopped using in a pejorative way in pre-school) when you’re the biggest fanboy of them all, bar none?

Do you not even grasp the hypocrisy?

#24 4 months ago
  25. airsick7

It’s a sad state of affairs when a four man indie dev teams pours a lot of passion into an ambitious project, has a big debut, and yet… Fucking trolls on the internet who’ve probably never accomplished anything as remarkable just hurl petulant insults from their lonely throne of cynicism.

#25 4 months ago
  26. DSB

Cloud Imperium: Approximately 70 people.

Hello Games: 6 people.

Now would you please go die in a fire Erthazus.

#26 4 months ago
  27. TheWulf

…ghrghf.

To everyone else? I’m sorry.

Okay, I have to pick you up on this. Do you know anything about physics? In relation to reality or a game engine?

Often, if you’re going to do physics, you’ll want to actually try to replicate the kind of feel you’re presenting visually. Either that, or you’ll go for a more arcadey approach to make the game feel more fun to those who’ll be playing it.

Star Citizen does neither of those things.

It semi-accurately represents the movements of jets in flight, in an atmospheric environment, and then presents that as being in space. I just feel that it’s belabouring the very notion of physics to say that Star Citizen had good physics. If it had good physics, it would behave like a game set in space should, but it doesn’t. Honestly, I either think you should try to be cohesive and stick to your theme, or you shouldn’t bother at all and just go with silliness.

Do you know what happens when you toss together high-poly and high-resolution textured objects in a system that has physics that doesn’t make sense at all for them?

I do.

It’s called Second Life.

#27 4 months ago
  28. TheWulf

But yeah. When it comes to a space game, representing the infinite potential of space? This game is what I’m thinking of.

Seems like a lot of you agree. That’s neat.

#28 4 months ago
  29. TheWulf

I completely agree. The small indies continue to impress and tend to wash the bad taste out of my mouth when it comes to AAA titles.

Sometimes I feel bad for having such opinions about AAA titles, but they ruin themselves. I mean, I took a long time bringing myself around to liking Black Flag at all. I still hate the QTE nature of the assassin part of the game, I really do, but the ship battles are fun. Yet they shoot themselves in the foot by making the game look as desaturated, dreary, depressing, dingy, and dirty as a rainy day in London. That’s not what I think of when I think Mediterranean.

But when I tried it, I was sold on the ship battles, but I just couldn’t get past the horrible desaturation. I just felt that surely the art assets underneath would be lovely if I could just remove this dingy fog of doom that had settled over everything.

So I hooked up Assassin’s Creed IV with SweetFX. A lovely third person party thing. There’s a 2.0 version that works with 64-bit games, which was handy. I increased the saturation a good deal, brightened things up, sharpened the image a little, disabled motion blur and depth of field and… it actually looks really very nice. I can finally see now how nice these assets looked before their design people got their hands on them.

Do game developers think that what we want is a rainy day in London?

It’s a shame, because the art assets just needed that boost in colour and overall brightness to bring out their loveliness. And I’ve been enjoying the ship battles since then. Every time it forces me to be on foot, I hate it and keep almost getting to the point where I want to put it aside… but when I’m not doing assassin’s creed stuff and I’m being a pirate? It’s a game I can enjoy.

And I just feel that the mainstream just keeps doing this. There’s some good stuff there, but it’s hidden away under layers of brown-grey grime, quick-time events, and boringness.

Star Citizen is endemic of that.

It’s very brown-grey, dead, sterile-looking, and depressing. It has that ‘rainy day in London’ look down perfectly. I’m not sure what sort of person, no matter how much of a sadsack they are, could actually enjoy that aesthetic all the time.

I want visual character, colour, vibrance, and clever aesthetics. I want games to really stun me, to make my jaw hit the floor. Not because of fidelity or any rot like that, no, simply by the very merit of their artistic qualities. Japanese games used to do that all the time. There were points in so many Japanese games running on ancient systems (as limited as they were) where you’d just be floored by just how breath-takingly beautiful it is.

And that’s what this strikes me as. It has these gleaming cities of the future! I want that! I don’t want to be in rainy day London! I’m sick of brown-grey dystopias! Down with that! Up with this!

#29 4 months ago
  30. fihar

Robert Heinlein once said “Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig”.
    Trying to explain to Erth that there are more to games than just physics, visuals, numbers and AIs is exactly like that.
    Why. Bother.

On topic, how the fuck did they went from Joe Danger to this?
    Does this not sound too good for a $15 PSN title to you?

#30 4 months ago
  31. Erthazus

@26, Does not mean that I should care for that. Have you played the game that is made by 4 people? Nope.
    I should care about the result and that is important. when the game was announced (SC) it was made by 15 people at best and result was already much better in 2012.

@The Wulf,
    “Pot kettle black, much? You’ve been raving about how the PC is the most superior platform ever, how Star Citizen is a god in game form”

Oh stop it. This has nothing to do with PC or “Platform superiority” because Star Citizen in the end could come to consoles or tablets. I’m speaking only about The Game right now.

#31 4 months ago
  32. The_Red

@TheWulf
    Well said.

“Rainy day London” (Awesomely accurate phrase by the way) pretty much describes all modern AAA games outside Nintendo. The closest thing to a more vibrant game that I can think of is Borderlands 2 and even that had some UE3 related problems.

Thanks for the AC4 link. I wasn’t sure and some of the screens felt too close but then I saw these 2:

Back to Star Citizen, I believe that game has bigger problems than grey / dead look (Though agree about standalone assets / physics stuff just laying there).
    SC feels like some sort vaporware or even money scam. Maybe I’m just too cynical but as we talked before on comments, every single month we get 1 or 2 news updates about them reaching 1 more million dollars in funding. The way that game keeps focusing on money updates for such a long time is rather suspicious. What sort of project continues doing that for a year and half?

Plus if a 4-7 man team can make something as insane as No Man’s Sky, the rather large team of Star Citizen with more than 30 million dollars in funding should create something that’s bigger than 10 Witcher 3s combined.

#32 4 months ago
  33. Erthazus

^ Bullshit at it’s finest.

Money-scam is where devs are trying to make a project where you need to fund 34 million or it will never be released.

The game is an open-source right now and you can add the money or just forget about it. They had kickstarter. They finished it’s project and just started it’s own open-source funding so if people wanted the game to have new features? Fund the game. Not? It’s still going to be released with standard feature set that devs promised in it’s kickstarter page.

People give money because it looks AWESOME and will be awesome.

Have you ever played Wing Commander 3? Wing Commander 3 from 1995 >>>>> No Man’s Sky in million years.

“Plus if a 4-7 man team can make something as insane as No Man’s Sky”

“procedurally generated content” is not insane. That’s laziness or “lack of resources” because you will never make something beautiful or polished stuff with this no matter how much people you have in the team and so far it is just a lack of resources.

Besides, there is no real experience in Joe Danger team to make Flying simulator and Cloud Imperium team makes Sci-fi simulation games for 23+ years

The fact that Ship’s physics and proper AI system for the flight simulation is Calculating the power of each thruster in vectors and dynamically communicates with the ships onboard computer like in real Lighting F-35 shows how much detailed Star Citizen is.

Wake me up when No Man’s Sky will have at least that and yeah, decent economy.

So far I saw crappy looking planet with the ship that has 8 polygons in it with no real physics. – No Man’s Sky. If someone saying that it is good looking or fun to play then he is a console fanboy that never played wing commander/Starlancer games.

#33 4 months ago
  34. Gekidami

You’re only noticing this now?!

#34 4 months ago
  35. manamana

Great effort is beeing showed in the trailer but makes me hope to get my fingers onto the new Battlefront so much more, when seeing the transition from the surface into space.

#35 4 months ago
  36. polygem

game looks great. loving the artstyle!

#36 4 months ago
  37. Darkfield

Honestly it looks quite good, looking forward to it.

#37 4 months ago
  38. Tr0n

Call me when Star Citizen will have procedurally generated worlds that are fully explorable and a seamless transition from space/land and vice versa.

Also, completely different games.

#38 4 months ago
  39. YoungZer0

Oh man. Dat colors. Dat Art-Direction. Da- “It’s a massively multiplayer world”.

WHY O’ WHY?!

I was about to completely fall in love with this game.

#39 4 months ago
  40. abdooltk

WITH SOUNDS just amazing

#40 4 months ago
  41. Armitage Shanks

Looks amazing.This has instantly jumped to one of my most anticipated games,really looking forward to seeing more footage and hearing more info on this title.On another note,why does anyone bother replying to Erthazus on here? i mean isn’t he this sites resident joke? or village idiot if you will.

#41 4 months ago
  42. TheWulf

In a way, I guess I feel bad for him. He seems so… brainwashed? It bothers me, I think. It reminds me of when people are arguing over console platforms and it’s like… why are you doing that? They’re both equally good machines, and they’re just stuff we play games on. Nothing is superior or inferior, they’re just different by nature.

I can understand preferences (and I have my own preferences for open systems, because I love mods, I’ve even recently restarted New Vegas with a fresh concoction of mods because I missed that game and Obsidian’s writing), but saying that a platform is outright superior?

And Star Citizen just plays up to that… propaganda? I AM A PC GAME. So, Star Citizen? So? Why do I care?

Now, I’d sit up in my chair if it said I AM A MULTI-PLATFORM GAME THAT SUPPORTS MODDING, but they’re not going to do that. They don’t have that mindset. They’re basically trying to turn the PC into another console, forcing people into brand wars.

I think we should be better than that. I think Erth could be a decent person with decent advice if he’d just stop with the propaganda and realise he’s allowed himself to be brainwashed a bit by it all. Yes, Erth, you have a PC. Whoop-dee-doo, so do I. So do many people. It’s nothing to brag about, bragging about it is frankly imbecilic.

Now, this? This game is probably going to be multi-platform! I doubt this one will stay on the PC as Hello Games has experience with the consoles, so it’ll probably land on the next generation consoles. It may not support mods, but at least it will be released across all formats.

Multi-platform is not a sin.

#42 4 months ago
  43. TheWulf

The way they describe it here and elsewhere, it sounds “massively multiplayer,” yes. In air-quotes. Why air-quotes? Because Freelancer was also that. I suspect that how they’re going to handle it is that people will be able to run their own servers in the same way that you could with Freelancer, or the way you can with Starbound.

So you can have a server populated with hundreds of people, or it could be just you and you alone, or just you and your friends. I would be frankly very surprised if they’re not doing it that way. You need infrastructure for an MMO of that scale, and letting your well off consumer base provide that infrastructure rather than doing so yourself makes so much more sense for an indie dev.

#43 4 months ago
  44. TheWulf

Regarding AC4 and mainstream titles — I know, right?

I actually have my presets up a little more vibrant than they do, even. And do you know what it feels like? It feels like I’ve cleaned off my monitor and I can see the game for the first time. The vanilla experience is like my monitor is covered in grime and soot, and I just want to wipe it all away to see the game that lays beneath.

And when I added in SweetFX and tinkered with the settings, I could finally see it. Hidden behind all of that grime and soot were some truly lovely art assets. For the first time, they’d made something genuinely colourful and interesting looking — and then they felt they had to hide that, as if it were some sort of taboo? Why? Why was Ubisoft ashamed of having something that looks pretty?

And that’s my beef.

Skyrim and so many other games had the same problem. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was actually good in that regard, because it was a colourful game, but one that wasn’t ashamed of being so. Because of that, I was happy to welcome it as an official entry to the series. I’ll level with you, the only part that irritated me about Deus Ex: HR was that I had to kill the bosses.

I’m a security guy in that game, I don’t want to be a murderer. :C I want to disable those guys, I want to fry their electronics and leave them unconscious, but otherwise alive. I want to turn them over to the cops and let the cops handle them. Instead, though, I had to kill them. That just felt like such a mainstream inclusion — to force the player to kill. Other than that, though? Other than that little blemish? DX:HR is what I wish all mainstream games were.

I wish all mainstream games were colourful, vibrant, had visual charisma, and allowed me to play without killing.

I mean, you can look at a shot of most AAA games and shrug, it’ll be some game or other, but they all do the ‘rainy day London’ thing so well that you can barely tell them apart. But if you drop a shot of Deus Ex: HR? That’s instantly recognisable. Why? They didn’t cover up their beautiful art assets and wonderful art direction with gunk, that’s why!

But yeah. I wanted to like AC IV because I did like the ship battles from III. But the desaturation was too much, it felt like my monitor was so dirty and grimy, it made me unclean. It was nice to wash all of the dirt out of that Welshman’s eyes to let him see for the first time.

And what was seen was worth seeing.

I’m genuinely enjoying the ship battles and ship content in AC IV, now. I even enjoy exploring the islands, you know? I don’t like the combat, but then I’ve never liked AC IV content. I believe I have a valid reason for not liking it — everything about how AC IV combat works (especially in cities where you have to run in and out of it) is basically a quick-time event. Hold-button to run, press A when shown, press X when shown, press B to kill. Guh. Not my thing.

But the ship battles? Oh, those are glorious. And even a bit silly with all those sea shanties and stuff.

With the ship battles and SweetFX, I can see where some people at Ubisoft actually had some passion in their work, I can see why it could be enjoyable. And I can understand. I grok the appeal. I find it appealing. But I wouldn’t even have found it accessible if not for SweetFX in the first place.

That probably makes me weird to most people, but I’m tired of most games making me feel like my screen (monitor or telly) is covered in dirt, grime, and soot. It keeps making me want to just grab a rag and some cleaning fluid, but that dirtiness is coming from the game itself.

Games look so, so much better without that. Whoever thought that all of this dystopian desaturation and griminess was a good thing?

On the topic of Star Citizen…

That’s what bugs me. I keep telling people to be wary because it feels like a rip-off. It’s the way they’re handling it. Most people would (and have) made fun of me for this, so my skin is thick to it now, but I’ve actually studied a lot of psychology. And moreover, I have a friend who’s studying abnormal pyschology in University right now.

We both think that Star Citizen looks like marketing. It’s designed to compel you to want to drop more money on it without actually knowing what it is or what it will do for you. It’s basically designed to make you pay for a product that you might not even get, or might not be the same. It’s similar to how an infomercial works.

That’s the problem.

You can sit down with a Star Citizen video and at the end, what do you get? All I feel is that I was just exposed to another infomercial. And being familiar with marketing and the psychology involved, I don’t feel instantly compelled to rush to the phone to give them my bank details.

In fact, I often have to wrestle the phone away from family members when they do that. Whenever I visit them and I see them doing that I tend to dive for the phone, stop them, and do my best to slowly explain to them what’s going on.

People aren’t ready to believe that they’re easily manipulated.

Star Citizen and Erth proves that everything I’m saying is true.

This is why I don’t like brand wars, brand propaganda, and people becoming brand zombies. I’ve talked about this before, because it genuinely upsets me. It turns people against each other. MMOs use the same tricks to make people forfeit their real world friends and responsibilities, for friends and responsibilities in the game (which it makes more valid than RL to them). And I’ve lost two good friends that way.

I still visit the blog of one of them, every now and then, just wondering when he’ll snap out of it and when I’ll get him back…

I liked him. I miss him. And he’s not even himself any more.

But people are easily manipulated.

Whereas this video clearly shows us gameplay in progress, in its first video, it’s not designed like an infomercial with sexy cars, either. It’s just showing us what they actually have to offer. If Star Citizen were that honest, and just showed us people playing the game, then I’d be less leery of it.

Maybe I’ve become distrustful in my old age, too, but often the world gives me good reason to be. The most innocuous and innocent looking things can sometimes be the most dangerous.

#44 4 months ago
  45. A Zombie Riot

Hey, Erthazus. Can you please just shut up and let everyone have their own damn opinions? Thanks.

#45 4 months ago
  46. manamana

Wow thewulf in full narcism mode, writing essays once again.

#46 4 months ago
  47. DSB

Probably forgot to take his pills.

#47 4 months ago
  48. Panthro

“Wow this game sure looks swell”

“Not as swell as Star Citizen looks”

“Oh but my dear boy, Star Citizen’s budget is through the roof! This was made by 4 men and a small sum of money its a tidy accomplishment I tell you that”

“You old fool, the feature sets of this game were already announced in Star Citizen a long time ago, this is nothing new… SC is next gen!”

*Another guy saunters into the conversation*

“Erth; stop being so damn nasty, you are being very unpleasant”

“Yeah Erth, stop being such a nasty pasty about No Mans Sky, its made by a small team, you are such a PC elitist”

“Fellow chaps, when SC got announced it was being made by 15 people and it already had such positive results, I am no elitist I assure you”

“I think Star Citizen looks as gloomy as a mid autumn rainy morning in London, I think its a scam.”

“SCAM!? It looks like a dandy game so people are donating there money so the developers can make further improvements, how dare thee make such allegations…Physics Fizzics AI Simulation flight…”

*The Wulf unshackles his paws and grabs Erth by the head and begins screaming relentlessly into his face smothering his monacle in a thick layer of spit and logic*

^Short version of this article.

#48 4 months ago
  49. manamana

^ awesome, once again, great work. Your slowly building up the dialogues for a tragicomedy? ;-)

#49 4 months ago