Destiny will be released in September, beta coming in summer 2014 – watch VGX trailer

Sunday, 8th December 2013 00:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bungie announced the release date for Destiny overnight, as all of you are aware of by now.

The date was dropped on the official Facebook page for the game, and later on the Bungie website.

“Destiny has always represented a new beginning for our team. It was born from brave possibilities,” said the developer. “We dreamed of a renewed and independent Bungie. We found partners willing to bet big on some crazy new ideas with us.

“We first shared the design pillars of Destiny less than one year ago. We promised to redefine what players should expect from a Bungie game. We said we wanted to change the way people play games together. We set our bar high. For us, Destiny represents a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Destiny will launch worldwide on September 9 and the Destiny Beta will kick off in the summer of 2014, first on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

The game will also be released on Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

The latest information on the game came out of the new edition of Game Informer. Read all about it here.

1. Legendaryboss

With both the Beta and the Game delayed there is a problem, it is launching just a few weeks or 2 months from the next COD? Next AC? Next EA titles? And Unknown titles?

#1 8 months ago
  2. polygem

no problem. this game will redefine shooters on consoles. zero doubts about it.

#2 8 months ago
  3. manamana

Lolz@poly! I’m also confident that Bungie will deliver an outstanding game.

#3 8 months ago
  4. polygem

it’s THE game for me right now. i’m loving every tiny little bit of artdesign they’ve shown this far. it just pushes all of my buttons. reach, to me, was the best halo game. everything was great, even the menues and that starting screen have been perfect. i truly love that game and to me it’s definitely in my top 3 of the last gen. i know many would disagree about reach but i really couldn’t find much to ctiticise there. if this game is any indication of things to come, i’m not worried.

i just dig that bungie style. i really do. it’s great atmospheric artdesign presented in a clear, colourful and straight way. the design is bold, clear and strong, details are reduced, the games play buttersmooth. bungie will deliver. they always have. exciting stuff.

#4 8 months ago
  5. bradk825

I’m with Poly on this one. This is the biggest game I’m looking forward to that’s currently announced.

#5 8 months ago
  6. manamana

And let me add: they have Marty O’Donnell. End of story.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Delsin Row

gimme gimme gimme
    cant wait to play this game on my ps4
    the ps4 version also have exclusive content :D
    also i think this game is gonna beat titanfall

#7 8 months ago
  8. Erthazus

@2. For fanboys and people who never played FPS before. Because this game will not redefine anything. It is a MMOFPS that was done before long time ago with World of Warcraft matchmaking system.

#8 8 months ago
  9. derpachu

Lol @ the people who pre ordered a game that’s coming out in like 10 months

#9 8 months ago
  10. manamana

Oh look who walks into the party and all ladies go home: it’s the Erthatwatstatus!

Edit: seriously, planetside2 is also already out. That doesn’t mean that they have that certain Bungie vibe (graphics/soundtrack/gameplay)…
    But hey, we are just fanboys with shitty POS consoles that can’t even do 4k like your 1999 laptop …

#10 8 months ago
  11. Erthazus

Oh look who ruins the party: It’s the Console fanboys.

P.S. and Planetside 2 has nothing to do with it. Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS without persistent world. It’s a massively multiplayer game.

#11 8 months ago
  12. viralshag

I actually agree with Erth on this one. I think the game will be good, or at least I hope so but I don’t think this will redefine anything. It is essentially a MMOFPS. It’s not exactly a new concept.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Erthazus

^ +1. If they are going to do everything right. That’s great. but nothing earth shattering. I’m still confused on the whole matchmaking system that matches other random players. Sort of Guild Wars 1.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Delsin Row

Erthazus @
    what are you want to say?are you a fan boy?
    because i have 360 and ps3 with ps4(thank god i didnt get xbox one)
    there is no reason i wanna be against titanfall

#14 8 months ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

I think the biggest issue here is the fact that Activision have slotted this to release right next to the blatantly obvious Black Ops 3.

Two major AAA FPSs that will be targeting the same audience, getting released close enough to each other, that one of them is almost certainly going to suffer a serious loss in sales.

There are really only two possible reasons for that…

1. The game isn’t shaping up like they expect it to, and they just want to get it released, having spent all that money on it.

This is likely to be the case if they have a long term contract (which they do) that stipulates a release every ‘x’ years, and September is the final slot that they can release in without slipping into Q1 2015, and messing the entire long term schedule up, and ruining the contract from the get-go.

If this is the case, then you can pretty much forget any hopes of this being anything more than a ’7 out of 10, could do better, wait for the next version’ game.

2. Black Ops 3 is skipping a year.

Now… I know which one of those I think is closer to the truth, and it’s not the second one.

People might say that there is a third reason, but I don’t think so.

No publisher, especially one as savvy as Activision, releases two AAA games of the same genre so close together.

Especially not FPSs that are designed to last for hundreds and hundreds of hours, and keep players investing time and money in, months after release.

It’s throwing money down the drain.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Panthro

I don’t get the whole ‘Destiny will redefine shooters’ thing; I mean it looks cool, I like Bungie (Who doesn’t, Halo 1 and 2 were masterpieces) but I haven’t seen anything to be overly excited about…

Although it is cool they are going multiplatform this time around, I give Bungie a high five for that.

#16 8 months ago
  17. manamana

@15 how are they targeting the same audience? A corridor twitchshooter with bombast SP versus an MMOFPS in an persistant galaxy? Writing it off now as a 7 of 10? What the heck?

#17 8 months ago
  18. derpachu

Except Planetside 2 is completely shit.
    Laggy too. This games looks pretty dull too.

Probably won’t be nearly as bad as planetside 2

#18 8 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@17:

If you like playing online with your friends, and you like FPSs, and you like ranking up and getting XP, you will generally like both of these games.

Not the hardcore, but the majority. The majority will play either, but not both.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

I feel that this game is being overhyped too much, it looks great yes, except for the animations though. But i have never been a big Bungie fan, so we’ll see.

#20 8 months ago
  21. bradk825

I know I plan to play both. I don’t know if a huge number of the COD crowd will pick up Destiny compared to the Halo crowd or Mass Effect crowd though.

#21 8 months ago
  22. Dragon

@Ghz,
    Or,
    3. Acti believes CoD is truly in a downward spiral, and Destiny is their next big thing.

Seems very probable to me. But we will see.

#22 8 months ago
  23. TheBlackHole

Split screen campaign co-op, or GTFO.

You can’t talk about redefining the way people play together if that essentially means making them play apart.

Lack of commitment to this game type sends me the tell tale signs of a cop out. I’m dreading the inevitable ‘ we’ve got a glorified horde mode’ thing.

#23 8 months ago
  24. bradk825

@22 People have been saying COD is in a downward spiral for 5 years now. How’s that working out so far?

#24 8 months ago
  25. G1GAHURTZ

@22:

Possible?

Definitely.

Probable?

I don’t think so. Especially not now that the Black Ops series is regarded as the best of the entire CoD franchise. That would be a whole lot of eggs to be shoving into Bungie’s basket, and all for an, as yet, unproven IP…

#25 8 months ago
  26. bradk825

@25 Indeed. Dumping a long-established franchise, the most successful in history, for an unproven IP is not Activision’s style at all.

The do have a habit of finding unproven IPs and proving them though, lol. COD and Skylanders would be the best examples, not to mention all the MechWarrior back in the day sold pretty good.

#26 8 months ago
  27. polygem

i’ve been listening to the bungie podcast recently and the guys sound superoptimistic. they’re talking about the details of the galaxy/ worlddesign and weapon balancing with a passion…it all sounds really promising and it doesn’t sound like they have to rush things. this project was planned a long time ago and it totally makes sense.

by the way, i said “this game will redefine shooters on consoles”… on. consoles. and i think that will indeed be the case. they’ll be the first to release a game with these dimensions and scale on homeconsoles.
    i love console gaming. i am excited. easy as that.
    i also believe that this game will be on a whole new level qualitywise if you compare it to the mmoish fps’s the pc already has. but yeah, i’m bungienuts. not ashamed of that though.
    we’ll soon find out and i for one can’t wait.

#27 8 months ago
  28. Legendaryboss

One more thing I just noticed this is a GTA 5 styled delay. Thats all.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Stephany Nunneley

VGX trailer is posted in here.

#29 8 months ago
  30. Ireland Michael

You know what? That trailer finally converted me. That was surprisingly decent.

I’ll remain cautiously optimistic until release.

#30 8 months ago
  31. Erthazus

Trailer was not really that great but the game looks really good gameplay wise.

#31 8 months ago
  32. Oh no its Colt

09/09/14
    There are two 9s
    14/2
    GOTY

#32 8 months ago
  33. G1GAHURTZ

Video removed.

#33 8 months ago
  34. debug

I was not holding my breath for this game, but the combat reminds me of Mass Effect 3 Multi. It was fun. I think any Mass Effect fan will love this. But yeah I don’t think it will ‘redefine’ anything, but who cares. It looks like it’ll be fun.

#34 8 months ago
  35. Gekidami

I’ve just realised something; Its only coming out pretty close to the end of 2014… Yet theres still going to be a PS3 & 360 version? Why? At that point all games released should be made for the PS4/XB1 gen, we shouldnt be getting last gen ports still.

#35 8 months ago
  36. manamana

Looks great and I also think that they carry a heavy burden by supporting last-gen consoles.

#36 8 months ago
  37. abdooltk

WITH SOUNDS

#37 8 months ago
  38. viralshag

@27, even on consoles it’s not really new…. Defiance was already doing this. Just not very well and in third person.

#38 8 months ago