The Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 – Smoke & Mirrors introduces Fables staple Jack

Friday, 6th December 2013 16:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Wolf Among Us has a couple new screenshots available, showing off Episode 2: Smoke & Mirrors.

The screenshots were posted over on Telltale’s blog, with the developer stating that the episode is “close to completion.”

In the next installment, players will be introduced to the character Jack who is described as “a sharp-tongued rogue.” Jack, as in Jack and the Beanstalk, has been a staple character in the Fables series since issue one, and has his own spin-off, Jack of Fables.

You will also notice the club from the series in the shots called Pudding & Pie.

“We wanted to thank everyone for playing the first chapter in The Wolf Among Us, and ask for your patience as the team works very hard this month to finalize what is shaping up to be another episode full of surprises,” said Telltale.

“We’re anticipating another update on its ETA for release very soon after the holidays, and we couldn’t be more excited to continue this series with all of you.”

1. Sadismek

I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it!

I haven’t read the comics, but the idea is just brilliant. Taking our childhood characters and turn them into the (possible) modern counterparts, with a brush of noire… it’s amazing. Everyone try it now, even more when you’ll find out TellTale have out-done themselves!

Now, how may I get my paws on those meaty comics… :P

#1 12 months ago
  2. GodessOfReason

Jack is indeed a staple character, but he and Jack of Jack and the Beanstalk are completely different characters. This one is of such fame as Jack and the Candlestick and Jack Frost and many other random characters (usually tricksters) with the name Jack.

#2 12 months ago
  3. TheWulf

The first episode of this was mesmerising. I usually need to be doing more than one thing at once because of how my mind works, so I’ll rarely just be playing a game. Though that is how it was for the first episode.

It melded together some of my favourite things, after all. The mundane fantastic is always a fun setting to play around with, and throw in a splash of noire and you have something genuinely interesting. Plus, this is the first time I’ve been a werewolf detective since Discworld Noir! Thanks to that game, I’m going to be a little disappointed if Bigby doesn’t ever use his nose, but eh, I’ll live.

So far, though? So very, very good. And, frankly, superior to The Walking Dead on every level. TWD was okay, but it was very melancholy, which means that a lot of it I didn’t actually enjoy playing, even though I could respect that it was an intelligent and well put-together game.

TWAU is… almost silly, by comparison. It has its funny moments, and it certainly has some stand-out and memorable characters, perhaps the best of which thus far being Mr. Toad. I enjoyed it, and I’m very much looking forward to more.

I will say as a caveat that I could do with more of the detective work and less of the QTE action brawls, but I accept that they’re part of a noir story. And it bothers me less because Bigby isn’t killing anyone. If the story turns in such a way when he does start doing that, then they may just lose me, but as of yet he hasn’t had the need.

I like detective stories, and I like my detectives actually having a heart of gold, despite their gruff exterior. Thus far, that’s Bigby to a tee.

And honestly, having read some of the comics? Telltale’s version is so, so much better. If you read the comics after being exposed to their take, you’re going to be very disappointed. Bigby goes from being a gruff, yet ultimately likeable character (who’s a softy, really) in TWAU, to being a complete arsehole who’s unable to stop cramming right wing views down the throat of anyone who may just listen in the comics. So, yeah, Telltale’s version is much better.

So if you were worried about this because of the comics, don’t be!

#3 12 months ago
  4. tezzer1985

When is this coming to Vita

#4 12 months ago
  5. jaypeon

this jack is the same jack as jack and the beanstock

#5 12 months ago
  6. angry_nation

is this as choppy (framerate) as the walking dead was, in parts, on 360?

#6 12 months ago
  7. wishdokta

I didn’t experience lags in TWD. But TWAU had issues after loading new areas. Like the loading screen wasn’t done properly. Once loaded the scene ran smoothly.

#7 11 months ago