inFamous: Second Son moral choices explained by Sucker Punch

Friday, 6th December 2013 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

inFamous: Second Son will – like its predecessors – offer players with moral quandaries along the way. Developer Sucker Punch has discussed the nature of Delsin Rowe’s dalliances int the worlds of good and evil.

It follows this batch of inFamous: Second Son screens, which show off Delsin’s new neon power-set.

Now, speaking with OPM, creative director Nate Fox said of the moral system, “Delsin is an all new character, part of an all-new story and the player gets in at ground zero. Second Son is Delsin’s origin story and because our game lets you choose if you want to be good or evil, you get to decide how he grows as a person and how the people around him are changed by his choices”.

He added that players will, naturally, start out neutral and transform into either a hero or anti-hero. This veering will dictate where the story goes and how Delsin’s super powers evolve over time, but interestingly, is dictated by smaller events instead of large, binary problems.

Fox continued, “When he gets powers, he becomes suddenly very high profile. People are horrified by him. He’s a bioterrorist, he’s out in the city where everybody wants to put him in a cage. But that means that his every action is noticed by people in the city, and even the world”. This triggers an existence full of little choices that can ultimately lead to bigger outcomes.

Coining an example, Fox explained, “Somebody might try to surrender to you in the middle of a fight and put their arms up. You could violently execute them or take them down alive. Do you know how hard it is to take down everyone alive? And when you do it, you feel like a superhero because you actually did the work.

“Choosing to be a good guy or a bad guy, that’s the simple choice. The harder thing to do is, are you capable of walking the walk? And that’s where the game comes alive in terms of karma in my mind”.

Are you pumped for inFamous: Second Son? Want more? Here’s my impressions of the game from a behind-closed-doors session at gamescom.

1. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

I always want to take the evil path but end up playing as a good guy anyway. I guess it’s just my nature.

#1 10 months ago
  2. RPRezo

So, no grey area once again. Niiiice.

#2 10 months ago
  3. darkshale

Nuance would be nice.

I am reading into this but I would represent this with gameplay as with a weighted threshold. Ex. you have 20 enemies in the level if you kill 5 enemies you would be seen as a greater threat by the community with one weighted NPC who clearly wants to live.

This could be played with using hostages who have a value and can allow for more accidents. A ramping up of difficulty in keeping NPCs alive combined with tiered rewards would give players more goals.

This would also work in reverse and with a true anti hero who kills anyone who threatens him while saving any caught in the middle.

Grey areas are easy to play it never quite making the player choose to be something but with out a carrot to reward them and a stick to challenge them they become bored.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Clupula

I always end up playing “evil,” even though what I try to do is just play games with moral choices how I’d react if I were in that situation in real life.

I guess that means I should never have superpowers.

#4 10 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

I like playing as a good character in inFamous (despite the writing), because it’s so much harder to play. It’s also much more interesting when you actually fail as a hero and do kill an enemy or an innocent bystander is killed in the crossfire.

My best experience with that set of moral obligation was in DX:HR where I actually managed to save my pilot, knock out all the enemies, and destroy a drone, while also carrying away the one unconscious enemy, who was lying near the drone. Whenever you destroy a drone it would always explode, so I made sure he wouldn’t die in the blast.

So while I was dragging away an enemy from the potential explosion his friends were still shooting at me.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Isaaclarke37

Moral choices in this game were very interesting, i never got to see the bad endings of both inFamous 1 & 2. Still knowing that choices are back to influence the story and how a very small decision can make a huge difference this is a real treat.

#6 10 months ago
  7. absolutezero

The moral “choices” in Infamous were far from that. It was a binary decision between being nice and being nasty. I did like how the powers and even characters branched more in the second game in comparison to the first, I mean you end up with a completely different set of secondary powers depending on what moral tree you have been following. Just less of the old Blue is nice Red is even hit your button now stuff.

The actual moral compass comes when your playing the game itself, something the Mass Effect series never even attempted to approach.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Agt_Pendergast

I usually went with the good choices, not for any moral reasons, I just found the good powers to be better. Concentrated firepower and the ice powers were just better imo.

#8 10 months ago
  9. revolting

So, the same as inFamous 1 & 2, then. This is both non-news and good news.

#9 10 months ago