PS4 share function used 6.5 million times since console launched

Thursday, 5th December 2013 12:27 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 gamers have published over 6.5 million shares from the console since it launched, Sony has confirmed.

We’ve been using this feature a lot here at the VG247 orbital news strike platform. I watched Pat swearing at Assassin’s Creed 4 last week. It was brilliant.

Using the share function, PS4 gamers can post screenshots and videos online, and even stream to Twitch and Ustream. It works really well. Xbox One however, hasn’t received Twitch streaming, something Microsoft had touted heavily for the console’s launch.

Would you like to see us stream more PS4 content here on the site with commentary? Let us know what you think below.

1. absolutezero

and no ones watched a single one of them.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Delsin Row

@ Dave
    Have You Try It Yet?is it awesome?
    I still waiting for my pre order :|

#2 8 months ago
  3. tenthousandgothsonacid

A week ago I wouldn’t have seen the point but now I’ve been using it for a few days I understand its brilliance. I don’t know how we survived without it.

#3 8 months ago
  4. lexph3re

The share button is wonderful. I seen some awesome stuff already and can’t wait to see more. Saw a friends share of nba live 14 where he tried a 2 pointer right before the shot clock missed, then the computer launched it from the other end and landed am impossible 3 lol. Was moments like that share has become a awesome feature .

And as the game catalog increase we can go on live play and watch games first hand instead of chasing YouTube down. Gives us better insight on games the a quick trailer and a few reviews

#4 8 months ago
  5. melonbuster1

Haven’t used it once since finding out that it was a reason most systems bricked .. 5 of my friends found out that the hard way

#5 8 months ago
  6. Christopher Jack

@3, I knew when they announced it, it was to be incredibly popular/useful for legendary & funny/glitchy moments like #4 mentioned.

#6 8 months ago
  7. _LarZen_

Have live streamed almost all the time I have played, why not? It’s so easy and fast to set up..

But I really hope they add support for Youtube so I can upload gameclips there. And some way to get my pictures out without spamming Facebook.

Many I have on Facebook don’t mind game related posts, but I do not want to spam the ones I know do not care for it.

#7 8 months ago
  8. pukem0n

this is like facebook status updates.

everybody makes it and uses them, nobody except some NSA employee in a cubicle reads them.

#8 8 months ago
  9. ayb91

@2 tried*

#9 8 months ago
  10. NokkonWud

And I still can’t figure out the video recording on it. Ended up with 9gb of unwanted files over the last 48 hours alone.

Why not have a clear “Start” and “Stop” when activating the record as well as having a constant running feed where you can record the last 60 seconds (like Xbox One’s ‘Record That’ feature, but 60 seconds instead of 30, which is just too short.)

I also wouldn’t complain if we had a proper editor in there like the Xbox One, that’s really great, would benefit the whole share thing on Playstation 4.

#10 8 months ago
  11. _LarZen_

When you click the share button it automatically stores the last 15min of gameplay. But if you double click the share button you start recording from that moment for 15min.

I think you can change this and see how it’s sett up if you click the share button while in the PS4 start screen and click the Options button on the controller.

#11 8 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

@5 – I havent heard that it bricked any consoles, do you know the exact issue?
    I havent streamed anything but I have captured gameplay and watched but not uploaded it anywhere yet. I don’t care for the upload to facebook or twitter, and would rather have the ability to place it on a USB flash drive or upload it to youtube.

I have watched a bit of streaming though, pretty cool.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Spider Law

Yeah. It’s an amazing feature. I watch my friends play live and what not. I go the the Live section at least a half hour a day. Plus i love seeing cool clips as mentioned by Lex.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Legion

Wait… when Microsoft gives out stats like this then the internet Fanboys hype the situation to some poor comparison of stats versus sales numbers. But Sony now showing similar marketing scheme and nothing…? the hypocrisy of it all.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Djoenz

These are not game stats. As soon as Sony announces game stats we will bitch as well. This is a new feature. Some ppl are just ignorant. . .

#15 8 months ago