PC shipments to fall by 10.1% in 2013 and an additional 3.8% in 2014 – IDC report

Wednesday, 4th December 2013 20:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IDC predicts in its latest report on the PC industry that shipments will fall by 10.1% in 2013 and will decline an additional 3.8% in 2014 before numbers show positive growth long-term.

Total PC shipments will hit 300 million units in 2013, just a bit above what was shipped in 2008.

“Perhaps the chief concern for future PC demand is a lack of reasons to replace an older system,” said Jay Chou, senior research analyst. “While IDC research finds that the PC still remains the primary computing device – for example, PCs are used more hours per day than tablets or phones – PC usage is nonetheless declining each year as more devices become available. And despite industry efforts, PC usage has not moved significantly beyond consumption and productivity tasks to differentiate PCs from other devices.

“As a result, PC lifespans continue to increase, thereby limiting market growth.”

IDC feels 2-in-1 devices which function has both tablets and notebooks will help drive growth, and the firm sees Windows-based tablets shipping 29.3 million units in 2017 up from 7.5 million in 2013.

Thanks, Daily Tech.

1. TheWulf

This actually fits my predicted model. And I call that model “people really hate Windows 8.

What’s happening is that instead of buying a Dell, a Compaq, or whatever from a store, people are now going to smaller businesses and specialist builders who can put Windows 7 on their computer for them. If you look at news around the time that Vista was released, sales of big business-made computers dropped then, too.

Ultimately? PC consumers aren’t stupid. They do their research. And most of them have already used a computer and they know that Windows 8 is for tablets, not for computers. That if you want a computer OS, an OS for a computer, you’re going to want Windows 7 instead.

I just hope that Microsoft learns from this, but they probably won’t.

But yeah, this happens every time Microsoft pulls a stupid. Me, Vista, and now 8. It’s a repeating pattern. And it’s obvious it’ll happen because the big business builders tend to only use the very latest OS. Want a Windows 7 computer? Tough. Dell has formatted all of their computers, and they’re now all running Windows 8.

They’re stupid like that, too.

So, yeah. This is going to be a boom for smaller businesses, and that’s a good thing, honestly. People need to stop buying these cheap, nasty things and buy computers made by people who know what they’re doing. They won’t be paying three times over just for the name then, either.

Edit: Notice ’08 is mentioned in the article as another low-point. That was just before Windows 7 was released in mid-’09. That proves my point. The reason sales were so bad in ’08 was because everyone hated Vista, and everyone was waiting for 7.

This is one of the reasons I’d like to see the gaming OS of the PC platform become Linux. Because Microsoft is stupid. :I

#1 5 months ago
  2. Panthro

^ What he said.

#2 5 months ago
  3. DarkElfa

Why would anyone ever buy a pre-built machine? Seriously, my dog could build a PC.

#3 5 months ago
  4. ysleiro

@#1 TheWulf

My friend, you are complicating a simple situation.

The fall in demand for PCs can be more easily attributed to the increased demand of “other” computing devices. Namely tablets and smartphones.

All things come to an equilibrium and PCs shipments have been high since the inception of PCs because the major functions of PCs could not be replicated by any other devices.

With the modern smartphone/tablet enabling folks to do many of the tasks they previously required a PC for of course PC shipments will trend downwards toward an equilibrium.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Panthro

I think nothing wrong of normal people/ business’ who aren’t going to use the PCs for gaming buying pre Built machines, people who only want to check emails, occasionally browse and do office work etc have no need for building a rig themselves when a cheap PC with no real power can easily be bought from a store, just plain and simple convenience…

For gaming though, I spit on the lazy fools who pay those crazy prices!

#5 5 months ago
  6. Max Payne

Correct me if I am wrong , but this is pre build PC’s and not parts ?
    I remember that Nvidia posted something like 500% increase in sales when BF3 was suppose to come out. So there is now software right now that you have to buy new whole new PC.

#6 5 months ago
  7. DSB

NOBODY MENTION TABLETS AND SMARTPHONES.

@6 Sales of gaming PCs and hardware is up by about 5%. The PC market is shrinking because people are using smartphones and tablets to browse and check their e-mail, so the casual user no longer needs a POS e-mail/web console from Dell or Lenovo.

That market is gonna continue shrinking as the functionality of tablets and smartphones increase. And that’s obviously bad news for anyone involved with selling PC hardware.

A lot of people are worried about AMD because they don’t really own any of the major markets right now.

They snagged consoles, but that might see them moving hardware for something like 100-120 million units over 10 years, whereas obviously, the PC moves something like 70-80 million units per quarter.

#7 5 months ago
  8. lolatfanboys

Well if the PC market is getting some competition I´m all for it. Still alot room for growth, with like 7-8 billion people on this planet…go pc

#8 5 months ago
  9. Cobra951

“Perhaps the chief concern for future PC demand is a lack of reasons to replace an older system”

Ding! ding! ding! We have a winner . . .

#9 5 months ago
  10. ArithonUK

@1 Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. Anyone not putting it on a new PC is crazy. Metro is crap. It’s to Win8 what IE6 was to XP. Just replace it with a free START plug-in and get on with your faster PC life.

New PC’s are not selling because nothing has come along to tax the PC bought in 2009 that is still running just dandy.
    Why spend £500 on a new PC, when a new cooler, a quick dust-out and a new SSD drive costs £150 for the same end result?

If PC makers want PC demand to rise, then bang on Intel and AMD’s doors and shout at them. Use words like “innovate” and “compete”. A lot.

Because currently, whether I spend £400 or £2000, I would only get a machine a few percent faster than the 2010 PC I already have and that isn’t reason to upgrade. I don’t have money to burn.

When I can buy an AMD octo-core 4000Hz machine or an Intel Core i8 PC that’s twice as fast as my Core i7 and a get a video card as fast as the nVidia TITAN for £100, then sign me up.

Until then I will just have to “make do” with my old PC that runs BF4 at 63fps on Ultra… time to tough it out.

#10 5 months ago
  11. FabioPal

@10 +1

These sales figures about “PC” are just useless.

As I said, they’re trying to treat the PC as a console or a TV or a DVR, which is not.

#11 5 months ago