Gran Turismo 6′s microtransactions detailed – £120 for Jaguar XJ13

Wednesday, 4th December 2013 22:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Gran Turismo’s most expensive vehicle, the Jaguar XJ13, will cost £120 is you insist on paying for it upfront rather than earning it the hard way.

Gran Turismo’s optional microtransactions allow players to purchase credits to use on buying new cars, rather than earning them through play, as has been the only progression path in past games. Eurogamer published the following microtransaction price list.

• 500,000 In-Game Credits (£3.99/€4.99)
  • 1 million In-Game Credits (£7.99/€9.99)
  • 2.5 million In-Game Credits (£15.99/€19.99)
  • 7 million In-Game Credits (£39.99/€49.99)

The figures don’t mean much on their own, but the video below highlights the cost of vehicles in GT6; the most expensive car, the Jaguar XJ13, is priced at 20 million credits, which means you’d have to pick up two 7 million packs, two 2.5 million packs, and one 1 million pack to grab it immediately. That adds up to a whopping £119.95.

Gran Turismo 6 arrives exclusively on PlayStation 3 on December 6.

Thanks, CyberMarco.

1. Joe Musashi

Ouch. I wonder how much gameplay grind is required to accrue the in-game equivalent.

JM

#1 9 months ago
  2. El_MUERkO

Sony. As an owner of every GT that has been released and the Special Edition of GT5. No.

I’ll get some form of GOTY edition in a year’s time if anything.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Cort

On one hand, that is absolutely outrageous. On the other hand, if you are stupid enough to pay for it, you only have yourself to blame.

But it could be worse: the game could have half the cars and tracks as its predecessor.

#3 9 months ago
  4. ActionGameKing

The game isn’t any different from past games when it comes to grind, according to what the media is saying. It’s just optional so use your brains and stop whining.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Cort

Optional micro-transactions isn’t a good reason to ignore this game. The fact that GT hasn’t gone anywhere in 10 years and has turned into a clinical, detached, insipid and bloated dirge is a good reason to ignore this game.

See you when you hit £10, GT6.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Typical Sony fanboy talk right there.

The most expensive car to buy costs TWICE as much as Forza 5′s equivalent. But this is a Sony game right, and it can’t be as bad? Hilarious.

Now on topic: Any microtransaction that impacts other players (if you can buy yourself an advantage) is a BAD thing. It’s a negative for both this game and Forza.

In Dead Space 3 it was fine, because it was only in the singleplayer game/CO-OP.

If you could buy guns in Battlefield instead of unlocking them, that would be terribad.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Cort

Typical XBot fanboy talk right there.

Both have OPTIONAL micro-transactions that any gamer can choose to ignore or use. Only one gives you half what you got last time straight out of the full-priced box. Run along.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Hcw87

One of them is a next gen game with huge improvements in AI and visuals, simulations.

The other has a majority of standard cars that look and sound the same with no cockpit view.

If PD had to ship this out for PS4, you better believe there would be cut content/quality for that aswell.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Fin

Depends if the game is changed to increase the likelyhood of you needing tokens.

This is the case in Forza.

#9 9 months ago
  10. SlayerGT

Micro transactions or not, as long as the economy/ race reward progression is the same as 5 I have no problem.

@7&8 GT6 is not feature complete matching 5. Things like B-Spec mode aren’t part of the final package.

Ill be more curious if that Jag will be available in arcade mode. That to me is the biggest bummer about Forza. Its one thing to never be able to attain a car for your career mode, but to never be able to drive it at all sucks.

@9 Right you are.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Cort

And while you fawn over Forza 5 and scramble around for reasons why it is better than GT6 in every way, I heavily criticise GT6 as poor and not worth buying.

Who is the fanboy?

Run along – but not before you’ve seen these huge improvements in visuals:

E3 reveal (on PC) vs the reality on XB1: http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/467/4679174/2387548-2811290558-5Sk5x.png

#11 9 months ago
  12. Hcw87

There is a glitch currently that makes it possible to do exactly that:

Covered a million times, the random streamer is running with poor picture settings. On my display the colors are not nearly as washed out and poor as the picture on the right.

Also stream-quality isn’t the best way to show off a game.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Cort

@12 Still scrambling around. Going to blame this one on streaming?

#13 9 months ago
  14. Panthro

Don’t bother trying to show him any comparisons between the PC versions and the retail Xbone versions of the games he owns, his brain refuses to process the differences…

That pic was a bad example though, there is way better comparison pics out there than that.

#14 9 months ago
  15. dtyk

If you liked 5, you’ll like 6. Of course, if you didn’t like 5, you’re not going to like 6.

While I hate this microtransaction thing myself, you should put the reviewer statement in the article.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Cort

“Eurogamer reviewer states that the economy and progression is unchanged from GT5.”

I’ll wait until it hits £5 then.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Hcw87

Is that picture supposed to prove anything? Who the hell plays a racing game looking at the _crowds_?

Next you’re going to tell me the trees had 500 more leaves in the E3 trailer? Who the fuck cares?

Time to get back on topic i think.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Cort

“Time to get back on topic i think.”

He says as he flip-flops harder than a tuna on a trawler deck. Well done, you win “XBot of the Day”.

#18 9 months ago
  19. dtyk

@ Cort

LOL yeah the downgrade is pretty intense. It still looks good, but it got dooooooooowngraded.

And Hcw87 why are you so eager to defend Forza 5? It’s literally the worst Forza game in the series. While the gameplay is nice as always, it’s an unfinished package like the rest of the rushed launch games (except DR3).

There is no reason to defend the shit stain on an otherwise awesome franchise. You don’t see people going around defending Devil May Cry 2 do you?

#19 9 months ago
  20. Hcw87

Do you even own an XB1? Or are you just the biggest hypocrite ever? Calling someone else a fanboy of something, when you seem to be so far up Sony’s ass.

I can hardly be an Xbot when i play on both my PS4 and XB1 every day, but i prefer Forza over GT any day of the week. Also when people make ridiculous statements about something they obviously pulled straight from Sonygaf, i love setting them straight.

And your comment at @3 started this whole discussion, you obviously had to rib Forza 5 for some reason. Yeah, you’re the fanboy here.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Cort

@Hcw87

My VG247 comment history shows high praise for Forza 4 and a stream of hate for what has happened to the GT franchise since 4. But hey, I’m just a Sony fanboy, while you are an objective and unbiased observer, right?

@20 Says the moron who accused me of fanboyism for one statement. And you call me a hypocrite. Stop talking, you are making an ass of yourself.

So owning both console brands means you can’t be a fanboy? Then withdraw your accusation: I play my 360 as much as my PS3. And I have no intention of buying a PS4 or One until the first has better games and the second drops in price with no Kinect. But I’m just a Sony fanboy, right?

Run along.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Panthro

Who cares? a lot of people do actually, I wouldn’t appreciate it if I had picked up a game which had suffered from downgrades and whose devs also didn’t mention anything about them, that counts for Ryse also.

In the E3 trailer they probably had a lot more than 500 leaves ;) Im surprised they didn’t lock the season to Autumn so they should do away with the the leaves altogether.

#22 9 months ago
  23. Joe Musashi

I think there is more than enough evidence on this site (and the rest of the internet) that more than adequately disproves the notion that owning/playing multiple platforms means it’s impossible to be perceived as a deluded, flag-bearing, logic-dismissing, PR-repeating, dribbling fanboy of a single platform/company.

JM

#23 9 months ago
  24. SlayerGT

@12 A little miserable that it requires glitches huh? What about for 2 player?

#24 9 months ago
  25. dtyk

Exactly. Shouldn’t you be more concerned that a “next-gen” game can’t even render crowds? Imagine you spin out, had to stop, do you know how badly cardboard crowds break the immersion?

Whether its rushed schedule, or hardware limitation, it’s not exactly a good sign for things to come lol

#25 9 months ago
  26. Djoenz

Yup.

#26 9 months ago
  27. Hcw87

You can try to sugarcoat it all you want, but your comment at @3 shows you’re that Sony fanboy that had to come in here and take a jab at Forza. No way around that.

You have to pause the game to notice the crowd properly at all. When you’re driving past them, it’s just a blur. And it would be like that even if it had real 3D high polygon crowds. So i don’t see why they should focus resources on something noone will likely ever see. I’d rather have the cars and the road/stuff in the distance look as good as possible.

#27 9 months ago
  28. Panthro

A rushed schedule?
    So rushed they spent the entire time after E3 removing nice looking things which impact performance? Hmmmm fishy :D

I don’t care how the game looks at this current moment, I’m only pointing out that they obviously had to strip things out of the game to make it run on the Xbox, why not just leave in the 3D sprites?

#28 9 months ago
  29. Cort

“One of them is a next gen game with _huge_ improvements in (…) visuals*”

* except crowds, trees, buildings, tracks and street furniture.

Did they manage any dynamic lighting, weather or night races in the end (genuine question, I don’t know)?

#29 9 months ago
  30. dtyk

@Panthro

Rushed schedule referring to the “curious” lack of cars and tracks compared to Forza 4

Hardware referring to well… 3d rendered crowds, beautiful textures to… well, need I say more? lmao

Mind you I haven’t been too impressed on the PS4 side either. Still waiting for the real deal.

#30 9 months ago
  31. manamana

It started with the smartphones and there it is. In the mainstream of gaming. What went wrong? To many suits taking over?

#31 9 months ago
  32. Cort

You carry on making up your own little arbitrary rules as to what constitutes a fanboy and what doesn’t.

But hang on. Look at my first comment @21. Doesn’t this make me an anti-Sony XBot, according to your little rule book?! But I can’t be! Because the next page on your little book of arbitrary rules says that if you own both platforms, you CAN’T be a fanboy!! And I own both a 360 and a PS3! I’m in the clear!

My god man…

#32 9 months ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Bazinga!

We have a winner! :)

#33 9 months ago
  34. Djoenz

Hcw87
    You completely overlooked his comment @5. . .
    Just because you own both consoles doesnt mean you arent leaning way more towards microsoft. The observers have seen your behaviour for a while now. No need to pretend just be yourself.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Panthro

I know I was being sarcastic haha.

Me too, I got a PS4 downstairs and currently think its just going to gather dust unless some better games come out.

I’m hoping the next wave of games doesn’t hold your hand throughout the entire game, I hate that shit.

Not that loving one console is a bad thing, he can massage his xbone as long as he likes but to totally disregard the downgrades both Ryse and Forza have faced and chalk them up to “wrong TV settings” is just mental.

#35 9 months ago
  36. dtyk

Nailed it. Badumtssss

I have no doubt that developers can make magic happen. I didn’t think PS3 was capable of Last of Us to be honest, but they managed.

There’s interest enough to do great things on consoles, it’s just a matter of when.

#36 9 months ago
  37. manamana

@33 no, its even worse – gamers are spending that kind of money …

#37 9 months ago
  38. dkpunk

Ah good to see the sdf is still blindly faithful as ever. Now microtransactions actions are ok! Of course… smh

#38 9 months ago
  39. Djoenz

I need Ireland Michaels opinion of this. Between Forza 5 and GT6 which purposely make the game more difficult to endorse microtransactions? Which manipulates you more to buy points/tokens?

These practices are filthy imo on both sides no question about it. Its A-okay with f2p and free mobile games but full priced retail games that has these schemes are disgusting. If this is the future of gaming then I’ll pass.

#39 9 months ago
  40. Panthro

I don’t think anyone has said they were OK?

#40 9 months ago
  41. Cort

@38 Of course they are ok. Every XBot has been strongly defending them since they found out MS was going big on them. What’s good for the goose – or are you one of those people who genuinely thinks fanboys only exist on the PS side and that every XBox gamer without any exception is unbiased, objective and fair?

#41 9 months ago
  42. Djoenz

Xbots will never understand the difference between forcing and optional.
    They are truly delusional.

#42 9 months ago
  43. Cort

And there is a supreme irony here, lost on too many:

The term “SDF” came into wide currency to describe those PS fanboys who struggled to defend their console of choice – the PS3 – after a poor launch against stronger competition. Guess who is in that space this generation? Welcome, MSDF.

2007 “PS3 is not a games console, it’s a Blu-ray player!”
    2013 “XB1 is not a games console, it’s a TV box!”

See what happened there?

Of course, Sony turned it around with the PS3 and it has now sold more consoles then has the 360. Time will tell if MS manage to repeat that trick this generation.

#43 9 months ago
  44. lolatfanboys

If you have the money you have the money, as long as you can get the cars by regular play, it´s “ok”

#44 9 months ago
  45. Ireland Michael

The moment you make it about the players and not about the product is the moment you lose the argument.

If you don’t agree with someone, who cares what they think? Why invest so much time into other people’s opinions if you think they’re wrong? The vast majority of people using terms like “fanboys” don’t seem to realise that they’re guilty of the exact same thing, only on the other side of the fence.

At the end of the day, these transactions are only an issue if the game lacks in content and forces a grind. Based on what I’ve seen of the game so far, that doesn’t seem to be the case. If it does turn out to be the case then yes, the game will be as guilty as Forza.

#45 9 months ago
  46. fihar

Look here, earning money wasn’t an issue in GT5. You can get credits easily by doing the Seasonal Events, which is short and usually easy. Not to mention that each consecutive day you play the game, you get an earnings multiplier, which tops at 200% after five consecutive days of playing.

If you still get prize cars after winning events and the same earnings system is still in place, then no, microtransactions won’t be a problem here.

#46 9 months ago
  47. Cobra951

I will not be buying GT6 at anywhere near full price. Simple as that.

#47 9 months ago
  48. Kuwabara

HEY, if they can make more money out of the rich folk, why not. They can invest with more to make gt7 even better , if possible.

#48 9 months ago
  49. Tormenter

Or you could pay the same money, get 3x 7 mil packs and have 1 mil left after purchasing the Jag.

(Notice the word ‘you’ in my sentence, because ‘I’ would never do such a stupid and brainless thing as pay £120 for an unnecessary digtal add-on.. Christ, even a necessary one.)

#49 9 months ago
  50. CyberMarco

So, before I start, FUCK YOU Sony/PD!

I haven’t played GT5 much, only some races on a friend’s console and remember that the handling was as clunky as GT4. I was like meh!, so much for next-gen (at the time) GT game, also my vacuum cleaner makes better sounds for engines compared GT5. And seeing how they were releasing DLC, I said I’ll wait for a GoTY edition or something.

My last Gran Turismo game was GT4 and I was going to buy GT5 Academy Edition until I heard the rumor that GT6 was coming. I tried the demo back in summer and the handling on the Nissan felt really satisfying, I wasn’t driving a boat on wheels anymore and the sound was quite decent too. I said let’s wait and see.

Good job Sony/PD, nice way to screw one of my favorite games. There is no way I can justify MTs in a full retail game, never gonna happen.

As I said I haven’t really played the career mode in GT5, but I remember that in GT4, you could get some extra money/cars from driver licenses and some car-rewards from tournament, that when sold they gave some big amount of cash. I wouldn’t say that GT4 required much grinding to get the cars that you wanted.

I’ll wait (as always) to see how things will turn out for GT6 and its MTs, and as PD said they are going to have a steady stream of DLC cars that’s one more reason to wait for a GoTY. Probably going to buy it used too.

#50 9 months ago
  51. gomersoul

I love PlayStation but this is bullshit, it should be like 50p for the smallest amount of coins and a fiver for the most. How do they justify those prices for something that doesn’t exist? Hope driveclub isn’t this bad.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Kieran

Go f your selves polyphony d thats a rip off making one reason why g.t is fun saving up 4 a car and buying it after all your races

#52 9 months ago
  53. pukem0n

sadly, this seems to become the standard with Sony and MS games…

#53 9 months ago
  54. Christopher Jack

No idea why people get in such a huff about this. It’s entirely optional & you can always earn in game credits very easily- these ‘micro transactions’ are just a short cut for those with more money than time. Now forcing you to buy cars, tracks, etc only available with real life cash is pretty crummy.

Frankly I’ve always loved unlocking shit in games (NOT trophies or achievements) which is why I get bored much faster in racing games that give you everything up front.

#54 9 months ago
  55. xxJPRACERxx

They don’t force you. Just play the game normally and everything will be like before.

edit: @54 I hate unlocking things. I come from a PC racing sim background. Everything is available from the start. I don’t want to do 1000 races to get to the ones I really want. That’s what I really hate about GT. I don’t care about trophies and if I could unlock everything from the start I would.

#55 9 months ago
  56. CyberMarco

@54 and 55

There were some things called cheat-codes back in the day, but not now. Now with have cool DLC and “convenient” MTs.

-.-

#56 9 months ago
  57. Fin

Let’s just quote from the Eurogamer article again:

“Eurogamer’s Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6′s economy works exactly the same as GT5′s, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.”

But hey, feel free to ignore that and go with a knee-jerk reaction instead.

#57 9 months ago
  58. Dyno

GT fans that bitched about Forza 5′s micro-transactions better be eating crow right now.

#58 9 months ago
  59. Arnvidr

@49 Yes, indeed! Read through the comments just to see if anyone else picked up on that. Why pick up three different types of credit packs when you could get three of the biggest one for a single penny more, and have a million left over?

Also, your second point, I would never buy this. But as long as you can get it by playing normally, I don’t care either way.

Having never played GT5, I thought the sound in the GT6 demo was quite shitty to be honest. Was GT5 even worse? I played GT3 to death, it was probably just as bad back then.

#59 9 months ago
  60. Christopher Jack

@56, Completely agreed with you mate. I loved me old cheat codes on the PS1/2. Can still remember the jetpack & all the gun cheats for San Andreas. It is bullshit but at least ‘micro transactions’ like these don’t withhold anything from the game.

If you’re going to do paid DLC don’t take anything from the game or use it as a way to recycle maps from older games, it’s meant to add shit. Exactly what’s preventing me from buying WWE 2K14. I don’t particularly care about the DLC superstars but they’ve been in the show more than long enough to adapt to the damn game.

I wouldn’t mind them frequently adding people who have debuted within the month before its release or within the 12 months after the release before the sequel as cheap add-ons but no, they pick guys who have been well know for over 9 months before the game & take em out & charge you for them. In fact I take issue with all annual retail games now that I think of it.

#60 9 months ago