Call of Duty: Ghosts’ critical response doesn’t mirror fan appreciation, says Activision

Wednesday, 4th December 2013 12:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Ghosts didn’t fare too well at review, but Activison feels that its biggest and most trusted critics are the fans themselves who, according to Eric Hirshberg, are getting along with the new shooter just fine.

Speaking among the pages of this month’s GameInformer, Activision’s head of publishing was asked if the Call of Duty brand was in danger of perishing under gamer fatigue.

He replied, “No,” and added, “We’ve been pretty transparent all year that we think, because of the challenges of the console transition year, that that was likely in the short-term. I think it would be a mistake to conflate the challenges of the console transition year with any indications about the health of the franchise.”

The magazine then asked Hirsberg if annualising the brand has perhaps caused diminishing returns to this pointm and it was suggested that this is a popular view among critics. He replied, “Well no, obviously not – and obviously I don’t agree with the critics there. I know that Call of Duty’s a polarising franchise with some of the critics, and it’s clear to me that not all the critics like our strategy of making a game every year, but thankfully our fans do.

“It’s also clear to me that the critical response doesn’t always mirror the fans’ appreciation of a game. We actually do read the critics’ comments and take them into consideration during our creative process, but we just can’t measure ourselves by that yardstick alone.

“Our most important audience is our fans, so we try to stay laser-focused on making games that they love. If you look at the fact that [Ghosts is] the most pre-ordered game of the year, it’s the most pre-ordered next-gen game of the year, it’s already the number one most played on Xbox Live, and that we’re seeing longer average playtimes than ever before, we’re confident that we’re doing well by the criteria that matter most.”

Is the Call of Duty brand dwindling? How much longer can it keep up this pace? Let us know below.

Via Videogamer.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I’m only playing it because Titanfall isn’t out yet.

It’s doing so as well as it’s doing, because there isn’t a better twitch shooter out there.

I expect that to change pretty soon.

#1 10 months ago
  2. kartana

Reality distortion field in full effect.

#2 10 months ago
  3. bradk825

He hit the nail on the head when he said “polarising.” The bottom line is it’s unpopular right now to say anything positive about Call of Duty. Despite the millions who are buying it, the millions who are not buying it are far more vocal about how “bad” it is even if they haven’t played it in years.

#3 10 months ago
  4. lolatfanboys

Well the average citizen is dumb as fuck, so… it´s a good shooter I give COD that. Diminishing returns? Hell yea..Also a lot of kids love that game, so keep that rating up :D.

#4 10 months ago
  5. CyberMarco

@1 So you are “playing” it cause you don’t have anything else, knowing it’s not delivering on its features…

Such power of will!

#5 10 months ago
  6. Lloytron

Funny… a game gets panned and sells, the publisher says how the press is irrelevant and obsolete.

A game gets panned and doesn’t sell, the same publisher then blames the press for scaring off the consumers

#6 10 months ago
  7. Djoenz

I bow down to your awesomeness!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Dirk

CoD fans like CoD games, that’s quite a revelation.

#8 10 months ago
  9. DSB

On the PC that’s definitely not true. Currently it’s peaking at just 15k players per day, which is half of any other recent CoD.

MW2 through Black Ops II peaked at 30k until just before the release of the next one.

It’s definitely a bellyflop. I uinstalled it already.

@1 There is, it’s called Black Ops II. I just got it off the recent Steam sale, and it’s ages ahead of Ghosts.

#9 10 months ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

It’s that or the next best thing, and the next best thing is miles behind.

If I can’t drive a Veyron, I’d rather stick with an R8 with electrical issues, than chug about in a Ka.

#10 10 months ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

@9:

I’ve already done over 200 hours in BO2.

Actually, I kind of intend to go back to it anyway, because I’m 8th or 9th prestige, and I’ve got at least around 30 hours left to hit top rank in 10th.

Can’t be bothered to go back right now, but I might try some time before March.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Docker Al

Ghosts is easily the best COD since the first Black Ops. Finally decent sized maps again and, so far, quick scoping is irrelevant. After the repugnant BO2 I guess the only way was up. I wasn’t expecting much from Ghosts but I’m loving COD again. Treyarch used to be my developer of choice until they fucked over the loyal fans by making BO2 all about guick scoping, despite saying publicly they didn’t want it in their games. Playing a game where 90% of players were using this ‘tactic’ on shoe-box sized maps got old very quickly. Good to see IW have listened to the fans on this issue. I’m surprised by the average reviews Ghosts received as it’s balanced to perfection and has clearly had great care lavished on it. Well done IW and fuck you Treyarch.

#12 10 months ago
  13. The_Red

Of course, critics were overly kind to the game. Some like IGN were almost like “paid reviews”. Thankfully people played it and realized the game looks like shit and plays like the worse parts of every previous COD stitched together.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Panthro

I tried played ghosts again today on PS4, I got to shooting the chopper down with the rocket launcher in the drained water way place and turned it off due to sheer boredom, I can’t bare games which hold your hand the way ghosts does, it’s like playing a crappy on rails arcade shooter, I really don’t get the appeal of these games anymore…

#14 10 months ago
  15. billcc

awesome game, i wear this all the time while playing ghost mask

#15 10 months ago