Battlefield 4: work halted on expansions, Battlefront 3 until game issues are resolved

Wednesday, 4th December 2013 20:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Battlefield 4 developer DICE will cease working on expansions for the shooter until issues across all platforms are rectified, an EA spokesperson has said. This also means work on Star Wars Battlefront 3 has been put on hold, as all hands are on deck to fix BF4.

Speaking with Polygon, the spokesperson said fixing the game is the developer’s “number one priority.”

“First, we want to thank the fans out there that are playing and supporting us with Battlefield 4,” they said. “We know we still have a ways to go with fixing the game — it is absolutely our No. 1 priority.

“The team at DICE is working non-stop to update the game. Since Battlefield 4 China Rising expansion pack was already in the final stages of development by the time issues began with Battlefield 4, we decided to fulfill our promise to deliver it this week, but we’re not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4.

“We know many of our players are frustrated, and we feel their pain. We will not stop until this is right.”

It was suggested by the spokesperson that players keep an eye on the Battlefield 4 Control Room regarding updates on the game.

An update for the game was released yesterday for PC as planned, but the PS4 update was delayed.

China Rising was released yesterday for Premium Members, with a general release set for December 17. It also faced some issues, which DICE said it was working on. It is unknown at press time if proposed the hiatus will affect the general release of China Rising.

Second Assault is currently a timed exclusive for Xbox One, and DICE should have plenty of time to get things in working order before Naval Strike, Dragon’s Teeth and Final Stand arrive in 2014.

1. CyberMarco

Fuck you Dice and fuck you EA.

No, not because they are (now) trying to fix the game, but because they sold the game in an unpolished, bugs filled state.

I don’t know what other industry could manage to get away with this.

Again, fuck you!

#1 8 months ago
  2. aseddon130

@1 no, i applaud them. Sure it’s not great that they released the game with bugs but all BF games (and online games) ship with bugs, so i say bravo for admitting their mistakes and it’s great that they are wanting to iron out all the kinks in the game and not just leaving the game to die a death.

#2 8 months ago
  3. RussellGorall

They are going to finish the game? Wow! As a consumer I literally expect nothing from developers and publishers… so I applaud them.

#3 8 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

@2 It’s one thing to have some minor bugs/glitches and another to have some game-breaking ones. The game was released in an unplayable state for most of the users. I’m not expecting a state of the art game on day-1, but at least make it work.

They failed on that, so they have to face the consequences. It’s their fault!!!

Also, are you new around here?

#4 8 months ago
  5. nani17

It’s Dice’s fault not EA’s they had two years to make this game and they failed. I see people on other forums EA made them rush it out before cod or EA did this…lol you see these comments on every single EA game people even blamed EA for the Mass Effect 3 ending.

What i think happened not saying its what exactly happened like most people but i think what happened was EA came to Dice and said would you like to make Battlefront 3 we think you’d be a great choice to make this game… obviously dice said yes but are you telling me there was no conversation between Dice and EA about can they handle making Battlefield 4 on four consoles and a PC as well has making Battlefront 3. EA aren’t were they are for no reason they know businesses no matter how much people think they don’t and they gave Dice a job and they failed simple as.

#5 8 months ago
  6. LordCancer

it good that they finally acknowledge that there are major problems with the game but this is after ea blamed sony firmware on ps4 bf4 issues when it turns out the game is affected on all platforms and peter moore even called a twitter user a liar when he asked about bf4 issues.

bf3 beta was more stable then bf4 release, bf4 is not stable and not just buggy but broken and incomplete. server instability, entire absence of squad lobbies and server queuing. broken server browser. frequent random crashes and save corruption. dysfunctional and laggy ingame battlelog.

it is nearly impossible to join a friend ingame, even when it shows friends playing on a server ingame it doesn’t show which friend is playing your only option is to join. it is easier to spam join server on battlelog website.

and i personally think it is very strange that they include menu options to play game modes that do not exist in the game like air supiriority.

i suffered 15 or so crashes this past weekend trying to play the campaign, the last crash locked up my ps4 and corrupted my save file. this isn’t just an occasional bug like some games, its unplayable and shouldn’t have been released. how could ea put out battlefield and have its coo call customers liars on twitter? dice is pulling devs off battlefront 3 to fix bf4, where were they in the first place? this is a disaster.

#6 8 months ago
  7. polygem

it’s absolutely unacceptable that they dared to ship that broken mess of a game. unbelieveable. if it works it has some fun moments but this game doesn’t even feel like a beta. it’s broken. it’s crash after crash after crash plus bugs everywhere. all this *fun* for the bargain price of 69,99…haha, insane that they’re getting away with this.

#7 8 months ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

@2, the bugs in this game are way worse than I’ve experienced in any other AAA game on full release, it is absolutely an unfinished product. We’re essentially playing an extended beta, I’ve even held off buying premium and quit the game for the time being because of the sheer unplayable crap that has been put out. I’m an avid BF player since BF2, I owned BF3 on 2 platforms both of which were premium but I’m not supporting releasing games in this state.

#8 8 months ago
  9. sonny

I’ve been playing the MP of BF4 on PS4 for the last 6 days (mainly Rush game mode with 32 players). I’m at lvl. 19 now and I’m really enjoying the game. Except for maybe 2 crashes I did not have any major issues. It definitely has its flaws but I would say it’s far from an “unplayable state” on PS4. Maybe I just got lucky, I don’t know…

#9 8 months ago
  10. shadowseer

It’s great that DICE decided to fix the game, had the save erasing bug :( Just when I almost had all assignments done and one more ending to view lol.

Ah well, I won’t be buying premium until they fixed most of the issues then I’ll gladly get it lol.

But this experience I had, kind of won’t get future battlefield games on launch day until I confirm that it’s not a buggy mess!

#10 8 months ago
  11. Darksider123

Do you have any idea how many times EA has “admitted” their faults and said they were working on it?

Dlc won’t be long as planned, and they’ll only do bare minimum to get the majority stop shouting the games biggest shortcomings.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Asgaro

You work for EA.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Legion

Still haven’t fixed poor control layout for Xbox controllers… PASS from me… you lost a long time customer and promoter.

#13 8 months ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

@8, pc version on release was unplayable, it’s not much improved now. Also ps4 on release didn’t even have Conquest mode working.

@12, there’s an option to use the bf3 control layout isn’t there?

#14 8 months ago
  15. pukem0n

better late than never…

#15 8 months ago
  16. Khan979

@8 I own it on PS4 as well, purchased it launch day here in the US with my console, at that time it was definitely unplayable. It would crash when trying to start the game almost everytime and it would corrupt your save file thus deleting your single player games, which means you couldn’t play either mode. It was a paper weight. Even when they finally got that somewhat resolved, then connection issues occurred over and over again.

I couldn’t play for almost 2 weeks straight after purchasing it. I think alot of gamers in Europe did not experience as many issues due to a delayed launch, but in North America there were definitely major issues.

#16 8 months ago