Wii U won’t see another Christmas, “nobody gives a shit” about Mario, says ex-Sony dev

Tuesday, 3rd December 2013 10:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U won’t see another Christmas and that’s just fine, according to former Little Deviants developer Kenny Linder. He also reckons Nintendo dropped the ball on Super Mario 3D World advertising, to the point that “nobody gives a s**t.”

It follows former THQ exec Jason Rubin calling Nintendo “irrelevant” in the console space.

Linder has since removed a big portion of his NeoGAF post, but Nintendo Life managed to copy-paste it before then.

It reads, “Releasing [SM3DW] the same day as PS4 in UK/EU wasn’t wise. The frustrating thing was this game was probably ready to go in October. I think retail and the market will push Nintendo in a direction whether they like it or not. They MUST be in danger of losing shelf space at this point.

“Retail will have four major consoles (PS3/4, 360/One) plus 3DS/2DS to push which will all move units, and it looks like Mario can’t help even poor Wii U out. If it goes from shelves, it will be finished. I am still confident in my crazy mind that Wii U will not see another Christmas after this one. But that’s just me. The future games will just get moved/axed.

“Releasing Mario on Friday was a really stupid thing to do, it could of come out weeks before that. I wonder if the same gamers who buy Nintendo home systems (150k of them in UK) are the same gamers that buy PS4/Xbox? That might explain lack of sales this week. Otherwise, nobody gives a s***.

“Also, I haven’t seen a single Mario 3D World advert on UK TV, whereas the other two (PS4 more so, especially last night, holy s***) are on all the time. They have failed to see what the market wants.”

As Nintendo Life correctly states, there has been a fair few Super Mario 3D World adverts on the telly and online, so we’re quite puzzled by the last lines as well.

What do you make of Linder’s view? Let us know below.

1. formula1matthew

The Wii U has been dead since it launched.

#1 9 months ago
  2. dsr

“As Nintendo Life correctly states, there has been a fair few Super Mario 3D World adverts on the telly and online”

And what do YOU state, Dave?

The only advertizing I saw for SM3DW is word of mouth from WiiU owners and general consensus what it will be good because “Mario” and “Nintendo magic(tm)”. Oh and also because its a “Real Game” unlike others.

#2 9 months ago
  3. FeaturePreacher

I think Nintendo is saving their money to release their own tablet with their own marketplace. I guess we’ll just need to wait till March for the announcement.

#3 9 months ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

Kick a dog while it’s down, eh?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Christopher Jack

@3, They did, it’s called the 2DS.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Patrick Garratt

Super Mario 3D World is one of the best games I’ve played this year.

#6 9 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Well, we hadn’t seen an article like this for about 5 minutes!

#7 9 months ago
  8. Erthazus

If the Mario is a good game, I refuse to buy WiiU because it is a junk. I don’t want to have a kitchen sink under my TV. It is a disaster no matter what happens. Even if Jesus will try to sell it to me I have enough games to play on my PC or even PS3…

I said since the console was unvelied that it is a POS. No matter what games this thing will have I won’t buy it. It is not even on par with 360/PS3 in hardware department not to mention that it is irrelevant right now.

IMO, PS4 and XOne is irrelevant too, but they are trying to do something better with the hardware and have future proof games like Destiny, first party exclusives that pushes it’s hardware (multiplatform titles included from the biggest publishers). They moved on and new systems have 10x more power then 360 or PS3. 10x if not 15x more power.

and in the end games will be different. They will look different and offer experiences that are better then on WiiU. Mario games are great as a platformer and nothing more. That’s where it’s gameplay end’s. Hardware has it’s limitations. We had 8 years of the same games on current gen consoles and Nintendo want to bring another fucking 5+ years of that madness? NO.

but for me, wins only That system that will have Star Citizen anyway. Games like Destiny? inFamous 2? MGSV or Uncharted is a great bonus.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Demigod

Tbh Nintendo needs to change. Their games may get great scores but Im bored with them. Oh yet another Mario game with x gimmick thrown in. Cant they come up with anything NEW that doesn’t have mario etal tacked on just to make it cute? IM sick of Nintendo cute. Im a fan of assassins creed so its not sequelitis at least Assassins changes characters for better or worse. Nintendo just seems stuck on mario wario donky. Just how many times are they going to remake the same Zelda story? It needs a big change.

#9 9 months ago
  10. sho0ok

Typical sony fanboy lol why does he need to be disrespectful when he can just say” they are not doing the right thing”. As usual these fanboys are ergont and disrespectful, they are dragging the industry down.

#10 9 months ago
  11. CPC_RedDawn

Just like to point out that I have seen quite a lot of Super Mario 3D World Adverts on TV. Adverts that actually showed gameplay as well, REAL IN GAME FOOTAGE not just live action, or pre-rendered footage in order to make your new console seem more powerful than it actually is! LOL

If you have no seen the adverts, then well you obviously just missed them.

Also, if you think Wii U won’t see next Christmas. Just wait til E3 and we see Nintendo come out all guns blazing, if they don’t then I too will finally admit the Wii U is doomed.

#11 9 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

^ That’s if Nintendo even attend E3. They didn’t this year.

Tbh, if they were smart, they would have given up on the Wii U a long time ago.

Imagine if they’d released Mario on other formats. They’d probably sell many, many times more copies than they look like doing with it being a Wii U exclusive.

Their games may be amazing, but they’re not selling consoles.

End of story.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Joe Musashi

Seems appropriate.

JM

#13 9 months ago
  14. sho0ok

@G1GAHURTZ they attended e3 however they didn’t have a conference there is a big difference.

#14 9 months ago
  15. foofly

I personally think the WiiU is a great little console, if a little over priced. Nintendo’s first party games are in a league of their own in terms of quality gameplay. As long as they stay profitable (mainly down to the 3DS at this point) they will be around for some time to come.

#15 9 months ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

@14:

Ah yes. True. My mistake. They were there, they just didn’t have a keynote.

#16 9 months ago
  17. GuuR

It is a shame that Nintendo with it’s great console legacy also has some big failures of which the latest is WiiU. As some of you have mentioned, Nintendo seems to rely on their mascots like Mario and Zelda to sell systems and games. Most third party developers cannot be bothered with the WiiU and, equally relevant, the gaming community has spoken (e.g. with their wallets). Sony and MS have sold more next gen consoles than Nintendo has sold WiiU’s in a years time.

Hopefully, Nintendo will get it’s head out of it’s own ass and act appropriately.

#17 9 months ago
  18. _LarZen_

I certainly do not give a shit about Mario. But the same cant be said about the WiiU.

If I could play Super Mario 3D World on the PS4 I would buy it in a heartbeat!

#18 9 months ago
  19. absolutezero

Raging stonking hate boners.

Everywhere. All the time.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Diingo

I came in here about to rant against Nintendo…. until I realized there’s no reason to care. They’re irrelevant in my life and that’s okay. At the end of the day these are just plastic products spewed onto shelves so that they can receive our money. It’s quite pathetic how obsessed I can be about products made from a corporation.

#20 9 months ago
  21. stockops3

I really hope not, Wii U is such an underated console, I have had so much enjoyment on the games I own! But I love SM3DW, its just a great game, one that is colourful, the gameplay is tight and its a laugh to play with friends. I wish this was selling better, but Ninty need some hit games (other than SM3DW) so hopefully when X, SMT x FE, SSB WiiU, Donkey Kong, Mariokart 8, Bayonetta 2 hit next year, the console will increase.

It wont be first in terms of sales, but a its such an underated console IMO.

#21 9 months ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

If the Wii-U drop to $250 I’ll be 1st in line to get one.

#22 9 months ago
  23. zersus

I own a WiiU, and this thing is very good in collecting dust and playing SNES titles. Yeah, that’s all I do with it. Yes there are good games, but those games are not for me. I’m getting very fast bored by Super Mario or other party titles. I need a matured Zelda and Metroid for example.

But what do I need the most? I need Satoru Iwata to leave this company ASAP. I’m serious. I don’t like him and his past decisions. I don’t like the naming of the consoles, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, DSi and all this. But the most stupid idea was 2DS. I don’t even understand the direction of Nintendo. Where are they going? I use to be a fan of Nintendo, a very big one. But the last three consoles where failures in my eyes. I know that the Wii sold like crazy, and I still never used it after I played the Zelda and only a few other titles (like 2 or 3). Nintendo Direct? This is a pain to watch! Holy crap, was it Iwatas idea again? What kind of marketing is this? Nintendo is losing ground for me; I buy the WiiU because I was bored (yeah… I did it because I was bored) and I absolutely understand why people say that there is no reason to own a WiiU. Nintendo need desperately to think about what makes them great back in the NES, SNES, N64 times and what the other consoles did to outrun them.

Before someone jumps on me, yes there are good titles for the WiiU, the new Mario and Pikman but I can’t play ANOTHER Mario, I just can’t! And why should I if there are tons and tons of other great stuff? Maybe someone should tell Nintendo that the SNES fan boy is a grown up now and that I have other needs. The console is good for kids, though a lot of kinds now have gamer parents and they probably own a Sony or Micro$oft Console.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Young Link

Ku ku ku ku. Newbyes.

You don´t have any militar knowledge, do you??

Simple strategy: Get your army ready and set them in strategic places. Make them look harmless so nobody will do anything to fight them. Enemy will laugh and keep doing his stuff, but your army is there, hidden, waiting.

Then, when nobody expects it STRIKE hard with a Nuclear Bomb and break the wall. With the wall broken, all your soldiers are already there to get inside and finish the job.

One day the real bomb will fall, and then you will see the Wii U worth it not only because of the bomb, but also because it has been preparing itself strongly to appeal us all with all the games it already has and will. Games you made laugh at, but after buying the console due to its bomb, all these games will look like what they are: Delicious women with chocolate taste waiting in your bedroom.

Ignore that delicious women are waiting for you in the next door and have nasty sex with you silla wife who still blames you for not doing the washing up… But those women are there, and you will fall in love with the bomb.

You will buy, because nobody can enjoy playing every day the same mindless games Microsoft and Sony consoles offer. Keep playing shooters, which appears to be the only thing “next gen” consoles can offer so far, apart from graphics which hardly differ from the previous generation.

And wait… wait for the bomb.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

@19 Yup. That must be it. Just blinded haters. Haters everywhere. No other possible line of reasoning. Hate hate hate.

Don’t worry, when Iwata’s “9 Million units by March 2014” target comes to pass you will have the the satisfaction of knowing how wrong it is to practice such short-sighted dismissals.

JM

#25 9 months ago
  26. mistermogul

I freakin’ love Nintendo and their games (Mario included) but I have to agree with this guy in that Nintendo’s business decisions are nothing short of completely baffling.

They really don’t help themselves and it’s so frustrating…

Nintendo seem so hell-bent on doing things differently and in their “own way” that they’d rather do that than what’s actually good for their business.

@24 – Are you ok?

@25 – That 9 millions sales estimate is effing crazy. Just goes to show Iwata must be smoking something. He’s putting way too much hope on the shoulders of one 3D Mario game!

#26 9 months ago
  27. Ignatius_Cheese

Little Deviants developer… Commentary from an average launch game developer. Worth listening to, Nintendo?

#27 9 months ago
  28. Francis O

So the Wii U won’t see another Christmas, but the Vita will?

LOL, this is trolling at its finest. LOL

@26 They have Donkey Kong coming early 2014 as well.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Clupula

@24 – I’m trying to figure out whose alt you are. You seem very familiar…

#29 9 months ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@28 Who ever said the Vita will?

You seem to mistaking someone else’s opinion with actual facts. Nobody is discussing the Vita here. And in Japan at least, the Vita is selling well enough. The Wii U isn’t selling anywhere.

You’ve proven countless times already that you’re incapable of discussing Nintendo without accepting any sort of valid criticism towards the hardware, and unable to take any sort of realistic perspective on the hardware. It makes you come across as the Erthazus of Nintendo… but even he has reduced his extremist stance recently.

#30 9 months ago
  31. DeVitowned

I really love Super Mario 3D World, more than I thought I would. They dropped the ball not making it online multiplayer.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Bomba Luigi

There are a lot of People who care for Mario, its biggest Name in Videogames. Mario is not the Problem, the WiiU is the Problem.

#32 9 months ago
  33. salarta

While I agree that the Wii U is basically screwed given it’s been a year and they still have hardly any games worth buying, to say “nobody gives a shit” is going a bit too far (which I’m sure he realized after he posted, which is why he deleted those posts), and I guarantee it’ll see another Christmas.

#33 9 months ago
  34. MadFlavour

What a fucking dunce. Nintendo are safer than Sony and Microsoft.They’ll still be around and making awesome games long after the other two have given up on games.

Yeah, the popularity of their consoles with casual gamers will wax and wain, but they have the most loyal following of any of the big three, they consistently release great games that that loyal following love.

To see some shit head developer of a game literally no one has ever heard of saying that no one gives a shit about Mario (you know Mario of about 15 of the best games ever) is fucking hilarious. FUCK OFF AND BE AN IRRELEVANCE SOMEWHERE ELSE, YOU DUNCE.

#34 9 months ago
  35. MadFlavour

Do you remember when the DS was doomed?

Do you remember before the wii came out when everyone was laughing at how under powered it was and how much of a disaster it would be?

Do you remember when the game cube came out and Nintendo were doomed cause it was like a toy?

Do you remember the retarded predictions of industry analysts and various other morons that are published on this very website every single day like they matter? #pachattack #bullshit #moneyfornothingandgamesforfree

#35 9 months ago
  36. smithy2483

I bought the PS4 Killzone Mega Pack (Killzone, extra controller and camera) along with FIFA 14 on launch day… went to Game Newcastles Midnight launch

I also bought a Wii U 2/3 weeks before as decided i couldnt own both Xbox One and PS4 at launch as neither had standout titles

TBH I have enjoyed playing Mario 3D World (which was delivered a day late… cheers Amazon) more than my PS4. I know that this is a launch PS4 so know what to expect and games will get better, but the Wii U currently has the best catalogue of games

If they do ever fall out of console business i will happily buy Mario for my PS4 :)

#36 9 months ago
  37. Ireland Michael

@35 This is a lot different from those situations.

Nintendo were still operating at a profit when the GameCube came out. Not only is the Wii U selling at a loss, the company itself is operating at a loss for the first time in forever.

It won’t probably sink them, but it is definitely damaging them.

The failure of the Wii U is not comparable to the 3DS. There is a difference between a slow start and a complete failure to enter the market. Third party support is near non-existent. They’ve already jumped shipped. Without it, the hardware wi never get any decent foothold.

#37 9 months ago
  38. G1GAHURTZ

This never happened.

As I remember, the vast majority of people were hyped for the Wiimote, and saying how revolutionary it was.

#38 9 months ago
  39. MadFlavour

@37 I never mentioned the 3ds I mentioned the DS which was dead in the water, with people predicting it would kill Nintendo left and right, until Nintendogs got it flying off shelves like cocaine filled hotcakes. How’d that finish up 150 million sales?

Nintendo will never completely fail. They just won’t. They’re the only console maker that actually understands what gaming is all about.

#39 9 months ago
  40. Ireland Michael

@39 I don’t remember anyone thinking the DS was dead in the water. That thing was flying off the shelves from day one, and the constant stream of great games kept it doing so for years.

The Wii U isn’t flying off shelves, and most devs have already moved on. Numerous “hit” games have come and gone, and the hardware still isn’t selling.

#40 9 months ago
  41. MadFlavour

IM your memory is failing you. Before Nintendogs the DS was “doomed, totally doomed”.

#41 9 months ago
  42. MadFlavour

@38 before the wiimote was announced. The wiimote was their big secret for ages.

I have a stuff magazine in a box in the attic that was sneering about how underpowered and undersized it was compared to the PS4 and 360, and bemoaning the lack of DVD playback. I recall various other sources doing the same thing.

#42 9 months ago
  43. Ireland Michael

@41 According to who, exactly? A handful of ignorant journalists?

It took a few months to really get going, like all hardware does, but it was never “doomed”. The Wii U is doing far worse, which was my unreal point.

What is it about Nintendo fans that they love to play the victim? I enjoy Nintendo’s machines quite a bit, but I’m not going to ignore the problems the hardware is having. Denial doesn’t help anyone.

#43 9 months ago
  44. The_Red

They are correct on that one. DS had a rather slow start (Not 3DS slow but still not great). There were a ton of people saying PSP is a beast and it will destroy DS.

Other than that, this is entirely different compared to all the other examples. If anything, some Nintendo fans have entered desperation mode that will use anything from rainy weather to “end of gaming as we know it”.
    There were even a few posters that said Mario 3D World’s debut was solid (Yes, to them being beaten by Knack and debuting at 14th was considered solid).

#44 9 months ago
  45. Ireland Michael

@44 14th? Ouch. That sucks. =(

#45 9 months ago
  46. monkeygourmet

^
    ^

Yep, Knack beating off Mario with both hands isn’t great.

It’s funny when people say: ‘Put x game on y system and I’ll buy it.’

This doesn’t always work. Good and unique titles are simply not guaranteed to sell these days. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Carherine, etc… etc… Can just never compete with certain titles sales / budget wise.

It does frustrate me that people can’t save up £149 to play quality exclusives.

#46 9 months ago
  47. Fin

All the games you’ve mentioned are quite niche Japanese games.
    If Mario was on other consoles, it’d sale insane amounts.

Don’t think Super Mario 3D Land alone justifies £200+ (let’s be honest, premium console is around £200 as is).
    Upcoming exclusives:

Smash Bros
    Mario Kart

*crickets*

#47 9 months ago
  48. Lv01

i dont want Nintendo to fall out of the market, as i was always a Ninty player growing up.
    but i do agree with a lot of people on here, that if games like Mario and Zelda came out on PS4… wow. if Nintendo did a Sega, that would be a massive deal, and their exclusives would sell by the bucket load on the other consoles. like hot cakes. they’d doa Sega better than Sega. they’d show Sega how to do a Sega.

#48 9 months ago
  49. Legendaryboss

It frustrates you? How? It ain’t your gaming experience: stop the jealousy ;)

#49 9 months ago
  50. Legendaryboss

Third time is the charm.”Its happening again?” Solidus, MGS2

#50 9 months ago
  51. Legendaryboss

Oh i can’t be bothered to give an opinion on a slightly similar subject than the other day.

But in short: Fix problems apparent.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Kabby

You don’t remember? Your name, your skills, everything you know you learned from me.

#52 9 months ago
  53. powerbuoy

“it could of come out weeks before that” omg this could of/would of/should of crap needs to stop! It’s bloody embarrassing.

#53 9 months ago
  54. salarta

@35: I don’t remember any of those things.

What I remember is the Wii being made fun of in a more juvenile fashion by people that were amused by its name sounding like it’s linked to urination, and that irresponsible “hold your wee for a Wii” radio show contest that led to a mother’s death (stating the obvious to be safe, that wasn’t Nintendo’s fault), but other than that, nope. I mostly remember people lauding it as a great new step for video games because of the innovation and novelty of using motion controls instead of a typical controller, and its cheap price paired off with party games at a time when the other consoles cost more money and didn’t have much in the way of party games.

Sony and Microsoft have both adopted the elements the Wii had that made people want it. Both have motion controls, both have games/apps that could be used in a party sort of fashion, and most critically, both took it a step further than Nintendo is willing to go by allowing an element of social media and the mostly freedom of speech that comes with it. That leaves Nintendo with a console that has less than what the competition provides, and nothing meaningful given as a trade-off for what they lack. At least with the Vitality Sensor concept, Nintendo could’ve promoted the idea of the game using your vital signs to change the experience, even though having it on your finger would’ve screwed things up.

@36: What does the Wii U have that you wanted to play besides Mario? That’s not an attack if it comes off as one, it’s an honest question.

#54 9 months ago
  55. jordanlund

The sad thing is that even a Playstation Vita developer, in a screed against other consoles, fails to mention the Vita. What does that say? If the Wii U is doing that poorly and the Vita doesn’t even rate being mentioned?

#55 9 months ago
  56. polygem

aha, little deviants dev…this shit game that comes free with an overpriced 16 gb vita memory card.
    you have to love gaming. it’s pure entertainment. the product and everything else about it…industry and community stacked with trolls :)

edit: i bought mario 3 d world AND a ps4 of course…i’m a good boy.

#56 9 months ago
  57. The_Red

I think the next chritmas will be the one when Wii U gets its last chance. Nintendo has to put EVERYTHING it has behind Smash Bros + Mario Kart. They HAVE to have $100 price cut and then see how market reacts.

If Smash + Kart + $150 price tag can’t save Wii U, then it means masses have simply stopped caring about Nintendo’s home consoles.

#57 9 months ago
  58. Clupula

@57 – At $150, the Wii U might actually be worth getting.

#58 9 months ago
  59. The_Red

That’s their last and only option. 250 or even 200 won’t cut it because of PS3 and 360.

Of course it is entirely possible that Iwata gets sacked earlier and a new management turns the whole Nintendo model upside down. Who knows? They might finally hire someone who knows we’re in 21st century.

#59 9 months ago
  60. stealth

” former Little Deviants developer Kenny Linder” oh a failed loser

Wii U is a great console to get right now

#60 9 months ago
  61. InsaneZucchini

@9 That’s one of the most laughably embarrassing arguments I’ve ever seen. Let me hit you with a truth bomb about your “sequel-itis”.

Super Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Mario RPG, and Mario Kart all show up once per generation, there is not more than one per home console release. And up until Super Mario Galaxy 2 there had only ever been one 3-D Platformer Mario per home console,

There was:
    Super Smash Bros – N64
    Super Smash Bros Melee – Gamecube
    Super Smash Bros Brawl – Wii
    Super Smash Bros (4) – Wii U

Super Mario 64 – N64
    Super Mario Sunshine – Gamecube
    Super Mario Galaxy – Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 – Wii
    Super Mario 3D World – Wii U

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – SNES
    Paper Mario – N64
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door – Gamecube
    Super Paper Mario – Wii

The New Super Mario Bros Wii was the first 2-D Platformer Mario on a Nintendo Home Console since the SNES, skipping 2 generations. That’s right. There was no 2-D Platformer Mario on either the N64 or the Gamecube. There was one for the the Wii and there is one on the Wii U.

There has only been one Mario Kart per home console to date as well. Mario Kart-NES, Super Mario Kart-SNES, Mario Kart 64-N64, Mario Kart: Double Dash-Gamecube, Mario Kart Wii-Wii, Mario Kart 8-Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is the newest addition to the Mario Kart series and its “8″ includes handheld titles. So in 30 years of gaming there have only be 8 Mario Karts.

Nintendo’s home consoles on average last 5-6 years each.

Now, let’s take a look at your precious Assassin’s Creed.
    The first Assassin’s Creed released in 2005. To date there have been 10 Assassin’s Creed games (not including iOS and facebook games), 6 of them for home consoles.
    There is:
    Assassin’s Creed
    Assassin’s Creed Bloodlines (PSP)
    Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles (DS)
    Assassin’s Creed II
    Assassin’s Creed II: Discovery (DS)
    Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
    Assassin’s Creed Revelations
    Assassin’s Creed III
    Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation (PS Vita)
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Blackflag

It is now 2013 which means only 8 years have passed since the series was first released. 6 games in 8 years amounts to nearly 1 a year. In the span it’s taken for them to push out these six games you’d be lucky to see two Mario games of the same genre released on a home console.

Mario may be used a lot, but he is an icon more well known internationally than even Mickey Mouse. And while he is used a lot he is used in a variety of ways not simply cookie cutter copy and pastes.

#61 9 months ago
  62. omakone

Unfortunately, I agreed. I love Nintendo, I remember opening the original NES package with the robot and light gun on Christmas morning. We spent so many hours playing Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt for the next year it was crazy. However, that was 1985 and I was 13 years old, I am 41 now.

Nintendo, seems content to release a new version of the same tired IP over and over again. The problem is that with each game a few less people buy the game and eventually you have lost your audience. The new Mario game released and the gaming press could not wait to tell everyone it is the greatest game of all time. However, the game barely moved the needle and could not outsell Killzone Shadow Fall which is a game for a system with less than half the install base and the gaming press almost universally panned the game. If this does not tell you everything you need to know about Nintendo’s problems I do not know what will.

I really wish Nintendo would realize the error of their ways and try to move ahead. Please Nintendo use those incredibly talented people to come out with a true next generation console and some new IP that takes advantage of the new hardware. Until then, I hope that the handheld market can keep you afloat, since the gaming world does not need to lose another of the great companies of the past.

#62 9 months ago
  63. omakone

InsaneZucchini
    It is interesting that when you listed the Assassin’s creed games you included all the platforms, but when you listed the Mario games you left out all the handheld versions of Mario Games. To date Mario has appeared in over 150 games. Granted many of them are cameo appearances, but please don’t try to tell me that Mario is not over used and tired at this point.

Considering the first game to include Mario was Donkey Kong in 1981 that is 32 years. It is safe to say that Mario averages being in 5 games a year. Please Nintendo come out with something new, quit bring Mario out a couple of times a year in a lame attempt to sell more systems.

#63 9 months ago
  64. jlenoconel

Oh my God. So tired of these lame opinions. Its obvious that these people want the Wii U to fail. The original Wii was a huge success, so its inevitable that the competition would love to see the failure of their biggest rival. Now, I’m not saying that Nintendo haven’t made mistakes with both the Wii and Wii U, but I don’t think these mistakes should warrant all the hate this company is getting right now. The Wii U is actually starting to build momentum, but because of all these jealous a-holes trying to generate negative press towards the Wii U, its gonna fail.

Another thing is the fact people are uneducated about what the Wii U is. People that work at Gamestop can’t even explain to customers what the Wii U is. I witnessed this first hand the other day. Anyway, I plan on buying a Wii U next Christmas, and don’t care about all the negative press.

#64 9 months ago
  65. InsaneZucchini

@63 Yes, I did name Assassin’s Creed handheld games, however as noted I did not count that against them. I only counted the 6 home console games. Because again as noted Mario is in fact used a lot, but they’re not all cookie cutter copy and pastes. And people choose to use his “overuse” as a reason to discredit the Wii U, a home console, but not Nintendo’s handhelds themselves even though he’ll show up as frequently if not more on those.

Attempting to call out Mario on “sequel-itis” and using Assassin’s Creed as a beacon free of that issue is in fact a terrible comparison. There are of course other games that may have made this less defensible.

Has Mario been used a ton? Of course, but unlike most other games he’s been around for 30 years. Unlike other characters he’s been used in around half a dozen different game genres. Will you find games that could be considered rehashes of one another certainly, but you’ll find far more games with far more differences than if you were to compare it to Assassin’s Creed who has found a formula they want to stick with.

#65 9 months ago