Project Spark PC beta registrations are now live for Windows 8.1 users

Tuesday, 3rd December 2013 16:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Project Spark beta registrations are now live for the PC version, after seeing a delay in October. Windows 8 users can sign up here and Xbox One testing is scheduled for January. Project Spark is out next year on both systems and you can watch the intro video here if you missed it earlier today.

1. El_MUERkO

Windows 8 users? Are there any?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tormenter

MS at it again.. trying to force a particular OS down our throats.

Roll on SteamOS so I can finally ditch those MS fuckers.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Not me at any rate. I’ll likely update only when forced: aka – when it is no longer supported.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Panthro

Thank god the beta is eventually coming out and then soon the game!!!!!

I can finally ditch buying any indie games because I heard this game can create anything! WOOOOO

Naht…

Not only is this the only interesting thing which MS has been involved in (IMO) in a long time they choose to screw it all up and choose to allow only people with w8 to use it…
    The W7 and below users aren’t worthy because they don’t keep up with every shitty revision they put out, Ahh well…

#4 1 year ago
  5. salarta

@1: I’m sure there are some that have it because they weren’t given a choice.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Willing Windows 8 user here.

It runs smoother than Windows 7 and I’ve had absolutely no problems with it. Many of the Metro apps are fast and easy to use, but also entirely optional 99% of the time.

Spark was pointed out as exclusive to Windows 8 months ago. Not sure why this surprises people.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheKeyPit

@6 Thank you. Windows 8 > Windows 7.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Wertisdk

I don’t get all the hate Windows 8 is getting.
    Yes, I installed a menu (Start8), because I feel the Metro interface is too much of a break, when using the windows button to search, but overal I like it way better than Windows 7.

Windows 8 adds a lot of stuff that I like and it performs way better in my opinion.

I do get a lot of the criticism Microsoft is getting for forcing the Metro interface down peoples throats, but I don’t think it justifies hating it that much and calling it the new Vista.

My ultrabook is even running 8.1 vanilla, because the Metro interface suits my needs when traveling well.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Panthro

@6 @8

With that intention in mind I began to dislike MS and they tried the same thing the X1 and it became clear what they were obviously trying to do, I’m just hoping one day Linux will eventually take off and get the developer support it needs for me to want it, until that day I am sticking with windows 7 since I have no problems with it.

I wasn’t taken by surprise or anything by Project Spark being a W8 exclusive, I’m just still a little pissed they are trying to force people to W8 in order to enjoy something like this when my W7 PC is completely capable of running it, my guess is every MS exclusive game software to come out in the next few years will be a W8 exclusive too, its a damn shame really.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ireland Michael

“That isn’t good ^ to my belief they wanted to shut out developers and only allow the user to install programs from the windows 8 store.”

See, this is the thing. They never, ever planned to do this. It’s complete hyperbole.

Certain people with vested interests of their own just made a big deal out of nothing. Barely anyone even uses the Windows 8 store, and *only* for Metro enabled apps. Everyone latched onto this criticism despite the fact that it isn’t even remotely true.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

“Many people don’t like windows 8 because of the initial intention which MS had of making windows into a closed platform much like there tablet or phone products.

Huh?

I have yet to download anything from windows store on the wife’s computer. Everything I have installed on it was through the web. Its not closed off and you would be misinformed if you thought it was.

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

I really like WIN8, don’t get the big deal about it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TheDuckPortal

^ That isn’t good ^ to my belief they WANTED to shut out developers and only allow the user to install programs from the windows 8 store.”

I did mention they back peddled further down to, I just don’t appreciate there initial intentions the same way I didnt like the way they handled the DRM on the X1.

They are moving more and more towards being like an apple iphone trying to choke as much control out of the user as possible so they are the ones left in control of the device which you have bought, fuck that I’ll pass.

Hopefully a revised W9 will be the big turnaround 180 backpeddle that MS are known for.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

Again this was never the plan even in the pre-release that wasn’t the case nor was it the case pre 8.1. You are grasping at best there was no back pedaling with Windows 8.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheDuckPortal

I saw plenty of articles on the web discussing that W8 was to be/ might be a closed platform before the release…

If I’m getting something wrong its only due to what I read from others beforehand; and even still, you cant agree with me that they are moving more and more towards a closed platform?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

Yeah those going off of the ARM variation of windows 8 made for Tablets…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ireland Michael

@1 5 I can totally understand the reason for being misinformed. There were a lot of people mounting off about it because they were concerned that it would affect their own services. Valve’s Gabe Newell, for instance.

But it simply isn’t true. If anything, it’s more open than ever.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DreamCleaver

Gonna be interesting to see how this’ll play out. I think many gamers still fervently clings to W7 and won’t upgrade to W8 for various reasons.

It’s gonna be interesting to see if MS will buckle or not (assuming it sells poorly on the PC platform).

I personally dislike the new metro app-shit. Looks so goddamn fugly.

#18 1 year ago
  19. triforce-tardis-bowtie-sonic

i have this game but only because i have a new laptop i already had windows 8 its not win8 exclusive its worse its win8.1 exclusive

#19 11 months ago