Xbox One: eights years was right for previous cycle, says Harrison

Friday, 29th November 2013 11:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One is out now, some eight years after its predecessor, the Xbox 360 launched. Microsoft’s Xbox VP Phil Harrison has responded to recent claims that the previous cycle was too long, and has stated that eight years was correct.

It follows comments from EA’s Patrick Soderlund, who suggested that the last cycle was too long, and that PS4 and Xbox One will both be replaced by new consoles in five to six years.

Now, speaking with MCV, Harrison responded, “Eight years is actually the right time. Xbox 360 continues to grow, over 80m units and counting. And the underlying silicon chip design innovations that allow Xbox One to be what it is, didn’t reach the performance level and price point that we needed until right now.

“So if we had come out three years ago with a new console, it would not be to the same degree of performance or price that we have now, and Xbox 360 had seven years of growth which I think is a record for a console.”

Do you feel that the last cycle was too long? How long do you think it will be until PS5 and ‘Xbox Two’ come out?

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

Well it was good for his career as it gave him time to move to Microsoft.

And take the third shit console curse with him :)

#1 8 months ago
  2. Mike W

Last generation was entirely to long…..

#2 8 months ago
  3. AsianGameing

last cycle way long :(, i am hop this cycle 2 or 3 year.

#3 8 months ago
  4. RussellGorall

This is very important.

#4 8 months ago
  5. manamana

“…And the underlying silicon chip design innovations that allow Xbox One to be what it is, didn’t reach the performance level and price point that we needed until right now.”

Mpfhahahahahaahaa! That was a good one, considering nearly all titles are 720p … and it costs 100 bucks more than the competition …

/trolling done but it had be said

#5 8 months ago
  6. Erthazus

Funny thing is that on the Xbox One box you won’t see the resolution on what the game is when Xbox 360 had this before.

PS4 to this day continue it’s old trend showing off what resoluton the game is and it is the right decision. consumers should know what they are buying.

Microsoft is full of …

#6 8 months ago
  7. Cobra951

I’m still playing on the last gen (not too soon to call it that, right?) daily, so it surely wasn’t too long for me.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Clupula

I’ll still be playing my PS3 into 2015, so I would have to agree with him on that. I still don’t see any reason to upgrade yet.

#8 8 months ago
  9. drewbles82

Seriously 2 or 3 years. You really wanna spend £500 every few years on a new console. Look at the quality of games that come out the last few years, non of which would have come out if we moved onto next gen. Developers like time to make a game. Look at GTA5, just shows how much you can do on current gen systems.
    The amount of games that come out and how long they are as well, unless your jobless or rich so you dont have to work,or even a student, its hard enough to get through these games. Im playing GTA5, i still got Borderlands 2, Skyrim to play, 100s of games on arcade as well

#9 8 months ago
  10. Gheritt White

These systems should have shipped *last* Xmas – 7 years is the ideal amount of time for a console gen, IMHO.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Armitage Shanks

I wont be getting either of the new consoles for another two years or so so,plenty still to come this gen.

#11 8 months ago
  12. manamana

Well, I will defo keep playing my 720p consoles for a long time. That doesn’t mean that the new consoles are a bit (if not a year) late, IMHO. Of course there are enough titles to play from last gen.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Hirmetrium

Not only was the last cycle too long, this cycle is already showing its age – the Xbox isn’t going to be able to deliver the power it needs to, and the PS4 will fall behind.

When its now so easy to compare their specs to PC’s, I can see them falling behind very, very quickly.

Not to mention, 4K should arrive in the next few years – they will need to adapt to that, and any new cables or standards that are delivered.

I also feel that both MS and Sony have rushed somewhat with their consoles – not given enough thought or time to it.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Clupula

@13 – You tell them, Computerized Man of the 21st Century! You need to go to Germany and inform all of those people waiting on line for a PS4 that console gaming is dead and that they should go and start comparing specs to PC! I’m sure you’ll change everyone’s mind.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Diingo

Once the Steamboxes come out — a few years down the road they’ll be so powerful and cheap that comparing it to Next Gen consoles would be like comparing the original iPhone to the iPhone 5S.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Dirk

It doesn’t matter, PCs have very little that’s exclusive so there’s not much to show off that extra power.
    4K is irrelevant to the majority, only the ones buying 2-3 of the most expensive cards will get much benefit from it, plus the screens themselves are going to cost a lot. Devs rarely include textures better than consoles anyway, they’ll still look much the same when upscaled to 4K

The Xbone will be fine once developers get used to it and many companies will make sure there’s little difference between the two systems.
    In an ideal word the Steambox and SteamOS will take off but that’s far from guaranteed.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Keivz

“considering nearly all titles are 720p”
    I get what you’re trying to say, but that is an inaccurate statement. Just look at Ryse, 900p; Assassin’s Creed BF, 900p, Forza 5, 1080p; NBA 2K, 1080p, FIFA 14, 1080p; Madden NFL 25, 1080p; NFS Rivals, 1080p; Crimson Dragon, 1080p.

OT: I agree with him. 8 years was just right.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Cort

I can see a PS5 in 2019. I don’t think there’ll be an XBox, er, Two…..

#18 8 months ago
  19. sebastien rivas

Yes there will be a ps5 and an Xbox “something”.
    Although I really hope they both realize what gaming is about.
    In all honesty talking about graphics, graphics, graphics is quite stupid, yet, processing power that includes graphics along it is a necessity that were just put into minimalism if not oblivion by both manufacturers.
    I really do hope gamers as well as manufacturers understand this point for next gen in 2018~20. Both created a cap or plateau that is already reached and optimization can only do so much which not only does it put extra pressure on game developers, it also put a break in the race to realism. I mean otherwise what the fuck do we do, might as well remain on pong or commodore 64?!?!

Now the media part of a machine is cool, and many will love it, and some will have a life changing experience. Though as for me, I am already loaded with SMART TVs in my house for the past few years, I truly don’t need another media that pays the exact same stuffs at the exception of NFL which can already by watched on FOX and other channels.

Anyway, all I can say is that my eyes are turned toward the Steam Machine which by the way brings my last little statement, I bought a R280X and it rocks and is blows all games I have in ultra max settings with 60 FPS and up.

#19 8 months ago
  20. ctankep

2 years too late ., 1 year too early –
    PS4 / Xbone should have come out 2012 when Tahiti / 7970 released.
    But they both wait _d a long time for price envelope to drop to around
    USD $500 mark. Remember th’ PS3 was $900 at launch.

Conversely if they had waited until late 2014 then they could have
    used AMD’s new “Kaveri” chipset with it’s unified memory [ hUMA ].
    Unfortunately AMD have also been falling behind on their roadmap.
    So instead o’ waiting another year PS4 add _d a custom north bridge
    [ "Onion" an' "Garlic" ] to share th’ memory interface.

So we have this weird situation now where PS4 / Xbone is going
    to be impressive for 1 -2 years but pale in comparison to PC -based
    architectures an’ games designed for that. There’s going to be a big
    push for 4K soon an’ “Oculus Rift” is out next year. Those are
    perhaps th’ real markers o’ next generation.

#20 7 months ago