PS4: Microsoft’s policy shake-up had Sony’s House “quite literally” scratching his head

Friday, 29th November 2013 09:51 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 is out now across Europe and the UK. Sony’s Andrew House has reflected on the fact that between generations, little has changed in the way the company does business. He feels that Microsoft’s attempt to shake things up with ‘always-online’ and DRM had the exec, “quite literally” scratching his head.

In an interview with MCV, House reflected on the fact that Sony had to make clear that nothing was changing between PS3 and PS4 – particularly in the areas of game sharing, ownership and online restrictions.

He told the site, “The one thing that surprised me most is that we were required to make such a clear statement that we were going to maintain status quo in areas that we took for granted. That wasn’t something dictated by us, that was by the moves the competition was making. That remains the largest surprise for me – how visceral that reaction was from consumers. But the fact that we had to put a stake in the ground, in an area that we felt was just common sense, still has me quite literally scratching my head.”

Somehow we don’t think he’s alone there.

VG247 spoke with PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara about similar issues last night. You can read his thoughts on the UK launch and what comes next for PS4 here.

1. mistermogul

“Somehow we don’t think he’s alone there.”

Definitely not!

It would have been interesting to see how it panned out for MS if they hadn’t done a 180 in their policies. I’m sure sales would have been considerably less…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Maguire82

LoL we all know Sony were going to implement most of the same policy’s like the DRM they saw the reaction to the MS announcement and did the U turn. I’m really surprised by theses cheap pop shots.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Cort

@3 Yeah, okay. Just roll with the punches and take it like a man.

#3 1 year ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

Lies.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon

@1,
    “It would have been interesting to see how it panned out for MS if they hadn’t done a 180 in their policies.”
    It would have been a sales massacre, like Wii U.

#5 1 year ago
  6. absolutezero

I’m thankful for Jesus Sony delivering the good gospel.

banderas.gif /GAF

#6 1 year ago
  7. RussellGorall

They had the same policies in line earlier this year.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Christopher Jack

The removal of multimedia playback from external devices has me scratching my head. I loved that on my PS3, so simple & convenient.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Kieran

Yea im pretty sure as well sony had done a 180 as well ! But I wonder what the ps4 can and cant do without whe day 1 patch when it comes to trading games and stuff I wonder if any1 tried haha

#9 1 year ago
  10. zoopdeloop

i believe he is being honest,makes sense otherwise they would have said something along the lines right after E3.Why now?
    Since we are going by theories here!Nintendo was also going to implement the same policies on the WiiU but they saw reactions from the future through their crystal ball…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Mus42

Just don’t ask him which “head” he was scratching….

#11 1 year ago
  12. Arcnail

Yes yes, we get it.. you won the PR war.. now get some games (you to Xbone).

#12 1 year ago
  13. Christopher Jack

@11, Already did, he said both.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Azumar

So I guess Sony filed for a patent on a method for blocking used games with RF tags (US Patent No. 20130007892) for shits and giggles then?

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

Companies do this all the time. Especially with patent trolls all over the place waiting to sue a company as big as SOny or MS.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Azumar

There’s no reason for a company to file a defensive patent for a technology they never had any intention of using. The only purpose for doing so would be to patent troll, which is obviously not Sony’s intent.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cort

@14 Yes. And the other major flaw in your argument is they patented a similar thing during the later years of the PS2 era.

@16 Obviously you’ve never spent a day working for a big company (or a patent office) otherwise you’d know how much nonsense you’re talking.

#17 1 year ago