Xbox One: free game for those affected by hardware issues

Tuesday, 26th November 2013 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft will give a free digital game to those whose Xbox One has gone on the blink,, allowing them to get some gaming in even without a functioning optical drive.

The news comes via an email from a Microsoft support representative published by Polygon.

“While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game. We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios,” the representative said.

According to Eurogamer, users can choose between Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome and Zoo Tycoon.

Microsoft has confirmed that a very small number of Xbox One units are experiencing hardware problems related to the optical drive, and promised to “take care” of those affected.

Sony has had similar issues with the PlayStation 4.

1. ddtd

So they’re allowing people to keep the bad units until the new ones show up?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

Updated with list of what games are available.

#2 1 year ago
  3. derpachu

@1 is that bad? They’re getting a new console.

#3 1 year ago
  4. For Blood

It takes a $500 credit deposit for them to send you that system. So if you don’t have credit card you are screwed.

#4 1 year ago
  5. geniuskonzy

now I wish mine was broken :(

#5 1 year ago
  6. derpachu

@4 there’s two options. Send it in and they send one back.
    Or make a 500$ deposit then they send you one and you send the broken one back.
    Or go to your local Microsoft store(if you have one)

#6 1 year ago
  7. ddtd

@3 I didn’t say that was bad. I was curious if that was correct or not.

(Edited because I didn’t see the $500 deposit/hold until the old one is shipped back. Still, not a bad thing if you’re affected.)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Arcnail

@4 while not ideal, you think they should just send you one cause you say it’s broken with no collateral? what stops people from just walking away with both?

Either way.. a nice move by MS for sure. What do the %1 of PS players get with their blue ring of whatever?

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

Micro$oft is teh eevil.

Dey tride to chanje gameing back in 2004.

Boooo!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Doppleganger

Its funny as I never even put one cd in my xbox yet. Now Im curious.
    I went fully digital with my xbox one and If I was Microsoft I wouldn’t have listen to the complainers and would have made the system fully digital. They wouldn’t have had this problem and now the Valve box will beat them to the punch and take over that gaming industry.
    Oh and the system would have been cheaper and wouldn’t have been so damn big.

#10 1 year ago
  11. derpachu

@7 Well Sony already gives 10$ store credit. Plus a new console.
    So either is not that bad.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DiodeX

@10, totally digital is a great idea, if the internet was superfast everywhere, I unfortunately live with 2.5 Megs! I love living in the rural UK :D
    I may open a superfast internet download shop :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

Cutting out the Disc Drive would only remove 50$ tops. You can get a bluray drive for quite cheap. Removing the Kinect would be the only thing to allow it to be the same price as the Ps4.

#13 1 year ago
  14. gomersoul

What good is a free game when you’re console don’t work, I’ve got some advice. Buy a ps4

#14 1 year ago
  15. derpachu

@14, that’s why you get sent a new one.

#15 1 year ago
  16. bradk825

My Kinect was a brick when I got it, you can do the credit card hold mentioned above and they send you one, then you send back the old one, but if you don’t have a credit card you are still not screwed. There is an option to send the old one first, then have the new one sent.

Obviously I picked the one that gets me my Kinect sooner but @4 there is another option.

I wonder if my Kinect problem qualifies, that would be awesome. I don’t have DR3 yet.

#16 1 year ago