Super Mario 3D World cements Wii U as family Christmas option

Tuesday, 26th November 2013 12:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Super Mario 3D World has capped off a Wii U line-up that should be seriously considered for Christmas by families, says Patrick Garratt.

Little appeals to my kids better than Mario. It’s one of their favourite things. Any parent will tell you that certain objects and concepts gel with a child’s desires so perfectly they have to power to dominate their every thought. Mario is one of them.

These are the things my children like so much I have to limit because if I didn’t they wouldn’t do anything else:

• Sweets
  • Mario
  • Chocolate
  • Rayman
  • TV in general
  • Minecraft
  • Peggle

Sweets win. Just. Rayman Legends came a close second to Mario (they wouldn’t shut up about it for weeks), but Nintendo’s mustachioed mascot is the most popular game in our house, hands down. Super Mario 3D World means I now have to say “no” at least twice a day. They’re allowed to watch me play it on Tuesday evening (kids in France don’t go to school on Wednesday) and after tea at the weekend. They know this. They ask anyway.

Everything about Mario is already monumentally appealing to children – the styling, the sounds, the fireworks – but Super Mario 3D World takes it to the next level. There’s the cat suit, for a start. Yellow furry Mario pawing his way up a wall to get a green star screams “love me” to a child’s mind so loudly it’s in danger of causing mental deafness. My three did proper emoticon shocked faces the first time they saw it.

Then there’s the ability to use Peach. Meredith, my little girl, is enraptured. She’s seven, and she’s becoming more discerning. She watched a bunch of New Super Mario Bros. U, but once we’d completed the main levels she lost interest. My four year-old boys’ appetite for it is insatiable, to the point that I’m still going through the levels for the three large coins to unlock all the Star World stuff. Meredith couldn’t be bothered. I realised why when we played Rayman Legends: it’s full of playable female characters, and New Super Mario Bros. U has none. Super Mario 3D World not only has Peach, but it has cat and tanooki Peach, which makes Meredith giggle because they float. It’s pretty cute.

Nintendo has been focused on the family game for many years now, but I don’t think I’ve played a better example of the intention than this. It even works for me. I’m a 40 year-old man and I play video games. If a game’s too simplistic I can’t play it. If it’s too complex, the kids can’t be bothered. Then there’s Fiona, my wife. She can appreciate games, but she has a slight appetite for them. The way to her heart, apparently, was Peach in a cat suit.

So there we all were, on a Sunday evening with the kids on beanbags in their pyjamas, me playing the game and Fiona drinking a cup of coffee and squealing along with the rest of them, all of us sitting together having a great time. The game’s challenging (“Why did you die, daddy?”) so I enjoy playing, but there’s something else in it for everyone. Think about it: how many games, or even systems that play games, are capable of being simultaneously appealing to people from four to 40 years old, from non-gamers to core gamers, men, girls, boys and women?

Exactly. Families would do well to consider a Wii U for Christmas, especially if they include young children. You can get one bundled with a game for around £200 if you look in the right place. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3 and LEGO City: Undercover will keep you all happy for countless hours. These games delight children. Next-gen is next-gen, but it’s expensive and there’s little in there to appeal to under-18s. Don’t discount Nintendo’s power to create software which pull families together. Super Mario 3D World is just the latest example, and I doubt my family’s going to be stopping playing it anytime soon.

Disclosure: This article was based on a copy of Super Mario 3D World supplied by Nintendo. Playing it and getting stuck? Help yourself out with our massive play guide.

1. mistermogul

Your kids have good taste Pat!

#1 9 months ago
  2. Patrick Garratt

They love it, yep!

#2 9 months ago
  3. naffgeek

I am 42 with no kids and still think the WiiU is the console to have this xmas, great games, brilliantly realised, 1080p 60fps (for those that care) and no bloody Micro-Transactions (that I have seen).

Merry gaming xmas indeed!

#3 9 months ago
  4. Dragon

If they don’t already have a PS3 and/or 360. For similar price, those consoles offer way more games, and very good ones at that.

#4 9 months ago
  5. tenthousandgothsonacid

@4 speaks the truth

Wii-U is fine for casual gamers like pat(*) who got sent a free one but it’s just not worth it for the rest of us.

(*) assuming patlike on psn is pat then he’s a *very* casual gamer :)

#5 9 months ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

I think PS4 would probably be better for kids (family) games in the long run, though…

You may have a load of fun with a Wii U this year, but it may be difficult to find any games for it next year.

Especially as the PS3 has Minecraft coming for it, and for me, Sony consoles have a history of more kids games than the third option.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Dragon

@Ghz,
    Well said. Buying a console for (mainly) one game is a notion I don’t support. Some do, and good for them.

#7 9 months ago
  8. matirishhh

I agree. I got myself this pre-Christmas present which was WIIU…
    I’m very happy with it! I’m buying Mario and putting it under the tree for myself! That would be a merry time indeed! I’m 29 have no kids too, but planing to get some soon! ;) so Mario might as well wait for them!

#8 9 months ago
  9. Bowser

I’ve had a lot of fun with 3D World this weekend and I’m def looking forward to bringing the console home and playing it with the folks over the holidays.

I think at this point in time, the Wii U is the current-gen system to get. PS4 and Xbone just don’t have games that look all that appealing for now I’m sure eventually Sony’s platform will get games that look enticing, but they aren’t there yet. Whereas Wii U has Nintendoland, NSMBU, ZombiU, Wind Waker HD, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition, and 3D World now and so on just scraping the top along with a plethora of downloads. In the long run, I believe this gen will be much like the last two: get a Nintendo console for first-party titles and some off-beat games, and get the more appealing of Sony or Microsoft’s products, which looks to be Sony’s this gen, for third-party titles. For now, I think Nintendo’s is the one already worth owning.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m on the final world now, and I have yet to play a level that was in any way boring or predictable. It’s an absolute embarrassment of riches his game. Every level has some new idea or seven to play around with.

Game of the year in my books.

#10 9 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

My friend has a a Wii U ordered for Christmas. I think the console is very appealing this festive season.

#11 9 months ago
  12. monkeygourmet

Great! :) I’m getting my copy on Thursday! Can’t wait!

Cool! You can check out my childish scrawlings on Miiverse! ;)

#12 9 months ago
  13. Telepathic.Geometry

BTW, I added you monkey. Finally figured out that I had to confirm my own settings before I could add anyone. The Wii U UI wins again… :D

#13 9 months ago
  14. Parzival

Great article!

The Wii U finally has its first must-have title and people should start considering it more. This Christmas the console will have a great lineup of exclusives to play on it. The Mario games, The Wind Waker HD, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 and Zombi U are among the best.

Plus, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8 and the sequel to Xenoblade are coming next year.

I say it’s a pretty good time to buy a Wii U.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Nintendoro

I’m 30 core gamer and WiiU is certainly not just a family-friendly console. There are games on it that apeal to all ages. Many of them are 18+ I recommend it to anyone who is considering to buy a new kit to play stuff with family or on his own. In the right time it will become very popular

#15 9 months ago
  16. CycloneFox

@9: I would say, as a mature player, right now the best option is a PS3, where you have not only the most games to play, but also the widest spectrum of different game-types (There is just so many exclusive and non-exclusive, indi and tripple-A, Japanese ans western stuff, it would be rediclious to even begin a list).

And because of the good experience I’ve had with each Playstation system, I will buy the PS4 in a few days, of course (I’ve never had as much fun with any handheld as with my Vita).

But, because Nintendo bought Monolith Soft, even as a serious gamer over 12 years, I have to own a Nintendo system. I loved Xenosaga, am still playing Xenogears on my Vita and like Xenoblade alot. So as soon as the next X-project comes out, I finnally want to play a Xeno-game in HD and will have to buy a Wii U and then I can catch up with some Zelda again, too. So I think, as a fan of Japanese games, a mix of Sony and Nintendo-systems is the optimum.

So to get to the topic: I need no Mario. It’s nice to have a Mario, of course. They’re all good games. But the reason for me to own a Wii U will be Monolith Softs X.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Ireland Michael

I’ve been seeing videos of people sitting around playing the likes of Mario 3D World and Rayman Legends lately, and it looks far more fun than the dreary and colourless “adult” games promoting the “next generation” of gaming. It looks infinitely more fun.

The Wii U is a great investment full stop, but I’m afraid it will probably never gain the momentum it deserves.

#17 9 months ago
  18. polygem

+1 the article.
    nintendo games really are different (edit: often). i don´t want to use the word magic now because i know that some peeps seem to be allergic to it but these games definitely have a certain ingredient that unleashes our inner child. some obviously hate that, others enjoy it.

#18 9 months ago
  19. viralshag

I’d buy one… if I didn’t think it was going to be a waste of money in the long run.

#19 9 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

Prepare yourself for: “Thats not Nintendo exclusive!”

Out of interest, can anyone name even 5 games on PS3 / 360 that offer solid 4 player couch co-op that appeal to a wide range of people?

I’m racking my brains but have only come up with a few..:

LBP
    FIFA (does that even count)
    Castle Crashers
    Trine
    Rayman

Can’t really think of many others.

#20 9 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Also,

This article is up on GAF :)

Apparently VG247 is a ‘niche hobbyist’ website.

Obviously if this article was on another website, it would be taken more seriously…. Soooo much arrogance on GAF, I don’t know where to start.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Joe Musashi

Few people hate anything. Assigning the term “hate” to a view you don’t empathise with is childish exaggeration and straw-man logic.

What a shame some commenter’s can’t simply celebrate a positive article on a superb game without using the same broken logic to try and win some meaningless points in personal agendas.

Very telling indeed.

JM

#22 9 months ago
  23. Spider Law

Mario 3D World and Zelda Wind Waker HD are the only 2 games i look to pick up for the Wii U by this years end and goodness are they enough. Both look and play amazing so i cant wait to get them. Very high quality, the both. Kudos Nintendo.

@22 +123.58
    Agreed

#23 9 months ago
  24. Ireland Michael

@22 Surely the fact that you’re posting a negative response about people not being positive on an article about the positive nature of gaming is something that isn’t lost on you, Joe?

How about discussing the subject of the article instead? You’re poking holes and creating a draught that nobody cares to deal with. This thread doesn’t need it.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Phoenixblight

Portal 2
    Modnation
    Lego Series
    Child of Light
    Puppeteer
    Disney Infinity

Wii U only has 2 games that I would like to play but its not to the point where I must have it. Give it another price drop(match the 360 and PS3 in price now) along with a new Zelda game and I would get it. Maybe next year.

#25 9 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

That reminds me, I need to grad Puppeteer at some point.

The Wii U has couch co-op / multiplayer that’s hard to emulate, I can’t see my family sitting round playing Portal 2 on Xmas day! :)

#26 9 months ago
  27. Phoenixblight

Thats subjective though because my wife and I play all those games and my 4 year old daughter loves to watch them.

My daughter especially loves Disney Infinity and “the Puppet game”. :P

#27 9 months ago
  28. Clupula

@20 – Portal 2′s co-op is only two player.

But I can name a bunch of 4 player couch co-op PS3 games.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (although I do hope you have a huge HDTV for that one if you’re all going to split up)
    Dragon’s Crown
    Twisted Metal
    Tales of Graces F
    Tales of Xillia
    LBP
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
    Castle Crashers
    All those old school Capcom/Konami arcade beat-em-ups (X-Men, D&D, etc…)
    DOA5 Ultimate

#28 9 months ago
  29. Clupula

That said, I’ll be the first to admit if I had children, I’d probably buy a Wii U for them to play. Kids do love their Mario Kart.

#29 9 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

You have just made my day if you are right about Castlevania. I have it on 360 but thought it was online only! :)

Also, nice list. Nice but niche. As niche as this website is on Neogaf.

The tales games are fun, but hardly something you can get stuck into easily. I have a lot of multiplayer games, and the only ones that even get a look in over Wii U / Wii games when I have friends over are: FIFA, motorstorm. Just my experience anyway.

#30 9 months ago
  31. polygem

Some love it, some hate it, some are in between and some will be internet clowns for all eternity.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Joe Musashi

@24 That door was already opened. I merely walked through it. And so have you, it seems.

But, you know, you can’t blame me because I’m not accountable for anything I say. It’s always the other guys. If I pretend I don’t know what I’m doing and whilst I carry on doing it then that’s someone else’s fault too, not mine. Hypocritical-smiley-wink-lol.

JM

#32 9 months ago
  33. Ireland Michael

@32 That line is getting really old.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. You’re not an idiot.

#33 9 months ago
  34. Joe Musashi

I’m not here to argue with you Ireland Michael.

But perhaps you should be directing your eye of judgement at those gleefully lighting fires rather than the ones commenting on the acrid smell of burning. You’ll find adressing one results in the absence of the other.

JM

#34 9 months ago
  35. monkeygourmet

Love / Hate is a well known dual emotion to place together. It’s not out of this world to hear them used to describe something that garners mixed feelings.

Even Pat uses ‘Love’ in his description of his children enjoying Mario. It’s clearly not ‘love’, but we know exactly what he means.

#35 9 months ago
  36. polygem

well joe must be an idiot actually. at least he acts like one. i told him that i’m responsible for every single word that i say but he tries to paint pictures again in post #32.
    he says i’m the one loving to insult people while he lies about me calling me a liar :)
    joe, i am not your therapist but i can tell you: the internet will make it so much worse for you.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Ireland Michael

@34 It really doesn’t. It just fans the flames higher.

#37 9 months ago
  38. Legendaryboss

“Its happening again?” Solidus, MGS2. “Could it be that he’s here too?” Ocelot, MGS2

#38 9 months ago
  39. polygem

it will be happening over and over again until it clicks

#39 9 months ago
  40. Joe Musashi

Both are exaggerations and are fond and frequent misappropriations by those that practice straw-men logic to inflate their opinion and discredit anothers.

If you’re resorting to exaggeration then you’re overcompensating for something.

JM

#40 9 months ago
  41. Bomba Luigi

I think its pretty Simple:

- You like Nintendo Games? Than Buy a WiiU, because it has Nintendogames
    - You don’t like Nintendo Games? Its not a Console for you, because it has Nintendogames

Liking Nintendo Stuff or don’t like it is both 100% Legit.

#41 9 months ago
  42. Clupula

@30 – The PS3 version of Castlevania: Harmony of Despair has couch co-op. Might even be up to 6 people, but I’ve only done 3 at time. Me and two bandmates, where it became a huge point of humor to us to run to different ends of a level so that the entire map showed and we had to squint really hard to see our characters.

As for the Tales games, personally, I hate playing them co-op because I don’t like not knowing what my partner is going to do in battle and if I’m just instructing them on how to play, I might as well play single player. BUT they do have the option and, apparently, that’s big to a lot of people, at least, according to forums I’ve read where people talk about their experiences playing them together with people.

#42 9 months ago
  43. Legendaryboss

There is a problem within that statement that seems wrong, but i don’t know what?

#43 9 months ago
  44. polygem

@joe: post # 18 ignited a fire? that was too much for you already? aha. good to know, because i actually tried to be polite and didn’t want to hurt anyones feelings.

#44 9 months ago
  45. Ireland Michael

Just bloody let it go everyone. You’re ruining a perfectly great and positive article.

@40 “@37 And who lights the flames in the first place. No flames, no flames to fan. Simple.”

That’s not how it works and you know it. You could let the fire die out.

#45 9 months ago
  46. polygem

you’re absolutely right mike.
    joe, e-mail me if you like.

#46 9 months ago
  47. Joe Musashi

I’m not aware anyone has expressed hurt feelings.

Nor has anyone expressed anything was too much. “aha”.

As always, the salaciousness of your commentrie belies your attempts at innocence.

Even mild exaggeration is still exaggeration.

The straw-man approach still in full effect – argue against something that didn’t happen. Distract against something that did.

Same old, same old practiced by the same. Every time.

Yet when their own thin skin is pricked, they cry foul in an instant (employing excaggeration and straw-man logic).

You know, maybe it’s not burning I can smell. Maybe it’s just bullshit.

@45 I could. But it won’t. Firestarters are content to fan the flames when others won’t.

JM

#47 9 months ago
  48. Ireland Michael

@47 Yes, yours.

Change the goddamn record.

#48 9 months ago
  49. monkeygourmet

@JM

It seemed like only you observed the terrible misuse of the word ‘hate’.

Everyone else was either:

Not bothered
    Didn’t care
    Didn’t read it
    Didn’t interrupt it the way you did
    Etc… (Pick any)

So you are now pre-emptying conflict? To save people who didn’t care in the first place about what exactly…?

Looks like you are just picking fights too me…

#49 9 months ago
  50. Joe Musashi

BRB. Writing irrelevant love letter about corporation that doesn’t know I exist. Will be sharing with all v.soon.

JM x

#50 9 months ago
  51. Ireland Michael

@49 Then stop punching back. The sooner he has nothing to respond to, the sooner he’ll shut up.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Joe Musashi

Don’t be silly. That’s not how double standards work.

Also, your contributions have not exactly been on topic. So…

JM

#52 9 months ago
  53. Clupula

Children! Do I have to turn this car around?!?

#53 9 months ago
  54. Legendaryboss

Anyway… Great article Pat, just fully read through it now and as echoed by other commenters Nintendo is a good, cheap and viable option for families, though not necessarily the only one.

#54 9 months ago
  55. polygem

remember, we’re here because post #18 was igniting a F I R E!

#55 9 months ago
  56. Legendaryboss

You did it again, skips away…

#56 9 months ago
  57. monkeygourmet

The car is now consumed in HATE FIRE, there’s no turning round or saving it now!!! :)

#57 9 months ago
  58. polygem

@56: it’s just really funny – or tragic, or both. all this meaningless bullshit because of post # 18 in which i naturally wanted to use the word magic, then thought about it, tried to be polite and still got it wrong by using the love/hate thing.
    i. am. so. sorry.
    seriously now. i am.
    are you as well joe?

#58 9 months ago
  59. fihar

They aren’t. Good games are good games, using ridiculous distinctions such as Nintendo games and Sony games and dudebro games are prime example of ridiculous narrow-mindedness that is almost as stupid as dividing JRPGs and WRPGs as if they’re separate entities.

As a company they may be still be living inside a bubble that is showing no signs of bursting but I never understood this tendency to group all Nintendo games into a world of their own.

#59 9 months ago
  60. Dragon

@59,
    Very well said.

“almost as stupid as dividing JRPGs and WRPGs as if they’re separate entities.”
    Except this part :D

#60 9 months ago
  61. polygem

@59: to me they really are. must not mean that they really REALLY are but to me they feel extremely different. opinions are opinions are opinions.

#61 9 months ago
  62. Clupula

A fictional man once said, “Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.”

Then he turned into Christopher Eccelston’s eyes, because Christopher Eccelston is apparently too busy playing Shakespearean parts like Destro in G.I. Joe and the leader of the goth Teletubbies in Thor: The Dark World to come back and film for two hours.

#62 9 months ago
  63. Clupula

@59 – The divide between WRPG and JRPG is really the divide between old school console RPGs and old console PC RPGs, but since they’re both on consoles now, people just gave them the “Western” and “Japanese” prefixes. I can see a difference in gameplay style, design, and storytelling, personally.

#63 9 months ago
  64. monkeygourmet

I know what your saying, but it’d would be a shame to lump everything together.

I love Naughty Dog games (well, the work and polish that goes into them). They have a certain flair to them, and I’m glad there is nothing similar out there.

Games need to have that special something, otherwise there might as well only be one console on the market. Each of the platforms have their stars and trump cards and each are worth owning if possible.

Nintendo pays a lot of attention to the way their games control. I play lots of games and not many come close to nailing almost perfect control / playability as a good Nintendo game. That to me is their unique selling feature: playability.

Saying that, I can’t get an experience like Uncharted 2 on the Wii U, so all systems have there unique selling points. To think you can get everything on one system just isn’t possible. You can come close but nothing plays like a Nintendo / Naughty Dog game, you can only try to replicate the formula.

#64 9 months ago
  65. polygem

i never wanted to light any fires. seriously not.
    it’s an assumption to say that this was my intention but well, all i can say is that i am sorry if i pissed you off again.
    can you accept that joe?

#65 9 months ago
  66. Ireland Michael

@62 I think someone is mildly upset about Eccleston not being in the 50th. =P

Yay Doctor Who.

#66 9 months ago
  67. Legendaryboss

#67 9 months ago
  68. monkeygourmet

#68 9 months ago
  69. Legendaryboss

#69 9 months ago
  70. monkeygourmet

I can’t imagine Ballmer being easy to take down! :)

#70 9 months ago
  71. polygem

knock knock…joe? you still there? be friends again? come on…

#71 9 months ago
  72. Legendaryboss

#72 9 months ago
  73. Clupula

The time to hesitate is through

#73 9 months ago
  74. Ireland Michael

I half imagine Legendary has a directory on his PC or some cloud storage where all his gifs are organised and categorised for reference sake, just so be has something available at every opportunity.

#74 9 months ago
  75. Legendaryboss

In this case it is the power of google plus speedy connection but there are some gifs locked away somewhere waiting for the right opportunity to introduce itself. Or some gifs that i just had to bookmark for special occasions.

#75 9 months ago
  76. absolutezero

What in the name of all that is Nintendo is going on here?

What the fuck. Again.

#76 9 months ago
  77. fihar

@61, 63 & 64
    Acknowledging the different characteristics and traits of each developer’s/company’s work is fine.

Using words such as magic isn’t making things any better. By doing so, you’re no better than the very same people who solely refers to resolutions and FPSes as the sole criteria in judging or dismissing a game. Subjectivity is great and dare I say essential in trying to judge a creative work but there’s a fine line between subjectivity and bigotry and a set of objectivity is needed to disparate between the two.

I’ve always believed that video games are neither purely abstract nor purely technical, they’re a mix of those two.

Anyway, the reason I used the WRPG and JRPG distinction as an example is because a lot of people seem to think that they’re mutually exclusive, as in you can only like one but not both, which is inherently stupid. As if Skyrim doesn’t have its fair share of grinding.

#77 9 months ago
  78. Joe Musashi

@77 “..but there’s a fine line between subjectivity and bigotry..

Superb observation. Well put.

JM

#78 9 months ago
  79. monkeygourmet

“I just disliked the implication that Nintendo games appeals only to a specific group of people so much so that they needed a classification of their own, both by Nintendo fans and Nintendo haters.”

You could say that about the title of the article and the article itself though. You could argue the article try’s to paint Nintendo in the family friendly / kiddie light as an attempt to classify the company.

As you must be well aware, Nintendo as a company divide gamers in many ways. It’s only gotten more divisive since they released the Wii (and turned their back on the hardcore, whatever that means). This is largely a positive article, but you could easily say it still attempts to ‘pigeon hole’ the company aswell (family friendly image, no sign of Zombi U, Ninja Gaiden, COD or W101 here!)

“These games delight children!”

#79 9 months ago
  80. polygem

knock…knock…?

#80 9 months ago
  81. polygem

quick google search:

“The magic is really in the details”
    trustedreviews.com

“Even questionable control choices do little to mar the magic that is simply Mario in each and every way.”
    gametrailers

“magic everywhere”
    ign video review

it’s just a word to describe that it’s a very special game. nothing wrong with showing some love and passion for a game.

i really don’t understand why it’s such a huge issue for some.

i found demons souls magical too and bungie put some serious space magic into their games on a regular basis as well.

@joe: friends again?

#81 9 months ago
  82. monkeygourmet

Just swap out ‘magic’ with ‘unique Nintendo qualities’ or something along those lines.

Basically, by using the ‘wrong’ descriptive word, you open yourself up to people ignoring all your other points and homing in on your ‘mistake’. It’s a very easy way to derail a conversation or lead you down a certain path.

Or, ignore that and carry on as you were, because it really doesn’t matter. Long term posters either:

Know what you mean or…
    Already don’t get on with you

:D

#82 9 months ago
  83. polygem

if #18 caused this, i don’t know, bit too hard to really please everyone around here. i even tried…
    but well, yeah, fuck this.
    only wish joe would be cool enough to laugh about himself once in a while or, well, at least accept an apology.
    would make things a little more fun and real.
    this is just a videogame site. no warzone.

#83 9 months ago
  84. fihar

Actually, Pat’s write-up is exactly the opposite.
    Mario’s appeal is universal. It’s whimsical and charming enough to appeal to those who aren’t as capable as we all are to dissect the game in more critical ways (e.g. Pat’s family members) but it is also chock full of clever and intelligent designs that can easily be appreciated by anyone who has an interest in video games (in this case, Pat himself).

Keep in mind that I’m not talking about Nintendo’s image as a company, I’m talking about their products and their merits as a video game.

You shouldn’t mistake family-friendly with childish by the way.
    Scott Pilgrim is childish. Wreck-It-Ralph is family-friendly.

You’re taking what I said the wrong way.
    What I meant was you can’t chalk up everything to magic. There are a lot of other definable qualities that Mario have without you having to boil everything down to one simple, abstract word.
    That’s no different than you basically putting up a sign saying ‘I don’t know what makes this game good, but I do know for a fact that this is indeed good, so I’m going to use a word so broad and abstract that people will know what I’m talking about but at the same time, they won’t’.
    Which brings me back to my original point, video games are a mix of the abstract and the technical.

#84 9 months ago
  85. monkeygourmet

I wouldn’t lose any sleep about it, that’s for sure! :)

#85 9 months ago
  86. polygem

definitely not.

#86 9 months ago
  87. monkeygourmet

I would say that it (the article) dances carefully between the notion of ‘family friendly’ & ‘childish’. The fact it only uses a selective focus on certain titles doesn’t help IMO.

Ultimately, if it gets more people to enjoy a broader range of titles, it’s a positive thing, I won’t argue with that. The only problem being, it feels like people / journalists have to attach a certain function or pre cursor to a Nintendo product as to render worthy for a gamer. I don’t see that as forced with other products, although I’m aware Nintendo may go out on a limb more (input devices etc…)

In this case; the fact it appeals to all ages. Now, that’s a lovely thing, but I can happily say, if your into games it’s a great console for the exclusives and features it contains. The only barrier in any choice like this is money. I would also say the same about PS3 / 360 and PS4 / Xbone (when they prove themselves more).

“Next-gen is next-gen, but it’s expensive and there’s little in there to appeal to under-18s’”

There is a clear divide Pat is creating here rather than looking a gamers as a whole. Each console has family friendly and other experiences as others have pointed out.

#87 9 months ago
  88. monkeygourmet

@Fihar

As for your reply to Poly, I think we all know what we are getting at by this stage don’t we?

If someone says (for example):

“No one does it like Naughty Dog”, you don’t immediately need them to quantify what ‘it’ means. We all know Naughty Dog are famous for providing a certain quality and style in their titles and the poster is probably using ‘it’ to summarise that certain flair.

Picking it apart and making them explain themselves is only necessary if you were trying to explain yourself to someone with no knowledge of video games.

I think it’s fair to assume we all understand the special qualities Nintendo games have. Do you really want people to give a lengthy description of Mario / Uncharted each time? :)

#88 9 months ago
  89. Bomba Luigi

“It irks me so much that people think that Nintendo games are in a magical land of their own that is sooo different from the rest of the world.”

Yes, thats exactly what I think. Its okay if you think something else, but I still can think of it as Magic.
    You can’t take that away from me, because Magic.

#89 9 months ago
  90. fihar

I kinda get the impressions that the article is simply meant as a Christmas shopping guide for the family, which really is a no-brainer if you think about it.

There’s a huge difference between using a pronoun as a replacement for something else and using a noun that for all intents and purposes doesn’t exactly have any real meaning when used to describe a video game. That is no different than Jeremy Clarkson saying that the MP4-12C lacks ‘zing’ when compared to the 458.
    That is basically a cop-out answer.

#90 9 months ago
  91. Legendaryboss

“Its happening again? Could it be that he’s here too?” MGS2, Solidus/Ocelot.

#91 9 months ago
  92. Panthro

‘OMG A WIIU ARTICLE! WE BETTER BECOME ASSHOLES IN THE COMMENT SECTION AGAIN’

Nintendo will always be family centered, and you would be making complete tits of yourselves to think otherwise…

For my kids? The console games currently on PS4 and X1 are shit, end of.

Unless you have began raising your kids on violent games then OK, get a grown ups console for them meanwhile I relish in playing co-op Mario with mine while they retain there innocence.

(Not saying all PS4 and X1 child games are going to be bad, its just Nintendo seem to always offer top quality kids titles over those on the competitors except LBP, that game was a friggin’ masterpiece for a kids game)

#92 9 months ago