Star Citizen crowdfunding hits $31 million

Tuesday, 26th November 2013 01:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Citizen is the crowdfunding campaign that just won’t quit, adding another $2 million to its coffers within the last few days.

At time of writing, Star Citizen had attracted $31,137,083 in funding from 313,526 backers, an average of about $99 each.

That’s up from $29 million just three days ago.

The latest letter from the chairman confirms the unlocking of the $31 million stretch goal – the RSI Orion. It’s a mining platform with “high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation”.

The Orion was selected by backers, as the next ship will be; currently, the Explorer is winning the popular vote.

Star Citizen is expected on PC in 2014.

1. Luciferous

This monster just keeps on growing and growing!

I backed it ages ago, but only at a basic(ish) level… once we see some proper gameplay I might splash out a bit more to get a nicer ship.

#1 8 months ago
  2. The_Red

I’m pretty sure this is not a space sim game and is just an ambitious project to see how much money they can get. Seriously, every SINGLE week we get a new update about how much more money this project has attracted.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Llewelyn_MT

At $20M I said wow.
    At $25M I said it’s getting ridiculous.
    At $31M…

#3 8 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Sigh. Gullible people must have money to burn.

I’ve been saying that all along. So much money with absolutely nothing to show for it. This still smells like the con of the century, to me. Assuming this were actually real, surely they would have shown their backers some actual gameplay by now? Even a short campaign? A mission?

I’m so leery of this. I think at best it’s going to be a short, poorly made game and that Roberts is going to be laughing all the way to the bank. Consider: He could make a terrible, short game and say that he still did his best and met his contractual obligations with those funding him. Except that now he’s rich and he has a motion-capture studio to rent out.

I’m absolutely sure that if this were real, with the amount of money he has, if there were anything to show he’d be bringing his backers in on the development process to reward them for their loyalty. But as yet, all we’ve seen is lip-service and sexy car commercials. I just feel bad for those who believed him. (It’s called empathy.)

I just don’t believe it’s real. It’s just… greasy. It smells all wrong.

#4 8 months ago
  5. foofly

@4 This is arts funding pure and simple. They’ve offered their vision and brief to the public and in return they’ve offered the cash. If they fail, they fail and their reputation is forever ruined because of it.

It’s really down to the developers how much they let in the public on their process. I’m interested to see how this turns out,

#5 8 months ago
  6. Buran

Have you actually been to the main site and poked around the forums? If this was a con, it’d be the biggest and most implausable I’ve ever heard about. I’m not gonna defend the game (I am a backer and excited to see how it turns out), just ask you to check up some more about it.

Oh, and there’s gameplay available for backers, more of a showroom for the stuff you’ve pledged with but it’s been growing incrimentally since august. And we’re getting real gameplay by the end of the year.

#6 8 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

Buy the game

…realise you can’t play the hanger without a ship

Buy a ship

Buy a digital manual

…realise the ship you bought wasn’t compatible with the hanger

Buy another ship

…realise you no longer qualify for insurance

Wander around your hanger

…realise your hanger looks crap

Buy a hanger upgrade

Buy some currency

…realise you’ve no idea what the currency is worth

Buy a 12-month subscription

…realise you’ve spent $240 on a subscription of mostly free digital content like newsletters and access to exclusive merch… that you also have to pay for.

Buy something called ‘shut up and take my money’

…realise that the dev is now trolling you and actually just taking your money.

Look at bank account

$-3000

……ah, shit.

…realise that the ‘second coming of triple-A PC gaming’ is the worst micro-payment offender outside of mobile games.

…feel a little dead inside.

Buy a console

#7 8 months ago
  8. AmiralPatate

You do realise those “shut up my money” things are basically what it says on the tin, right?

#8 8 months ago