Quantum Break uses Digital Molecular Matter, a highly accurate and versatile destruction system

Monday, 25th November 2013 15:12 GMT By Sherif Saed

Quantum Break developer Remedy Entertainment, is using a highly accurate and versatile destruction system called Digital Molecular Matter (DMM), developed by Pixelux Entertainment. The company has now announced its partnership with Remedy.

According to Pixelux Entertainment, Digital Molecular Matter is a “system designed for high quality in-game destruction”. The firm explains that the system is able to produce “deformation-based fracture destruction that simulates the physical properties of any material using finite element analysis.”

“If a structure exists – big or small, dense or thin, floppy or rigid – DMM causes it to react in the same way as dictated by reality. For example, wood doesn’t simply break along a predetermined seam every time – rather, it bends and splinters into pieces from the point of impact. The same rules apply to any substance imaginable: rubber bends and snaps back into place. Glass shatters. Steel dents and bends. Plastic deforms,” it added.

The firm also notes that the system has been used “in over 20 feature films, commercials and even TV series,” which is interesting considering Remedy will be developing a TV series that’s releasing along with the game.

“DMM has played a key role in shaping Quantum Break, our vision of next-gen entertainment. We have been able to simulate complex scenarios on a scale that hasn’t been possible before and then allow players experience them in real time. Can’t wait to show the world more of what we’re able to do!,” said Mikko Uromo, tech team lead at Remedy Entertainment.

This follows this morning’s announcement that Remedy Entertainment will be using a 9-camera facial capture technique. Information is sparse on the shooter’s gameplay aspects, however we now know that you’ll be playing as both the villain and the hero in key points in the game.

Thanks, NeoGaf.

1. powerbuoy

Oh hell yes that sounds awesome! Hope more devs start focusing on physics with this new gen.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

Sounds very similar to the destruction engine Ready at Dawn has used in The Order: 1886. I saw it in action behind closed doors at gamescom, and it looked stunning.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Obernox

Cool :)

#3 8 months ago
  4. MFBB

#1 way bigger “problem” is still the incredible dumb KI in almost all games…

Single player games would benefit so much from smarter KI.

Currently playing Metro Last Light on PC and the enemies are so dumb, it really takes a lot of fun out of the game.

#4 8 months ago
  5. powerbuoy

@2 Awesome news :) I was planning on getting a PS4 first (if I get an X1 at all).

@4 Yes I agree, better AI (KI?) is needed as well.

I don’t understand why they don’t make a bigger deal of stuff like this (full destruction). Personally that’s the kind of thing that can get me to buy a game even if I don’t find it interesting at all besides the physics (Red Faction). Same thing with Killzone’s destructible environments, first I saw of it was like in the release trailer. I guess most consumers are more interested in shiny graphics.

#5 8 months ago
  6. TheBlackHole

What was The Order like? Is it looking like a proper 90+ system-seller?

People are talking about it a lot, but the lack of actual face-time the game has had makes me think it’s one of those ‘bark is better than its bite’ titles.

#6 8 months ago
  7. lolatfanboys

@4 What does a better KI matter for a Game? I don´t want better KI, as I don´t want to die all the time to perfect KI headshots, not thanks…What I would want is better path finding for KI and make me believe I earned my wins. I´m just not hardcore enough to fight against aim bots and the like

#7 8 months ago
  8. debug

It seems like KI is AI in german. Haha, classic mfbb.

#8 8 months ago
  9. debug

@7 Are you kidding? Better AI would mean less aimbots, au contraire.

#9 8 months ago
  10. MFBB

Yeah sorry, wrong language..brainfart :)
    KI künstliche Intelligenz = AI artificial intelligence

#7 like debug said, it would mean less aimbots.

Enemies would behave more like humans and make their own decisions.

Currently they only do exactly what the developer tell them to do and they react/behave the same (cause that is all they can do).

#10 8 months ago
  11. eaglerapida13

does knack support mma? :d

#11 8 months ago
  12. papizdano

pat i think you just spilled the beans on a new gameplay feature for the order :D

#12 8 months ago
  13. xxJPRACERxx

I played with DMM in Maya. It’s really powerful. The version in game will surely be a cut-down version since this is very calculation heavy.

#13 8 months ago
  14. lolatfanboys

@8 -9 why would a more “human” KI choose to die then and not headshot you all over the place? You know reaction time and all? Can you explain it to me maybe?

#14 8 months ago
  15. Lord God King

if this game is 720p Microsoft can suck ma dawg

#15 8 months ago
  16. FreeZZa

This game has me interested even more now! I’ve no idea what it is about, but it sounds very innovative and fresh.

#16 8 months ago