Xbox One UK launch “massive”, will “easily surpass” Xbox 360, says GAME boss

Friday, 22nd November 2013 05:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Xbox One launched at midnight in the UK, and retail chain GAME is more than happy with the results so far, according to one of its senior managers. Photos from official launch event through the break.

“Last night was incredible. You could almost taste the excitement – gamers had been waiting for Xbox One for over eight years and we saw a massive turnout at the midnight openings at more than 300 GAME stores across the UK,” chief digital officer Ian Chambers said in a statement sent to VG247.

“We’ve seen record pre-order numbers for the new generation consoles and looking at the initial response it’s clear that sales will easily surpass that delivered at the Xbox 360 launch. There is still huge demand and if you pre-order now we can still get your Xbox One to you in time for Christmas, so don’t miss out.

“The first of the new generation consoles has set the bar high and along with our customers we can’t wait to get to grips with everything the Xbox One has to offer.”

These lucky individuals were some of the first in Europe to get hold of the Xbox One, which at time of writing it still over two hours from launching on the West Coast.

Photo credit: Matt Alexander/PA Wire

1. DeVitowned

Am I terrible for wanting to teabag the woman from GAME? OK, yes, I am terrible.

Does the American console come with a footie game too, or is that for the rest of the world?

#1 8 months ago
  2. polygem

got mine too.

too much microsoft in this machine.

sadly we don’t share the same vision.

edit:

ms needs to stop this crap asap, seriously, they really kind of ruin gaming and it’s a shame that journos don’t criticise these weird trends so much more – and i am saying that as a halo fan and 360 enthusiast. i would have loved to buy the nextbox.

now bring it guys – my rant is over :)

#2 8 months ago
  3. viralshag

Waiting for mine to turn up… Can’t wait!

#3 8 months ago
  4. Joe Musashi

I hope everyone picking up their shiny new Xbox One consoles enjoy them and have a great day-1 experience.

Speaking as a long-time gamer: that new-console smell – there’s nothing quite like it :)

JM

#4 8 months ago
  5. Ekona

I love mine, it’s the exact experience I wanted from a next-gen (now current-gen?) console. Games look stunning, the Kinect is much better than I expected at voice controls, and having it control the TV and AVR is genius.

I was up until 3am last night on it, now I’m up again fiddling with settings and just snapping stuff for the hell of it. So far, for me, it’s worth every penny. No network issues either, which genuinely surprised me.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Dimaco

Nobody having anything to say about what Polygem mentioned??
    Either D1 “fever” or is it not that bad?
    Me, I can’t wait for next friday! ;-P

#6 8 months ago
  7. Djoenz

Microsoft is king at advertising and blowing out cash for promotions. Sadly a lot of people fall for it. A lot of people are quite misinformed. I explained it to a buddy of mine, but I never said he shouldnt buy one thats his choice. I just told him the facts.

#7 8 months ago
  8. DrDamn

Have fun everyone. One more week for me :(.

#8 8 months ago
  9. viralshag

MTs in full price games? Like GT6 you mean? That game for the PS4 that you’re so excited to get that’s probably going to go down the same route as MS.

Oh right, ok. Carry on then.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Pytox

@2 then you can buy more ps4 games with that :D

#10 8 months ago
  11. Zackslacky

@2 dude you knew what you were getting and still bought it? Why even bother. Ps games have micro transactions noe too. I cant wait to get mine today. Sorry yoy didnt enjoy. Maybe get a ps? Or trade your xbox too someone who will trade you a ps?

#11 8 months ago
  12. xXNapsterManXx

Still anooys me that when Game had its financial trouble Game Australia got shuttered when it was making profit and Game UK was not.

#12 8 months ago
  13. schnide

@Irani

Presumably you don’t buy from any US companies that outsource work to India and China, or send jobs overseas?

(Which, by the way, is virtually every large company on the planet).

The modern world is a globalised world. The kind of language you’re using sounds like you’re stuck in WWII.

Best you check the labels in your clothes, because they’re pretty much almost definitely not going to be made in the US. Burn them now, you traitorous filth!

#13 8 months ago
  14. Opalauge

@6:

What should anyone say about what he mentioned?

1. MT’s are part of games on consoles since Oblivion, and almost every AAA game of the last couple of years features this shit…and there is no end in sight.

2. He wrote:

“got mine too.

but i’ll return it today. the next guy on that preorder list will probably have more fun with it.”

and then:

“…i would have loved to buy the nextbox.”

very credible, isn’t it?!

#14 8 months ago
  15. polygem

@viral: i never was excited for any GT game ever. not my cup of tea. not into racing sims at all. i am talking about a trend that i don´t like. no matter the brand, game or platform.
    ms clearly are fighting on the front regarding these things though. they want to establish it and force it into the market no matter what. that´s pretty much clear to see. i don´t think anyone can really deny that.

@11:i knew of course what i will get – that´s why i haven´t even opened the box yet :) i will return it. like i said, i would have prefered to get an xbox as my main next gen gaming machine -and i was desperately hoping for more u-turns, so i could justify keeping it- in all honesty. i enjoyed the 360 so much more this gen. i didn´t cancel my x1 preorder yet because i haven´t decided which one to get (preordered ps4 too) until a week or so ago and even then i still couldn´t cancel the preorder because i was such a 360 guy this gen and thought: well wait, maybe you´ll regret it.
    i´m not the fanboy some brandloyalists on this page want to make me look like. it´s mainly projection. they think everyone rolls like they do.
    i always go to where i think the better deal and/or most fun is…it changes from gen to gen, even while a gen lasts. i´m not brandloyal at all. not even regarding nintendo. absolutely not. no matter what people say. i will end up having all the systems anyway at some point :)
    i might like what nintendo offers atm but that can change. i might prefer what sony does right now but it can change…it´s all in the flow.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

“i´m not the fanboy [that] some brandloyalists on this page want to make me look like..”

Hypocritical nonsense.

Everyone is responsible and accountable for what they say, the manner in which they say it and how they choose to act. Not anyone else.

Insisting others are responsible for how you are percieved is dishonest and childish. It is the equivalent of the criminal insisting the victim is responsible for the crime.

Aside from the misappropriation of accountability, the using of unflattering labels only further diminishes the credibility and worth of such a claim.

JM

Please note: I am not responsible for this comment. Some other guy is. If you have any issue with it, blame them not me.

#16 8 months ago
  17. viralshag

@15, I’m not sure why the type of game matters. You’re clearly calling out MS for MT’s in games and that’s affecting your decision about the console. When you’re happy to go with the PS4 that does the same thing.

“i buy the console (with a kinect that i don’t want), then the play and charge kit, i renew gold, buy ryse and crimson dragon only to find out that there still are ads everywhere on the dash and now i also have MT’s in those full price games as well.”

I’m not sure how you’ve come to this conclusion as you haven’t opened the box and going off Brenna’s interface walkthrough there isn’t an ad in sight, unless you count the “featured content” which in the future could range from games you don’t own, MS exclusives or even indies.

#17 8 months ago
  18. polygem

a letter to joe:
    i am responsible for every single word i write and say and i have never said anything else. you are fantasising about me again. i don´t know what it is joe, love? you try to sound clever all the time but you always end up with the wrong conclusions. that´s the drama of your whole internet character really.
    polygem

@viral: it´s the whole package. ms-wise it´s just too much to swallow for me, the combination of things that i don´t like (forced kinect, that prism thing, the drm thing, the mt´s, the ads, the pricing etc). while the sony box might not be perfect it still seems like the better deal to me (ps+, 100 euro cheaper etc.). it´s not about playstation being all awesome, it´s just less bullshit in my book. that´s all.

#18 8 months ago
  19. DrDamn

@Poly

So who’s impressions were these? If you’ve not opened the box then as Viral points out they aren’t yours.

#19 8 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

Like I said. Hypocrisy. But with an added dash of projection.

Denial and deflection will be arriving soon. Followed by lies and spin. Like the ineffectual heads of a particularly infantile hydra.

JM

#20 8 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@15 Don’t concern yourself with what other people on the Internet think of you, Poly. If someone doesn’t like it, don’t let it be any skin off your back. Let it slide off your back and it will disappear in a heartbeat.

It often blows my mind how invested people online get about other people’s opinions – mine included – to the point where they actually have to make a constant, dedicated issue out of it.

Speaking of which…

@16 You’re a far, far more interesting person to listen to when you’re not shoving your criticism of people down their throat, Joe. You singled out that post for absolutely no reason, and I think you know that. Why was it even remotely necessary?

#21 8 months ago
  22. Joe Musashi

I suspect my motives were not at all different than the ones that drove you to write the latter half of your comment above.

(I very much agree with your first sentence of #21. It’s very much in line with my remarks on tolerance. Hear hear, +1 and all that)

JM

#22 8 months ago
  23. Ireland Michael

Trying to be a mediator where I know I shouldn’t be and should have more common sense not to, but… *shrugs*

I just don’t understand why its necessary. When you’re discussing actual stuff here you’re one of the best commentators on the site. I’m trying to say this as person to person, not an attack. Everyone would much rather see that sort of stuff from you than needless jabbing at people.

#23 8 months ago
  24. polygem

@joe: your painting pictures again. They might look beautiful to you, maybe even to others but they still do not reflect the truth.

@doc: i am making a descission and i am pointing out my reasons for that descission. Thats all.
    I am not judging the x1. I believe it’ll be a great system…but not for me. Not yet.

@Mike: i know, i am dancing to the wrong tunes way too often :)

#24 8 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

Sorry Mike, it’s not me that’s responsible for what I said. Its the other guy. I’m blameless. Even when I’m blatantly lying.

Weee. Look at me.

JM

#25 8 months ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@24 Then just let it go. Every time you respond just give him another reason to.

@25 Joe… *cries*

#26 8 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

Yay! Joe!

The selective forum moderator!

Way to justify your existence!

Go back to talking about your love of SOTC. That was the first time you even showed a shred of character. Or, is the emotionless robot act easier for you to remain consistent with?

#27 8 months ago
  28. Ireland Michael

@27 Monkey, don’t, you know where this is going to go…

#28 8 months ago
  29. monkeygourmet

It’s called a superiority complex, duh?!

#29 8 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

In a dance as old as time, of course I know where this is going.

#30 8 months ago
  31. polygem

@19: i was on a mobile and in the metro. let me explain a little more: these aren’t impressions. i don’t want a kinect, mt’s are in these games, it doesn’t come with a play and charge kit. i don’t need to open the box to find that out :)

@joe#25:

“i am responsible for every single word i write and say and i have never said anything else.”
    polygem

…stop painting, start listening. wake up you cute little dreamer you.

it’s obvious who the “childish” “liar” (who never ever insults anyone btw…at least not in his own little wonderland) in this scenario is. it’s you joe, no matter how you spin it. again.

#31 8 months ago
  32. DrDamn

@Poly
    You are kinda shooting your opinion in the foot if you phrase it like that though. Did you even get one? I dunno because you have been contradicting yourself already. I thought you’d decided against one ages ago. I know you like to buy hardware, sell it, and buy it again later – but normally it’s hardware you wanted in the first place ;).

#32 8 months ago
  33. Joe Musashi

[Attenborough]

Ah, mistakenly smelling blood in the water the hammerhead shark joins the infantile hydra. Eager to feed off scraps.

Look at how it instinctively fills great voids of information with a nebulous substance emitted from a gland just under its thin skin.

Observe also, its inability to swim backwards, constantly having to propel itself forwards, ever forwards, even when all around is void.

Remarkable

But the truely noteworthy characteristic of this surprsingly ineffectual predator is to constantly go hunting in the same failed waters.

This behaviour can be attributed to the short attention span inherent in the beast, its countless misfires, blunders, wounds and failures conveniently forgotten, affording the prideful beast far more confidence than its track record genuinely permits.

So excessive are the levels of inept overconfidence, we often see the beast inappropriately assuming the alpha role in the environment. Attempting to govern and control the others it finds itself amongst, as if trying to limit permissable behaviour only to that which suits its current whim.

For observers, this behaviour makes the blundering, over-familiar shark a most entertaining beast. Sadly, with levels of self awareness entirely absent, it is completely unaware of the joke of which it finds itself the butt.

Fascinating

Join us next week when we peek into the lonely nocturnal life of the ‘furious’ breed of otter. A small mammal so famished for attention it frequently challenges other species to exchanges of firey banter.

[/Attenborough]

JM

#33 8 months ago
  34. Legendaryboss

Oh my! This got heated quick!

#34 8 months ago
  35. polygem

@doc, no, it’s here. if you want i can make a pic of it and post it here :)
    i could place a card on the x1 to prove it’s not googled. what do you want me to write on it?
    i cannot see any contradictions though. i am clearly explaining why i have chosen to stay with the ps4…at least for now.
    edit: i don’t know about the return policy in the us but i can return it within the next two weeks (just checked, 3 months! seriously) and will get my money back the next day. i just didn’t cancel my preorder because i wanted to pick up one of the next gen machines and really really hoped until the very last second for even more u-turns from ms. i really didn’t like the ps3 that much, so buying into ps4, comes with a bitter aftertaste. that’s why.

@33: *applauds*
    you are awesome honey…marvelous! the greatest!

#35 8 months ago
  36. monkeygourmet

@Joe

That’s almost uncanny.

I was going to do a mock ‘Attenborough’ style post on the forums the other day.

After reading your comment, I’m so glad I didn’t. I would have sounded like the massive twat you just made yourself out to be. :)

Good show!

#36 8 months ago
  37. Legendaryboss

Jolly good show chaps.

#37 8 months ago
  38. Joe Musashi

Dat 4 second memory.

JM

#38 8 months ago
  39. KineticCalvaria

@33, great impression but come on lads let’s make love, not war. God knows, we’ve seen too much war lately. -sobs-

#39 8 months ago
  40. Legendaryboss

You want love up in here?

:D

#40 8 months ago
  41. Ireland Michael

@36 You’re only making it worse.

#41 8 months ago
  42. monkeygourmet

@Joe

(Leaves bowl of troll food)

There you go, I’m off to play some Wind Waker HD. I may be gone for a good few hours but this should keep you from going hungry.

Don’t eat it too quickly now.

#42 8 months ago
  43. DrDamn

@Poly
    This bit …

It comes across as something you are saying you did – but then saying you haven’t opened the box means you didn’t. It’s just the way of phrasing it really. Anyone who doesn’t know you will not take your opinion seriously because it looks like you are exaggerating and telling porky pies. Just some friendly advice. :)

#43 8 months ago
  44. Djoenz

JM man come on havent you realised by now where ever Poly is Monkey is there and vice versa. They are the tagteam or tagbros.

Please do not become like LegendaryBoss that keeps harrassing Francis.

Yall are better than this.

#44 8 months ago
  45. Legendaryboss

Brace yourself “Tag-team” or “tag-bros” (????) comment incoming…

#45 8 months ago
  46. Djoenz

Haha you filthy ninja you!

#46 8 months ago
  47. polygem

@43: apologies if that caused confusion. i really meant it in third person…i thought you guys would know that i am hanging around here enough to exactly know about the package that i am buying ;)

good advice though :)

do you want the pic…i kinda want to do that now :)

#47 8 months ago
  48. Legendaryboss

Ninja Skills For the win ;)

#48 8 months ago
  49. TheBlackHole

“do you want the pic…i kinda want to do that now :)”

Write “Wuv, true Wuv” on it. Cos, y’know. Princess Bride.

#49 8 months ago
  50. Djoenz

I want to see your face next to it as well and Poly written with a marker in bold letters on your forehead!

You paid for both no wonder you’re broke.

#50 8 months ago
  51. polygem

no, i have to pay for the ps4 the day they ship it. i have the x1 returned by then and the credit card wont even be charged until the end of this month anyway. don’t worry. i planned all this in advance :)

wont write it on the forehead…

#51 8 months ago
  52. Djoenz

Aah I see, aaw that would be epic though on your forehead xD
    btw watched Ryse on twitch today and I have to tell ya its a helluva beauty just wow.

#52 8 months ago
  53. TheBlackHole

Yeah, Ryse is the shit. Not sure what all the bitching is about. It’s good fun. Simple, but fun.

Anyone with an interest in Roman history will get a kick out of the hokey story.

#53 8 months ago
  54. polygem

here you go…terrible quality though – sorry about that :)

#54 8 months ago
  55. Djoenz

Bravo bro respect for putting that up. :D

#55 8 months ago
  56. TheBlackHole

Love the Link figurine sneaking into shot.

#56 8 months ago
  57. polygem

@56: ha, you spotted that early :)

#57 8 months ago
  58. Djoenz

Ayo Poly I was trying to check again for the Link figurine which I cant see anywhere but I noticed I could see other pics of you. You might wanna change that?

EDIT:
    I have never bought a figurine not even from Final Fantay. I see it now. He is scoping the shit out of that pic I guess xD

#58 8 months ago
  59. polygem

i posted those two pics already in the posternerds thread. thank you for pointing that out but i made that photobucket account for vg247 pic sharing :)
    it´s ok.

canot see the link figurine? hint: it´s tiny…and green, green like xbox

#59 8 months ago
  60. polygem

haha

i have 3 figurines in total…not really a collector :)

#60 8 months ago
  61. DrDamn

@Poly
    You look just like your Mii :)

#61 8 months ago
  62. monkeygourmet

Excellent picture poly! Again, nice to see your ‘open’ attitude.

Enjoy your PS4, you nintendo fanboy, you!

#62 8 months ago
  63. absolutezero

My Xbone has been on since I opened the box and plugged it in.

I really like it. I played Zelda 3DS this morning. I played Tearaway last night (even with the creepy Teletubbies flash back of my face where the sun should be).

I love me some games. Dead Rising 3 is great, its Dead Rising but taken to an even further degree. It gets very very silly very very quickly and it caused guilty chuckles pretty damn fast.

Ryse I think has been un-fairly compared to a whole bunch of titles incorrectly, it feels like a combination of Assassin’s Creed and Batman to me, timing, defense and counter attacking. Its goofy as fuck and it really is gorgeous.

Killer Instinct is great. No really, its over the top, its fast, it flows really well, the inputs are tights theres no broken nonsense from what I can tell.

Crimson Dragon has been the only real let down so far game-wise, its ok but its still no Orta. It feels like a F2P from Korea, all about strange things appearing in your inventory that you don’t know what to do with. Packs to buy with Crystals, pay money for Crystals etc etc.

Negatives!

The pad feels slightly too small for my hands and I bloody loved the gamecube pad. The bumpers are proper shite. I think the idea behind them is you can hit them with the bottom of your index finger while not removing said finger from the triggers, which intially felt spongy but soon came into their own once they started vibrating.

You can’t install a disc while downloading a game, its one or the other, it takes about the same amount of time to install and disc to the playable stage as it does for a PS3 normal installation.

I can’t get my Surface or my phone to connect Smart Glass, which was a little disappointing and theres next to nothing support wise on the xbox website. Everything is as it should be but its just not connecting the two.

Never had a problem with a disc, a crash, any bugs and its been lighting fast in doing anything I asked it to. Live has been more or less flaw-less since I plugged it in aswell.

#63 8 months ago
  64. monkeygourmet

@AZ

Fantastic, thanks for that! :) good impressions from a trusted poster! ;)

#64 8 months ago
  65. Cort

A “record-breaking” launch but still nowhere near the top 25 on Amazon UK’s best sellers of 2013 list for video gaming. Ouch.

I suggest a price cut, Steve. A big price cut.

#65 8 months ago