Xbox One disc drive issues “affecting very small number” of users, MS to “take care” of customers

Friday, 22nd November 2013 17:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One users are reporting disc drive errors, although at present, it seems to be just a few cases; however, this could change as more consoles are hooked up over the weekend.

According to at least four videos posted on YouTube, the disc drives don’t work at all. Kotaku has posted the videos, and it’s not known at present how wide spread the issue is as of press time.

There is also a Reddit page linking to the videos here. Rab Florence is one.

There’s also some complaints posted on Amazon, but we’re unsure if they are connected to the YouTube posters.

Microsoft has told Kotaku its plans to “take care” of its customers and if there are any issues with the console, to contact customer service.

“We know that with a hardware launch of this magnitude customers will have questions and we have many avenues for customers to get the answers they need and get back in the game as soon as possible,” said a company representative. “Rest assured we plan to take care of our customers.

“Any customer who believes they are experiencing an issue with their Xbox One should reach out to us. There are many avenues available for customers to get in touch with us including: Talking to a live customer support person that can call you back if you don’t want to wait; Xbox.com for support pages and forums; On Twitter with @XboxSupport; and there are also Help and diagnostics on the console by saying “Xbox Help”.”

Eurogamer also received a more specific response to the issue: “The issue is affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers. We’re working directly with those affected to get a replacement console to them as soon as possible through our advance exchange program. Rest assured, we are taking care of our customers,” said a company representative.

IGN said one of its Xbox One consoles ran into the same issue today.

Some PS4 users also reported issues with the Sony console, and according to the firm, the lovely “blue light of death” issues affected just 1% of users. Xbox One launched today.

1. poisonfart

Another R.R.O.D.???

Rattling
    Rejecting
    Of
    Discs

#1 9 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I have not seen any hardware failure posts yet.

However, I have experienced disc drive errors with three Xbox 360 consoles. So I know the “noise” of which these people speak of.

But, it’s like Rob Fahey said: “No consumer product, be it a fridge, an oven, a washing machine, a phone, a computer or a games console, is exempt from failure” (http://goo.gl/LnNWY3).

#2 9 months ago
  3. Hcw87

Nowhere near the reports of the PS4 problems. The network seems stable aswell.

Smoothest launch award goes to XB1 for sure.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Djoenz

Even if it gets worse its no big deal at all. Ive heard of ppl that bought more than one Xbox360 after RROD fiasco and I mean not just replaced it.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Erthazus

Nowhere near? PS4 problems only started later. Xbox one issues will start popping up soon.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Hcw87

The reports started popping up before the launch of PS4.

#6 9 months ago
  7. FriendlyFiend

Well, as someone whose Xbox One BRD sounds like someone playing marbles with lumps of coal and point blank refuses to play anything, I can confirm that the disc problems are very real. Of course these things are to be expected with a new console but it’s always annoying when it happens to you. Maybe this is karmic payback for the fact my Xbox 360 never RRODed.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Djoenz

Such an invalid argument since 4000 consoles were given out to ppl so DUH!

@5 See above he has a point it was before the launch.

#8 9 months ago
  9. game_on

My Xbox 360 RROD’ed twice and one time I had another issue, something with the power supply. I guess if karma is true, then I’ll be fine with the Xbox One ;-)

#9 9 months ago
  10. DarkElfa

Xbox One disc drive issues being reported by a few PS4 owners to draw attention away…

#10 9 months ago
  11. Joe Musashi

Hcw87, you’re trying a little too hard.

Scale it back a tad.

JM

#11 9 months ago
  12. GK

x$hit was not even launch when problems started poping up in internet :) of course is nowhere near reports of PS4,PS4 sold over 1M,x$hit how many sold? 100k? and problems poping more and more and its not like you can fix youself like PS4.
    and even what we talking about when x$hit stealing PS4 footage and showed like they own :) pathetic x$hit not stealing just from people,but stealing and from others companies,bribe them.
    p.s. a lot of people wanted that PS4 dont succeed,and what we see? shelves full of x$hit and empty shelves of PS4 and still millions waiting :)
    so i have two words:Suck it!!!

#12 9 months ago
  13. Legendaryboss

@Erth
    That ship has sailed already.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Hcw87

Don’t need to try hard at all, i can’t seem to find any news about Xbox Live being down for maintenance or XB1′s bricking.

Help me out here, allknowing mighty one.

@GK
    You sound like you’re 12. And i mean that.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Djoenz

I just hate it when ppl make dumb presumptions on both sides when official figures are not even out yet.

And what if it turns for the worse? Will you swallow your words then?

#15 9 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

Nope. Still trying too hard. Still a bit transparent. Give it another go, champ. You can do it.

JM

#16 9 months ago
  17. Legendaryboss

Both consoles have their fair share of problems as expected…
    Dashboard problems (easily fixable) http://www.xboxer360.com/news/xbox-one-problems-dashboard-tiles-not-loading/

Forums: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269.aspx?PageIndex=1&forumoptions=::11::&Sort=Active
    PS4 has already been covered.

#17 9 months ago
  18. OlderGamer

There is a bit on it on the xbox forums too. Too early to know much of anything yet in terms of numbers. It just launched.

Yup, LB beat me to it.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Mandrid

Is there any X1 stock left to buy in the shops or has it all sold out ?

#19 9 months ago
  20. fearmonkey

Yikes, this sucks….

I feel for anyone that gets a new console and is so excited about it and it doesnt work :(.

Xbox Fanboys cheered when the PS4 had issues and now it’s Xbox’s turn, noone wins in this, I don’t know why anyone would celebrate it. I hope this turns out to be a small percentage but I am guessing not, only because I have seen at least 7 youtube vids already with the same issues, all from different users.

Neogaf mentioned that the Xbox One might have a lite on drive, not a fan of them, hope thats not the case.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Djoenz

Depends on where you live but several stores has stock. vg247 has some articles here about that. Check the older threads etc.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Rockstar Vienna

@20 Totally agree!

#22 9 months ago
  23. Hell-Raiser-85

RajmanGamingHD Green Screen of Death

#23 9 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

Verified that Xbox One uses a Lite on drive :(
    Model – DG-6m1S-01B

I have never been a fan of their quality, I know MS loves them though as they are cheap. The 360 used them later in it’s life but it started on Samsung and Toshiba drives which I think were better quality. They improved since Phillips bought them but never loved them.

Regarding PS4, no marking I have seen on drive, probably Sony made, not a retail drive.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Spider Law

Nice try fanboy/troll.
    Both had their share of failures. Both also had a solid launch that they both could be proud of.

+Live was down, but MS fixed it…just like Sony did.

Kudos on trying though.

#25 9 months ago
  26. Animeboy413

Lol

#26 9 months ago
  27. Hcw87

Yes, it was down for a while before the console launched globally.

When it did launch globally though, there was no reports of maintenance/downtimes or firmware issues. Which means it obviously could handle the load.

PSN had problems when it launched in the US alone, imagine if it was a global launch.

Not hating on the console, i’m hating on the network. Paying a subscription only for the network to have maintenance for several hours during launch times should be a thing of the past.

#27 9 months ago
  28. Joe Musashi

Damn. He nearly made it that time. So close.

Try again.

JM

#28 9 months ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

You’re trying just a liiiiiiiiittle bit too hard, there, JM.

Have a break. Have a Kit Kat.

#29 9 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

^

Don’t worry. JM’s having the monthly wig out…

Standard.

#30 9 months ago
  31. Joe Musashi

Aw bless. Power Rangers have turned up to deflect attention.

JM

#31 9 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

LOL! :P

#32 9 months ago
  33. Djoenz

Hcw and Giga are biased anyway. I cant take both seriously.

LB pass the popcorn bro you filthy ninja! Freaking muncher eatin my share!

#33 9 months ago
  34. Beta

Here we go again :’)

#34 9 months ago
  35. Legendaryboss

Might as well: There was problems with the firmware update for some people http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/11/22/microsoft-offers-solution-to-xbox-one-error-there-was-a-problem-with-the-update

I have no popcorn, i must hunt around for an alternative.

#35 9 months ago
  36. Legendaryboss

Again i should note both consoles have their problems just because you can’t see it doesn’t mean its not there.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Hcw87

Holy shit, so defensive.

Again, NOT HATING ON THE CONSOLE, HATING ON THE SERVICE. If it’s one thing i despise it’s maintenance on shit i pay for. MMO’s, consoles, you name it.

It’s so funny seeing this Joe Musashi (american asian?) pop out from nowhere whenever someone mentions anything pro-MS or anti-Sony.

#37 9 months ago
  38. Djoenz

LB my man havent you heard Microsoft is immune to such failures.
    Their 300. 000 servers on the other hand seems to give them the upperhand.No popcorn. seriously dude? ?

Hypocrite much?

#38 9 months ago
  39. Joe Musashi

Oh my. Just.. wow.

10 points deducted from Gryffindor.

JM

#39 9 months ago
  40. monkeygourmet

Aw bless = passive aggressive

Power Rangers have turned up to deflect attention = attempt at making people ‘self aware’, all the while ignoring similar factors in the PS4 launch….

Massive twat detected…

#40 9 months ago
  41. Legendaryboss

And we have lift off.

#41 9 months ago
  42. Beta

Anybody going to dig up a FB page?

#42 9 months ago
  43. Hcw87

When have i ever been a hypocrite?

Sony has a shit network, Microsoft has shitty Kinect. Oh, and i’m not too impressed by XB1 not having headset support at launch either.

My god i’m such a MS fanboy.

#43 9 months ago
  44. Joe Musashi

@41 Now, you see Legendaryboss, if you had said nothing I could simply interpret your absence of comment in whatever way my painfully transparent personal agenda dictated.

Now you’ve gone and spoiled it. :(

JM

#44 9 months ago
  45. Djoenz

Aaw shit haha.

You always comment pro Xbox/Microsoft and try to bash Sony/Playstation.

#45 9 months ago
  46. Ireland Michael

And they’re still at it…

*goes back to Lego Marvel*

#46 9 months ago
  47. zoopdeloop

@37 a network problem which was solved within half an hour.wow unacceptable.
    when it comes to every electronic device, network services and providers there will always be issues.

@43 that’s trolling bias bullshit.Sony doesn’t have shit network and last time i heard it gets better.
    get a grip seriously

#47 9 months ago
  48. sebastien rivas

I believ . MS understood their mistake with 360 rrod.
    Xb1 is completely new just like ps4 and a ride without a bump is always welcome of course but really unexpected.

#48 9 months ago
  49. freedoms_stain

#49 9 months ago
  50. Legendaryboss

Motherfucker ;) I hate rick rolls!

#50 9 months ago
  51. Djoenz

You just been Karma-nised. :D Im bored. . . :(
    Im out of popcorn.

#51 9 months ago
  52. Stephany Nunneley

MS has responded to drive errors. Posted updated.

#52 9 months ago
  53. fearmonkey

@hcw87 – You need to play Shinobi, JM is the main character.

#53 9 months ago
  54. Omari

I am one of the Amazon reviewers with a broken XB1. They are getting a new one out to me tomorrow but this still sucks. I ordered a Day One edition my replacement is standard.

#54 9 months ago
  55. Cort

“There’s also a couple complaints posted on Amazon”

You might want to update that too.

#55 9 months ago
  56. Djoenz

Whats the difference between a day1 and standard edition besides free Fifa 14 in Europe?

#56 9 months ago
  57. Cort

Now this will absolutely terrify MS. I don’t need to explain why.

#57 9 months ago
  58. Dragon

Both launches have a had a fair share of problems, that is expected. I wonder why some people are trying to project one launch is better than another based on anecdotal evidence.

Btw, see this-

Does it ring a bell? Same as Sony launch, just less number of reviews.

In any case, both consoles are well within their warranty period and both Sony and MS have put a commendable response towards these small inevitable launch hiccups. Best thing is that unlike last generation, there seems no problems regarding overheating.

___________________________________

Some good reading-

How the most prolific posters on those pages changed their stance just on replacing the company….

#58 9 months ago
  59. G1GAHURTZ

^ Well said.

#59 9 months ago
  60. Dragon

@59,
    I added some more links, well worth reading ;)

#60 9 months ago
  61. Djoenz

Over 1 million XboxOne’s sold on launchday. worldwide.

#61 9 months ago
  62. Darkfield

EDIT: Oh never mind seen it was posted in the main entry

#62 9 months ago
  63. G1GAHURTZ

@60:

For real.

It’s the bizarre psychology of fanboyism…

A freakish concoction of undeserved admiration, schadenfreude, fanaticism and idiocy all rolled into one.

#63 9 months ago
  64. Dragon

^ http://visionwellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/thumbs-up.jpg

#64 9 months ago
  65. Tommeh

I uploaded a video on my Youtube of how I fixed this issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCwocbkXw2I

#65 9 months ago
  66. Phat

My sincere advice is that you buy a Xbox One, not even a PS4. Why? You can see here: http://lovingtheclassicsreviewsite.net/trend/the-5-best-reasons-for-purchasing-the-xbox-one-instead-of-a-ps4/

#66 9 months ago
  67. G1GAHURTZ

@65:

Ha!

That’s so bizarre!

I wonder if that’s a long term fix, though…

#67 9 months ago
  68. zoopdeloop

@66 You made one pathetic analysis there while desperately asking for comments.Even Microsoft refuse to send you a pay check for that

#68 9 months ago
  69. Cort

“Wow, the PS fanbois have changed their tune in the last 24 hours!”

Problem with this complaint is you can substitute “XBox” for PS” and be equally correct.

#69 9 months ago
  70. Stephany Nunneley

….and the post has been updated once again with a comment handed to Eurogamer.

#70 9 months ago
  71. TommoBedhair

My Xbox One just failed on me – what Microsoft failed to bloody mention in the above quotes is that to be in the advanced exchange program they freeze £600 on your credit card! After paying £450 for a console, it takes the piss!

#71 9 months ago
  72. Vylsith

Define “very small number” Microsoft. From Amazon reviews it appears to be slightly more than PS4 failure rates. Granted that still isn’t an overly big deal given that it’s still around the 1% mark, but you aren’t doing yourselves any favors by being vague about the number of people who are having the problem. Just come out and admit how big the problem is. One of these days Microsoft is gonna have to try this honesty thing.

#72 9 months ago
  73. Animeboy413

Most of the Amazon reviews are unverified come from PS4 Trolls

#73 9 months ago
  74. DrDamn

Same as with the PS4 reviews. However 3 games sites have the X1 issue now (IGN, Polygon and Gamesradar). So like the PS4 problems it looks like there is something to them, be it a bad batch or whatever.

#74 9 months ago
  75. monkeygourmet

Are you confident about next thrus/fri?! ;)

#75 9 months ago
  76. DrDamn

Doesn’t really matter. Get a duff unit you get it replaced. Even after a year you still have decent rights in the EU if a manufacturing or design fault is found. There are indications the European units are made in Japan too – which is interesting. May not have the same issues, may have a load of new ones :)

#76 9 months ago
  77. monkeygourmet

God speed! :)

Sure it’ll be cool beans!

#77 9 months ago
  78. wildxrobby123

I am one of the Xbox one users affected by the disk drive failures, but it didn’t happen until a day ago. I was able to play battlefield 4 and dead rising 3(boring) before it breaking whenever I tried downloading my call of duty ghosts game. I was kinda in disbelief bc I didn’t know if it was my game or my Xbox but I cleared everything off my Xbox and tried redownloading my bf4 and it did not work, so I knew I had a bigger problem. On the other hand xbox has given me a free code for Forza 5 so I can continue playing my Xbox until my new one gets here. It will be here in 2 days right before thanksgiving and that’s pretty good for me. They gave me like 5 choices of games and I was gonna get this one anyway, saves me 65 dollars so yeah. Anyway after playing on my Xbox one for a good two days I would never change gaming stations, I love everything about this Xbox, the apps and the menu button and etc, everything is quick and smooth. Couldn’t put my controller down until 9 in the morning(all nighter) the controller is just the best thing ever, just sits in your hands! I’m still a happy customer, things like this happen all the time.

#78 9 months ago
  79. surender

I am also a Xbox user who facing it’s problem. But i hope from Microsoft to reduce that problem as much as possible.. Read more on Xbox One disc drive issues
    Thanks Microsoft.