Xbox One: all online services restored, root cause under investigation

Friday, 22nd November 2013 00:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has issued a statement regarding the intermittent Xbox Live outages reported on the eve of the console’s launch.

UPDATE: In a statement provided to GamesIndustry, Microsoft acknowledged the down time and affirmed service has been restored, but said the cause is still being pinned down.

“Microsoft can confirm that all online services have been restored. We are investigating the root cause of the disruption and will continue to keep customers updated as information becomes available,” a represnetative said.

OORIGINAL STORY: Xbox Live is reportedly having intermittent issues this evening – unsurprisingly – with Microsoft confirming that various Xbox One websites are out of action, at the very least.
Users around the world have complained of sporadic connectivity problems, with reports that Live itself was completely down at one point.

Microsoft hasn’t made any comment on that, but at time of writing the Xbox Live service status page shows that Xbox One websites are out of action.

Some interruption is to be expected as the console’s launch rolls across the world; in addition to one hell of a stress test as everyone gets their new boxes home and switches them on, Microsoft is likely making last minute adjustments and updates as well as implementing fixes for any new issues that arise.

Xbox One is now available in the UK, as well as all launch territories in earlier timezones, including Australia and New Zealand. Expect it on the East Coast in just over four hours and on the West Coast in about seven; that’s when we’ll really start to see the strain Microsoft’s new cloud servers and data centres.

Here’s everything you need to know about the Xbox One launch.

1. Hcw87

Works fine for me, was down for 30 min to an hour earlier though.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Djoenz

I bet you are snapping IE right as we speak?
    Well lets see where this heading to in a few hours.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Erthazus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UP_YbGa26m8 – look at this crazy launch.

Sony just ordered one shitty old Hotel in New York while MS launched in the center of NY with cars, zombies, Cars that resembles Forza 5 cars and they are racing in the center… Fire show and stuff.

Jesus came to New York. Microsoft is full of cash.

#3 9 months ago
  4. TrickyAudio

Maybe they should of spent the money on some better 1st party launch games

#4 9 months ago
  5. ActionGameKing

I hope the servers work, or it would be shitstorm mania.

#5 9 months ago
  6. DuckNation

So it Begins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOPcMT5DHWY

#6 9 months ago
  7. Gekidami

So that was the power of 300,000 servers, huh ; The service still went down.

One guy must be awkwardly clearing his throat and shuffling toward the exit, hoping no one notices him right now.

#7 9 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

You really think it’s that easy?

#8 9 months ago
  9. Gekidami

^ That easy to make you eat crow? Yes, i think its pretty easy.

#9 9 months ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

What I really like is the way my fan club always thinks about me…

You guys are so dependable.

#10 9 months ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

Fair enough. XBL went down for a while, but so did all MS services apparently.

I could go ‘on the defensive’, and blame this on a DDoS attack like many others are suggesting.

But I’m not that bothered… I’m especially not that interested in defending MS, unlike my little fan club thinks. Besides, MS have already said that they’re “immune” to such things.

So yeah, even 300,000 servers couldn’t help the X1 launch go perfectly, and I was a unnecessarily harsh on the PS4 launch.

#11 9 months ago
  12. bobnice

@ #4

They’re certainly better than Sony’s exclusive launch games. Trust me I have killzone and knack (for my daughter).

#12 9 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

@12 what happens in the long run though?

#13 9 months ago
  14. DrDamn

“Cars that resembles Forza 5 cars”

Ah, ummm … nah I won’t bother.

#14 9 months ago