PS4 and PS Vita bundle confirmed, dropping before Xmas

Friday, 22nd November 2013 11:44 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 and PS Vita will be sold together as an ‘Ultimate Bundle’ in time for Christmas, Sony has confirmed.

UPDATE:

It’s real, here’s a tweet of the bundle packaging from Videogamer’s Dave Scammel:

ORIGINAL STORY: The news follows confirmation of this Tearaway PS Vita bundle for Europe.

It comes from an MCV report, which states that Sony’s handheld will also receive a £2.5 million marketing campaign.

A new advert titled, ‘The Best Way to Play’ will highlight the PS Vita’s connectivity with PS4, along with Media Molecule’s release Tearaway.

In a statement to the site, Sony’s senior product manager Ben Law said, “We’re really excited for Vita as we move into Christmas. We’ve got a great campaign with key messaging around new releases like Tearaway, the ever-growing game catalogue and the Remote Play service.”

So, the bundle is happening. Tempted?

1. Pytox

OMG , now I dont know if i should change to that or get ps4 now :p

#1 1 year ago
  2. Pytox

oops double comment xD

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

As long as the price is reasonable.

I hate it when they do ‘bundles’ with no discount…

#3 1 year ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

Obligatory: http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/shut-up-money.gif

#4 1 year ago
  5. fengato

Sold my original Vita a while back, though just picked up the new killzone bundle on the cheap this week in order to get ready for PS4 launch (just over 100 pounds with Mercs). I wonder how the bundle will be priced.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

And retailers actually apply the discount too. /glares at ShopTo.

#6 1 year ago
  7. xBASSxMONSTAx

Price it at the same price as the Xbone and your onto a winner.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Koncept6454

I knew this would come eventually, and if the price is right then I’m sure consumers will throw their money at Sony, say around the £429 Mark?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon

BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU !

#9 1 year ago
  10. fengato

Ah, pic update. Wonder what that memory card size is.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phat

My sincere advice is you should buy a PS4 now. Why? You can see here: http://lovingtheclassicsreviewsite.net/trend/6-reasons-why-you-ought-to-buy-a-ps4/

#11 1 year ago
  12. DeVitowned

Just imagine remote playing every PS4 game on your Vita. Seeing as Europe gets all the damn good bundles, I doubt we will see it in the states

Also, will it be OLED/3G Vita or LCD/Wifi Vita?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dragon

Scweeeet byndle :D Pricing will be the greatest factor though. If its priced in 30 euro range of X1 (which shouldn’t be too difficult), Vita may get some much needed help.

Kinect 2 vs. Vita? Vita for me.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gama_888

im on the edge of buying a vita.

should i wait a little longer to see how this bundle turns out or just get one now??

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dragon

@14,
    Your wish. If you arent very desperate, I say wait to see how this bundle is priced and then decide on the best deal, especially if you also want a PS4.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Obernox

If it’s $500…. holy shit.

#16 1 year ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

@14 I wouldn’t say there’s much harm in waiting, especially as you never know how the discount will stack up. Having said that, if you’re not too sniffy about such things I’d entertain the idea of a pre-owned console. I bought a second-hand Vita off eBay for £130 (with a 4GB Memory Card) about 9 months ago and it’s always worked like a dream. GAME are selling them pre-owned for £100 now though – bargain.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Gama_888

I do definately want them both, but im assuming this bundle will be atleast £450, that i could probably get for xmas.

Or i could just buy a vita now
    this is seriously calling out to me

#18 1 year ago
  19. NeoSquall

Even though the old vita/new vita included doubt expressed by @12 is legit, HOLY SHIT I want this bundle!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Animeboy413

lol

#20 1 year ago
  21. Ireland Michael

If it’s the new Vita, you’re honestly getting screwed over – the new screen is honestly garbage compared to the old one.

I think the new Vita and the 2DS are probably the first times I’ve ever seen new hardware iterations end up *worse* than their earlier counterparts. It would be like releasing the original DS after the DS Lite.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Fin

Doubt it, there’s been no mention of its release outside Japan.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@22 I had assumed the LCD screen Vita was going to simply replace the existing one. This isn’t the case?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Christopher Jack

@21, Even the original was beaten by similar devices before it landed.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@24 What?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Obernox

@ Michael

Not really a HUGE difference. http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/12/photo-comparison-of-oled-vita-screen-and-the-new-lcd-emerges/

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dragon

@21,
    “new screen is honestly garbage compared to the old one.”
    Isn’t that an exaggeration? From all the comparison videos, its clear that OLED is better, but the LCD one holds rather well, some yellowish tint is probably a bit annoying, but nothing major.

Also, new users may well prefer new model, just like in Japan where new model is selling much more than older one (sales really dipped of the old one there after new model was announced and OLED model was put on very cheap sale to clear out stock).
    New model has 1GB internal memory + better battery life + easier replacement of internal battery + no proprietary cable (micro usb in new model)+ slimmer and lighter. To be fair, the only con is the LCD, but the pros are so many.

#27 1 year ago
  28. monkeygourmet

Personally, the best feature (and the most commented one when I’ve handed my console to friends) is the screen.

The Vita needs the OLED. It’s impact is immediate and obvious. It’s supposed to be a high end bit of tech, losing the screen is like cutting its balls off.

The 2DS gets away with it more because it’s aimed more as a toy and for younger players.

If this bundle is the LCD screen version, don’t bother. Just buy a PS4 and a Vita OLED seperatly.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Legendaryboss

Oh perfect while Sony continues to palm off PS Vita as a accessory, lets looks at the possible problems.

1. It does not need to be a accessory to another platform to sell well.

2. PS Vita should be able to be sold and marketed on its own merits (Games, Apps, PS Plus etc etc): not as an accessory to another system.

3. Is it a companion app? Is it a dedicated handheld? Is it a indie handheld? Is It a handheld to play big console quality games?

4. If successful lack of native games.

Just to be positive at least this isn’t taking effect instantly “We’ve got a great campaign with key messaging around new releases like Tearaway, the ever-growing game catalogue”.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Sini

I love vita OLED, compare it to the screen on flop u gamepad, day and night difference. Watch youtube nintendo game trailers and have your mind blown what these games would look like if nintendo didnt fail at hardware.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Ireland Michael

@27 The pictures don’t make it look like a big difference, but seeing them run beside each other is like night and day. Personally I think the new screen is horrible. The colours are so muted and dull. It’s made even my PSP and PS1 games look immensely more vibrant.

I don’t find the pros to be a big deal. You’re going to need a memory card anyway if a PS+ account interests you, and the cable that comes with it is fine as it is. Battery lives stopped being a concern for me with the advent of charging cables. I’m never out with the device long enough for me not to be able to recharge it at some point. For people on long journeys, I can certainly see the benefit though.

I could never go back from the old screen though. It really is amazing to look at.

@29 Yes, it *should* be able to sell on its own merits. But it isn’t. The third party support simply isn’t there. Without that, any format is going to lag behind.

#31 1 year ago
  32. eloix

Thought I’d like to wait a little longer to get a PS4… but this… this … this is so tempting.

#32 1 year ago