Pokémon X & Y moves over 2 million units in US, contributes to 135% increase in 3DS sales

Friday, 22nd November 2013 15:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo has announced that Pokémon X & Y has sold over 2 million units in the US and contributed to a 135% uptick in sales for the 3DS family of systems. The firm also said it was the fastest Pokémon in the region to hit 1 million units, and 1 in 5 3DS owners have purchased one of the titles. You can look over the infographic below. Nintendo announced back in October that Pokémon X & Y moved over 4 million units worldwide in two days and during October, the game landed at number 2 and 3 on the NPD charts.

1. marcus6291

Imagine what Pokemon could do for the wii u if they released a proper Pokemon game for it

#1 10 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Imagine if Nintendo released an actually new game.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

X? A dig at Ninty? Brace yourself there be a shitstorm a brewin’

#3 10 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

Seriously, this is something I’ll never understand about Nintendo Fanboys, they are the first to cry out for innovation, yet are the first in line to buy the same game every year.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 The only titles I can think of that Nintendo release yearly right now are rehashes of the New Super Mario formula, and the main Pokemon titles.

If a game uses the same characters but an entirely different genre and completely different gameplay, that doesn’t really make it the same game over and over again, does it?

#5 10 months ago
  6. OlderGamer

Mike +1

#6 10 months ago
  7. YoungZer0

I wouldn’t say any of their games have completely different gameplay. Zelda games for examples are always very, very similar in progression and gameplay. I’m just tired of these old ass franchises. They are like Ubisoft that can’t let go of the AC brand and just keep stuffing the franchise with shit that does not belong into a game about assassins.

Create a new franchise. Is that too much to ask?

#7 10 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

Is X going over your head?

#8 10 months ago
  9. Djoenz

What grown man that played the first pokemon would still play this overrated trash till this day.

Rehash of pokemonsters, no story basically and I dont even know if Ashe is still the main protagonist cause I swear he should have been a pokemaster by now.

#9 10 months ago
  10. OlderGamer

Same could be said of a lot of franchises tho couldn’t it YoungZ?

If we only played new IPs, we wouldn’t have nearly as much to play.

You couldn’t make a Mario Kart game w/o racing? What would a Zelda game be without a sword/shield/gadgets? Or a Halo game w/o guns? Or an Uncharted game w/o Drake? What is so different from a Mario/Sonic/LBP/Knack/countless others of the same ilk? A platformer is a platformer. A racer a racer. And a shooter is a shooter. Inovations goes way beyond just the name of the IP.

The trick is to give fans what they crave and like while also staying fresh. Some games do a better job then others. I feel Nintendo has done a very good job at that over the years. Like Mike said, Pokémon is pretty much the same. But that happens. It also happens to be that a lot of gamers enjoy it for what it is.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@7 Zelda certainly has similar progression, but the shift from 2D games to 3D games is pretty drastic, and the mechanics between something like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword are also completely different from each other. I do agree that they really should try something new there, but the whole adventure thing is kinda his thing, right?

Something like Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario are also drastically different titles. Mario may appear in a lot of titles, but they’re often completely different games. Other franchises take breaks for years too, and have had numerous different takes – Metroid for example.

You’re focusing too much on the characters and not near enough on the games themselves. Some of Nintendo’s franchises have seen less iterations in 20 years than some current franchises have in a single generation.

I’d love to see something completely new, I won’t lie, but the quality of what they have with the existing roster of characters is so high so often that at the same time I really don’t care.

@9 I would.

Ash was never the main character. He only existed in the anime.

Pokemon now is also a drastically different game than it was back in the beginning, however it might look on the surface. There are so many other mechanics at play in those games now it a little overwhelming – competively, it’s about as hardcore an RPG as you can get.

#11 10 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

A good franchise knows when it should change or end. Nintendo never understood that.

@11: “Pokemon now is also a drastically different game than it was back in the beginning, however it might look on the surface.”

Sure. Like Call of Duty games are also drastically different games.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Djoenz

Hold on, as hardcore as an rpg? How?

#13 10 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 Except they’re not.

IV’s, EV’s, breeding, happiness, genders, day and night cycles, different battle types, natures, berries, new type match ups, special attacks vs physical attacks, etc. etc.

They have been so many changes and addition to the core mechanics of Pokemon since it’s inception that the gameplay is almost completely indistinguishable from the originals on anything more than a cursory glance.

@13 See above.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Djoenz

Well you want to know what a rpg is in my book. A roleplaying game where you play a role with the protagonist and really get involved in his/her development throughout the game.

Emphasis on collecting numerous pokemon. Its never really about the protagonist. . the only thing he wants is to be the greatest of them all. Antagonists put it cause you know there have to be evil guys.
    They always release two opposite games just to force you to buy two or exchange pokemon with a buddy.

The endings from what Ive heard has no meaning at all. You just beaten all gyms well woopty doo now lets collect all pokemon and then what.

Its a completely waste of time imo. They keep adding 150 pokemon etc. . . boring. It has rpg elements but imo its not a true rpg by any means. .

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 The definition of an RPG is pretty diverse, and encompasses many different elements.

If you’re looking for an engaging story with deep character development and elaborate plots, then this obviously isn’t the franchise for you, but for other people, tonnes of number based gameplay mechanics are what define an RPG, and Pokemon certainly satisfies that inch for a lot of people.

#16 10 months ago
  17. yeoung

@2:

Nintendo make “legacy” games. I grew up playing Mario and Zelda games, and there’s a good chance my kids will grow up playing Mario games too. And Zelda. And Donkey Kong.

If it is too hard to maintain some child like wonder when it comes to games, maybe Mario just isn’t for you. Besides, the Mario (bros.) series has had radical design changes between iterations and across platforms as well q.e.d Sunshine, Galaxy, SMW, SMBII, M64, MRPG, Party, Kart, Tennis, Football, etc. etc.

Nintendo’s continually prosperous and well reviewed franchises are nothing short of a sign that these games stand the test of time. Truly ubiquitous with gaming itself.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Djoenz

Well turned based elements with just 4 attacks you mean? I admit you have to switch pokemons for different types and it has strategy elements, but to me its just facade. Its just a polished collecting game.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Francis O

Seriously, Nintendo should make new games like Knack and Ryse Son of Rome. Because New IPs are always great games…..

#19 10 months ago
  20. Djoenz

You are missing the point completely these are the oldest freaking franchises in the industry.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Legendaryboss

Well you can’t say i didn’t warn ya @3.

#21 10 months ago
  22. OlderGamer

DJ man, all you did was say that Pokémon isn’t for you. NP, I don’t play it either. But I know a lot of adults that do. It is a game that crosses generations. Lots of RPGs have the collect em all mechanic.

When I sit down to an RPG I enjoy Diablo III, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Rift, Wow, EQ and so on. But fav all time RPG franchise is Phantasy Star. I have my eyes on Ragnorok ACE coming out for PS3. Lots of different stuff. But I think everyone prolly has their own take on what defines an RPG experience.

All you have done is defined that Pokémon isn’t the type of rpg you enjoy.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Djoenz

So you qualify it as a rpg as well?
    Maybe Im too stubborn then sigh.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Ireland Michael

@23 It fits every definition of an RPG.

You might not consider it a *good* RPG, but it is still an RPG.

Stubborn is definitely a word I would use to describe you. =P

#24 10 months ago
  25. OlderGamer

Yea, I would say Pokémon is an rpg.

Just a semi basic one compared to some of the other offerings that have come and gone in the market. But I think that basic approach has allowed it to maintain the type of pick up and playabilty that makes a great handheld game. It has charm. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Djoenz

Sorry Michael I have to agree with OlderGamer on this one :P

#26 10 months ago
  27. TheWulf

It’s definitely the same game, but it’s one of the few only genuinely interesting iterations of it. Emerald I stuck with thanks to codes which allowed me to do specific EV training with little effort, and boosted the levelling speed. It was a nice game, but it had plenty of flaws. It pandered way, way too much to the grinding crowd.

The DS versions were awful by comparison, mostly due to the limitations of the machine. They just looked so much worse than Emerald, so I never really got into them. That the sprite resolutions of the 2D characters in the DS versions were lower res than the GBA? That was just insult to injury. Plus, it felt like the DS had a more limited colour palette, so it lacked the prior vibrance.

At that point, I figured I was done with Pokemon.

Then X/Y happened. I was intrigued, pleased even, that they’d returned to the prior vibrance of Pokemon games. There was colour everywhere, and I appreciate that. That was enough to catch my interest, but not hold it. Why? There’s no Action Replay for the 3DS, so whilst I thought the aesthetics were rad, I wasn’t 100 per cent sure it was for me. I was excited, but I had my doubts. Was this going to be another Pokemon I’d be buying and then returning to the shop the next day? (Like Black/White?)

Then the important information started leaking out, like Special Training for the handling of EVs. That was enough to tempt me into a preorder, since if I wouldn’t have to deal with EVs, then maybe the grind wouldn’t be so bad.

And when I got the game? Well… look at that! The levelling went twice as fast, and three times so once I’d maxed out affection in Amie. What was going on, here? This didn’t feel like the soul-sucking efforts that Nintendo usually puts out! I mean, before, I couldn’t play Pokemon without the use of a cheat device to make it enjoyable, but now?

So I’d say that X/Y is the first Pokemon game I’ve enjoyed without tinkering with it. It has the vibrance of Emerald, and the levelling speed and ease of EV gain of an Action Replay.

For me, that makes it the first successful Pokemon.

This is the first instance where I’d say ‘this is a good Pokemon game,’ without caveats like ‘if you have an Action Replay.’

So I’m actually glad Nintendo has been iterating. With Emerald, I saw what all the fuss was about, but I lost that connection with the DS games (which, in my opinion, were failures). With X/Y, it’s like Emerald again but it doesn’t need the crutch of an Action Replay.

If not for the iteration, it would never have gotten here. I think that the end result of X/Y was worth it — in my opinion.

#27 10 months ago