Xbox One going in “completely wrong direction,” says Ninja Theory co-founder

Thursday, 21st November 2013 11:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s onus on entertainment is completely the wrong direction, according to Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades. He reckons Microsot, Sony and Nintendo could learn a lot from mobile, and that Steam Machines are getting it right.

The DmC: Devil May Cry design lead held a talk at the Slush conference in Helsinki. Reporting from the show, Edge noted Antoniades as saying, “So you heard the XBox One announcement? TV, TV, TV. That couldn’t be further from the truth, it’s completely the wrong direction. It does seem like, despite the best intentions of Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, they’ve still got too much momentum to steer.”

“One platform that does seem to be going in the right direction is the Steam Box. It’s an open development platform, fully digital and a media server, will doubtless integrate with mobile and tablets, and includes all the flexible pricing included from Steam. If I was to make a bet, I’d say that the Steam Box has the capacity to disrupt before mobile does. There are still technical limitations on mobile – bandwidth for streaming, processing and battery power that will just hold it back for a few years. After a few years, I fully expect mobile devices to be the dominant form.”

“It’s not all doom and gloom for consoles. If they embrace some of those lessons, we will get there. I think consoles will be the main hub of entertainment for the next 5-10 years. To do that, they do have to adapt to what mobile is leading. They have to be fully digital open platforms, media servers for all their entertainment and integration with mobile.”

Elsewhere, he noted that touch-screen formats on mobile are limiting where certain types of games are concerned, before turning attention to the AAA development space. The old notion of $60, 15-hour blockbusters is worn, he warned.

“There’s no reason to stick with legacy forms,” he cautioned. “A 15 hour AAA game is a crushing development experience for the producer. It constrains creativity, there’s a lot of checkboxes to justify $60. I always said that I didn’t know why we didn’t go to the 100 hour movie – and we are now. Between Netflix and boxed sets, we watch series from start to finish in one sitting. Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones to me are long forms of old media. I would love, more than anything, to do a 2 hour AAA game and release it for a few dollars.

“I don’t know why we don’t have an endless song, that changes as we walk around and senses inputs from the world. We could create entirely new categories of entertainment. As creators, our task is to reinvent new forms of entertainment using what we know, in terms of AAA console development, artistry, mobile, free-to-play, in terms of meeting the demand that our players require. ”

What do you make of Antonaides’ view? Are the old forms of game development and distribution in trouble? Has Xbox One got it wrong? Let us know below.

Via GI.biz.

1. absolutezero

If theres one thing that Tam Tam knows more than anything its going “completely wrong direction,”.

OH HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO #shotsfired

#1 8 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Beat me to it!

I was going to go with:

“He should know, after the DMC reboot!”

#2 8 months ago
  3. absolutezero

Y0 is going to shout at us.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Nam3M3King

I don’t get the hatred over the DMC reboot?! In my eyes it improved on the original game & made Dante modern, long trench coat blue eye blonde so 90′s. Tbh I hated all the DMC till now

#4 8 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 People don’t like change.

#5 8 months ago
  6. absolutezero

Thats utter bollocks though.

It was never about the fear of something new. Ever. If the combat had stood up to the previous two titles I could have looked past everything else and enjoyed the game. Right now its sold badly been in a fair few sales and deserves the same level of ire aimed at Lost Planet 3.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

I think the combat stands up just fine. It’s significantly different, but I still found it a tonne of fun. The art style and music was also a huge draw for me – a refreshing change from anime pretty boys and shitty nu-metal.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Dark

Rumour: Ninja Theory to Quit Console Development

#8 8 months ago
  9. Obernox

I wish DmC never existed. Thank god Metal Gear Rising came out short after to wash out the terrible taste. A true skilled-base hack ‘n slasher.

#9 8 months ago
  10. TheBlackHole

““I don’t know why we don’t have an endless song, that changes as we walk around and senses inputs from the world.”

#10 8 months ago
  11. Cobra951

“I would love, more than anything, to do a 2 hour AAA game and release it for a few dollars.”

I will never pay you a dime for a 2-hour game. I’ll play it for free, or I won’t play it at all.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@9 As soon as you learn the dodge move, all skill in MGR goes completely out the window. I’ve never seen a game to from challenging to cakewalk so radically thanks to the addition of a single move as I have in that game.

#12 8 months ago
  13. salarta

I agree with Tameem this time, but because he was behind DmC, I am legally obligated to say he is wrong. :P

#13 8 months ago
  14. ddtd

@10 – what’s funny is that ther already is something he described. RJDJ. It’s been around for a long time.

#14 8 months ago
  15. loki

going wrong like Ninja Theory

#15 8 months ago
  16. mrobin

You guys are so hilarious. Really. This ‘DmC sucks hahahaha’ joke never gets old. Any post that has the word ‘DmC’ or ‘Ninja Theory’ in it must have this in the comment section.

I have played the older DMC games. I did not like it. It’s cheesy, it’s difficult at times, it’s not my thing. Do I go to posts with the word ‘Capcom’ in it and complain? No. Because opinions differ, and I respect the fact that people like something whereas I don’t. I just wish that some people would respect the fact that I (and let me tell you, a LOT of other people) like the reboot and let it just stay that way.

Now, about the actual post. I actually agree with Tameem in a way. When you think of mobile gaming, I think about more than just my phone. I automatically think about my PS Vita. I don’t like the thing, simply because I expected it to have at least a few big games. But I have seen what it is capable of and I truly believe that in a few years, technology can be further developed until customers finally have that gaming experience on-the-go (and I don’t mean Candy Crush). I do believe that consoles will continue to play a big role in the gaming world. I like what Sony is doing right now, integrating their Vita system with the PS4. (I’ve yet to see if they actually live up to my expectations.) What I’d like to see in a few years is the gap between mobile and console gaming closing, and I think it’s not impossible.

#16 8 months ago
  17. bradk825

As soon as he said mobile will be the dominant form, he lost me. He doesn’t understand gamers if he thinks mobile can replace tv screens and computer monitors.

And if he doesn’t understand gamers, I don’t see how he gets to say the consoles are moving in the wrong direction.

If anything, they are moving toward amalgamation, and that’s a good thing. If next-next-gen I can buy one box that will hold my TV subscription, be my PVR and gaming device, by my computer, phone, and babysit my kids, I’ll be signed up on day one.

#17 8 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@17 Mobile already is the dominant format.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Dragon

@18,
    How? Last I checked, EA is one of the biggest mobile pubs, yet still makes a ton more on consoles.

“They have to be fully digital open platforms.”
    Yeah, like ios?
    Sounds like AAA developer butthurt over poor sales of his games.

#19 8 months ago
  20. salarta

@16: Because it’s the most high-profile thing Ninja Theory has done, and like every forced reboot from this/last generation, DmC never should’ve happened.

You’re approaching the DMC franchise as someone new to it and going back, and I’m guessing that you played the old games after you played DmC. That skews perspective. Typically, when someone plays an old game then says it sucks, I find that they’re trying to judge an old game by modern standards (or if they’re a fan of a reboot, they expect the old games to fit the form of the reboot) when what they should be doing is considering when the game was made and judging it by how it compares to other games of the same genre made at that time.

But the story issue goes to what made the franchise what it is. Like nearly all recent reboots, it’s done with a certain level of hatred and disdain for the past, rather than appreciating and respecting the past but building upon it. Ninja Theory was even more pronounced in bashing the franchise before they came along by explicitly mocking both Dante as a character and existing fans of the franchise. With remarks like those, it’s inevitable for people to turn on Ninja Theory for looking like cocky tools that think they’re God’s gift to gaming and anything they do is perfect.

They may have gotten away with it if they spent more time talking about how they want to “advance” and “develop” the character while trying to destroy him like certain successful reboots have done to once great characters.

#20 8 months ago
  21. Arcnail

and we care what this guy says why?

#21 8 months ago
  22. Gheritt White

@ 11: You are everything that’s wrong in the world of videogames comments. Listen to yourself! You sound like an overly-entitled brat. Gah…

DmC was a terrific game. End of.

I agree with Tameem, SteamBox does have the power to be disruptive but it’s likely consoles will dominate for another 5+ years.

#22 8 months ago
  23. Clupula

I can’t help but notice that everybody who is saying they loved that abortion of a remake also says, “I never liked the originals.” If you didn’t appreciate the greatness of the originals then, of course, you wouldn’t understand why the remake received so much hatred. DMC3 was, until Bayonetta came along, the single best game of that genre. It was wonderfully difficult, it had a fairly amusing over-the-top storyline, and it had music that fit the gameplay.

That difficulty that one of you said they didn’t like was exactly WHY we liked it so much. DmC was a sad shell of what the Devil May Cry series was supposed to be about. It was Devil May Cry with training wheels on, a character redesign meant to appeal to people who didn’t like the original and repulse those who did, awful music by a shitty band of premadonnas who leave clubs like a bunch of little bitches if they can’t get their soundcheck on time (personal experience opening for Combichrist, btw), and most importantly, a distinct lack of respect for what had come before. Tammy thought he was right the whole time and constantly spit in the faces of everyone who loved the series previously.

You will never understand why we hate it, since you couldn’t appreciate the original. It’s more than just the hair.

#23 8 months ago
  24. Clupula

As for the concept of a 2 hour AAA title, it can work if done properly. Portal immediately stands out to me as a high-quality short title.

However, Portal was sold (at least to consoles, anyway, don’t really care much about how it was done on PC) as part of the Orange Box, so it was a small part of a larger value.

One of my biggest complaints, in fact, about Portal 2 is that it felt artifically stretched out. The concept doesn’t lend itself to a 10-15 game. 2 hours felt perfect in Portal’s case.

So, maybe if several different studios did very short, high-production games, and they were released as part of a single compiliation package for $60, that would work.

Otherwise, I can’t imagine it’d be a good investment to make a very high quality game and then sell it for $10-15.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Gheritt White

@23: It still doesn’t stop DmC being a great game in and of itself, in its own right. I had tons of fun with the game – are you saying I’m wrong, or that enjoyment shouldn’t be the primary metric by which we measure a game’s worth?

@24: I agree 100%. Then thing is, it’s not impossible make a 2 – 3 hour game for $10-12M, making it *much* easier to turn a profit. It’d bring dev costs back to PS2-era budgets, making things much less pressurised. Plus, the fact it’s cheaper means more people will buy it – provided the quality is there – and allow for rapid investment in a sequel. I would *love* to play a six game franchise where each iteration was max 3 hours long. It’d be the gaming equivalent of a comic-book mini-series or TV serial!

#25 8 months ago
  26. YoungZer0

@20: “when what they should be doing is considering when the game was made and judging it by how it compares to other games of the same genre made at that time.”

No, a good game stays a good game. See Deus Ex and System Shock. HD Collection is prove that the old titles are not as good as people remember them to be. Without nostalgia, you have an empty game with bland environments, boring storyline, embarrassing one-liners, shallow characters, pace-breaking puzzles, backtracking.

Backtracking.

And even more backtracking.

@23:

“I never liked the originals.”

Maybe because they were mediocre? I recently got myself the HD Collection and oh boy, those games didn’t age well at all. The only passable game is DMC3 and it reconfirmed my believe that the haters are full of shit. The games combat is not as deep as they say. Far from it. I sat there saying to myself “Is that really the entire move set for this weapon?”

“awful music by a shitty band of premadonnas who leave clubs like a bunch of little bitches if they can’t get their soundcheck on time (personal experience opening for Combichrist, btw)”

… that story again? Seriously get over it. Seems like you take the entire thing too personal. That’s probably the only reason you don’t like the game, because it doesn’t feature your music. Lawl.

“You will never understand why we hate it”

“You’ll never understand my pain, dad!”

Seriously, never stop your whining.

#26 8 months ago
  27. Clupula

@26 – Well, at first, I was going to say that I was glad that nothing I created was in that piece of shit game, because I’d be embarrassed to be associated with it, but then I realize, having given a song recently to a movie I haven’t even seen, with no intention of doing so, that if you give me a big enough check, if you wanted to use my music in Superman 64, I’d gladly cash it. Wouldn’t make the game suck any less, though. I’m not the idealistic 25 year old I once was, telling “the system” to go fuck itself…which, amusingly, was exactly the type of audience Tammy thought he was appealing to with his souless remake. I’m an adult now, with bills to pay.

But having a shitty band do the soundtrack for a shitty game makes neither of them less shitty. Repo Man may have an awesome soundtrack, but it’s still a crap movie, no matter how many people tell me how great the music for it is.

As for the original games, I will give you that DmC is better than DMC2, but that’s not a very high bar to hurdle over. If you think that the gameplay of DmC is somehow better than DMC3, then your opinion is just broken beyond repair and our opinions of what is good and what isn’t are just too divergent to even have a conversation about it.

#27 8 months ago
  28. Agt_Pendergast

“Is that really the entire move set for this weapon?” Have you played the new DMC? In order to get the moves you can do with just rebellion in DMC3, they had to put it onto multiple weapon. There’s more you can do with Ebony and Ivory in 3 than you can in the reboot.

Personally, I felt the reboot was just okay. If it was named anything else, I wouldn’t have cared. What’s worst about it to me was just how dull it was. I played it on hard and it more or less felt like 3 on easy. The enemies just stand around most of the time, the color-coded enemies limit your combat options, and personally, I just found the new Dante boring. He just stares blankly most of the time, hardly ever reacting to anything outside of boss fights. Oh, the platforming is better, I guess. It’s tedious and doesn’t really add anything to the game in my eyes.

#28 8 months ago