Secrets of Rætikon Indiegogo funds stolen and spent, will be returned

Wednesday, 20th November 2013 02:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Secrets of Rætikon developer Broken Rules lost a wad of its crowdfunding cash to a hacker, who used the money to purchase, among other things, a couple of PlayStation 4 consoles.

Somebody hacked Broken Rules’ PayPal account and spent $2,500 of the cash garnered from the Secrets of Rætikon Indiegogo campaign, Broken Rules told Joystiq.

Some of the money was used to order three PS4 consoles, co-founder Martin Pichlmair said, but PayPal believes all the money will be returned.

The developer now has full control over its account, and can continue collecting funds; it believes the account’s password was cracked, leading to the breach. The hacker is unlikely to be identified.

“This feels like someone breaking into your house and we were super-stressed out for a whole day. We’re on the last stretch of our crowdfunding campaign and this incident is really taxing. Gladly there wasn’t too much money on our PayPal account at that point,” Pichlmair said.

The crowdfunding campaign is nearly over; buying in nets you alpha access.

Speaking of Secrets of Rætikon, check out this great trailer featuring indie developers giving their take on how to pronounce the damn thing.

1. Dragon

PS4 root of all evil confirmed :P

#1 9 months ago
  2. wildBoar

Where the fuck did that Æ come from? Are we stealing scandinavian letters now? Cause Google tells me these guys are Austrian, stop stealing culture damn you!

#2 9 months ago
  3. TheWulf

That’s kind of horrible, but it just goes to show how fallible services like PayPal are. I’ve always been infuriated at PayPal for limiting password length and not allowing spaces. How are you supposed to create a secure password unless it can be around 60 characters long? :P

I’m completely serious, though. Most people don’t take their passwords seriously enough. And when a service doesn’t take passwords seriously, I question the security of that service.

Sucks for them, but I can’t say I didn’t see this happening.

And it really does suck for them because I absolutely adore the look of this game, and it’s something that I very, very much want. If anything, I think this should be a lesson to indie devs in the future. Even Amazon is more paranoid than PayPal, and Google definitely is.

I’m sorry, there have just been too many horror stories about PayPal. I’m really iffy about it.

#3 9 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Isn’t the game itself based upon Norse mythology? If so, that’s rather a silly thing to say…

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Also! Indie people are wonderful, beautiful, eccentric special little snowflakes and I adore them for it. Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

#5 9 months ago