PSN EU issues mass password reset as “precautionary measure”

Wednesday, 20th November 2013 22:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has issued a mass mandatory password reset on the European PlayStation Network, although there has been no security compromise.

European PSN users have reported numerous sign in issues over the past few hours. According to a support reply on the PlayStation forums, the reason is that Sony has requested users change their passwords.

“We monitor PSN account for any irregular activity. If such activity is detected we will sometimes reset passwords,” a support team member said.

“This was done purely as precautionary measure and there was no specific evidence that any accounts had be compromised.”

The Sony representative reiterated that “there is nothing specific to worry about” and said that “only a small number of users” had been affected.

No further details of the irregular activity are available, for security reasons.

It’s probably a good time to reset your password anyway; it’s best done a on a regular basis, and if you get it over with now the new password will be fresh in your mind when you set up your PS4 on November 29.

1. Hcw87

I was able to log in through their website with no problems. Guess i’m not ”affected” then?

Anyway, I WANT TO CHANGE my PSN ID allready. It’s about damn time.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Fethennour

Thank God, I really started thinking I got my account hacked or something. But I don’t think I understand what “irregular activity” means to them : I use my account every fudging day, what the hell is wrong ? And when I want them to send me an email to reset my password, they just don’t. Guess I’ll have to wait…

#2 11 months ago
  3. Hcw87

You can’t log on here?

#3 11 months ago
  4. freedoms_stain

This has affected me and it says my email and DOB are not recognised.

If I have to contact Sony about this imma be annoyed.

They have until tomorrow.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Fethennour

@3 No, I tried earlier this evening, but I could not. I cannot log from my PS3 nor my Vita either. :/

#5 11 months ago
  6. Joe Musashi

“there is nothing specific to worry about”

That has to go down as one of the least reassuring statements I’ve ever read.

JM

#6 11 months ago
  7. Cort

2011. PSN is hacked. Gamers bitch Sony didn’t do something. 2013. Sony makes a precautionary password reset. Gamers bitch Sony did something.

That’s life.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Fin

Oh whoops, I just changed the password to the same one :/

Should probably change again

#8 11 months ago
  9. GregoryRasputin

Support from Sony Europe says only a small number are affected and Brenna Hillier from VG24/7 say a mass amount of people are affected.

So is it a small amount ?
    A mass amount ?

Is Sony hiding a bigger problem ?

>.<

#9 11 months ago
  10. mistermogul

I am also unable to sign in to PSN on my Vita, PS3 and website…

It says my email/password have not been recognised… Very annoyed and slightly concerned. Any news on this from Sony?

Edit – Sony have not so far sent my “password reset” email yet after requesting it from their website. Wtf is wrong with these mofo’s?

#10 11 months ago
  11. mistermogul

My password reset link finally came through and have now been able to access my account.

Sony are not filling me with confidence here!

#11 11 months ago
  12. Fethennour

@mistermogul : Did you do something specific about it ? Since last night, no email received, nothing. I’m currently unable to reset my goddamn password.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Dragon

@12,
    The thing resolved in minutes for me. You have to ask for “I forgot my password” at login. Put in your e-mail id and birthdate and wait for the email. Its automated, so it should arrive in seconds. Well, it did in my case.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Fethennour

@13 I did it, I did it dozens of times since last night, and still nothing. I did it from my PS3, my Vita, the PS Blog, the PS Store from my PC. Sony just lost a faithful (until now) consumer, bravo.

#14 11 months ago
  15. jennybell

Hopefully everythiing is sorted, and not repeats of last time
    Sisters console died, but guessing coincidence. ganna try a local repair tried like these anyone tried similar? Sony charging still too much grrr.
    Lets hope the cc details are ok this time round, precautionary or not.

#15 11 months ago
  16. freedoms_stain

Grr, pain in the tits, whatever Sony have as my DoB is wrong so I have had to email them a photo of my drivers licence and the guy on the phone said this could take up to 7 working days…

#16 11 months ago
  17. Odesy

Yep i have the same issue as freedoms_stain email and DOB wrong i hope they fix soon im getn ps4 in 1 week

#17 11 months ago