PS4 to be “in good supply” through holiday season

Monday, 18th November 2013 23:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation 4 stock will not run out through the holiday season, according to Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House.

Speaking to GameInformer, House said Sony is trying to get the console at in as many territories as possible without running short of stock – a difficult tightrope to tip.

“You try to strike a balance, particularly for us with such a strong brand in all the European countries and across the Middle East. We are ensuring that we have the broadest reach to ensure that people are satisfied, especially when they’ve been loyal to brand for so long,” he said.

“On the other hand, we’re not engendering frustration by having a shortage of supply. I think through the holiday season that we’ll be in good supply,” he added, despite announcing a 5 million sales target for the end of March 2014.

Later comments from house suggested that the Japanese launch was not delayed for stock reasons.

“When we choose launch dates, we do it with very careful consideration. A huge factor in our determination is where we are seeing the appropriate breadth of great game experiences. There are just some basic differences in that highly networked experiences like online multiplay has taken off to a much greater degree in the US and European markets than it has in some of the Asian markets,” he said.

“We paid careful attention to when we had enough confidence that we would have developed from the ground up experiences that the Japanese consumer would really respond to. That was the primary decision in pushing back the launch in Japan to a slightly later time period.”

It’s important that Sony maintain sufficient supply of stock as the PS3′s launch was tarnished by shortages. I don’t know what the situation is worldwide, but you can’t pre-order one for before Christmas in Australia for love nor money.

The PS4 launched in North America last Friday, and comes to Europe and further sleected territories on November 29.

1. TD_Monstrous69

I really hope I can still find one for my younger brother during Black Friday.

#1 1 year ago
  2. _LarZen_

Here in Norway it’s going to be a big problem getting a PS4 this year. There are only coming around 30.000 PS4 machines that is going to be shared between the countries in Scandinavia.

The biggest stores here are getting 10-20 machines in stores at launch day. The rest are pre-ordered months ago by people.

With so few machines it’s almost a joke launching it in Scandinavia as most people cant buy one. Glad I pre-ordered mine back in june…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Nephilimator

You guys can always buy mine. Still new in box.

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

That is such a lie.. I purchased 5 ps4 and sold 4 for 1650.00 each with a service plan hdmi cord( monster ) and any game from the ones available. All sold within the weekend. I will do the same with the xbox1. System launches never have enough to go around

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

I find that hard to believe because on Ebay you can get the PS4 lock stock and barrel for little over 600 even with games they are 700ish. That or the people that are buying these systems from you are absolute morons. Its the same for Craigslist.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Joe Musashi

“System launches never have enough to go around”

And greedy scalpers contribute considerably to that issue.

JM

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

@4: yea, that’s nasty. i preordered a x1 and ps4 back in summer because i didn’t know which one it will be for me in the end. was even thinking about getting both for a while. i am thinking about ebaying my x1 now but if i do i wont ask for more than +100€. i think that’s still ok for someone who really really cannot wait for it but was too lazy to preorder / might teach him how this works for the next launch :) and a little benefit for me because i preordered that early (and i am broke now)…but i don’t know, i even feel bad asking for +100€.
    buying several consoles with the intention to sell them because of expected supply shortage is just weak man.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

Buying several consoles just to sell them for a higher price is not weak thats business. The people that cant wait and buy them off them are weak.

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

It might be business but it’s still superweak human behaviour…just like capitalism is organised crime ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Djoenz

Oh I hear ya! Thats the system. Hopefully we’ll break free of this damn matrix one day.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

Every single human being can make a start every single day. For example: not ebaying consoles on ebay not even for “only” +100 euro. Voila, just made a decission. Thx. Now let’s play some battlefield war sims on our shiny new foxconn toys together.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Djoenz

Want to make a real difference? As soon as you get the XboxOne or PS4 send it off to ship to the Netherlands to my adress.

Jesus will thank you for it. God bless. :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. melonbuster1

No one put a gun to anyones head. I just pre ordered both systems anywhere I could the day I was able. I paid them all off. So its up to the lazy person who didn’t want to get up and do the leg work. I did and I want to get paid for it.. so poor dumb human being for buying it. They are really happy to get it same day shipping with all the trimmings. . Remember there is no reasistion just bosses claiming such so they can cut back on your pay and have you work harder for less

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

Shit attitude man. You don’t trade fair and that’s always weak. Doesn’t matter that you try to paint it in a different color just to feel better.

#14 1 year ago
  15. zekeloza91@gmail.com

I’m in the u.s[Texas] and I reserved a ps4 in frys electronics and I’ll be getting it ,like in two weeks

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kreion

@13 What legwork, preordering? That thing you do online without having to move your fat ass off the seat? Don’t try and argue that what you’re doing is anything but what it is – making money of idiots.

I don’t have a problem with that because there will always be assholes like you and idiots of buy things off said assholes. But I do have a problem with you pretending you are anything but said aforementioned insult.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TrickyAudio

I’ve ordered two, one for myself and one for my mate which I’ve sold to him at retail price.

Wheres my ‘anti greed’ Trophy?

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phat

LOL! I think that you should not buy a PS4 or Xbox One at the moment and of course I have reasons for saying that. You can see it here: http://lovingtheclassicsreviewsite.net/trend/why-you-ought-to-wait-before-purchasing-an-xbox-one-or-ps4/

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

Honestly, every console cycle, I get the idea to buy at launch, and then make some extra cash on eBay, but I’m convinced I’d end up just playing the things, instead, so I don’t ever end up doing it.

#19 1 year ago