Thief QTEs ditched by Eidos Montreal

Friday, 15th November 2013 10:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief developer Eidos Montreal has ditched the reboot’s controversial QTE mechanics, after a negative reaction from fans.

It follows this batch of Thief screenshots and concept art, detailing the game’s first mission ‘Lockdown’.

Now, the studio confirmed the dropping of QTEs over on its development blog. During the post, community manager Valerie Bourdeau said, “We’re not implementing them. To begin with, there were very few instances of QTEs in the game; in fact there was only one in that whole hour-long E3 demo. However, given the strong reactions it evoked in the press and the community, it was an easy decision to do away with them entirely. So we’re not doing it. No quick time.”

Are you happy that the QTEs have been dropped? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. Obernox

VICTORY! :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. mistermogul

Yay now we just need Ryse to do the same!

#2 1 year ago
  3. GregSolidus

The very fact the developers thought they were okay to begin with still leaves me concerned.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

@3: I don’t think QTE’s are too bad. As long as devs know to implement them well and in short bursts. And although QTE sounds like an unfitting game mechanic for a series like Thief, this game is supposed to be a reboot, so let’s see if it would’ve fit.

I’m not so calm when it came to XP for headshots and all that, which thankfully was also dropped.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

@4 I agree. It’s more about the timing and use of QTE, than any kneejerk reaction that “oh it must be bad here, because it’s been turned into a design crutch in the past!”
    If it adds to the game, and offers more to the player, then I don’t see what there is to gain from plucking a tool from a creator’s use. Context.

For this particular game though, I wonder whether they were actually necessary, or of much use. We’re already playing Garrett, and we’re already carrying out our plans – Does the action then need bringing to a snail’s pace? Introducing an irritant fail state?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Luciferous

I don’t hold much affection for the older Thief games, I enjoyed them, but they never sparked the fanaticism that I see in some others.

I am however really looking forward to the reboot, it looks slick and on a harder difficulty than has been showed should provide the difficulty series fans want.

I loved dishono(u)red and I played it as a purely stealth game, not a single death in the whole thing, so if I can do the same in this I will be content!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

Who thinks that QTE is a good idea for a Thief game should be purged in hell and called an idiot million times.

It’s a stealth game. Not STEALTH ACTION GAME with QTE bollocks.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

@6 Thanks for the shout out to Queen’s English users.

I don’t really see the big deal about a couple of QTEs. Why are they so disliked?

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

I suppose this is a matter of empathy again, which gamers don’t have a lot of. Consider you’re a person with weak wrists, a wrist injury, you’ve had carpal tunnel surgery, or you’re prone to RSI. Then QTEs are not fun, they’re not fun to the point of being painful.

I just don’t like them, personally, because I don’t feel that Simon Says actually adds anything to a game. I felt that they were the only weak point in The Wolf Among Us.

I can empathise though with those who find QTEs bad because they actually cause them pain. The mainstream obsession with QTEs could be really unnerving and depressing if you’re one of those people.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Vice

Now how about listening to fans once more and casting original actor back?

#10 1 year ago
  11. JB

OTE`s are nearly always an abomination in a game anyways. Either stop using them, or make them optional.

#11 1 year ago