PS4 console problems “within our expectations,” says Sony, but still on track for great launch

Friday, 15th November 2013 11:03 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 has launched in North America and Canada, and while most of the territory is enjoying the experience, some users have reported bricked consoles. As you know, Sony has issued a statement on the matter.

It follows the PS4 launch last night. We covered it in full through the link. You can also check out my PS4 essentials hub, which includes specs, console features, game details and much more.

As we reported yesterday IGN was handed the quote by a Sony rep. It reads, “A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

“There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .4% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction.”

This statement corrects reports that .04% of the consoles were affected, which we again, reported yesterday. But it’s good to keep this in mind.

We’ll have more from Sony and the launch of PS4 throughout the weekend.

1. Legendaryboss

Um okay?

#1 9 months ago
  2. Obernox

DAMAGE CONTROL.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 What? for 0.4% failure rate? That’s tiny.

#3 9 months ago
  4. TrickyAudio

Given the hugeness of the launch and how many were pre-ordered, this could of been much worse. It also seems PSN is starting to get back on its feet as well.

Moral of the story is, if you don’t want to be put out by niggles or failures, don’t get anything day one.

Probably a good thing it wasn’t a worldwide release too.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Super Girevik

“This is within our expectations for a new product introduction”

I don’t think the poor gamer who pre-ordered a Playstation 4 and waited so long for it, agrees. Especially since I assume it will be hard for him to exchange it for a new one, due the lack of availability.

0.4% seems insignificant but not if you are part of that 0.4%.

Which is why I try to avoid day one purchases like the plague.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Junior

Mine last night took 10 mins to get an image to show up on the tv screen. I still haven’t figured out how to turn it on. I have to keep reseting the input on the tv to make it detect the syste.

I don’t know if the problem is with the tv that isn’t new generation or the system. Don’t know if it can be patched or need to be replaced.

I will go to my parents house and test there. They bought a new tv 3 days ago.

#6 9 months ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

So does #6 make it a 0.40001 failure rate now?

#7 9 months ago
  8. Ali

Man this is stupid… .04% if shipped unites ? This statement is just idiotic, u need to make sure that all the shipped unites are sold,tried and are free of problems b4 u brag about it being 0.04. Hope mine wont be defective …

#8 9 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

“Or is it within the initial 0.4 failure rate that they amazingly managed to come up with before they’d even sold a single console through retail?”

THIS.

0.4% failure rate of ‘SHIPPED’ not SOLD units is pretty awful given how few are out.

#9 9 months ago
  10. mtnman3888

0.4% is tiny, if I remember correctly both the PS3 and WiiU were around 3.5% while the initial run of 360′s were way higher, around 15%. If they can keep this number, it would be a huge accomplishment.

Regardless, definitely sucks if you are one of those 0.4%

#10 9 months ago
  11. tmac2011

i never buy the very 1st launch consoles…. i just wait a couple months till some new games come out. srsly prolly knack and driveclub would be the only ones i would have gotten. some dude waiting inline last night said on spike oh im gonna play cod ghosts. and he already had it for ps3.. boring. ill buy it in the spring when MGS5 comes … theres always problems, with brand new consoles lol

#11 9 months ago
  12. mtnman3888

@11 it is definitely part of the risk of buying any electronics at launch. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and hopefully MS doesn’t have any huge problems themselves next week.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Junior

The system does look cheap though. Maybe because I have the fat ps3. It feels very light and the material looks like the cheap platic used on the ps3 slim or the ps2 slim.

Still happy that we are finally on a new generation. Also the UI is no longer slow.

Not sure why 98 gb of the hdd is reserved though

#13 9 months ago
  14. Templar_Dante

As far as these problems go…
    I want to see pics or it didnt happen.
    reason? MS shills/viral marketers etc. The cases Sony addressed is one thing. VM’s are another.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Templar_Dante

No offence, Junior. I dont believe you.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Beersup

I hope all the PS4 trolls get a bricked console. Anyone else deserves a working unit and the experience they paid for.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Junior

@Templar, I respect that but you don’t have to trust me. The system works. I have not figured out if the problem is me connecting this system or the system itself.

I don’t know if a picture of a black screen is going to prove anything about the HDMI not working properly.

regarding the quality of the material on the system, you can just buy one and see for yourself.

I am a big fan of the Playstation and I only play on the PlayStation. I’m happy with it. If the problem is with this system I was just one of the unlucky. I don’t hold any grudge against someone for it. the quality of the material is expected for the price we pay. I am happy with that price.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Junior

Just booted up from stand by mode and had no issues with hdmi. Will keep testing the system untill i figure out everything

#18 9 months ago
  19. stretch215

@ junior: http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

You’re not the only one…
    @14-15 you are a joke

#19 9 months ago
  20. Junior

Yeah this system is going to a friend in Brazil. it is very expensive over there so I am taking this one for him. I have to make sure that it works properly.

my only other issue is logging in to PlayStation Network . I did not buy any games so I was hoping to login and download the free games from PlayStation Plus .

I’ll probably wait until later tonight

#20 9 months ago
  21. G1GAHURTZ

^ So it’s working?

Is it an intermittent thing, or do you think it’s working properly now?

Did you see the Kotaku thing? They said that their PS4 had a problem with HDMI, but all they needed to do was push a piece of metal down with a pin, and it was ok after that.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Junior

Yes giga, it works but I haven’t figure out if the issue was. Maybe the first time is slow or the boot up from complete power off is slow. I gave up last night at 2am when I figured out that playstation network was down .

I only got 15 minutes this morning before I had to go to work. it was on in standby mode and it booted up just fine but I still could not log in to PlayStation Network.

like I said, I need to test it more to figure it out if the problem was me old the system itself

#22 9 months ago
  23. Junior

Sorry voice typing + accent doesn’t work well. No way to edit once posted. So, hopeffuly, you understood me

#23 9 months ago
  24. Francis O

@3 Dave…don’t damage control for Sony.

For all the people who this did happen to, that doesn’t make it ok, or to brush them off as a statistic.

Its not fair to them.

#24 9 months ago
  25. G1GAHURTZ

@23:

Yeah, it was clear.

Hope you get it sorted and the PS4 is all good.

#25 9 months ago
  26. EdgizAwesome

Obviously it sucks but its unavoidable. With this many consoles being shipped its bound to have a few cracked eggs in it. Once again if u think this is bad think of xbox 360s launch with the 17% RROD consoles. It’s miniscule. cannot wait for the European launch.

#26 9 months ago
  27. Djoenz

17% or 15%RROD? Well people didnt mind that so much did they? People never learn.

#27 9 months ago
  28. Reddpayn

Make a video from cod ghosts ps4 splitscreen gameplay

#28 9 months ago
  29. Lloytron

@26 sorry, that’s wrong. It is completely avoidable. There’s no excuse to ship failing products.

#29 9 months ago
  30. salarta

The reports about the HDMI worried me when I got mine, but thankfully Kotaku’s article includes a photo of what to expect if you actually do have a problem. Mine works perfectly fine.

Downloading the update file is taking an increasing amount of time. I think this is because everyone’s trying to download it right now being many got home to their consoles waiting for them.

#30 9 months ago