Sony investigating reported PS4 issues, Yoshida says they are “isolated incidents”

Thursday, 14th November 2013 14:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Reports of PlayStation 4 users experiencing issues such as when updating to firmware 1.50 are “isolated incidents,” according to Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida.

According to Yoshida, Sony is “investigating reported PS4 issues,” and the “number is very small compared to shipped.”

Sony has also issued an official statement on the matter:

“A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive,” said a representative to IGN. “We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

“There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .4% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction.”

Reports surfaced overnight and this morning regarding PS4 issues ranging from broken displays, HDMI output issues and “bricking” after updating to the latest firmware.

The issues have been reported by those who won a PS4 early through Taco Bell, the “Play the Future First” contest, and press outlets such as IGN and Kotaku.

PS4 releases in North America this Friday and in Europe on November 29.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Revenge of the slaves!

#1 5 months ago
  2. redwood

^^ haha that cracked me up…

#2 5 months ago
  3. Fin

At least one of the guys who bricked his unit pulled the power during a firmware update.

Hopefully it’s isolated overall though.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Lapalk

It’s concerning at the least, but I doubt it will stop any pre-orders. Everyone will watch in anticipation when they turn it on for the 1st time.

#4 5 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

Glad I am waiting till post launch to buy my systems.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Djoenz

I read somewhere that Taco Bell handed out like 4000 units. At least these ppl got one for free. I pity the fools that pre ordered muwhahahahaahahahaha.

Evil grin.

and one guy pulled out his hdd while it was still on. :P
    He will be famous on twitch after this fiasco.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Dragon

I am sure someone conveniently forgot that Wii U had similar issues ;)

Oh well, as I said during Wii U launch, these isolated hardware issues happen with every hardware launch, so not surprising in the least.

@6,
    “one guy pulled out his hdd while it was still on.”
    Not sure if stupid or funny.

#7 5 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

My Wii U bricked very soon after launch, horrible, horrible times…

Posting a new console off for repair around Christmas time is a bad experience… Postage is crazy around this time and it was annoying as hell waiting to play all those new games! :/

The firmware thing, while annoying can easily be solved. It’s the hardware im more intrigued by.

Packing so much potential heat into a small space.

Edit:

lol @Dragon.

Wah wah please ignore me while I continue to bait…

Post could have read:

“The Wii U had similar issues etc…”

it read:

“Im sure someone conveniently forgot…”

“Someone…”

Hmmm… Who is someone? bait, bait, bait that hook…

#8 5 months ago
  9. Legion

Likely the issue is minimal and not as prolific as suggested by reports.

But to say that “number is very small compared to shipped.” is not really a good observation when we are not talking about shipped systems and only talking about already received systems.

They best turn the talk around before Black Friday!

And @3… hopefully that is not the case. If a simple power interruption during update can brick a system then that is devastating.

UPDATE: Just noticed this link: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/index.htm

And this portion seems very worrisome.

“- Do not install system software soon before or soon after a power outage.

- Do not turn off your system during the installation. Interrupting the installation can cause your system to be damaged.

- You might not be able to use some applications or content without first updating the system software.”

Wow… I am hoping they are just being overly cautious with their concerns? The thought of your system being actually damaged because of loss of power during an update is just terrible. And not many people know when they are going to expect a power outage.. so the “soon before… a power outage” portion is a bit omniscient isn’t it?

#9 5 months ago
  10. Djoenz

You could have ignored him dumbass. You didnt fall for it though you are just being a smartass. You are not the bigger man in this particular instance. Tag along sir.

#10 5 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Your sentences seem at odds with one another.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Dragon

@10,
    Lawl :D

_________________
    Also, someone just had a sarcasm detector fail.
    Ooooops.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Nephilimator

a bricked PS4 is still 360 times more enjoyable then a shitbox 361 motion control garbage shit no games scrub dvr tv watching fable magical horse ride crapbox.

#13 5 months ago
  14. Djoenz

I know that your internet persona is fake as hell and inconsistent as fuck dude.

Job well done man. I honestly was waiting till he or Polygem would reply to you whahahaha sooooo predictable. Touché.

GTFO, the last few days were lovely on VG247, all the bad trolls seemed to have left and now one is back. :(

#14 5 months ago
  15. Lloytron

@13, take a deep breath there mate.

#15 5 months ago
  16. monkeygourmet

@Dragon

Stealth edit ‘wink face’ for the win…

It would have helped if that was there originally when mentioning sarcasm detectors failing…

That was very lame.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Zackslacky

@13 Enjoy your brick s4. From what i am hearing smoke comes out of some systems…seems we got the steam box early;)

#17 5 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

“Job well done man”

&

“all the bad trolls seemed to have left”

Ha! Classic. And you are worried about inconsistancies?! :)

I guess you only like the sneaky trolls.

#18 5 months ago
  19. Dragon

@14,

#19 5 months ago
  20. Legion

@14 You do realize #11 appeared to just be identifying that in one sentence you refer to him as a dumbass and in the next as a smartass. Thus the being at odds with each other.

#20 5 months ago
  21. Djoenz

There are no sneaky trolls imo those people are just stubborn as hell.

I thought I mentioned he was “trying” to be a smartass and in the case if I didnt a smartass is still negative in my book and last but not least it might have gone over my head.

His reply is the same though again being a smartass. No need to worry ever since Ive joined vg247 I dont like MonkeyGourmet for some of the things he post. For all I know he is a very cool dude IRL but his internet persona nahhhhhh.

#21 5 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

Exactly…

#22 5 months ago
  23. monkeygourmet

Sneaky troll 101:

Bait the trap (as seen in @7)

Wait…

Get called out on aforementioned ‘trap’… (As seen in @7: Add smiley, then @12)

Quick stealth edit reaction then try to laugh it off…

If all else fails cry: “Why don’t you just ignore me?!”

Repeat ad nauseum.

#23 5 months ago
  24. Djoenz

Oh boy just drop it already :P

#24 5 months ago
  25. polygem

i wish some rats would finally leave the ship and hire at ign where they belong. beyond!

#25 5 months ago
  26. Playmaker

@13 there goes the biggest troll of them all necrophiliac spouting off while Shu’s D is in his A

These are most likely isolated incidents but bc its at launch getting blown out of proportion. Expect same in a week for XBO.

#26 5 months ago
  27. _LarZen_

Isolated fast becomes wide spread. Let’s hope it is just a small batch of machines effected.

#27 5 months ago
  28. KineticCalvaria

@27, it’s not bird flu haha.

#28 5 months ago
  29. bradk825

Hopefully most of them are stupidity errors like the guy who unplugged it while updating (fuck). Considering how many will be sold tomorrow, even having several out of the first 4000 not working would be a very bad omen. Nobody wants to see that (except trolls).

#29 5 months ago
  30. sebastien rivas

haaa updates…
    Safe as sound heh?!?!?

But don’t laugh too hard anyone, this could very easily happen to any other manufacturers then what would you say?

WEll certainly you have to be a butt fuck to unplug while updating but still, The update itself should only occur with a fail safe…. such as keep old version as back up until the new version is installed and run at least 1 time then delete the old version backup.

Just saying, not everyone on hearth know what an update is and how to proceed.

#30 5 months ago
  31. gamereck36

Got mines yesterday and its working fine.

#31 5 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

I don’t wanna know whats going on in this thread and this is the problem for day one buyers.

#32 5 months ago
  33. Super Girevik

If the Playstation 4 does indeed suffer from faulty hardware and the Xbox One launches with little to no problems, then Microsoft’s botched Xbox One reveal will take a back seat to Sony’s botched Playstation 4 launch. Hardware issues accompanied by above average exclusive games will hurt Sony. This weekend should prove to be quite revealing.

I’m glad I didn’t fall for PR launch hype. My instincts told me not to take the risk of buying a launch console.

#33 5 months ago
  34. zoopdeloop

^
    you know that’s a little to no problem right here.As always over exaggeration on the internet

#34 5 months ago
  35. Phoenixblight

I got my system today and so far I have had no issues as far as getting the patch and it bricking the system. I really like the new UI it is less confusing than the cross bar and as far as games installing and downloading it puts the Ps3 in the dust. Now to game on next gen :P

#35 5 months ago
  36. monkeygourmet

Congrats! Post impressions! :)

#36 5 months ago
  37. fearmonkey

@34 -Glad to hear it, I should be getting my system tommorrow, hopefully no issues. Out of curiosity, Did you download the update beforehand and run off of USB or did you just do it online?

#37 5 months ago
  38. Phoenixblight

I did it through online. Wanted to test out its speed over wifi which as I stated is much faster than PS3.

I was only able to put in maybe 30 mins before I had go out(stupid groceries) but The only thing that is weird is the controller not in the sense of it being awful but how much weight it has compared to the Ps3 controller and how much bigger it seems to be but it feels nice. I like the heft the controller has now and is more comfortable in my hands.

As far as gaming goes I played AC4 for a bit and it has a nice face lift compared to the PS3 version which I had rented from redbox to see if I would enjoy that on the PS4 and I do. I really like that you can use the touch screen to navigate through the map even though it seems to be extremely sensitive but even then better than the analog sticks.

I am hoping to have some time later on today to play but I had planned tomorrow to be my day off and to get used to the system and play games.

#38 5 months ago
  39. Stephany Nunneley

Official statement from Sony added.

#39 5 months ago
  40. Super Girevik

Hard to predict the scope of an issue if the systems have not even reached the masses yet.

At this point, we can only wait and see how things turn out. Hopefully it will not be a real issue and people can enjoy Battlefield 4 ;)

#40 5 months ago
  41. Dragon

@PB,
    Looks good.
    Seems Sony has upped their infrastructure for PS4, which is a must since now plus is really necessary for users.

Oh, and new PS4 announcements incoming very soon in a few hours!

#41 5 months ago
  42. Lloytron

Welcome to the next gen!

There’s no excuse for firmware bricks these days to be totally unrecoverable.

#42 5 months ago
  43. Phoenixblight

You mean in 8 hours as in a few? :P

#43 5 months ago
  44. Nephilimator

hahah shitbox 368 fans are here. p00r bitches have to play DVR instead of games.

#44 5 months ago
  45. xxJPRACERxx

“number is very small compared to shipped.”

Considering it’s not even officially launched yet (at least in NA) I think there’s reason for concern.

#45 5 months ago
  46. Brenna Hillier

Update: Just leaving a comment here regarding the deleted report suggesting the figure was as high as 4%. Our report here is as it was originally published, with the figure of 0.4%. Game Informer is now reporting that the figure is actually .4%. I mistakenly reported this as 4%, but given the error and in the absence of further collaborating reports, I’ve deleted that second report altogether and will await word from Sony.

#46 5 months ago
  47. Dragon

@PB,
    Now only 2 !

#47 5 months ago
  48. Arcnail

IGN is reporting 0.4% of those shipped so far.. so 4 of every 1000 (right?). Doesn’t sound too bad, but I guess we’ll see tomorrow when the full release is.

#48 5 months ago
  49. Phoenixblight

It was also those that had won that contest from Taco Bell

#49 5 months ago