PS4 companion app out now ahead of console’s NA launch

Wednesday, 13th November 2013 06:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation App has been updated on Android and iOS with a stack of PS4-friendly content and features ahead of the console’s North American launch on Friday.

Although a PlayStation app has been available for a few years now, the new version has a couple of extra features and has a new visual style reminiscent of the PS4′s user interface.

The app’s feature list is as follows. It’s worth noting that the chat system is cross-platform with Vita and PS4.

• See what your friends are playing, compare trophies, and view your profile or recent activity.
  • Chat with your friends; receive notifications, game alerts, and invitations, and then use your mobile device as an on-screen keyboard for your PS4 system.
  • Browse PlayStation Store, pick-up the latest hit games and add-ons, and then push them to your PS4 system so they are ready when you get home.
  • Take advantage of the in-app second-screen features, when available, for greater challenges and control.
  • Quickly access PlayStation system guides, manuals, and PlayStation.Blog.

Grab the free app from the App Store or Google Play. You’ll need a PSN ID to take full advantage.

The PlayStation 4 arrives in North America on November 15 and comes to Europe and selected further territories on November 29.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. pablo2008jedi

Not here in the UK

#1 8 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

Not appearing on the App Store for me either.

#2 8 months ago
  3. johngeoffrey

Works for me in UK. Had previously download the PlayStation app that was available and went to Google Play which stated it was installed already but I clicked the button and it updated the app on my phone.

Didn’t show there was an update on the Play Store on my phone though.

#3 8 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

Same as @3

#4 8 months ago
  5. unclejibjab

and same here. i went to My Apps in the play store and then had to select All Downloaded… in there it gave me the update button.

#5 8 months ago
  6. salarta

On an attempt to search for it through iTunes, it doesn’t show up. But it’s there. If you’re on a computer, click on the link in this article, then click on the “view in iTunes” link, iTunes will open it and you can then download it to your iTunes account. After downloaded, transfer to your device.

I’m not a huge fan of it so far. It’s great as something to have that wasn’t available before, but to me the way it operates feels a tiny bit clunky. I think that’s mostly because when you decide to use the store, it sends you to Safari to view it as a webpage, and navigating it that way feels awkward. The minimal stuff on the app itself is good so far. The Settings area currently doesn’t actually have any settings to change

We see the rarity of trophies through the app, by the way. Apparently, getting platinum on Demon’s Souls is Ultra Rare, but getting platinum on Dark Souls is only Very Rare. It’d be nice if the Trophies area had a way to limit to only the games you have Platinum on, instead of expecting you to scroll through the whole thing and find it yourself.

All in all, I think this is a good app, and I’m just nitpicking details that I’m sure will be ironed out in the future.

Edit: The Platinum for Nier is Ultra Rare as well, very small number of people have it. Looking at these makes me realize that just because something is rare doesn’t necessarily mean it’s hard to obtain; it only means that enough people have played the game but of those that have played not many played it enough to get the platinum.

#6 8 months ago
  7. scratchy69

I updated the app on my Android phone this morning (in the UK) – the trophy facts are amazing.

6.4% of people who played GTAV never even got past the tutorial apparently.

#7 8 months ago