PS4, Xbox One “too limited” for Oculus Rift, says inventor

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 23:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Oculus Rift founder Palmer Luckey believes even the grunt of next-gen consoles is too feeble for virtual reality tech.

Speaking to TechRadar, Luckey said the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One aren’t on the company’s priorities list for a couple of reasons – the first being that the hardware doesn’t keep pace with innovation.

“Consoles are too limited for what we want to do. We’re trying to make the best virtual reality device in the world and we want to continue to innovate and upgrade every year – continue making progress internally – and whenever we make big jumps we want to push that to the public,” he said.

“The problem with consoles in general is that once they come out they’re locked to a certain spec for a long, long time. Look at the PCs that existed eight years ago. There have been so many huge advances since then. Now look at the VR hardware of today. I think the jump we’re going to see in the next four or five years is going to be massive.”

The next problem is that, powerful as they are, the PS4 and Xbox One can’t live up to what VR requires – “rendering at high resolutions at over 60 frames a second in 3D”.

“It’s hard to imagine them running a VR experience that’s on par with PC. And certainly five years from now the experiences and the technology for virtual reality that will be available on PC is going to be be so far beyond anything that a console can provide.

“What we’re most excited about – really the core direction of our company – is trying to make something that works on platforms that are moving quickly and that are continuously getting more powerful, and consoles are not those.”

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. Lewis247

I would absolutely love to see some form of VR for next gen consoles.

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

Suuuure it is.

Incidentally, this means I’m not getting an Oculus Rift. I play PC games, but I don’t play only PC games.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lloytron

Google Oculus Rift VR Tenga for what they prefer over Xbox and PS3.

Warning – don’t. Some things can’t be unseen.

#3 1 year ago
  4. xFidelCashflow

i guess that explains why Sony decided to try to invest in its own VR tech instead of just teaming up with Oculus. whether it actually sees the light of day (or doesn’t cost $50,000,000) remains to be seen though, but it makes sense now.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

““We’re seeing games that are already saying they’re gonna run in 720p on next gen so they can barely hit 60 in 2D,” Luckey said.”

Next Gen in a nutshell. 720p image at best.

I can guarantee you that STEAM Machines will have Oculus Rift Support at LAUNCH.

And can’t see how Sony’s VR tech will bring 60 frames per second in 3D unless they are going to make games that look like a launch PS3 games. Lol

#5 1 year ago
  6. Asgaro

Day one.

Also,
    PC + Oculus Rift = true next gen.
    PS4 and Xbox One = fake next gen.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

^ It’s not fake next gen. It’s just an AMD fad with a clumsy gamepad.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Fin

and shitty sub hd call of halo shitbox makes your eyes bleed

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

Works best with Steambox! Lol!

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

No really, it’s a tragedy. In five years this console gen will feel outdated. I will probably invest in a steam machine and I can’t wait to see what they have in store. I can wait with the consoles. Nothing out there that makes me want to grab them anyhow.

Okulus Rift will be a big thing, imo. I want to be there when it happens. Doesn’t matter if I need a PC, Mac, Steammachine or what ever. I will throw my money at it. Until then I’m backlogging this gen for cheap!

#10 1 year ago
  11. yeoung

I very much believe VR to be the next revolutionary step in gaming. Beyond still lie effective BMIs and commercial body integration suits. Though a PS4 will definitely find a way into my home, for MP with friends, PS Plus and various other reasons, I am looking into building a gaming rig for the first time. One that will make my inner geek weep at the very sight of it.

Honestly I can’t wait for any of it to start.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@10 Careful there, you’re gonna make someone feel insecure ;)

I think you’re right though. Dunno about the Rift specifically, they’re gonna need a way to stop peoples eyes from hurting and keep their stomaches from churning. And even then I’m not sure it’s a platform seller per se.

The thing that gets me about this gen is that the PC has never stood stronger compared to the new boxes. The power of an upper mid-range rig is well past that of a new console, and it’s gonna be well past twice that within the next 4 years.

Add to that the fact that most people are packing SSDs, and you actually have a PC that starts and runs faster than a console ever could, even with sloppy ol’ Windows chugging the resources.

Microsoft and Sony have really gimped themselves by trying to create a digital platform based on 500GBs worth of HDD space. I really don’t see the logic there.

None of that is really the challenge though. The price is still high, and people are incredibly fond of their consoles. It’s a culture onto itself, and I don’t think anyone is gonna jump the fence unless there’s a better offer on the other side. That usually means impressive games, and right now we don’t even have Madden, or GTA V for that matter.

Personally I think consoles are heading in the other direction though, just getting a lot less attractive as a whole. I was looking forward to expanded capabilities, but instead they’re taking steps backwards and removing stuff like media centers, purely so they can charge people for their own monetized services.

Milk dem cows, yo. I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of poetic justice in that regard.

#12 1 year ago
  13. xino

bloody pc gamers getting jealous…
    please go pump up your £10000 rig with 60gb ram so it can run COD Ghost 2:)

lol at the Tenga.
    isn’t that guy bored of the moving thing going up n down?

#13 1 year ago
  14. sebastien rivas

I hope so!

I don;t like saying this but I truly don’t think ti is going to take 5 years to feel it outdated.

Me too ;)

Unfortunately yes I agree with you, yet, there is hope to wake up and challenge FOR I WON’T BE MILKED ;)

#14 1 year ago
  15. Cobra951

What a great excuse! It’s almost up there with Steve Martin’s “I forgot!” If anyone asks why I didn’t support something, I’ll say the hardware is too feeble for my awesome tech.

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

X1 couldn’t use this anyway, cos then Kinect couldn’t spy on your face!

Trololololol

#16 1 year ago
  17. xxJPRACERxx

@15 He’s right though. Just read Carmack about how even 60 fps is not enough for VR and it really need 120 fps to feel comfortable. Do you think a PS4/X1 can drive two screens at HD+ resolution at 120 fps each?

Also, G-Sync form nVidia is a godsend for VR.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Virginityrocks

I don’t know what some of you mean by “awesome tech”. The xbox one and PS4 are already out of date. My PC from 3 years ago is already better than this. Honestly. A system that can barely handle 1080p @ 60 fps is a fucking joke.

#18 1 year ago
  19. junguler

i don’t have any interest in this virtual reality bullshit. nor in kinect and ps move, just give me the controller and a good game to play and don’t waste my time on these stupid shit.

#19 1 year ago
  20. archaven

Quite delighted reading some of the sensible reasons from the users in VG. Unlike some blinded console elitist that consistently throw tantrums on PC gamers whenever an exclusive come to the PC.

The reason i like PC because it’s an open platform. I can do everything on it, my spreadsheet, my documents/letter and resume, printing stuff, facebooking, twitter, emails, web surfing, participating in forum discussions, music, movies and of course PC gaming. What’s more i can even play PC games with a controller!

I’m no console hater. In fact if anything, i’ll be forced to get a console just to play the exclusive titles. If not for these corporate giants holding these titles on their consoles, i see that they’ll sell peanuts.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ctankep

They’re aiming for 4K display ., 120Hz refresh for consumer product.
    Tegra 5 Kepler [ then 6 w/ Maxwell ] will blow past PS4 GFLOPs an’
    Carmack sees this whereas rest o’ industry is fixated on console specs
    which were either: 2 -years too late / 1 -year too early to make th’ most
    from performance envelope gains in fabrication.

Throw in OLED screens with negligable refresh then VR becomes
    CPU / GPU -limited with regard to response times ., latency. Palmer an’
    his engineers made sure there was headroom for faster displays using
    a 1000Hz tracker so you don’t want to choke performance at any point.
    SCEE will do their own thing.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Kreion

RIght, let’s end this stupidness now. To you, and all other PC gamers: yes the PC is more powerful, etc,etc, but you are not allowed to used next-gen to describe it. The PC has no generations, it is one continuous, constantly updated, ever improving, device. It only has generations in the sense that games increase depth when new game engines come out. Or when Nvidea or AMD start a new range of cards – but since that’s not referred to as the new gen, you can’t just use the word incorrectly.

Yes, that’s what irritates me about PC elitists -.-

Other than that I think the creator is largely correct, if a bit unwilling to try and make it useable by next gen systems.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

Considering this device is going to me a monumental flop once every realises the inconvenience of constant nausea and dizziness isn’t worth the vaguely novel idea of head movement, nothing of value is being lost here.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Dave Cook

@23 That’ll only be the case with some though won’t it? Or is it deemed a wide-spread problem?

It made me sick, but then again I get car sick so that’s no surprise. 3D is the same.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@24 I’ve yet to see a *single* person demo the device and not feel some sort of problem. Some *while* using it.

The cause of this sort of thing is complete unavoidable. The human eye simply isn’t designed to function under those sort of circumstances. Dizziness, headaches and nausea will occur in pretty much everyone.

They constantly talk about how they’re “working to reduce the problem”, but it simply isn’t possible. Replicating vision, especially in an enclosed space, will always cause these issues. It might be more or less prominent in some people, but why would any want to constantly deal with those sort of sensations when they could just sit on the couch?

The moment reviews go live and everyone start reporting about the frustrating side effects, this thing is dead in the water. I can put my money on that.

#25 1 year ago
  26. viralshag

I don’t really see any future in this tech, 3D 2.0.

Sure the PC gaming scene is more powerful but only a handful of the most dedicated PC gamers will move with the tech every time. When you spend £200-300 on a graphics card alone, you expect that to last you some time.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DrDamn

I’ve had feedback from a fair number of friends who’ve tried it. The experience is very much – wow this is great tech, exciting, but like you said every one of them has also said they had some nausea/dizziness too.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Ireland Michael

@27 Don’t get me wrong, I think the tech in itself is a cool (but ultimately novel) idea. The question is… are the side effects worth it!

I personally don’t think they are.

#28 1 year ago
  29. DrDamn

Yeah I understood what you meant. It doesn’t matter how cool it is – I’d love to try it myself – if it affects the majority of users with sickness problems.

#29 1 year ago