PS4 most powerful console created, learned from PS3′s “rough patch” – Cerny

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 09:17 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 architect Mark Cerny has discussed how PS3′s “rough patch” helped Sony fashion a better, more accessible console for developers and consumers alike.

The interview was conducted at he same New York event that saw the PS4 interface detailed in a new video. Watch it through the link.

Speaking with Polygon at the event, “PlayStation 2 went very well. I mean we were … our market share was 75% maybe, and then PlayStation 3 really hit a rough patch and a lot of that had to do with – on the consumer side – of the console being so expensive. So we had this goal with PlayStation 4 that we’d be a much more affordable console than PlayStation 3.

“But on the developer side, PlayStation 3 had a reputation for being very hard to work with. I mean I knew that, I worked on a launch title, and so we wanted to make sure that PlayStation 4 would be smooth sailing, that it would be the sort of thing where you wouldn’t have to learn every detail of the hardware, in order to make a game. That it could be much more about the vision of the director of the title.”

When asked if shifting to a common architecture to PC and Xbox One would take some of Sony’s power away, Cerny replied, “PlayStation 4 is the most powerful video game console ever created, so I think we’ve managed to find that middle ground between the power and that accessibility.”

Elsewhere, Cerny stressed that a paradigm of gaming has shifted, and that players now have a six-month to a year relationship with titles through DLC and other means. He also teased a “tremendous evolution” in PlayStation 4 across the incoming cycle.

Are you excited for PS4? Are you getting one at launch? Let us know below.

PS4 launches November 15 and November 29 in the US and UK/Europe respectively.

1. Nam3M3King

“PlayStation 4 is the most powerful video game console ever created”

Steam box said wait before justifying that statement

#1 9 months ago
  2. Hyperx64

Great to see PlayStation back in the game. Batter up!

#2 9 months ago
  3. Gekidami

Steambox isnt a console though, its a computer. Or more to the point, they are computers.

#3 9 months ago
  4. undermyrules

steambox says hi….

#4 9 months ago
  5. KAP

Also steambox price says hi too!

#5 9 months ago
  6. kingofscotland

@2 Yup – don’t ever recall Steam saying they are releasing a ‘console’ just a bespoke overpriced PC’s with Big Picture Mode – you know, like you can do already!!

#6 9 months ago
  7. DBGT

@1 +1
    @2 @4 also PS4 use PC components

#7 9 months ago
  8. Gekidami

So people actually think Steamboxes are consoles? Wow. So what does that make a current Windows running PC when the person owning it decides to download Steam OS?

Yeah, no, sorry. Steamboxes are micro PCs (which already currently exist) with Steam OS pre packed. They arent consoles.

Therefore PS4s are PCs?

#8 9 months ago
  9. undermyrules

steam box is not a console? hahahaah buthurt sony and m$ fanboys.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Gekidami

^ Seems the PC fanboys are butthurt here. Of course i dont know why, because if Steamboxes are indeed consoles then they arent PC’s. Hey, guess what? Thats means that consoles win.

Nice of you to develop your dumb logic though, just insulting people really hammers your point home, idiot.

#10 9 months ago
  11. FabioPal

@2 Well, to some extents, also the PS4 is a(n under-powered) computer.

Not saying that the steambox is a console either, just pointing out that, hardware wise, the differences between the new “consoles” and the PC on which I’m writing are negligible.

#11 9 months ago
  12. tatsujin

What exclusive games does Steambox have? I’m curious. Because that little piece of junk is an overpriced PC. PS4, XB1 and Wii U are all REAL consoles that have their own games developed specifically for them.

All I can tell from these posts is one thing – People who call Steambox a “console” are delusional and uneducated.

Steambox should be called Shitbox from now on.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@11 Valve confirmed it will not make or publish SteamOS-exclusive games last week.

#13 9 months ago
  14. indy123

hello everyone.. my first post here in 3 years..! :P

#14 9 months ago
  15. xxJPRACERxx

I just hope the PS4 will be replace in 5 to 6 years. I mean, it’s already way behind in power to what’s available on the market. If they prefer low-cost/low-power console I can’t see how this could compete in a 8+ years plan.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Citrus raptor

Just to be clear, what’s the definition of a ‘console’?

I see a lot of yes vs no, but no one offers any actual arguments.

#16 9 months ago
  17. junguler

i have a great respect for this guy. he knows his stuff and didn’t try to feed us false information like his competition. i feel i can trust him to deliver what he promised to us gamers.

#17 9 months ago
  18. undermyrules

@gekidami give me the crack you are smoking…to be buthhurt is to be defeated at something so pc fanboys are never buthurt …pc is superiour everytime i every console gen aka pc always wins..cheers fanboy

#18 9 months ago
  19. Nam3M3King

Isn’t a console something you plug into your tv & play. A PC is a console, it isn’t called a console cause PC does more than just play games (I know ps/xb consoles do the same) but PC couldn’t be renamed to cater for games only. If that makes sense lol

#19 9 months ago
  20. zoopdeloop

@17 by your definition they are from time to time…so many games that don’t come over to PC and so many petitions and tears

#20 9 months ago
  21. VibraniumSpork

Obligatory: http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/490/786/6e7.gif

#21 9 months ago
  22. undermyrules

^ +1 thats something that console players never understand because they are 720p limited in thier minds

#22 9 months ago
  23. Gekidami

Another PC fanboy proves to be a total crack pot.

Ladies and gentlemen : PC gamers.

#23 9 months ago
  24. spoffle

I am a PC gamer. Steam boxes are not consoles.

#24 9 months ago
  25. gamefreak2000

Hey. On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know how much it will cost if someone else in the U.S. buys it and brings it for me as a gift in India. Because I am pretty sure the console ain’t gonna cost as cheap as in the U.S. Please, all input will be appreciated.

#25 9 months ago
  26. spoffle

@24, do you have any sort of import tax in India?

If so, whatever the US price of the PS4 is plus the Indian import tax assuming the person bringing it declares it to the Indian customs.

#26 9 months ago
  27. gamefreak2000

@25, do you have any knowledge about Playstation warranty? Is it global warranty for the ps4 or is it only for the particular country? Thanks for answering my questions.

#27 9 months ago
  28. TheBlackHole

A console is simply games hardware under the telly with a controller, designed for playing games (primarily). Now that consoles do a lot more than play games, calling them consoles is becoming increasingly problematic.

Console as a term won’t mean anything in ten years, and in fact doesn’t mean much now. Console, media box, PC, they’re all interchangeable. You can upgrade an element of the PS4, you can upgrade your steambox, you can upgrade your PC.

Steambox is a console, in the current sense of the word. It’s very much a hybrid in that it can run desktop features more like a PC, but then how long o you think it will be before Xbox One gets Micrsoft 365 with Keyboard and Mouse support?

So no, Sony will not have the most powerful ‘console’ for long.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Obernox

It’s a box with a controller that connects to a tv, seems like a console to me :/

#29 9 months ago
  30. Dragon

@24,
    First of all, you will not get any warranties, and neither can you get a console at a discounted price (by replacing an out of warranty console) if you import.
    If the person carries it with him, no taxes.

If sent as a gift, it depends. It also depends on which state you are, since separate state taxes would then apply.

In any case, if going to be sent by cargo, you can buy it from PlayAsia.

#30 9 months ago
  31. gamefreak2000

@29, My relative is gonna get the console. So does that mean no import tax? I saw stuff somewhere saying no VAT for PS4 if it is imported. Thanks for your answers. If the PS4 crashes, there will be no warranty? I am talking about getting a new console, if that is what you mean to say by ‘by replacing the out of warranty console’. And yes, when the PS3 released in India, it costed about 2 times more than that of U.S., so if there are lesser taxes, it is pretty much discounted for me.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Dragon

@30,
    VAT is for stuff with local bills.

Either way, if its going to be in passenger luggage, there isn’t much to be worried about. While theoretically the person could still be taxed, it wont happen. Airports are too busy for that.

In other words, with a person carrying it, your PS4 import is safe.

And remember, no warranties.

#32 9 months ago
  33. gamefreak2000

@31, That is the best thing I have heard till now!! If my PS4 will cost me just $399 instead of what could be roughly $520-$550 in India, I will definitely get it from the U.S. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate this.

#33 9 months ago
  34. Erthazus

@7, “Therefore PS4s are PCs?”

Yes. cheap PC’s according to the hardware that was already shown. A chinese knock-off inside the hardware with cheap hardware that is hillarious even today.

Enjoy Battlefield 4 on launch in 720p and medium settings.

#34 9 months ago
  35. TheBlackHole

Battlefield runs at 900p on PS4, not 720p. It’s output at 1080p too, although not natively of course.

And it doesn’t run on ‘medium’ settings either, but carry on… I’m sure you’ll say something useful eventually.

#35 9 months ago
  36. spoffle

@26, I am unsure of the warranty status so I couldn’t give any advice on that.

@28 the reason I say it’s not a console is because the Steam box does not strictly adhere to a fixed hardware spec, so doesn’t have the advantage of having games made specifically for the hardware it’s running.

I don’t actually *care* what the terminology is in a practical sense, I have a games PC under my TV, I have a PS3 next to that PC, and it will be joined some time in the future by a PS4 and then I have a high end games/productivity PC on my desk for work and playing games at 7680×1440.

I simply enjoy games and I don’t care in a practical sense whether I’m playing on a console or a PC, my PC under the TV is very similar to a console, I even have a PS3 controller hooked up to it and play games via Steam big picture mode for that “console experience”, just that my point is my view is that a console’s computational hardware is fixed.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Obernox

I just feel comfortable calling it a console honestly :)

#37 9 months ago
  38. Dragon

@32,
    Tell whoever the person to bringing it to be a bit clever and pack it so that he could say its not a gift but a personal belonging.

And also, not only you wont have warranties (no global warranties), you also need separate adaptors since current rating is different in both countries, although you could get the adaptor easily.

#38 9 months ago
  39. gamefreak2000

Why are people fighting that a PC is better than a console?? Yes, it is, but why fight about it. People will get what they want, not what they hear on websites. Otherwise there would not have been some 250 million people who bought the last gen of consoles. End of Story. PC gamers enjoy games and console gamers also enjoy games. So why whine about it that ‘You get better resolution on the PC bla bla bla’. Just calm down and enjoy your games

#39 9 months ago
  40. Fin

I can run BF4 at 3840*2160 at 120fps on Ultra settings.

Anything lower causes my eyes to bleed. Seriously.

#40 9 months ago
  41. gamefreak2000

@37, I don’t need to worry about adaptors. I just wanna know that if any guy in the U.S. buys the PS4, will he have warranty… and will it become invalid if the PS4 is taken to some other country… Thanks for your interest in this issue of mine.

#41 9 months ago
  42. FabioPal

@38 “why fighting”?

Sir, I welcome you to the internet.

#42 9 months ago
  43. Dragon

@40,
    As I said earlier, no warranty.
    Except that, you should be fine.

#43 9 months ago
  44. spoffle

@38, PCs ARE better than consoles for gaming, it’s a fact. It doesn’t actually matter though, I enjoy PCs AND consoles, there are plenty of games on consoles that just aren’t available on PC, this is why I have a PS3.

#44 9 months ago
  45. gamefreak2000

@41, Nice, ha! ha! ha!. But seriously, nobody can change other people’s mind so easily. The console/PC war is like a war between who likes Chocolate ice cream and who likes Vanilla ice cream!

#45 9 months ago
  46. gamefreak2000

@42, Ok, I am going to see if the PS4 really has a lot of issues. I don’t think so, but if it will then I’ll have to find another way.

#46 9 months ago
  47. FabioPal

Vanilla owns Chocolate all day long.

Chocolate fanboys are the worst!

;)

#47 9 months ago
  48. gamefreak2000

@43, Yup, just mentioned it in my second sentence that PC’s are better but why argue about it, many people enjoy exclusives on consoles while some simply don’t like playing with the keyboard and mouse. That is why they like the consoles.

#48 9 months ago
  49. Gekidami

^ Its funny how you list the pros and cons of each, say that different people like different things all the whilst stating that your opinion of PCs being better is a fact.

#49 9 months ago
  50. gamefreak2000

@46, Ha! That is your opinion! There might be a million people stating that chocolate ice cream has better taste!! This is what is going on on the internet: ‘PC is always next gen bla bla’ ‘Yeah, but I’d rather enjoy GTA:5, Oh, wait PC doesn’t have it! bla bla’

#50 9 months ago
  51. Erthazus

@49, because it is a fact. It is the most obvious fact. It’s not a computer science.

Next time cry me a river and say that 720p is better then 1080p or 2560×1660 resolution or that gamepad is better then mouse and keyboard in Dota2 or Heroes of the storm or any other shooter, RTS and stuff.
    Tell me that changing hardware is BAD!11 but changing hard drive is good! Or tell me how PS4 half assed OS is better then Windows 98 OS

Cry me a river. Console wars aka toys wars are always funny.

#51 9 months ago
  52. gamefreak2000

@48, Yes, I am neutral towards these console vs PC wars. But seriously, a good gaming PC is any day better than PS4 or Xbox One or any other console. PC’s are upgrade-able. Yes, I know all that, but people buying consoles or the ones who sell them aren’t morons! They have their own reasons! As I said consoles are for: exclusives, controllers, a vast gaming community, more family-friendly gaming and so on

#52 9 months ago
  53. Gekidami

“Yes, I am neutral towards these console vs PC wars.”

“But seriously, a good gaming PC is any day better than PS4 or Xbox One or any other console.”

Its like you dont know what words mean.

#53 9 months ago
  54. gamefreak2000

@50, I am neutral towards these things. But if you think consoles are not worth the money, just forget about them. As, I said earlier, I admit that PC is much more powerful, I never said that changing hardware is bad, but… there is a reason for everything. Consoles are also pretty cheap, which attracts the casual gamer, not the hardcore gamer. There are a thousand more reasons for why you should have a PC or a Console… So let’s just stop waging wars on the internet about them.

#54 9 months ago
  55. gamefreak2000

@52, If you want to choose sides and argue that any one of these is better, I am not going to do so. I think that you can just take any ready made PC available and compare it to the next gen consoles, especially the PS4. Result? PS4 Wins! But the thing is, you need to understand, consoles give a platform for people who don’t care about hardware and changing graphic card etc. to get a system that will not be outdated for at least 7 to 8 years. I am one of those people who does not care about changing the hardware. So, I’ll get a console. Meanwhile, you, who really knows and does care about the hardware, will get a PC. We will both play games. We will both be gamers. So, any reason that I should get a PC and not a console or vice-versa?

#55 9 months ago
  56. spoffle

@47 You can use whatever controller you want on a PC. I have a PS3 controller hooked up to my PC under the TV, I have the option to use a controller or a keyboard and a mouse.

As for arguing about it, it doesn’t *have* to be an argument, the argument usually comes about when people start spouting ignorance.

@48, PCs are better, it’s a fact, whether that matters is subjective. If you look at it in the context that PCs are more versatile, you have a lot of choice, you have graphics options and so on, but as before, whether that matters and how much it does matter is down to the individual.

#56 9 months ago
  57. gamefreak2000

@55, Look at what I mentioned later… Many things matter, not just one thing that I mentioned.

#57 9 months ago
  58. spoffle

@52, that’s amusing, you claim he doesn’t know what words mean but it’s you that doesn’t know what the words mean.

Neutral doesn’t mean you can’t acknowledge one is better than the other.

But being neutral is not pretending everything is equal and refusing to see things for how they are. It seems like you have got “ignorance” confused with being neutral.

#58 9 months ago
  59. gamefreak2000

@57, I said I am neutral, I mentioned pros and cons of both, the PC and the console, I also mentioned PC is more powerful. The thing that you said “I am neutral, I enjoy games, but I acknowledge that PCs have the advantage unless you’re talking console exclusives, then any advantage doesn’t matter.” is somewhat what I mean to say.

#59 9 months ago
  60. spoffle

@56 I don’t think many things do matter, it’s quite a small selection of things really.

The controller argument is a moot point as the option is available, I was simply responding to your suggestion that people prefer consoles because of controllers, which is never a valid argument.

The advantages a console has is convenience, you don’t have to fuss as much as you sometimes do with a PC, though that is changing with regular game and OS patches with consoles, but convenience is still a factor in that you don’t have to configure your game, which is fair enough.

Exclusives are the second, any differences are moot if the games you’re talking about aren’t available on PC.

Outside of those 2, you can set up a PC to give you a very console-like experience, so as above any other points are moot. There shouldn’t really be any argument as that about covers it.

When you see argument, it’s usually ignorant folk making claims they’ve pulled out of their arse.

#60 9 months ago
  61. gamefreak2000

@59 I said stuff about changing hardware instead of software, which makes it up for convenience. Now, please read what I said in earlier comments…

#61 9 months ago
  62. gamefreak2000

@59, Also, the T.V. experience. You may argue you can use HDMI cables but the fact is… The C.P.U. of the gaming P.C. is not exactly meant for the living room. You know, the C.P.U. is pretty huge and you also need to make the whole setup. Sure, most P.C. gamers will say it is easy, but you do realize many people are not interested in doing that. Also, the gaming P.C. costs quite a lot. Though the games are cheap, no one likes to pay $800 to $1000 all at once. Plus, if you change one component to update your P.C., for example your Graphic Card, GPU or something, you will have to change other stuff like cooling mechanism, as the powerful GPU’s tend to heat more. Also, the main processor will not be powerful enough for the GPU so you’ll have to get a new one and so on. Some people like me would rather game at a lower resolution rather than to get into this mess. Again, because of all these upgrades, the P.C. becomes powerful.

#62 9 months ago
  63. spoffle

@61 when you say CPU, you mean computer. I have a computer connected to my TV next to my PS3. You can get the “TV experience” no problem with a PC.

I spent nowhere near $800, never mind $1000 on the PC underneath my TV. You DO NOT need a PC that expensive to play games.

You do NOT need to change things around just because you’ve upgraded your GPU. A new GPU does not necessarily put out more heat just because it’s new.

You do NOT need to update your CPU because you’ve upgraded your graphics card.

You are describing situations that *could* happen, not ones that will, and for the most part the situations you have described do not happen if you choose the right parts in the first place.

#63 9 months ago
  64. monkeygourmet

This is all media rubbish…

We all know what Cerny’s really like:

#64 9 months ago
  65. Super Girevik

I like to think of the Steam Machine as the world’s most flexible and quite possibly, the most powerful console being developed.

The discussion shouldn’t be about whether or not the Steam Machine will be a console, it should be about the differences between a closed and open system.

The modern console (Xbox One and Playstation 4):
    - Buy game
    - Install game
    - Play on TV
    - Play with gamepad

Steam Machine
    - Buy game
    - Install game
    - Play on TV
    - Play with gamepad

Differences? Closed consoles do not allow you to change any component other than the hard drive and have games optimized for it’s fixed hardware.

#65 9 months ago
  66. majicship

“Are you excited for PS4? Are you getting one at launch? Let us know below.” Err… has anybody actually answered this yet? Oh, hang on, I am getting one. Anybody else?

#66 9 months ago
  67. Lv01

@65 +1!!!!!
    i will be too. and im very excited!

#67 9 months ago
  68. spoffle

@65, It’s probably because excited for = excited on behalf of. So no, I’m not excited “for” PS4, I am certainly excited about them though.

#68 9 months ago
  69. Cobra951

@59: “any differences are moot if the games you’re talking about aren’t available on PC. ”

Right. Before I read that part, it’s close to what I was planning on posting. PCs, with their constant tech updates, are almost always well ahead of consoles technically. But as a gaming platform, the PC suffers to them. Apples and oranges. Best to stop comparing against each other, and just look for the best apples and the best oranges.

I find it refreshing that Cerny himself acknowledges the issues that PS3 customers (and prospective ones) grappled with for the past 6+ years. Too expensive, too many technical issues in games because of the brutal architecture. Those hopefully go away with the PS4.

#69 9 months ago
  70. Panthro

You guys really don’t give up with this gaming platform vs gaming platform shit do you?

Well guess what; My dick is bigger than all of yours severed off and sellotaped together into one big penis centipede.

I win.

#70 9 months ago
  71. Nephilimator

PC gamers are mad they can’t get any new looking games until new consoles comes out because other then the witcher the only games a PC gets are console ports. So now with new consoles launching PC gamers can run non exclusive console games at higher resolutions better details and higher frame rates but still will always be held back by the fact nobody makes PC exclusives that would actually require a titan because only 1% of the population could buy it. PC gamers just get left over console scraps. They should be most excited about these new consoles launching.

#71 9 months ago
  72. Neroist

@70 There are 10 times the exclusives on PC than on consoles combined my friend.

#72 9 months ago
  73. Fin

I like games.

#73 9 months ago
  74. Panthro

The PC gets plenty of good exclusives, but there are mostly games which only PC gamers tend to like/ would only work on PC

Usually Simulator, RTS, other strategy types, experimental indie, role playing etc.

There are plenty of fantastic looking PC exclusives, sure the PC gets plenty of console ports but that’s hardly a drawback, I am looking forward to some of the ports though, and the only reason somee of the ports are considered ‘left over scrap’ id the laziness of said developer.

Arma III
    Starcraft
    Amnesia
    Outlast
    X rebirth
    Star Citizen
    Planetside 2 (was exclusive, now being PORTED to consoles)
    Hawken (was exclusive, now being PORTED to consoles)
    Planetary Annihilation
    Warface (was exclusive, now being PORTED to consoles)
    Warframe
    World of Warplanes

Just off the top of my head there are plenty of good looking ‘pretty’ PC games which if were ported to the new consoles wouldn’t look out of place in terms of visuals.

BTW, how pretty a game looks isn’t what makes a game and if your a console gamer you should know that more than anybody.

And why are you mentioning a titan? hardly anybody owns a titan haha, and the people who do don’t expect the games to use it to its full potential but expect it to last them a long time. You don’t need a titan to max out games yet.

And I have no idea where you got the idea that ‘PC gamers just get left over console scraps’ There have been only a few console ports out there that I have played which have shocked me due to unplayability, but the same can be said about the consoles to since I have also played bad ports of games on those.

BF3 on PS3
    Fable III on 360
    Skyrim on PS3
    Bayonetta on PS3

Off the top of my head that is ^ to think that PC is the only platform to receive bad ports of games is ludicrous.

Just my input.

#74 9 months ago
  75. gamefreak2000

@69 and @72, You have succeeded in gaining true knowledge about being sensible my friends. @69, you just said what I wanted to say in one comment(of course, in a lot more rude manner with a lot of unnecessary mention about genitalia!). This is how you all should be, instead of crying about which one is better. Lets all go and enjoy our games! In the end of the day, console gamers and P.C. gamers both are gamers and both like games. So go and play instead of wasting your time arguing about this stupid gaming platform vs gaming platform stuff!!

#75 9 months ago
  76. Ragnarokdel

@71 the PS4 and Xbox One are using 2 years old gear for PC, of course it costs less. The performances are also that of budget PCs from 2 years ago. but hey enjoy your console while I game on my 4k monitor. for 700 $ you can get a pc that will blow a PS4/Xbox out of the water.

#76 8 months ago
  77. Phoenixblight

You will enjoy all the games that are ported to PC and usually crappy ports but hey it will be pretty right?

#77 8 months ago
  78. polygem

i enjoy my ps4 but i really do not care about graphics AT ALL. i realised this yet again. while bf4 looks sweet on the ps4 i do not enjoy it as much as bfbc2 on the 360. not a fan of the 64 vs 64 games either. waaaay too chaotic. i must play this more but for now it feels like a broken gamedesign too me :) the flow of the game is hurt by adding more players imo.

i always thought halo reach or resistance are more sexy and fun than killzone or other graphical reference shooters. graphics mean shit.

#78 8 months ago