PlayStation 4 launches with limited voice command functionality, more to be added over time

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 15:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PlayStation 4 will launch with limited voice command functionality, Sony has confirmed; however, more functionality will be released over time.

Speaking with Engadget, Sony confirmed that the PlayStation Camera can not be used to turn the console on with voice at launch, but users will be able to turn the system off and open games. Facial recognition will also be limited at launch and can only be used for logging in.

Third-party apps will not controlled through voice at lunch, and gesture integration will not be available either.

The Sony representative confirmed that more voice commands would be added post launch and gesture functionality will be added at a future date. No release window for either was provided.

PS4 launches in North America on November 15 and in Europe on November 29.

1. VibraniumSpork

The feature I’m mainly looking forward to with the camera (though the above sounds promising) is one that’s been shown on a few Killzone Multiplayer demos but not talked about in much detail.

The camera appears to locate your/your team mate’s face and show it in real-time video on the top right of the screen; so squad play with Facetime, basically. Not a killer feature by any means but looks neat all the same. Have you ever come across any fixed details on that Steph?

#1 12 months ago
  2. ddtd

That KZ feature actual sounds really cool if true.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Doppleganger

Sony needs to stop talking about their games and features of the console and just flash numbers in front of people and more commercials that have no in game footage and have nothing to do with anything as thats what seems to grab the children to buy the console.
    Im sorry thats all they have for them, this thing is a ferrari thats parked in a muddy off road mountain.

#3 12 months ago
  4. gomersoul

I would like a cam similar to racing games where it takes a pic when you beat a time. So when you kill someone you get a smug face sent to your enemies. But the voice commands are a gimmick, no one likes talking to answering machines so a console will be no different. I just feel like an idiot speaking to a machine, buttons are much more my cup of tea

#4 12 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@2 The first time I spotted it was during the Gamescon announcement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCkC6NGkS0Y

From 21:51 you can definitely see what appears to be a video-chat mechanic in play on the top-right corner of the screen. I’ve seen it used a couple of times since in on-screen footage but find it impossible to find any concrete info on it. I agree though, seems like a neat idea!

#5 12 months ago
  6. onlineatron

that’s live streaming. you’re able to put your camera feed on screen while streaming out over twitch/ustream

#6 12 months ago
  7. Nephilimator

Just drop the camera all together. Focus on what matters. Really good games.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Sadismek

The first mistake they did was choosing not to bundle it with every PS4 unit, thus making it optional. Basically, Sony just shot themselves in the foot, killing this thing while it was still in infancy.

#8 12 months ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

@6 A-ha! Though I guess you *could* use it as a Facetime-like feature for clan mates in an MP game then (on BF4 etc.)? Hope so…that’d be awesome.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Luciferous

@8 Not really, they recognised that it isn’t a necessity as it stands, but could benefit from not including it by lowering the entry price to the console. As they develop it’s function in the future there may come a time when a killer app appears that uses it… I have it in my bundle and i am looking forward to messing around with Playroom and streaming some horror games with my mush in the corner looking scared/bewildered/happy… turned on and all the other things my face can show… Plus people need to keep track of my luxurious beard.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Sadismek

@10 Oh, didn’t deny that, I get the reasons why they did that. But if they wanted this to be a contender for Kinect… it would’ve been better if they focused on other viable things and didn’t bother spending money on something you’ll use once and leave it to gather dust. But that’s me, if you think it’s fun and all, ’tis great!

#11 12 months ago
  12. gomersoul

The best thing they did was not including the camera, let people choose to have it, developers won’t suddenly think it’s the best thing ever because you have it. Most realise it’s a gimmick few will actually use/care about. and now Kinect is no longer required on xbone then it defeats the purpose of bundling it with every console anyway. I know if I was getting an Xbox I’d just leave it gathering dust with my Wii

#12 12 months ago
  13. Deacon

@11 sure. I get ya. like all those current-gen Kinects. Still being used regularly. None of those are gathering dust. Nope. Not at all.

Optional is the way to go. For now at least.

#13 12 months ago