Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Monolith is latest Lord of the Rings title

Tuesday, 12th November 2013 16:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Monolith Productions is the latest game in the Lord of the Rings franchise from publisher Warner Bros. and the game graces the December issue of Game Informer.

The game is in development for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One and according to Game Informer, “offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.”

In it, players control a ranger by the name of Talion as he travels to Mordor, but long before it turned into the wasteland it was in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Talion’s family was murdered at the hands of Sauron and his army the night they return to Mordor.

Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Players will “shape their own story” as the game progresses, and it contains a feature called the Nemesis System.

This system “assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.”

Warner said in the press release that “players will experience a unique game every time as the dynamic world reacts and adapts to their choices.”

Back in August, it was revealed that a new triple-A Lord of the Rings title was the works at Monolith Productions as early as December 2012 and January 2013 through storyboard work produced by an artist on the game.

The team at Monolirth has collaborated with Middle-earth Enterprises, Peter Jackson and the artists at Weta Workshop to ensure that the settings, characters and story align authentically within canon.

A release window was not provided.

1. SplatteredHouse

A Monolith LOTR…Could be interesting. I’d like to see some art from this soon, to see where they’re taking their influence from. Trailer = VGAs?

#1 5 months ago
  2. Dark

Please be good.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Luciano666

Xbox 250? LOL

#3 5 months ago
  4. Edo

@3 Yeah what the hell :) @2 Open world?Color me intrigued..

#4 5 months ago
  5. fihar

So this is going to be an action-RPG then I presume?

I’m not sure why would anyone would let an ingame enemy survive a battle encounter though.

#5 5 months ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

HahahhahahahHhahhhahaa xbox 250. So funny.

Also I really hope this doesn’t suck :-(.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Max Payne

1. Monolith studio
    2. Open World
    3. Not directly tied to any movie ( cash in)
    There is big chance this will be fantastic.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 :/ It was breaking news – almost like a live blog. It’s fixed now. :/

#8 5 months ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@8, I’m only joking, it’s an easy mistake to make lol. :)

#9 5 months ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

@10 Well I yelled at my fingers at any rate. They apologized and are acting better now.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Sadismek

Monolith are easily one of my favorite underdog developers. They screwed up Gotham City Impostors but damn… what a game that would’ve been if they didn’t, haha :D!

In all seriousness, I’ve been waiting for a good LotR RPG for ages. The last one I played was the movie tie-in and it didn’t strike me as marvelous.

#11 5 months ago
  12. DSB

You guys still have faith in Monolith? Really?

After FEAR 2, Gotham City Impostors and that mediocre MOBA, I’m kinda off that whole train.

Up until Condemned I would’ve played anything they did, but now it just seems like they’ve totally let it fall apart.

Gotham City Impostors was one of the best ideas for a shooter in ages, but that just makes it even worse that they messed it up.

#12 5 months ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

@12 “After…Gotham City Impostors and that mediocre MOBA”
    Both of which were reliant on community retention – any lack of which, at least in part blame lays at the publisher’s feet.

I played GCI, though not to any great depth, and found it to be good at what it was seeking to offer, mechanically speaking. My impression of Guardians of Middle Earth is of a similar situation. Although it released on Steam fairly recently (I didn’t follow its fortunes on 360), again, the business model turned out to be the thorn putting a lot of otherwise curious would-be players off.

People wanted to know why this limiting, gating pack setup was in play, if WB/M had any real intention of competing with Guardians, in that busy MOBA space…I’m not sure the complaint was ever answered.
    I don’t consider the GAMES to have been at fault in those cases; and, what was produced was (in the case of Impostors, and gave all impression of being, for Guardians) of HIGH quality.

#13 5 months ago
  14. EdgizAwesome

Hope this will be like LOTR Conquest except a million times better

#14 5 months ago
  15. Hunam

FEAR 2 was sublime! You wash your mouth out young man!

#15 5 months ago
  16. DSB

@13 It was just very poorly realized.

They hadn’t done any polish, the online didn’t work, they loaded it with two different logins, one of which was apparently just promotional and intended for “leaderboards” functionality, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

The different body types didn’t compliment eachother, and the weapons weren’t balanced either. Of course the broken online scared most people away, but I think balance makes or breaks a shooter down the line. If you’re gonna spend any real amount of time on a shooter, then you’re gonna notice every little flaw, and that’s why tight design is so important.

It was a great proof of concept, and someone really should make that game properly. But obviously it was too tall an order for Monolith. It could’ve been the next TF2 in my opinion.

@15 I guess it would’ve been an average enough shooter if it hadn’t been a FEAR game. It never even came close to being scary, and the AI seemed to have gotten a lot dumber with the move to consoles.

“Let’s make a horror game and fill it full of bright neon colored effects”. Come on now! And the mechs? What were they thinking?

#16 5 months ago
  17. yeoung

@5: Imagine their is an enemy with cool moves/patterns, say you enjoy the fight with this character. Now imagine that character after being spared, shamefully waddling off, only to level up on his own and develop new moves/skills to challenge you. It’s basically a way to make NPCs less forgettable by incorporating them into the open world narrative.

basically instead of “go home and be a family man” the parting words become “you must defeat my dragon punch to stand a chance”

#17 5 months ago
  18. derpachu

BOTH Gotham city Imposters And Guardians of Middle Earth had much potential but the lack of content and horrible lag were horrible. Huge Fan of middle earth lore.
    I just hope Monolith does it right, since they’ve haven’t really created a huge AAA hit.

#18 5 months ago
  19. The_Red

The PS3 and 360 ports are lame. Really hope game devs cut the current gen cord sooner and focus solely on next-gen + PC.

That said, it’s always nice to see a new game from Monolith and this sounds kinda cool. Hopefully the strange sounding “Nemesis system” is really fun and not a Fable-ish gimmick.

#19 5 months ago
  20. POOhead

That nemesis idea sounds POO, who the hell lets anything live in a game, specially in an RPG game where you have to kill for xp

#20 5 months ago