Heroes of the Storm unique enough that Blizzard needn’t worry about competing MOBAs

Saturday, 9th November 2013 19:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Heroes of the Storm will offer players enough to differentiate it from League of Legends or Dota 2, Blizzard believes.

Speaking with CVG during BlizzCon 2013, the firm’s Alan Dabiri said Heroes of the Storm will likely win over the MOBA audience with its mechanics, and the game’s unique gamplay feature, Battlegrounds.

“I’m not concerned about other people in the industry and other people in this space,” he said. We’re just focused on making a fun, great game. Pretty much every game we’ve ever released has been in a space where other people have games of the same type. When we released StarCraft or Warcraft there were plenty of RTS games, World of Warcraft is the same and even Hearthstone, there’s plenty of card games out there.

“We always take that experience and put a Blizzard flavor on it and I think that people have come to appreciate that. Personally, I think that it’s shown through the years that we’ve been able to succeed at that, but there’s a lot of other mechanics, we learned this from our other games, that we can have all these other cool gameplay elements built into the maps themselves to make the game more interesting.”

Dabiri said the MOBA’s Battleground feature will allow for different strategies and choices with each one, providing a “different experience.”

During BlizzCon, the team showed four of the battlegrounds off, one of which was Blackheart’s Bay – a ghostly pirate ship taking up residence in the center of the arena.

According to the description, treasure chests of gold coins spawn periodically on either side of the battleground and players can either collect or steal them from enemy players to pay tribute to Blackheart. Once enough tribute is paid, he’ll train the ship’s cannons on enemy fortifications for damage.

More details about how the business model works will be discussed in the future, but players will be able to unlock heroes and other content just by playing the game. Cosmetic upgrades like skins, equipment, and mounts will be available. New heroes will also be released over time, along with new battlegrounds, though battlegrounds will probably be freely available to all players.

It’s also possible that additional talent options for existing heroes could be available as unlockable content.

Specific plans for post-launch support will also be announced later along with a release date.

Heroes of the Storm beta sign ups are live, and you can sign up here through Battle.net.

1. Erthazus

I think Blizzard have a winner. They killed “Last hit” mechanic. There won’t be items at all and 4 interesting maps at launch.

But we need keys >:3

#1 6 months ago
  2. DSB

Arrogance based on past successes is really not my bag.

I hope Blizzard doesn’t turn into DICE or Crytek. “We made this good game once, so everything from here on out is gonna be fucking outstanding”.

Nope, you’ll still have to work for it. Chop chop little man.

#2 6 months ago
  3. boothegreat

I think they already have turned into one of those companies. Diablo 3 labeled that for them, also Activision – Blizzard.

#3 6 months ago
  4. DSB

@3 Yeah, I wouldn’t write down Diablo 3 as a total loss, but if I had to describe it in one word it would be complacency.

I hope it doesn’t mark the end of Blizzard as a great developer.

#4 6 months ago
  5. viralshag

It’s too late, I think Blizz seem to struggle these days. A problem of maybe hitting their peak too early?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Titan got scrapped, they really hit it lucky with WoW but there’s a lot more competition these days and I just wonder if they’d actually settle for the same fate as other MMO devs… short blast of hype, good numbers then quick and substantial drop off.

#5 6 months ago
  6. DSB

@5 Early is relative I guess, there were a lot of great games before WoW. WoW was the crowning achievement, but a game like Warcraft 2 is truly one of most defining RTS’s ever made, and then they just flipped it around and totally outdid themselves with Warcraft 3.

And of course that’s not even talking about something like Lost Vikings. Today it’s dated, but it was just so much fun back when it came out.

I thought Titan was scrapped though? There’s nobody working on it. It’s been Ghost’ed.

#6 6 months ago
  7. viralshag

@6, You might be right… I just thought it was being postponed/delayed due to quality issues.

I mean “early” as in quite a few years ago. Like you said, they did have some amazing games back in the day but they were really what, 7-10 years ago mainly?

WoW seems to have been the focus, D3 wasn’t amazing and SC2 was ok (that’s more my opinion than a general statement)… I just wonder if they have lost their touch a bit. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love another Blizz MMO that would win me over like WoW.

#7 6 months ago
  8. DSB

Yeah, I’m pretty worried too. SC2 wasn’t fun from a singleplayer perspective.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Erthazus

Titan is not scrapped. They just started all over again with concept team.
    So far they are not sure if it is going to be sub-based like Warcraft.

and Titan was scrapped because tech was not there.

#9 6 months ago
  10. DSB

@9 Just like Ghost isn’t scrapped. Blizzard never actually cancelled it. Technically it’s still in production.

I am so fucking reassured by the fact that it’s not officially cancelled.

#10 6 months ago
  11. viralshag

@9, Do you think they’ll be able to pull it off though? Looking at MMOs such as EQ:Next, I’m just not sure they’re cut out to compete on the top level any more.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Erthazus

@11, Fantastic question.

Blizzard always looked back at Everquest I (that game is the first mmo that used holy trinity: Tank, DPS, Healer) and when Blizzard developed WoW they looked at Everquest II development and enchanced the gameplay and in the end WoW won and EQII was left in the dust.

Blizzard always looks at the competitors and they always try to copy others with it’s own twist.

So far Everquest Next looks like a Next Generation MMO. Will Blizzard compete? Only time will tell.

It’s going to be interesting anyway.

#12 6 months ago
  13. sebastien rivas

Blizzard do not copy per se but it certainly feels like they take a deep look at what works best in a title and yes you are right EQ I and II were good reference for Wow.
    No plagiarism or anything of that sort, after all there is no patent for gameplay and mechanics…..YET and if something is promising and can be turned into better then why not, it is not by keeping eyes, ears, tongue shut that your game will be better/best

#13 6 months ago