Pokemon X & Y’s art director would like next iteration to contain the simplicity found in Red and Blue

Thursday, 7th November 2013 21:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Pokemon X and Y’s art director Ken Sugimori has said for the next iteration in the series, he would like to go back to the simplicity found in Red and Blue.

Speaking in an interview with We Love Pokemon magazine, Sugimori said while less complexity is his personal preference, this doesn’t imply the seventh generation game will contain less, simpler Pokemon.

Plus, due to the number Pokemon available combined with thier various abilities, attacks and items, Sugimori doesn’t see a decrease happening; however, he said a large adjustment to the aforementioned might be in the series’ best interest.

He said he has heard similar comments from fans.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. pukem0n

yes please!

#1 5 months ago
  2. MrWaffles

I’d kill for something of a Pokemon survival game, where you hunt a Pokemon for days in order to catch it. Or the evolutions happen real time and you have to wait 2 weeks for your Pokemon to fully evolve.

Something like Isla Nublar, where you must find a population sample of the island’s fossil Pokemon (gotta complete the Pokedex rite?)

Oh well, the idea is there, this is the internet, so I guess someone will have this done by next year.

#GameIdea

P.S: Shortest article ever?

#2 5 months ago
  3. thiz

And again with the fake-pokemon for a newspicture.
    Will post this until you decide to stop this.
    And I dont care if anybody else cares. I do.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Guess what? This is the FIRST TIMIE I have seen you post this. So there is no need for you to be rude to me. Understand?

#4 5 months ago
  5. lexph3re

Umm… You want to make it simpler? Good luck trying that, the best thing the series has done is make TM’s infinite, Trading easier and Effort training accessible. Other then that what they really need to do is push Nintendo for a stronger portable so that the console can handle a ambitious game better.

The amount of slow downs, screen tears and random pokemon faces I see popping in and out is pretty bad. And, a stronger handheld would not only fix that but also allow them to not rely so heavily on naked eye tricks. Like walk into a room 2 people are standing there *screen blackens* 6 people are on the screen.

Pokémon X and Y are definitely some of gamefreaks best work. But, hardly a true technical achievement on a handheld format.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Beta

@3 You seem nice.

Have been playing X every day since launch. Still loving it. Intrigued about the strange souvenir item. Seems to be a tease for a new region.

#6 5 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I’ve actually said this before and I’ll say it again. In fact, I’ve said this before in reaction to #3.

Many of the fake Pokemon for this generation and prior generations have fooled me because they’re so convincing. There are artists out there who can so perfectly replicate Nintendo’s own style that it’s uncanny. And the Pokemon games do have a very, very distinct style. Very… geometric?

I don’t think some of them are even intended to be fake. Sometimes it’s just some (really good) artist doing a rendition of what they hope their favourite starter will evolve into. Then someone takes that and posts it on a site like Reddit claiming it’s a leak for the new Pokemon evolutions, and it spreads around the Internet.

This is then catalogued by Google as ‘official Nintendo art,’ because Google doesn’t know any better unless a human checks in and unflags it. If enough people have claimed it is such, then a non-sentient computer program is going to continue to make that correlation.

Thus, you can search for official Pokemon art and find loads of fake stuff. And the fake stuff is very often really convincing (and not even intended to be fake art, it’s just that someone pulled shenanigans with fan art).

It’s a shame this situation even occurred.

A lot of Pokemon fans are lovely people. They’re great to interact with on Tumblr because they’re a fun, energetic, lively bunch. Yet there’s always someone who takes things too far and freaks out about someone posting fakes because they didn’t know any better.

Here’s a thing to keep in mind, #3: It’s actually really hard to tell the fakes, even if you are a fan. And I’m a fan.

You were probably taken in by some of the fakes yourself.

Just remember that.

#7 5 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Same here, on both counts!

#8 5 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Now, opinions…

I don’t know.

I didn’t really like the first generation. I’m not one of those Pokemon fans who believes that the first was the only generation, and the one that Nintendo should stick with, ignoring all others. Honestly, I think that every generation but the first has been pretty okay.

When I think of the first generation, it evokes memories of a pokemon that was just a rock with a face, and a pile of eggs with faces, and a giant ball with a face, and questionable sausages with faces.

My favourite generations were the second and third. I loved those. Though I have to say that X and Y is pretty rad, too. The DS stuff was pretty good, though, don’t get me wrong. I’m definitely amused by some of the stuff that Black & White added, but I still have my preferences.

The only generation I really don’t like is the first. So I don’t want to go back to that. I don’t want my party to be made up of random objects with happy faces on them that feel like they were lifted from the background of Mario games. I feel Pokemon has come so far since the first generation, and I really have to doff my hat to them for the designs present in X/Y. X/Y is aesthetically just such a lovely thing.

#9 5 months ago
  10. thiz

@4 I dont mean you personally. I just meant to say it in general, I’m sure you are not the only person ever writing about pokemon.

It just doesn’t seem to fit for a great newssite like this to start posting pictures that aren’t even real regarding the topic the news is about. This is not about me starting a personal vendetta against you, its just very unprofessional and I like to point that out.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@10 Yeah you kind of did. It was in the gallery. I used it. The file’s name does not say “fake pokés!” ergo it was posted. End of discussion.

#11 5 months ago
  12. yeoung

Steph does not fuck around, haha. Nice.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Djoenz

Are you telling me these pokemoné are not real? ? ?
    OMG Ay Dios Mio have mercy on my soul.

To be honest they look pretty cool even though I think ppl should grow up and not like playing these kiddy games.

#13 5 months ago
  14. thiz

Seriously 13, I never read something so stupid in my life.
    Why do people like you have to rip a closed wound open and pee in it?
    Just shut up and let this one die in peace.

People getting so defensive because I pointed out that its unprofessional, if you start crying because of things like that, then maybe you shoudln’t use the internet.

Love you all.