Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer steps back into Treyarch’s shadow – opinion

Thursday, 7th November 2013 09:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Ghosts is out now and VG247′s Dave Cook has been playing the online component until his fingers bleed. Well not really, but enough that he was able to write an opinion blog about it.

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Our Call of Duty: Ghosts review round-up shows a lower reception than usual.

Check out our Call of Duty: Ghosts campaign – first ten minutes video

Watch me play a round of Team Deathmatch on new Call of Duty: Ghosts map ‘Prison Break.’

This Call of Duty: Ghosts scene has been accused of copy-pasting Modern Warfare 2. What do you think?

I used to think that the trans-generational gap between current and new console formats would be quite exciting, when in reality its serving up no end of disappointments.

As Stace wrote in his Xbox One launch preview yesterday, none of the games struck him as must-have system sellers. For all of Forza Motorsport 5′s technical grunt and Dead Rising 3′s ambition to shovel more zombies on screen than anyone else. He felt that the console – so far – doesn’t offer much in the way of ‘new.’

I have to agree, and it’s something I’ve noted with both Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360. As I said in my Battlefield 4 multiplayer impressions blog, I felt it was a small, incremental and most-importantly, ‘safe’ sequel. This period of transition between formats and tech is not the best time to establish sea change due to the uncertainty of new hardware, plus it’d come as expensive at a time where wallets need to be kept in check.

In this regard, Call of Duty: Ghosts is perhaps the ‘safest’ game I’ve played in a long time, but this isn’t to say it’s entirely bad. But do you simply expect ‘safe’ for your £45? I genuinely felt that Treyarch had started something magical with Black Ops 2. The team made real, visible attempts to shake up both its campaign, multiplayer and zombie offerings. It dusted off the cobwebs after a – personally – bland Modern Warfare 3, but in Ghosts, Infinity Ward has taken a back-step into the safe zone.

Where Treyarch’s ‘Pick Ten’ create-a-class system sought to add balance and freedom to the loadout format, Infinity Ward’s new point allowance system feels like an odd revision. Progression has changed, in that new gear and perks are unlocked as your created soldiers gain XP in battle, but then must be bought using Squad Points, which are earned by hitting new levels and fulfilling Objectives. These rolling challenges tasks players with getting – say – 150 kills with a grip-mounted rifle, and dole out point and XP rewards if completed. At last check, they roll every 15 days.

Objectives are a neat idea admittedly, similar to challenges found in mobile games like Jetpack Joyride. They’re addictive, but hardly earth-shattering. Squad Points allow players to save up their stash, forego the starter gear and go straight for top tier weapons, rather than incrementally unlocking everything as they go. It does give you greater sense of freedom in a progression path sense, but there’s a lack of fanfare when you level up now. It used to feel good hitting a level and seeing all your unlocked goodies splattered on the match report screen. Now, not so much.

Perks are back of course and several mainstays have returned, such as Sleight of Hand and so forth. The system works fine, but I had a real problem working out if some skills such as Quickdraw – which lets you aim down the sights faster – actually made much of a difference in the field. As a long-time series fan, these are the kind of things I obsess over while playing, and I didn’t see evidence of it changing much.

Like Pick Ten, you can forego weapons, tacticals and lethals for more perk points, up to a total of 12. To the game’s credit, perks are given different point values depending on the strength of their effect, so naturally something like ICU – which makes your health regenerate faster – will cost two points, while something less tangible like Gambler – which rolls you a random perk each spawn – costs one. I can see what they were trying to do here, but I have a fondness for the Black Ops 2 method. My opinion will likely change for better or worse over time.

In terms of handling, Call of Duty: Ghosts is more like Modern Warfare 2 in that you will go down very quickly if you’re careless. That old feeling of being downed by one bullet after seemingly pumping five shots into your killer has returned and – personally – is more irritating than ever. I felt that Black Ops 2 improved the gun-on-gun and Scorestreak balance to a point where you rarely felt cheated – unannounced Lightning Strikes aside – but here I just feel like I’m being shot long after sprinting behind cover. Maybe I’ve just become shit since turning 30? Who knows?

The caveat is there’s no more Last Stand or any bollocks like that. If you shoot someone a few times, they die, and that is certainly something to be thankful for. I’ll add that the pace seems to have ramped up considerably since Modern Warfare 3, and this has much to do with map design, which is by-far the most impressive improvement in Ghosts. I genuinely feel these maps are Infinity Ward’s best. Most of them are massive, and I don’t just mean in a feet-squared capacity, but in both verticality and density.

Ruined Scottish castle Stonehaven is set to be a favourite among snipers thanks to its various grassy knolls and cobblestone walkways, but it also holds dungeons and cottages, caves and stream networks, not to mention the wreckage of a crashed orbital strike satellite. The pace has improved thanks to the way Infinity Ward uses open space. There are few ‘dead-cert’ camper spots in Ghosts, meaning you will always be visible from one or more alternate angles. You never feel safe simply hanging back and waiting for cheap kills. You need to keep moving constantly, or you’ll perish.

Scale isn’t the only plus-point here, as maps seem to have been crafted to change up the way you think about Call of Duty. Stromfront’s suburban street features an area with neck-high grass, which can make for various stealthy avenues, while the map’s rainfall increases as matches roll on, hampering visibility. Flooded features several lethal water traps and areas with waist-high sewage to be hidden beneath. Freight’s metallic containers and hidden underground path can be blown open by incendiary devices to make new paths.

These are hardly innovative features, but they do change the way people play. For a series that has long-rested on laurels and has been accused of penning each new game with graphite paper, any changes like this are surely welcome. There is one final revision that I really haven’t enjoyed however, and that’s the returning ‘Strike Package’ Killstreak format from Modern Warfare 3. You can choose either the classic Assault, which doles out rewards for chaining kills, Support which stacks and offers mostly non-lethal rewards and Specialist, which embues your grunt with new perks for chained kills.

I really don’t see why the Scorestreak system from Black Ops 2 had to be binned here. Perhaps it’s something Treyarch wanted to keep for itself and has plans for? Either way, I was playing with a Support Strike Package yesterday and unlocked a new ammo crate reward for getting six stacked kills. It let me throw down a re-supply cache that tops off any friendly’s bullet count and lets them re-roll a random gun. For every time an ally did this, I got 50 points towards my final score. In Black Ops 2, those numbers would have gone towards my streak. Here, they count for leaderboard dominance. Nothing more.

If Infinity Ward wanted to include more incentive for teamwork in Ghosts then it should have built-upon the score-based nature of the Support tree rather than focusing on kills. This is just a personal niggle, but I do feel this is something of a wasted chance. Also, the Scorestreak format from Black Ops 2 was – personally – better than the old model hands-down. It encouraged more than just wanton killing and lone wolf play. It challenged you to claim objectives and support your squad instead of worrying about K/D ratios.

Speaking of which, as a final note, I have been enjoying new modes Cranked and Blitz. The latter suffers from a real lack of teamwork when playing with random people. Most matches I played saw my team running around instead of guarding our portal. The aim is to run into the enemy portal on the other side of the map to score points, but we got flattened through a sheer lack of communication. I’m sure working in a proper squad will help though.

It’s early days yet, as playing for a full day straight isn’t exactly representative of another Call of Duty multiplayer year. Right now though, I’m not seeing the same big steps displayed by Treyarch from Infinity Ward. It does feel like something has been lost as the torch moves between both annualised teams. It certainly seems to be glowing a little dimmer. The biggest take-away is the map design, and I would have said that everything else is ‘business as usual,’ but that’s simply not good enough after Black Ops 2 sought to instill change.

In the end though, I’m a fan so will be playing this for months to come I’m sure.

Anyone fancy a game?

Disclosure: To assist in writing this article, Activision sent Dave a copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360.

1. fengato

I’m a big fan of MW3 (I’ve played every COD extensively going back to COD2) – not digging Ghosts I’m afraid. Large maps are fine, in fact I despise little maps like nuke town, though these great big, ugly convoluted maps just don’t work with the small player counts (Stonehaven excepted). I’m encountering tonnes of camping/loitering with silencers, and as a run and gunner, it’s simply not that much fun.

Spawns are also far too aggressive, and often land you in the middle of trouble.

Final issue is the connections are inferior to most other CODs – where are these dedicated servers that were promised for all platforms? Host migration is a regular occurrence.

I’ll play for a month or so, tho I’m sure I’ll be back into MW3 soon enough.

edit:

Sound is excellent compared to the tinny sounds of MW3 and the over-compressed sounds of Blops 2.

Doggy killstreak is fun – I get really attached to ‘em when they survive for a while.

#1 10 months ago
  2. polygem

my fave mp cod games are cod4 and blops. blops 2 was also good. couldn’t really get into any other cod mp game strangely.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Major Mayhem 70

I never thought I’d say this, but I am going to pass on COD Ghosts. Like Fengato, I’ve played every COD since COD 2. I’ll wait for Treyarch to do COD right with Black Ops 3. Ive got Killzone to look forward to next week, and BF4 the following week.

#3 10 months ago
  4. game_on

Agree with most in this article, I think I’ll level up till 60 and then go back to Blops 2.

#4 10 months ago
  5. fihar

I’m still unsure why people would still follow IW’s and their mostly incremental updates while Treyarch have actually tried to shake up the series by actually introducing new things even though the execution might be less than perfect.

I thought that BO2′s create-a-class system was great and it was so basic that I actually wondered how come they’ve never thought of it before.
    After Treyarch introduced Zombies, I never bothered buying any IW’s CoD ever again and it’s very unlikely that Ghosts is going to change that.

#5 10 months ago
  6. fengato

@3 Envy your early PS4 release date. I’m excited about Shadowfall too, as KZ3 multi was greatly under-rated in my view.

@Dave

Dave, have you played it on PS4? If so can you comment on the framerate issues that are doing the rounds?

#6 10 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

IW are not IW – it’s as simple as that. The 30+ key staff left to form Respawn, including all the main tech guys, designers, programmers and studio heads.

They’ve been gutted and reformed, and they simply aren’t that good any more.

#7 10 months ago
  8. fengato

@7 I think MW3 is the equal of MW2. Perhaps Sledgehammer were the important ingredient.

#8 10 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

No. MW3 was already well into development when the IW fiasco hit the fan, so the old guard all had a hand in that product.

#9 10 months ago
  10. fengato

@9 Good point.

#10 10 months ago
  11. El_MUERkO

I have avoided MW3 after being so disappointed by MW2, my last CoD games being BLOPs which was a lot of fun.

previews made Ghosts sound more like a Treyarch CoD which is why I purchased it.

Unfortunately it’s not, it’s a buggy, laggy, irritation filled mess. That’s it for me, never again will I buy an Infinity Ward CoD.

#11 10 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

Totally agree that this version has taken a step backwards.

IW isn’t IW anymore, and Treyarch are the lead CoD studio, now.

The dedicated server story was a complete lie, and the proof was there for all to see. The game is laggy, and nothing has changed as far as P2P problems go. In fact, as someone said above, they seem to be worse.

The UI is a mess, and totally unintuitive. They’ve removed simplicity, and replaced it with confused, clunky menus that don’t even compare to CoD4.

Me and my clan even managed to find a game type in Team Tactical that literally had us all saying how boring and stupid it was. How did that even get thought up, let alone make it into the game??

Actually, I retract my first statement in this comment. It’s not a step backwards, it’s a roll backwards down a hill into a bunch of stinging nettles.

The spawns, the weapons, the killstreaks, the unlocks, etc. You name it, almost everything in this version is poorly implemented.

Like I said before, EA/Respawn must be ecstatic over this, because I can say quite confidently that I think millions of regular CoD players will go back to BO2 and MW3 over the coming weeks.

And that would make selling TitanFall a whole lot easier.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@6 Only Xbox 360 I’m afraid man. I had a quick shot of it on Xbox One at gamescom though.

Sorry I couldn’t help more man.

#13 10 months ago
  14. bradk825

I found while playing Ghosts multiplayer I feel like I am in danger at all times. The fact that you go down so quick has me on my toes at all times.

#14 10 months ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

And another thing…

The game is also broken, because it allows for total sound-whoring. Basically, one of the perks is so overpowered, that you can hear everyone anywhere near you, and the only way that they can get close to you without you knowing about it is by walking crouched, and moving super slow.

It’s one of the reasons that I stopped playing MW3. It’s one of the things that they took out of BO2, and this so-called “IW” have just left it in.

Basically, anyone with a decent headset has a huge advantage over anyone who doesn’t

That is unbalanced, and that is a deal breaker.

#15 10 months ago
  16. DSB

I definitely don’t agree on the maps. They obviously just let their designers run wild. No one really put any care into how they’re used.

I think the medieval map is a great example. You have the open areas, but then you also have numerous towers that are practically made to be camped out. There’s really no sense of dynamic at all, it’s mostly people fighting over the best camping spots, and I think it’s weird to play a CoD map where you actually find yourself with the kind of pause you’d get in a Battlefield game while running towards the action.

I don’t know the name of the map, but the ruined urban sprawl full of little mazes and a few open areas? That’s just god awful if you want to compete. There’s this one area that opens up inside the building, and it has THREE different levels looking down on the main area. There’s ZERO chance that you’re ever gonna cover three levels walking into that area, so instead of making me want to run around, the level makes me want to hunker down and not take risks. It takes the sense of skill away, and makes it about chance.

If the guy is two floors above you, and you’re covering the bottom, he’s gonna win that duel, every time.

To me that’s just fundamentally bad design. Someone got over excited and decided to make something crazy instead of something that wanted to be played.

I’m not sure what weapons you’re using Dave, but the damage values are largely the same as they were in BLOPS 2 and previous CoDs from what I can tell, so you’re really not dying quicker.

If you’re using something like the Honey Badger and you’re up against a guy with one of the heavier rifles, you’re definitely gonna lose a lot of duels though.

I’ve also found that full auto fire is extremely ineffective, at least on the PC. Doing quick taps is vastly superior.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Dave Cook

@16 AK-12 and the MSMCSMSMSMSCMSM (Whatever it’s called, the three round burst rifle).

Could it be lag then? I’m being shot in seconds without little room for reply. I’m really not that shit at CoD either ;)

#17 10 months ago
  18. DSB

@17 Yeah the AK-12 is pretty powerful. I dunno! To me that’s always been CoD, really? It’s hard to find pages that seem to have the raw data, but I looked at this:

I don’t know how accurate that is, but that’s basically the standard CoD formula. That was the damage of the M4 and ACR in MW2, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same for BLOPS 2. Two headshots unless you have a damage mod, or three shots to the body. Classic stuff.

Could it be because the maps are so random you just never see it coming? That was very annoying for me when I first started. I’ve been camping out a lot more than I ever did before.

*edit* Actually 40 is like 5-10 points above the M4 or ACR. So maybe they did up the damage a bit?

#18 10 months ago
  19. Dave Cook

@18 possibly yeah, I have been exerting a lot more caution when playing this game than in previous instalments. The fact you can be shot from so many angles makes movement a gamble, and in a way I like that. It encourages movement.

#19 10 months ago
  20. G1GAHURTZ

^ No, you really are getting killed much more quickly.

So am I, and so is almost everyone else I have on my FL who’s played it.

People I know with a >2.5 kd in Blops or BO2 currently have ~1.1 in this disaster of a game.

The connections are messed up, and the game is a mess.

#20 10 months ago
  21. stretch215

I’m not having any problems killing people, tbh. Actually it’s the opposite, I’m having my best start to a CoD “season” since blops1. I also haven’t played CoD in about 4 months, so maybe it’s my “fresher” perspective.

#21 10 months ago
  22. DSB

@20 Yeah, I’ve gotten that sense more than once, but I couldn’t be sure.

I don’t want to be one of those guys who blames lag, but it’s obvious to me that there are issues there. On the PC, when you’re running next to a team mate, the entire game starts chugging.

My problem is absolutely the maps though. I’m not a camper, and I like to be aggressive, but it’s just not worth it in Ghosts most of the time. There are too many angles there, and it kinda takes the sport out of it for me.

I can see how it might be stimulating to some, but for me I like everything to be a fair contest. Me against someone else. Fair enough if someone gets lucky a few times, but the maps are so overdone that it happens all the damn time.

Still don’t feel like I’m being killed faster. Then again I always liked that part of CoD, always did a lot of hardcore mode games. I feel like I’m really just getting killed from a lot more angles that I have no chance to cover.

If I want to survive being shot five times, I’ll play Battlefield.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Docker Al

No one, anywhere will ever make a shooter as bad as Blops2. An entire COD game built around quickscoping. In shoe-box sized maps. The FPS genre reached the lowest point it ever will. Will never touch anything by Treyarch again. And I loved their previous games. Blops2 single handedly cleared my friend’s list of shooter gamers.

#23 10 months ago
  24. G1GAHURTZ

@22:

Like I said before, the only way you’re going to get a fair fight is if you use sitrep, or whatever it’s called now.

If you play run and gun, anyone with sitrep on is going to know exactly where you are, and aim down sight long before you come around the corner.

The only way to beat it is to use it too, but then what’s the point of having any perks in the first place?

Seriously, FFA on MW3 was completely destroyed because all you needed was sitrep pro, a headset, and a bit of cover, and pretty much no-one is getting anywhere close to you without you knowing about it.

They totally nerfed this in BO2, and it made a huge difference.

But now it’s here again, and it stops me from playing the game the way I want to play, so why should I bother playing it?

#24 10 months ago
  25. DSB

@24 Great tip, I’m definitely gonna do that. I haven’t really gotten to the point of geeking out the perks yet, but it has seemed to me like those fuckers were psychic more than once. Now I know why.

Sadly that’s been typical of IW since MW3. One step forward, two steps back.

At least they seem to have gotten rid of those douchebags DW’ing machinepistols. Too bad the game is junk.

I honestly don’t get the need to nerf killstreaks either. Sure, we went over the top on MW2 – It was nuts! But personally I thought that was marvelous.

If you aren’t smart enough to stay indoors during an AC-130 call, then you deserve to die.

I don’t get it. It’s like the Polygon review. The guy was bitching and moaning about “those overpowered killstreaks in the past” – But to me that sounds like someone being pissed because he wasn’t the one controlling them.

I dunno. I miss that craziness.

#25 10 months ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, almost every killstreak could be countered in some way, but many noobs fail to understand that.

They seem to expect to walk around slowly in the open at all times, without getting killed…

#26 10 months ago
  27. tomschwepps

I feel like this is a Major step back from MW3.

The maps in this game are horrid. They’re way too large for 6v6. Everyone camps in a window, or corner. You cannot run around and annihilate people anymore. It’s turned into pure camping with a silencer. There are way too many hiding spots. I’m telling you camping owns this game. You can no longer run around and kill everybody. camp camp camp camp camp. You die way to easily. camp camp camp camp camp.Why did they remove Ground War with such large maps?

Aside from being too big how about the map Chasm. I feel like i will pull a muscle in my neck from the screen adjusting. There’s also too many levels inside the map. I see a guy on the mini map run over and he’s probably beneath me hiding behind a flight of steps.

The perks are ridiculous. I have to look at a clunked screen with pictures of them. It is annoying.

i’m not a fan of the killstreaks. The dog is useless. What happened to the good old predator missile.

#27 10 months ago
  28. DSB

Yeah, 8v8 should’ve stayed the standard. I thought that was the perfect balance in the past.

I just fundamentally don’t understand the changes they’re making.

Reminds me of playing WoW, with Blizzard just slowly patching the fun out of it.

Oh well, the guys who went to Respawn were obviously the brains of the operation, so hopefully Titanfall will light some fires.

#28 10 months ago
  29. POOhead

titan fall may have IW best staff but the artists at IW are insanely talented, look of the maps and soldiers are awesome but just the games sucky

#29 10 months ago
  30. DSB

@29 I agree on the soldiers and the setpieces at least. Really, no one does that “custom special forces” look like Infinity Ward.

It’s over the top, but somehow it still looks “serious”. Not like those “modern warfighters” carrying a million gadgets. Here you got bedrolls, masks and lots of extra mags.

They definitely deserve credit for that.

#30 10 months ago
  31. fengato

DSB : “I don’t know the name of the map, but the ruined urban sprawl full of little mazes and a few open areas? That’s just god awful if you want to compete.”

Yep, the convoluted ruined maps are flat out terrible. Large, but compartmentalised in a way that encourages camping. I have the season pass – hoping we get some decent maps and IW deliver the dedicated servers.

#31 10 months ago
  32. ctankep

It’s all about th’ maps –
    But they require people to play FPS with skill as with “Counter Strike”
    back in th’ day. Th’ emphasis being on situational awareness ., making an
    accurate mental model o’ what’s going on from th’ sights an’ sound design.
    Then being able to flow -through maps as a team with support flanking
    you on th’ sides as you hunt th’ opposing force.

“Black Ops” an’ it’s sequel encouraged players to be lazy ., no rather it
    mandated lane -camping an’ head glitching with it’s awful map design. Th’
    Treyarch games lacked any sense o’ interesting sightlines or movement
    promising a higher head count but far less satisfying gameplay.

Happy to see all these KD -babies spitting th’ dummy now that their
    cheap arse tactics don’t work in “Ghosts”. I don’t see th’ point in playing
    MP games if shit is going to go down th’ exact same way each time.
    “Raid” an’ “Hijacked” come to mind ., where you had families fighting for
    th’ best camping spots along th’ lanes. That got tired pretty quick.

Th’ size o’ th’ maps in “Ghosts” are fine for 6 x 6. But it’s going
    to take players a few nights to stretch their legs an’ adapt to a more
    flowing ., improvised style o’ play. I’m loving th’ focus on more skillful
    gunplay as well since there are so many sightlines to cover an’
    meaningful engagements can take place at long range as well.

Th’ sense o’ being overwhelmed goes away an’ you begin to develop
    a feel for th’ maps: where th’ hotspots are ., how to transition between
    areas ., th’ paths players are likely to take an’ use that knowledge to
    good effect. “Ghosts” MP is all about this awareness an’ then being
    able to string that together as you sweep th’ map with your team.

If you’re camping then a Satcom / Oracle / grenade targetting -perk
    will expose you pretty quick. Smart players will also anticipate folks
    going for those obvious vantage points an’ train their sights there
    [ windows ., rooftop areas ]. Each sniper spot typically exposes you in
    2 -other directions as well so it’s not a problem. You can also shoot
    through th’ scaffolding providing cover or adjust your load -out to
    counter snipers as well.

“Ghosts” offers th’ detail that was sadly lacking in “Black Ops 2″ .,
    more expressive play an’ so much more potential for on th’ go tactics.
    Whereas I felt much o’ Treyarch MP design tried to boil it down into
    feedback loop akin to crack cocaine but without much left but th’ spoon .,
    th’ flame an’ th’ shoebox they belong in.

I just wish it had a “plant th’ bomb” -kind o’ mode where there’s a
    moving focal point to th’ play. Death match is fine though an’ will only
    get better as people gain knowledge o’ th’ maps an’ th’ meta -game o’
    popular perks an’ how to counter them kicks off. It would be incredible
    to see co -ordinated 6 x 6 competitive play on these maps — so good.

#32 10 months ago
  33. ctankep

Maybe you’re just not that good at FPS games?
    You can watch as many TmarTn videos as you like ., but th’ pure
    gameplay in “Ghosts” requires more skill. Th’ disconnections are likely
    th’ result o’ sucky rage -quitters [ trying to preserve KD ] an’ hopefully
    these people will leave soon.

You’re also getting killed “quicker” because people are primarily using
    assault rifles instead o’ sub machine guns which were OP in “Black Ops 2″.
    Th’ damage output is way different compound _d by th’ long range
    performance attachments being in vogue right now. Maybe try th’
    “Incognito” or “Off th’ Grid” perks to reduce visibility an’ see how
    you fare.

#33 10 months ago
  34. G1GAHURTZ

^ Maybe I’m not that good?

Maybe…

Notice how I can actually take damage, and don’t get insta-killed here, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_em4hhPw0

#34 10 months ago
  35. Hcw87

The only good CoD games are MW1 and BO1. The games started being retardedly casual when they started implementing shit that highlights at all times where the enemies are on the minimap. It’s not a game of skill anymore (ATLEAST compared to MW1).

Also thanks @34 for pointing out another thing wrong with CoD games nowadays. The complete lack of recoil. The fact that you can drag your scope around while shooting without experiencing any recoil/muzzle drift is just too damn easy.

#35 10 months ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

In order to get the Orbital Vsat, you need 1200 points.

It’s a reward for getting kills and completing objectives.

That doesn’t make the game casual, or remove the element of skill, since you actually need skill to get it in the first place!

Oh, and there’s also nothing wrong with the lack of ‘recoil’. Most people like to shoot where they aim.

#36 10 months ago
  37. MrAPOLLO

I agree completely. I also want to know where this dedicated servers we were promised are. As a South African whos internet is only 4mbps it is extremely annoying having to play against Americans or Europeans with extremely fast internet which causes me to lag, die when I’m around a corner, not getting hit markers, or dying because I couldn’t see the guy coming around the corner due to lag. I will definitely be going back to Black Ops 2 and MW3 after I hit level 60 with my first soldier in Ghosts

#37 10 months ago
  38. Hcw87

I thought only the next gen versions (and perhaps PC) would have dedicated servers.

Then again, Ghosts never announced they were going to have a 100% dedicated server setup like BF4, it was more ”semi-dedi” like Killzone Shadowfall.

#38 10 months ago
  39. DSB

I can say from personal experience that playing other slower shooters means I’m considerably worse once I do get back into CoD. My reflexes just deteriorate.

The maps just really keep getting worse though. On one map there’s this robotic factory where almost everything in the background is multi-colored and moving, meaning that you basically have no chance of focusing on the enemy.

I don’t know if that’s an issue if you have auto-aim, maybe not, but on the PC it’s gamebreaking. It’s like trying to play through an optical illusion.

It’s so bad it’s ridiculous. I guess one funny thing is that everybody seems to agree on that much. Instead of the usual friendly smacktalk, people are just kinda amazed by how shitty the maps and weapons are, and that’s usually the point of discussion.

I’m amazed that people were allowed to design maps without any consideration for the gameplay like that.

If Activision keeps doing this, they’re gonna put CoD in the ground like Neversoft did with Guitar Hero. The singleplayer turned out to be really good, although the engineering is still shoddy, but the multiplayer is worse than worthless.

#39 10 months ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

WOW!

What a difference a headset makes!

Just to totally back up what I was saying before… I was just using a pair of basic stereo speakers until today, and I was doing really poorly.

I was hardly ever going positive, no matter the game type, and getting taken out left, right and center, wondering how people knew where I was.

Today, all I used was a pair of regular headphones, because I can’t be bothered to plug my X41s in just to play this poorly developed game, stuck on the Amplify perk, and the difference is night and day!

I can hear just about everyone.

Everywhere!

Before I wasn’t getting more than about 14 kills, and I was doing well if I got less than 10 deaths.

I just finished a FFA game, going 30-5.

That’s a real balance killer, right there. Now the game is a walk in the park. All I have to do is get used to the maps (it’s still difficult to tell if someone is above you or beneath you if you’re in a building), and watch my k/d rocket.

I prefer a challenge, tbh. You can’t do this in BO2.

@39:

Yeah, that map is really poor. It’s not the only one, either. And to add to that, I got taken out on another map by a guy whose character blended almost perfectly into the background. And he wasn’t wearing a ghillie suit.

How did that make it into the game??

#40 10 months ago
  41. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, and another thing…

Where has the Theater mode gone!?

You can’t even record stuff anymore…

Pathetic!

#41 10 months ago
  42. DSB

@40 Hah, same thing happened to me on the robot map. One teams camo is blue, and it’s the exact same shade as some of the shipping containers.

So one guy basically blended into the wall. Well played, blue team dude.

The lag is really pretty egregious as well. I never saw anything like this in MW2 or any other P2P game I can remember. I assume that’s because they have all kinds of systems running to keep things synced, but Ghosts is just a mess.

Watching the killcams and seeing how much those guys stutter just makes me angry. There’s no way that should ever happen.

#42 10 months ago
  43. Hcw87

”It would be fun to get all those “it’s so damn easy” guys into a server and test them out.”

My KDR (fuck i hate that term) is 2.xx on both BO1 (the cod game i played the most) and BF3/4.

#43 10 months ago
  44. cromero

Three things i hate about this game and one of them was actually in Black Ops 2 was the Target Finder which here i think it’s called the Tracker Sight both are full of bull, but the Tracker Sight is more because it can look through objects and i have to waste a perk on it so it wont affect me just like in Black Ops 2 the Cold Blooded perk was almost on all my classes and i purchased the extra nine, also the Amplify perk which amplifies sound created by players now i don’t have money to spend to buy something like some Astro A50 and i dislike the use of headware, and finally the quick deaths which get annoying when i’m trying to snipe.(not run and quickscope)

#44 9 months ago
  45. jmac74

The lag is horrible in this game.. Why can’t this deloper get this right??? Its rediculas and makes the game play horrendous.. This franchise needs to step up the multiplayer or die… And step it up for hardcore.. Looking forward to Titan Fall…

#45 9 months ago