Ryse: Son of Rome previews start landing, new gameplay video released

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 21:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ryse: Son of Rome was on-hand during Microsoft’s Xbox One media event, a few websites have posted previews which we’ve listed below. There’s also a new video and screenshots to look upon as well.

IGN thought the game was “shaping up to be a good game, in its own right.”

GameSpot suggested the gameplay could become tedious for some.

Game Informer said it was “as fun as dialing phone numbers.”

You can have a look at the screenshots over on Gematsu.

Ryse launches alongside Xbox One November 22.

1. Djoenz

Oh my haha. . talk is cheap aint it . Finally some legit previews but I need me some reviews soon. Cant wait.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Arcnail

That sure is good looking. Still not 100% sold on the gameplay, but this video does make it look a lot better then I thought.

Is there pvp in this game though, or was that co-op?

#2 11 months ago
  3. GuuR

#2 I agree with you. It certainly looks the part. Shame it’s only on XOne and not on PS4. Cannot wait what God of War will look like on PS4… Mind boggles.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Beta

I love dialing phone numbers!

Seriously though, it looks perfectly decent. Not really hyped for it yet though.

#4 11 months ago
  5. bobnice

In their latest preview, IGN said that “out of all the next generation launch games they’ve seen, RYSE is the best looking graphically.” Thats impressive considering there are a lot of 1080p launch games out there on both platforms and RYSE is only 900p and it still looks better than them. Kinda says something about that whole resolution crap, quality vs quantity…

#5 11 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Brace yourself.

#6 11 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Rome/10

#7 11 months ago
  8. Djoenz

IGN is not to be trusted tbh, they are very corrupto mundo! I dont believe a word what they say in general.

But in this case maybe yeah, imo its not about graphics nor resolution but come on its supposed to be next gen so native 1080p should be a given. I dont really worry about fps either although its a significant factor.

Without native 1080p we might as well stay on freaking current gen. They could have developed the game for xbox360 easily.

Its about the GAMEPLAY, ive heard Crytek is known for beautiful pixydust magical graphics but severely lacking in gameplay elements.

Dont preorder shit before reviews are out sheeple. Talk is cheap.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Edo

Well would you look at that…suddenly gfx matter again.

#9 11 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

@8 – I agree, absolutely do not trust anything IGN says in regards to MS. They have a great partnership and no way IGN would trash or tear down their biggest launch titles. won’t happen.

Gameinformer is usually very fair though, tending to give higher scores when everyone else gives lower scores, so its surprising to see the severe statement about dialing phone numbers.

I want this game to be good, because I love history games, and when I eventually get an Xbox One, I want to play it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

Day one for me!!!

#11 11 months ago
  12. Dark

It’s Crytek. Great graphics, shitty gameplay.

#12 11 months ago
  13. dkpunk

I’d trust IGN over GI. Just saying.

#13 11 months ago
  14. polygem

xbox definitely has the better launch games but i just don’t like the hardware and i can’t get over their reveal disaster. it really killed the tiny spark of trust that was left for them. it’s a shame. i really really had great gaming experiences on the 360.

#14 11 months ago
  15. laughing-gravy

Gamespot are saying it’s tedious too.

#15 11 months ago
  16. TheBlackHole

EVERY GAME WILL OUTPUT AT 1080p. It’s just the native resolution that will change. If it didn’t say it on the box, I doubt you’d even be able to tell the difference most of the time.

#16 11 months ago
  17. DSB

Once again, IGN is the kid sitting in the corner, eating the paste.

Or really, let’s be honest, counting the money.

Very impressed by Game Informer though. That’s not the kind of honesty you expect from a Gamestop subsidiary.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Erthazus

@16, Just because you don’t know how Native 1080p looks does not mean that someone won’t see a difference.
    Because there is a huge difference.
    Upscaling to 1080p just makes the picture bigger with blur effect all over the place and image is still in 720p with tons of jaggies.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/0/2/2/2/5/AA_000.png – TLOU in 720p. You can see that the game in the distance looks like crap. as a small example.

#18 11 months ago
  19. TheBlackHole

@18 how are you still here?

#19 11 months ago
  20. Erthazus

@19, How are You still here.

#20 11 months ago
  21. yeoung

Looks like Batman combat, except simplified and with none of the flying around, the grappling hooks or the divekicking. That said, I’m looking forward to gaming news sites in a couple of weeks, I’m going to read ALL of them. Exciting times :D

#21 11 months ago
  22. ddtd

The people calling IGN MS shills must not have been on the site post E3

#22 11 months ago
  23. Agt_Pendergast

This is why I’ll never trust IGN reviews or opinions (or most sites really) ever again.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Doppleganger

I like realism so I wasn’t to happy with the deflecting arrows back that the archer and that power up perk where he disorients all the surrounding enemies.

I just watched gameplay video on gametrailers.com and I realized it looks boring cause it takes 20 hits to kill a guy! you are using a damn sword!? Why can’t they make it realistic? I don’t care if it makes the game harder as Marius can only take 3 hits but make it realistic. Its boring as shit to keep hitting the same guy that many times

#24 11 months ago
  25. The_Red

I have been on IGN and they are literally the biggest apologists. Some of the Xbox podcasts are downright hilarious in the amount of denial shown from their so called “journalists”.

Of course that doesn’t mean everyone at IGN is a shill or a hack. There are decent people to but the site as a whole is just doing damage control and not just for MS.
    IGN is a site that will do ANYTHING to keep major players happy (MS, Sony, EA, Activision and so on).

#25 11 months ago
  26. CyberMarco

Oh look at that, it’s Salami Cutting Simulator 2014!

#26 11 months ago
  27. rafterman83

Looks like a hoot-and-a-half.

#27 11 months ago