Killer Instinct being gifted to dedicated Xbox Live members by Microsoft

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 16:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Killer Instinct has been gifted to various Xbox Live members by Microsoft who meet certain criteria.

According to Microsoft, the game is being gifted to members with high Gamerscores, and years active through Xbox Live.

“You’re a fan of us and we’re a fan of yours,” reads the email sent to users. “Thank you for your dedication to Xbox. We want to show you our appreciation so we’re giving you Killer Instinct.

“We’ve unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running. Watch your inbox on 22 November for instructions on how to claim your free gift.”

Killer Instinct will release alongside Xbox One on November 22.

Thanks, CVG.

1. dontbescaredhomie92

But but… Microsoft hate gamers, they’d never do anything like this!?
    That’s another free game for me at launch then, I’ll be too busy playing BF4 but still it’s a decent reward.

#1 5 months ago
  2. M TOPP

Got mine today, wondered if it was legit or not. Shame I’m going Ps4 this time.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Doppleganger

what is the criteria to receive this? I wanted to create a new account for my XboxOne as my Live expires right when it comes out and my email for that account is not even active so I don’t receive any info from them.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

Good move.

#4 5 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

First it was free XBox Music for Gold Subscribers and now it’s free KI upgrades to dedicated Xboxers…that’s the stuff, Microsoft!

#5 5 months ago
  6. Cobra951

I just checked. No such luck for me. I guess 6 years of paid Live and over 100 games purchased is not good enough. I’m not a KI fan anyway, so small loss.

#6 5 months ago
  7. ChunkyLover112

Microsoft and their never ending generosity. Such a wonderful company.

#7 5 months ago
  8. iluspook

I’m in the same boat, Cobra! I AM a big KI fan, however, and will gladly pay the money so the developers get paid.

It’s a nice gesture on Microsoft’s part, but there will be many wondering what more they possibly could have done to meet whatever criteria are attached to this.

#8 5 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

Sweet!

#9 5 months ago
  10. Luciano666

Consoles too!!! http://www.videogiocare.org/2013/11/dopo-killer-instinct-anche-delle-xbox.html

#10 5 months ago
  11. polygem

i haven’t received an email :(
    i think it was the right decission for me to switch focus next gen. all those years of xbl gold and all those ms points spent on games, movies, dlc, even gamertag changes and not even a few ingame characters for free? i never play sportsgames. the fifa code is useless to me. i don’t even feel like checking that game out. i don’t want to use the kinect but it’s bundled with the console. yeah, maybe that’s better for future game development if it’s guaranteed that everyone has one of those things but i don’t want a kinect in my house. period…i feel a bit sad, i must admit that, i truly had some great gaming moments on the 360. i loved so much about the 360 but everything xbox one just turns me off…maybe later, i wont write that off but for launch i go playstation.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Doppleganger

My account is 6-7 years old with large amount of games and high gamerscore. Wasted 1 hour trying to retrieve my old email account associated with xboxlive to see if I got the email…… NATHING! thats so BS.

#12 5 months ago
  13. POOhead

@12 wouldnt call having an xbox for 6-7 as dedication

#13 5 months ago
  14. Super Girevik

I wonder if Major Nelson recieved an email. If he didn’t, I’m not even going to bother checking my email.

#14 5 months ago
  15. wamp

You’re saying it like someone with PSN account from 2005 and a lot of trophies and purchases from the PS Store have received some kind of thank you gift.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

#15 5 months ago
  16. polygem

@13: oh, no? 6-7 years paying for live isn’t worth a few character skins to lure you into their nextgen machine a little bit (after that mess of a reveal)? see, that’s exactly why they can fkcu themselves.

#16 5 months ago
  17. POOhead

@16 no, id say dedication is buying all MS products and game and the dlc that goes with it, thats dedication in the eyes of MS, your hate for MS is getting pretty boring, i wouldnt get angry over it, ive had xbox live for 7 years, wouldn’t call myself a dedicated xbox live member.

#17 5 months ago
  18. Super Girevik

It’s not a few character skins, but rather the entire game they are gifting. But I too would like to be appreciated for the $$$ I spent on Xbox Live.

Kind of odd how Europe is getting FIFA for free as a Day One special offer, yet North America is getting nothing. They should offer Killer Instinct or Forza 5.

#18 5 months ago
  19. TrickyAudio

I’ve must of pissed them off by canceling my Sub last month. Sad times.

#19 5 months ago
  20. viralshag

If I don’t get this I’m cancelling my preorder!!!!

#20 5 months ago
  21. fearmonkey

Thats great MS but it’s a little too late. I won’t get it as I let my Gold account expire last May, but even if I did I wouldnt be swayed by this to get an Xbox One over PS4.

This is what they should have been doing all along, what they should have done on the 10th year anniversary of Xbox Live, give away free games. Instead slect people got a free console and the rest of us got avatar props, it was a joke.

For people that are getting an Xbox One and get the email, thats awesome for them, but they should have gifted this game as a freebie for Xbox One at the beginning.

#21 5 months ago
  22. Mr Sparkle

I received an email…But I’m not getting an X1. What’s gonna happen?!?

#22 5 months ago
  23. Khan979

They must have super high criteria and simply did this for the press and to get people talking about MS being so generous they are giving away a free game at launch to “dedicated gold members”. Screw them I have been a member for years with a good gamerscore and well over 75 games. that’s alot of money….if that doesn’t qualify then fuck them. I checked my email after reading this article and nothing. If I hadn’t already promised my son that we would get the xbox one, then I would have canceled my preorder and only gotten the PS4. regardless, I know where most of my games will be purchased this gen.

#23 5 months ago
  24. Mr Sparkle

@23 I got one. Never played an Original Xbox and haven’t even been on the 360 that long. 4-5 years. I guess I have enough of a Gamerscore.

#24 5 months ago
  25. Hcw87

82k Gamerscore, 11 year account.

Got nothing. I guess Scandinavia is getting buttfucked again.

#25 5 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

I imagine that’s because employees aren’t eligible.

JM

#26 5 months ago
  27. Hcw87

That’s funny, you strike me as an anti-MS guy yourself.

Sony employee confirmed.

#27 5 months ago
  28. Joe Musashi

That’s a rather telling leap of logic you just made.

JM

#28 5 months ago
  29. Hcw87

Everything you do is telling.

Sees an MS article>starts denying everything in it>refuses to admit he’s wrong on anything

I really don’t know what you’re after. A paycheck from Andrew House?

#29 5 months ago
  30. Legendaryboss

Brace Yourself.

#30 5 months ago
  31. Joe Musashi

I’m crying right now.

JM

#31 5 months ago
  32. Djoenz

JM dont waste your time on him hhaha he is pro Xboxone but never admits it.
    Also dont reply to me Hcw87 I am just a PS3 Fanboy/Sony fanboy. :)

#32 5 months ago
  33. Hcw87

Nope, you’re just too poor to buy any at launch.

#33 5 months ago
  34. Djoenz

I wont lie I cant afford one whahaha

#34 5 months ago
  35. aseddon130

178k gamerscore, 7 year old account. I qualified. I’m happy.

I like how Microsoft give free stuff and everyone STILL manages to jump on the bashing bandwagon, jesus wept!!!!

#35 5 months ago
  36. polygem

no bandwagon. honest, disappointed lover of the x360

they only broke my heart that’s all

#36 5 months ago