Assassin’s Creed: modern day game doubtful, closure of Connor’s story unlikely says Ubisoft

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 11:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag developer Ubisoft Montreal has taken to Reddit to answer a slew of fan questions. The team has poured cold water on hopes that a modern day entry to the series could happen.

It’s the same Reddit AMA session that saw the team say that development of the game’s current-gen builds was ‘nightmarish.’

When asked if Connor’s story from Assassin’s Creed 3 would receive some form of closure, in the same way live-action film Embers closed off Ezio’s story, lead writer Darby McDevitt said, “Not at this time. Embers took [six] months to make. [I]t was a big project, and beloved by all, but those teams are busy with other things right now. But we loved the project, so maybe we’ll go that route again one day.”

In fact, he said it was “not very” likely that Connor’s plot would continue in future.

On the topic of a much-requested modern day entry, McDevitt added, “I doubt we would do a modern day AC. There are just too many mechanics we would have to develop to make it [believable] … vehicles, plausible modern cities, a huge array of ranged weapons, etc. The modern day will most likely remain as a ‘context’ for all future games, something to tie them all together.”

However, he teased, “Watchdogs will scratch the itch for a modern day AC. Just wait!”

What do you make of Assassin’s Creed 4 so far? Let us know below.

Via IGN.

1. lubu

modern day ac game = watchdogs

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

On the one hand, I’m disappointed that Connor’s story won’t continue, because he was an actually interesting character doing things not seen enough. I think he largely suffered from idiots that wanted another Ezio and refused to accept anything that wasn’t Ezio.

On the other hand, I’m not buying Ubisoft stuff anyway because of how they purposely dicked over Desilets by firing him yet pulling off some serious legal loophole bullshit to ensure he never gets the rights back to his own project. So, it really doesn’t matter at all whether they continue Connor’s story or not, because AC3 was the last of any of Ubisoft’s games that I’m ever going to play until they make reparations over the Desilets bullshit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

That’s specifically Ubisoft Montreal. If you look at all the bad things Ubisoft has done and is doing, it can all be traced back to their Montreal house. Their more interesting stuff is coming from other houses, like Montpellier.

So, yeah, I have a long list of reasons as to why I’m avoiding Ubisoft Montreal games like the plague. What you’ve stated is one of them, just one. Though I won’t punish their other dev houses for the nastiness of their Montreal house.

#3 1 year ago
  4. FeaturePreacher

I’m just waiting for them to take Assassin’s Creed to the Far East so the game can have some interesting and challenging combat. Enough of a challenge so there’s a reason for you to avoid the warrior NPCs. If they take it to feudal Japan, there’s already a perfect name for it: Assassin’s Creed: An Assassin in the land of Assassins. Hopefully it would finally have difficulty selection as well.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

Such a shame, I was hoping for more out of Connor, Connor is seriously one hell of a character, loved him.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ali

Great news. Conner was such a shitty protagonist…

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

Have to disagree. While not fleshed enough, he actually felt like a real human being during most scenes (Even if the melodramatic story / twists ruined a lot of that). Compared to Connor, Ezio was stereotypical character with predictable arc (Though I did enjoy his older version in Revelations).

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

@3: Hmm, I’ll have to think about that a little bit. “Don’t punish other parts of the company that don’t deserve it” is a good approach and why I don’t try to blanket-boycott in many cases. I didn’t swear off all of Squeenix until 3rd Birthday, for example, whereas before that point I was only swearing off certain IPs or “creators.” Yet, I also can’t really just say what happened to Desilets is solely Ubisoft Montreal’s fault. There are people higher up on the totem pole of responsibility that could have stepped in and given him back the rights to his IP after he was fired, but they didn’t. That ends up making the company as a whole complicit in the actions of Ubisoft Montreal.

@6: More like you didn’t understand the character at all and likely didn’t want to.

While it’s always possible for a character to be done poorly, most of the time “that character sucks” actually translates to “I made a kneejerk reaction to the character and committed so fully to my reaction that I’m completely blind to any merits of the character.”

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@2: “because he was an actually interesting character doing things not seen enough.”

Like? Because I think Connor was a robot. The blandest of the bland. Embarrassing if you consider how much potential the character had.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

I’m pretty sure Assassins Creed has always been designed by robots. The blandest of the bland. Embarrassing if you consider how much potential their franchise once had.

“My calculations tell me that this is…. Fun”

“My calculations tell me that this is…. Interesting”

“My calculations tell me that my game is missing…. 25% more grafix”

“My calculations tell me that my game is missing…. 15% trading minigame”

“My calculations tell me that people hate the modern sci fi nonsense…. But I am a robot without a brain or a heart, so I’m keeping it in there”

I mean seriously, the whole fucking franchise is a soulless mess. It’s everything that’s wrong with games today.

#10 1 year ago
  11. bitsnark

@9 It wouldn’t have been *quite* so bad if they didn’t let you play as Haytham beforehand, even though Connor grew on me a little by the end of the game.

Reminded me a bit (too much) of the MGS2 character switcheroo.

#11 1 year ago