The Legend of Zelda team is “more careful” over artistic direction after initial negativity surrounding Wind Waker

Tuesday, 5th November 2013 19:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has said the team is cautious when it comes to designing the look of new Zelda titles after the initial, negative reaction to 2002′s The Wind Waker.

Speaking with gamesTM in its latest issue (via Nintendo Everything), Aonuma said that due to such a drastic leap, the team is “more careful”.

“We encountered an awful lot of problems from the drastic leap we took with Wind Waker,” he said. “I think we will be a bit more careful. If we find a new approach that not just the developers, but also the users would enjoy then I think we will want to break new ground again. But we haven’t found such an approach yet.”

A high definition re-release of The Wind Waker is now available on Wii U.

1. Djoenz

2002 o………….m…………….g
    I must have forgotten about Twilight Princess cause I never played it wtf…I must buy Wii

#1 11 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

Which is sad, because Wind Waker is easily the best Zelda game ever made, and the amazing attention of detail and ageless artstyle are just two of many reasons why.

#2 11 months ago
  3. psxman

@2 seconding that.

#3 11 months ago
  4. marijnlems

@2: Exactly.

Everything wrong with modern videogames (and post-Yamauchi Nintendo) captured in one headline. Well done, Steph!

#4 11 months ago
  5. monkees19

While WW was great you guys are delusional. Link to the Past trumps all. And easily

#5 11 months ago
  6. Telepathic.Geometry

Wind-Waker would be the best Zelda ever made had it been finished. As it stands, Twilight princess is the clear winner, and anyone who says different is a blasphemer, who I hope is karmically assaulted by dick-wolves.

#6 11 months ago