PlayStation Vita’s 3.00 update launches, prepares your Vita for PlayStation 4

Tuesday, 5th November 2013 02:57 GMT By Ewan Miller

The 3.00 update for the PlayStation Vita has launched, adding various features including a ‘Panoramic Camera’ mode, better Parental Controls and the application which links the Vita to a PlayStation 4. The update also revamps the friends app and allows you to transfer content between your PS3 and Vita over Wi-Fi.

The PS4 Link app will allow you to play PS4 games on your Vita’s screen and use second-screen functions. The new Parental Controls app will allow you to restrict your child’s game play duration as well as the Internet browser and GPS functions. The Friends and Messages apps have been revamped, you can now sync email from Gmail or Yahoo Mail.

Lastly, in case you don’t want to ever hit the update button again, you can now turn on automatic system updating.

If you’re looking to get even more detail on the update, check out the PlayStation Blog.

1. Dragon

126 MB download, just finished downloading it.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Ewan Miller

Same. I really like the new GUI for the friends app. Surprisingly so, to be honest.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Eregol

Wiped all my messages.
    Caused Hustle Kings to crash, and the. Hang on trying to re-open it. Locked my Vita and now I can’t get it to open.
    Completely borked my Vita.
    Great.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Dragon

^Tried resetting/restarting it from safe mode?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Dragon

And yeah, the panoramic camera feature is cool, but really shows the limitations of a measly 2MP camera.

#5 9 months ago
  6. polygem

can’t wait to check out the ps4 but i don’t use my vita anymore. again. i have been there before. this thing collects dust. i prefer playing on the 3ds so much more. vita makes almost zero sense if you have a ps3 a phone and a 3ds…i hope ps4 will change that, otherwise this will be my hardware of choice for trading in. i hate to own stuff that i rarely use.
    don’t know what it is, it’s a solid device but man do i miss the psp. maybe a redesign, a vita FAT would help and games that fit the format, like medievil resurrection, locoroco, killzone liberation, daxter, many many more. where are those sony days when they made one charming game after another?

#6 9 months ago
  7. DrDamn

Tearaway, Hohokum, Guacamelee, Stealth Inc, Spelunky …

#7 9 months ago
  8. TrickyAudio

Vita is quickly becoming my favourite console to play at the moment. I’ve only bought 3 retail games for the thing, the rest is all download, and most are brilliant indie games. Haven’t picked up my 3DS in ages.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Eregol

@4 Managed to hard reset it.
    Still lost all my messages, and it appears my message game of Hustle Kings is now completely borked.
    Will probably have to start a new one.
    I’m afraid to try anything else at the moment.

I wonder what the point is of including the PS4 link app, but not the Playstation app?

#9 9 months ago
  10. polygem

@7: tearaway looks interesting but i am not a fan of lbp so i am sceptical about it. not really digging the artdesign. guacamelee strangely didn´t work for me eventhough i love metroid and castlevania. stopped playing it halfway through, don´t think i will get back to it. i enjoyed mutant blobs though. spelunky. is awesome but not unique to the platform.
    i think uncharted ga was a missed opportunity, it was a soso game. gravity rush too, imo the conrtols are pretty much broken. i mean i was so wowed by the cutscenes of medievil the first time i turned on the psp. the game was so promising and fun – a game like that running on that tiny thing. it was just cool. loco roco was a new interesting game, killzone liberation was a killzone game but felt very very different…and daxter was a masterpiece. the sly vita game isn´t too shabby but it lacks in quality unfortunately.
    say what you want, there is quantitiy on playstation platforms, there are games, the only problem i PERSONALLY have with them: i don´t think they are very enjoyable experiences – and that´s a shame because sony has some great ip´s.
    you can disagree with that of course.

#10 9 months ago