Gran Turismo 6 lets you drive the Lunar Lander. On the Moon. Where else?

Tuesday, 5th November 2013 02:39 GMT By Ewan Miller

Gran Turismo, as a series, has always prided itself on its fetishistic authenticity to the construction of cars and the physics of racing them. Now, for Gran Turismo 6, Polyphony Digital it turning that obsession towards the final frontier: you will be able to drive the “Lunar Roving Vehicle LEV-001 ’71″ on the Moon. There’s maybe two seconds of Moon footage in the trailer below. Worth it.

Can you race on the Moon? Probably. Can you race normal cars on the Moon? Can you race the Lunar Rover on the Earth? Has Polyphony secretly sent a team to the Moon to work out the physics of Moon racing?!

Sadly, I can’t answer these questions and neither can the two seconds of Moon footage at about the 2:35 mark in the trailer. All we can do is wait.

In another spacey new trailer, Polyphony show off their new skybox technology, which promises accurate real life constellations at night that move across the screen like they should. But will they be accurate from the perspective of… the Moon?!

Gran Turismo 6 is set for a worldwide release on PS3 on December the 6th.

Thanks Polygon.

1. Dragon

#1 11 months ago
  2. yeoung

Lunacy! Out of this world!

#2 11 months ago
  3. fihar

Kubelwagen for GT5, and this for GT6.

I applaud them for constantly making moves out of left-field like this but sometimes I wished they would put their resources into something that would actually enhance the core experience instead of this skybox thing.

#3 11 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

Can somebody find who he’s looking for so he can shut up!

Glad I cancel my X1 and Forza pre-order. I think I’ll have much more fun with this!

#4 11 months ago
  5. dontbescaredhomie92

@4 sure you did…

#5 11 months ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

@5 Yes I did!

#6 11 months ago
  7. Legion

They have finally ‘jumped the shark’!

#7 11 months ago
  8. Panthro

I glanced and thought the 6th line of text said ‘ANAL COMMANDER’…

_______________

I like it when games do stuff like this and don’t advertise it, like all the hidden stuff in the surgeon simulator 2013 game.

Always give me a reason to go back and play it.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Cort

It is very difficult to see the stars from the surface of the moon, for reasons I won’t bore you with. Astronauts who walked on the moon said they could only see the very brightest stars in the sky if they stood in the shade of the LM, lifted their UV visor panel, and waited until their eyes got used to the change in light conditions.

Useless fact of the day: check.

#9 11 months ago