EverQuest Next Landmark developer diary shows in-game footage, discusses materials, tools

Tuesday, 5th November 2013 19:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EverQuest Next Landmark has a new developer diary available in which Sony Online Entertainment discusses some of the tools and materials players will be using to create their own additions to EverQuest Next.

According to the diary, players will start off with a copper pick, you know, like they did in the Chalcolithic period, before moving on to more robust tools. Tier One materials you can gather with your soft metal pick include tin and iron which you can use to create a better pick. Once you have a better pick, you can gather better resources.

There will be five tiers in total along with six tools, one of which is a bucket in order to carry liquids – like lava.

You also get a look at some of the materials as well as some off-screen footage of the game in action.

It sounds interesting so stop reading this and watch the video below.

The free-to-play title ties into EverQuest Next and neither have been dated.

Thanks, Erthazus.

1. Erthazus

This game has animation from World Of Warcraft which is a great decision. Finally someone get’s it.
    I want to build gigantic castle full of slaves, horses… ehm.

One thing that I don’t understand. How are you going to get wood with copper pickaxe???

#1 10 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 How are you going to get any hard material with one! I really want to try this out. See what I can come up with. I did “okay” in Minecraft (massive Templar Knight Statue FTW) but when I tried to get into electricity etc – my brain just kid of walked off and moved on to something else.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Luciferous

I want to see MOAR!!!!

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Needs info on endgame content, that’s all that really matters. Graphics isn’t really the most important thing for an MMO, far from it.

Animations/fluid movement/lots of skills and endgame is everything you need really.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Erthazus

@Hcw, too early for endgame I think. We have not seen even Everquest Next to be honest. :D

#5 10 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Well i’m allready sceptical since it’s F2P, and those games really never have worthwile endgame content.

WoW is still unmatched in that regard. Rift is great too (and F2P), but it started out as a sub-based game too.

People can say what they want about WoW, but it did the most important things right (animations/skills and endgame content).

#6 10 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I think that “end-game content” is a silly construction borne of gated exclusivity and similar nonsense.

I think it needs content. It’s hard to explain this to you, though, because you come from a WoW mindset, and WoW tends to hard-program the desire for exclusivity into people. I’ll pick a game you’re bound to be familiar with: Skyrim. Skyrim didn’t have end-game content, it just had a lot of content.

You could play this content in any order you wanted, and you could approach the game in any way you pleased. The WoW response to this is that this would ruin the game because people would complete it in a day and leave. Well, Skyrim overrules that idea since there are those who’ve put over six hundred hours into the vanilla game alone.

Then you add in modding on top of that, and mods that people can play. Even a simple mod can bring someone back to the game to play through it again because they enjoyed it.

Now, here’s the thing: Everquest Next will have player made content, just like Skyrim. The cool thing here is that they don’t even need end-game content, that’s not something they require, they don’t even have to think about it. It isn’t WoW. From all I’ve read, Next is much closer to, say, Skyrim than it is to prior MMOs.

So, no, the game doesn’t need end-game content. It just needs content. And people will make that content.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Well i loved Skyrim, but what you’re describing is probably how Elder Scrolls Online will turn out. It’s structured like a lot like Skyrim, with focus on exploration over quest hubs for example.

The point remains though, you NEED to have something to do when you’ve hit the maximum level cap, assuming it has one, which also is a necessity in an MMO if you ask me.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Erthazus

I agree with Hcw87 on everything.

@TheWulf, End-game content is not just exclusivity. These things are raids and other Massive Multiplayer Theme Park games for the community that INVESTS in the game. It is also a challenge. That’s why WoW is a king in MMO subscriptions.

SKYRIM is not a good comparison because Skyri’s content is heavy on exploration and WoW have that and many MMO’s have that. But this is not what gamers want.

#9 10 months ago