CoD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 are the “end of an era”, says Avalanche boss

Tuesday, 5th November 2013 21:39 GMT By Mike Irving

Christofer Sundberg, the Founder and Creative Director of Avalanche Studios, has predicted that popular shooter franchises Call of Duty and Battlefield will lose their stranglehold over the genre.

Sundberg tweeted earlier today that he believes the latest installments, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4, mark “the end of an era”. He expressed little faith in Call of Duty’s future, and predicted that Battlefield will likely live on with a multiplayer focus.

When asked by Eurogamer if CoD could also exist as a multiplayer-only title, Sundberg seemed doubtful.

“I don’t think there is room for both unless they are drastically different and publishers find new ways to monetize the players,” he said.

Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 are both out now and are performing quite well.

We’ve got a full Call of Duty: Ghost campaign walkthrough guide here, with extra multiplayer tips.

Thanks, GameSpot.

1. Hcw87

”He expressed little faith in Call of Duty’s future, and predicted that Battlefield will likely live on with a multiplayer focus.”

This would be a dream future. No more CoD influenced FPS games.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Hear, hear.

#2 10 months ago
  3. tezzer1985

I’m sure CoD and BF will live on

#3 10 months ago
  4. TheWulf

What I’d love to see is a return to sci-fi — with actual sci-fi guns. Back then, you had to be more creative with your guns. These days it tends to be some standard military machine-gun, or some standard military machine-gun in space. (Which, conversely, is the issue I have with fighter planes in space.)

In the era of the sci-fi shooter, they had to be really inventive and clever with weapons to make their games stand out. And there were so many instances of creative weapons from that era — in Blood, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal Tournament, and even Quake.

Take the flak cannon. It’s been too long since we’ve had anything as interesting as that. All guns these days tend to be either pew-pew or dakka-dakka hitscan weapons, they all fire the same kinds of thing, have the same kinds of effects, and ultimately have similar mechanics. The only thing that breaks the tedium is the odd rocket launcher.

I really want to see someone do an FPS under the restriction ‘you can’t use bullets.’

#4 10 months ago
  5. TheBlackHole

“video game industry person states the obvious. Makes the news”

EVERY console generation, a new FPS comes to be known as the front runner.

For N64 it was Goldeneye.
    PS2 it was probably Killzone/Timesplitters 2
    Xbox it was Halo.
    Xbox 360/PS3 it was CoD.

Next gen will bring its own new IP, some of which will do VERY well.

I suspect we’ll probably be talking about games like Titanfall, and whatever EPIC, Valve or ID bring to the FPS table over the next couple of years.

#5 10 months ago
  6. FuntimeBen

Says the guy who is bringing us Mad Max… A game 30 years too late.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

#6 10 months ago
  7. polygem

the genre will even grow, those two franchises will slowly fade away, others will come…no need to be a guru to see that.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

Guru Polygem, Demonic Soul Warrior By Destiny and all round Nintendo chubby chaser :P

#8 10 months ago
  9. Opalauge

They souldn’t predict an end of an era of franchises. They should predict and work for a beginning of their franchises. They delivered nothing more than medicore action games so far…
    In other words: “Don’t talk the talk if you can’t walk the walk!”

#9 10 months ago
  10. polygem

#4 + 1

on the current gen: i am loving some of the halo weapons. some resistance guns have been great as well.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

THE CEREBRAL BORE!

Best. Weapon. Ever.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

We need more fucking Timesplitters, whose with me?

No? No-one ah well this will do

Day One, forgot all about this till mentioned (@5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dVHh40EMX68

#12 10 months ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

@4: so right. @11: Right on! :D
    Some cracking weapon mods are available for UT, as well. One being Unreal4Ever, and the other Rocket Arena (a concept borrowed from Q3A).

#13 10 months ago
  14. salarta

Frankly, I think the new console generation is going to be the end of shooters being the dominant genre. Side-scroller action games were dominant on NES, RPGs were dominant on PS1, I believe action games were dominant on PS2 as we got with GTA3 and Devil May Cry as well as RE4. I’m not sure yet what will replace shooters as the dominant games.

Maybe survival horror? It seems like there’s an influx in desire for those sort of games again. I mean, if “Tomb Raider” had to force part of the survival horror atmosphere and themes into what is supposed to be an action game, and we have stuff like The Last Of Us going on, there’s a suggested trend toward survival horror.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Panthro

A remake/reboot of the series is coming out, so it isn’t really ‘late’

#15 10 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Oh god how i loved Turok on the N64.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Kuwabara

They need to change the dynamics of the fps, make it more fun and entertaining instead of the fast pace run and gun/sniper competitiveness which feels more like a chore. It’S why i hated cod after playing it for a while.You play a game like cod and you’ll get more feelings of frustration than fun. It’s the same with battlefield to some degree, but atleast in that game u got more options and ways of doing things.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Super Girevik

I wanted to write a short article about this very topic. After playing Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts, I was talking to my brother about where I felt these games were heading. They appear to be reaching their end, especially COD. I feel like Activision has run out of ideas. The launch of both of these games was also a bit lackluster. I personally wasn’t hyped for neither one.

I honestly think Titanfall and Destiny will become the next big online multi-player franchises of this upcoming next-generation. Not only do they look incredible but more importantly, both of these games look like fun.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Dragon

^ “I wanted to write a short article about this very topic”
    You can always use the forums.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Super Girevik

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. I’m trying to submit articles to gaming sites in hope of making a little extra side money. I know Polygon takes submissions.

#20 10 months ago
  21. UuBuU

@14 While i’m not sure that they’ll surpass shooters, there are clearly going to be two big trends this generation ~ open world games and interactive movie games.

As for COD and Battlefield dying, who cares? Just like Halo and the upcoming Titanfall, they’re top in sales and popularity only ~ not in quality. The one purpose they do serve I suppose is keeping all the garbage players out of the few decent FPS games out there.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Dragon

@20,
    I don’t think you are in luck on that front on VG247. Haven’t ever seen a reader opinion page on site ever.

#22 10 months ago
  23. DSB

Freelancing in general is kind of a long shot unless you have the connections.

Most really wouldn’t pay much of anything for a submission, for the simple reason that it gets more expensive than having a staff writer right quick, because staff writers get paid squat.

Good luck though.

Fun fact: I managed to use defenestration in my most recent, and only, vidyagames article.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Super Girevik

Nice! Maybe I should start a website that supports user submissions :)

#24 10 months ago