Xbox One will turn on faster than your TV while in stand-by mode, says Penello

Monday, 4th November 2013 15:58 GMT By Sherif Saed

Xbox One will reportedly boot up faster than your TV, according to Microsoft’s director of product planning, Albert Penello.

Penello took to Reddit (via Videogamer) to answer fan questions and explain the power states of the console, saying, “There are basically three states. On, Off and Standby. On is On. Off is Off. Standby allows “Xbox On”, quick resume, checking for updates, etc.”

Penello was also keen to outline how quickly the console will boot-up in stand-by mode, “From standby, it’s likely the Xbox will be on before the TV is completely powered up.”
There is no information however about the exact time it would take for the process, but I guess that’s something we will find out come launch.

Microsoft also intends for Xbox One to be spend most of its time in stand-by mode, from this mode the console can launch TV or games without using much power, according to Penello, “This is the mode we’d like to see people in, obviously, so you get back to gaming or watching TV really quick.”

Thanks, Polygon.

1. AmiralPatate

So they invented sleep mode. Congrats lads.

#1 10 months ago
  2. gomersoul

Rocket science stuff!

#2 10 months ago
  3. Panthro

Its not very difficult when its only an OS loading.

#3 10 months ago
  4. taternuggets

Can you imagine how pathetic it would be if your console couldn’t do this?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Arcnail

Fast is fine.. but for those of us that pay the bills, would be of interest to know how much power is consumed while it’s sleeping.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Fin

None of the current generation can.
    I’d be pleasantly surprised if the PS4 can.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Not a whole lot.

Basically, unless you’re a hobo, you can afford it.

#7 10 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

#8 10 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

Yeah, I’m not certain PS4 is able to do this. Hopefully though.

#9 10 months ago
  10. soqquatto

I hope both PS4 and Xbone will have a standard “off” state achievable without pulling the plug. having an appliance eating up energy (any amount of energy) so that it can turn on a couple of seconds faster is absolutely retarded. image the waste when you factor hundreds of thousands of machines in sleep mode.

#10 10 months ago
  11. RageOfThorn

OOOOOHHHHHH……..

But remember folks, its more important to stay stiff, than get stiff quickly and not deliver.

This console isnt even powerful enough to deliver native 1080p games out of the starting gate, and now they compare its boot up against a tv, BIG FREAKING DEAL. Get the focus back on the games and performance, and quit hyper analysing gimmicks MS.

Games my good people, games is what matters.

They can’t get the ball rolling if the competition is doing things better at less cost, PS4 = 1080p, X1 =720p. Somebody has a lack of virility. I guess we should just “DEAL WITH IT”. I know I will by not buying a crap box.

#11 10 months ago
  12. DrDamn

I think more standard features like patching, backing up saves to the cloud, still being able to charge pads, being able to be woken up for remote play or to download games while you aren’t at home are decent reasons to leave them in standby. I always have the machines turned off at night currently, but will leave the PS4 in standby for these reasons.

#12 10 months ago
  13. gomersoul

I would imagine the ps4 can do this, what with it being able to charge controllers while switched off and able to download and install updates whilst switched off if you have ps+

#13 10 months ago
  14. RageOfThorn

I just use switchable surge protection, its actually better for you AV equipment to be completely shut down when not in use for sure. It will last longer.

#14 10 months ago
  15. TheBlackHole

Wow, less of these please VG. This site is already tainted enough with rabid fanboyism.

P.s. “Games my good people, games is what matters”

Then why do you spend half your post bitching about ‘teh graffix’?

#15 10 months ago
  16. iluspook

ANY amount of energy? Are you saying that you always unplug all of your appliances and electronics when you’re done using them? If not, yep, they’re using energy. Even if they’re “all the way off”, if they’re plugged in, they’re using energy.

The tiny amount of extra energy used in stand-by mode doesn’t amount to the entire house’s worth of energy consumed from everything just being plugged in.

#16 10 months ago
  17. bradk825

@16 He just wants the option to turn stuff off, I don’t think it’s a scandal.

#17 10 months ago
  18. mongbatstar

Xbox One confirmed faster than Sony Bravia? Glad to see it beats something

#18 10 months ago
  19. Erthazus

Cool. Except that xbox One runs Call Of duty in 720p.

Good stuff bro

#19 10 months ago
  20. aseddon130

@19 since when has the resolution really properly mattered??? tell that to the Playstation 3 where only a handful of games ever ran at native 1080p. At least the Xbox hardware (both current and next gen) still scale the games up to make them 1080p.

This full on slagging off on Call Of Duty Ghosts because of this 720/1080 business has all been absolutely pathetic. Just stick with whatever platform you prefer and get on with your life.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Joe Musashi

“There is no information however about the exact time it would take for the process”

Why am I instantly reminded of that other recent Xbox One claim about how long the day-1 patch would take to download when, again, no specific or meaningful information was given?

If you know how fast it is as, presumably, Albert Penello does, why not simply tell people? Or make a video and show them? Microsoft are perfectly able to demonstrate boot-times when they want to.

Now we’ll have to wait for the 5,000 word Digital Foundry analysis!

JM

#21 10 months ago
  22. Dragon

“Albert Penello”
    Oh, this guy? -

*facepalm x2*

#22 10 months ago
  23. Panthro

Don’t take him seriously.

I think hes actually just parodying console users now.

They argued and argued over which console was more powerful and now they have an answer the X1 fans have decided graphics and resolution now don’t matter.

#23 10 months ago
  24. yeoung

“It boots up fast.. like really fast”

“So how fast is that exactly?”

“Like really, really fast. Maybe even faster than your tv!” “It’s like, legit superfast”

“So are we talking under 5 seconds? 7 seconds?”

“…”

“…”

“SPORTS!”

“wha..?”

“Kinect!” “Titanfall!” “Xbox on!”

….

*backs away*

#24 10 months ago
  25. mongbatstar

@19 The xbox 360 doesn’t hardware scale, it’s some old school Microsoft FUD. The PS3 and Xbox scale in the exact same way.

#25 10 months ago
  26. sb319

It takes approximately 2 seconds to switch on the Xbox One from standby.

#26 10 months ago
  27. iluspook

Now THAT’s funny! Isn’t that about how Microsoft handles things? Actually, most anyone in a “high-end” position tends to act exactly like this when questioned. It’s as if they forget how much respect they’ll get for giving us a straight answer! Since every one of us speaks on a daily basis, we’re pretty adept at figuring out silly things like “deflection” and “avoidance”.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh! :D

I certainly meant no malice, and I’m sure we’d all love the option to turn our consoles all the way off. However, the entire argument was based on a fallacy, so why not shine light on that fact for anyone that may be confused by it? If anyone applies this knowledge and saves on their next utility bill, then it was worth it. :)

#27 10 months ago
  28. drewbles82

So you load quicker than my tv does, how does that make it anymore impressive. I still have to wait for my tv to load dumbass, you expect me to jump into a game blind.

#28 10 months ago
  29. mal617

Cool news

#29 10 months ago
  30. Major Mayhem 70

Lmao!! So much negativity that I can’t help but laugh at some of the negativity. I mean people are complaining about how much power the X1 uses in sleep mode! Are y’all serious?!? C’mon, please tell me y’all are teens and just trolling. There’s no freakin way that y’all are adults.

Anywhat, I’ll keep my X1 consuming the “worlds energy” in standby mode. After all these years of watching the start up screen of (insert console name here) which is cool at first. After the umpteenth time, it becomes the start up from hell when you have to wait for the boot up. When my tv screen turns on and I’m looking at the X1 UI, I can’t help but to be tickled. But that’s just me. Some get tickled at conserving energy. To each his own. Have fun wit dat. Lol

#30 10 months ago
  31. NinjaHart

It’s only going to be a few seconds difference. Hardly anything to get excited over, or anything to publish like it’s the greatest thing invented since the wheel.

Personally, I don’t care, I find this to be a bit waste of PR. MS is just desperate to catch up to PS4 at this point.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Solnem

I honestly don’t care if it’s 5 or 10 seconds. Even if it were a minute, just grab some food and drinks in the meantime.

#32 10 months ago
  33. Ilovesony

Yall dont understand… I personally interviewed Penello and heres what he told me: “The Box One ( whats it called?..) Oh The Xbox One uses “Blast Processing” that allows it to boot up so fast… its like as soon as you touch the power button the heat from your finger activates the “super was in standby mode but now im on” mode. we have researched this technology for 16 years and we had to decide… do we allow 1080p for our games or do we want it to cut on when we press the power button… we hope our fans are pleased!!”

Me: Now does that make any sense at all?

Penello: well… duh! you need it to turn on dont you?

Me: …….

Penello: Blast processing!!! we took 64 sega genesis and crammed them in this box!!

Me: …….

Penello: Did…did you see the disc? they have colors on them when held to the light!!!

Me: Thank you for your time sir…

Penello: but…but.. where you going?.. dont leave!!! COME BACK!!…
    Man my job sucks…