Wii Mini confirmed for North America release mid-November

Monday, 4th November 2013 14:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii Mini has been confirmed for release in North America.

Nintendo Life reports that the Wii Mini has been priced at $99 and comes with WiiMote, Nunchuck, and a free copy of Mario Kart. The company told them that the console is due, “mid-November”.

The console offers no online functionality and comes after a limited release across Europe and an initial launch in Canada.

It comes after the original Wii was confirmed as discontinued across Europe.

What do you make of the move above?

1. DeVitowned

It always struck me odd they removed internet, but it makes sense with the cutting back services and game servers they’ve been doing.

#1 11 months ago
  2. mistermogul

@1 – Especially weird if they’re bundling Mario Kart with it. The best online game on the system!

Nintendo never fail to baffle though me tbh…

#2 11 months ago
  3. Kaufer

It means it’ll be a little more than six months before they discontinue wii in NA too. Thats about how long Wii mini in Europe lasted.

#3 11 months ago
  4. manamana

I dont get why Nintendo does’nt drop the Wii stuff. They’re supposed to concentrate sales on WiiU, or not?

#4 11 months ago
  5. noamlol2

100$ for a PS2 with ninendo logo on it’s over priced

make it 60$ then we’ll talk

#5 11 months ago
  6. noamlol2

“The console offers no online functionality”

yup, defintely a system feature!

#6 11 months ago
  7. Super Girevik

The last thing the Wii U needs is more competition. Nintendo is walking on a tightrope and they just dropped their balance rod, hope they make it safe to the other side.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

Nintendo is competing with themselves? That is a first i think but then again they have no one else to compete with…

#8 11 months ago
  9. viralshag

“In our plan to boost WiiU sales, we decided to remove the idea of it being the weakest console on the market by releasing an even weaker console.

This way people can see the true value in the WiiU.

And we’re sure having a third Wii named console out there will not confuse potential buyers any more than having two Wii branded consoles.”

#9 11 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

If I were Nintendo, I’d hard-code a video into these Wii Mini’s that automatically plays every few weeks – a promotional advert for the Wii U.

Put loads of Wii U promotional stuff in the box for the Wii Mini. Maybe stuff some loyalty discount card in the box so you can upgrade your Wii Mini to a Wii U at a special price directly through Nintendo.

If I can think of this stuff, I’m sure Nintendo can.

JM

#10 11 months ago
  11. dreamcastnews

In all honesty, I love Nintendo but this all seems a little ‘Sega 32X’ for my liking. Sega gave away vouchers and tried to market the shit out of the 32X when nobody wanted it and it seems no matter what Nintendo do now, the Wii U has that bad image that isn’t easily shaken.

The Wii U in theory should have been £50 here in the UK but no, it was £80 which is too much for the features that were lost. I bought one purely for the collectivity of it, I’m keeping it sealed until they are all gone.

I honestly think Nintendo should either concentrate of JUST Wii or JUST Wii U if they are sticking with Wii U, they need teams remastering all those Gamecube games that deserve a second chance whilst having 2nd parties work on new IP/ reimagined IP for them.

#11 11 months ago