Steam Machine prototypes shown as Valve designers discuss tech

Monday, 4th November 2013 15:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve has lifted the curtain on its Steam Machine prototypes as part of a Seattle Times article. Get photos of the rig and insight from the designers here.

The photos were published as part of the Seattle Times article, and taken by Ken Lambert.

They follow Valve’s Steam Machine announcement, during which the company disclosed its plan to bring PC gaming into the livingroom in new ways, along with system specs.

During the article, designer Greg Coomer said that Valve wants to make the PC better as an entertainment platform, and added, “We think the PC [Original Equipment Manufacturer] space ought to have been doing this for quite some time.

“Really, every year you could watch one PC OEM or another say, ‘We are going to build the entertainment PC for the living room’ and build something that lives under the TV. “They would often do pretty well at cooling or industrial design, but that was only a fraction of the problems they need to solve for customers to have a good entertainment experience in the living room.”

Do you feel that SteamOS, the Steam controller and these Steam Machines are capable of delivering that entertainment experience? Let us know below.

Via CVG.

1. Erthazus

Ha. this prototype is more powerfull then Xbox One or POS4.

Soon.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Reddpayn

It looks like xbone or something similiar

#2 10 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 that’s the point

#3 10 months ago
  4. Reddpayn

@3 :)

#4 10 months ago
  5. DSB

I hope that journalist went home and blew his brains out. He has seen the chocolate factory. It’s all down hill from there.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Reddpayn

What might the price be for the stronger models? Maybe something near 1000 euros.

#6 10 months ago
  7. sebastien rivas

@1 this we know already but what I wam concern with the box itself after of course being bedazzled by the picture is that if you look at the guy holding the box, he is fairly of average size.
    Now look at the size of the box.
    Will this box be dedicated for APU only or as another steambox article shown us recently from Valve/Steam that Nvidia GPU cards can be used, in which case, this box sounds like it can only support low profile cards.

Am I wrong?

in any case… I am still bedazzled like a barbie seeing a fairy flying around and spreading glitz.. hehehe

#7 10 months ago
  8. Erthazus

@Sebastien, Too early to judge. It’s just a prototype. A very powerfull one.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Reddpayn

Yeah titan in that box, sounds right.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Dragon

No price?

That is the make or break thing, really. If you want the God specs, why not just buy a God PC?

Also, why does the “design” matter anyway, there are supposedly steam boxes (aka custom linux installed PCs) coming from multiple manufacturers aren’t there?

#10 10 months ago
  11. sebastien rivas

Ho you mean it’s like in Zoolander when Mugatu presents the scaled school replica? hehehehe

I see, I truly thought proto for consoles and PC were always at scale 1:1

#11 10 months ago
  12. sebastien rivas

Because it won’t fit under my TV :P
    Because I have a workstation the size of a hightower
    Because I want to play with my kiddo or my wife
    Because it’s Steam, all games in one spot. and no need to always BE online to play seccluded games

#12 10 months ago
  13. Dragon

^Steam big picture mode is already there isn’t it?

I can understand why Valve is doing it. But really, some internet folks don’t. All this “console beater” hubris is really premature., don’t you think?
    Protip – It all really started with Windows 8. Coincidence? Doubt it.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Hcw87

So far it’s just a gimmick, and i have huge doubt it’ll even compete with consoles. More like a niche some PC gamers will use instead.

If they want to compete with consoles they need to offer similar hardware and price, which will never happen.

You saw what happened to the Piston, twice the price and half (or 1/4th) of the hardware of the next gen consoles.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Reddpayn

Yeah, they who want steam already have it

#15 10 months ago
  16. sebastien rivas

You are probably or most like right on that point, yet remember several points.

1) you buy components for yourself and likely from middle man if not 2 or more middle man.
    2) you don’t talk pricing with vendor(s)
    3) you don’t buy in massive amount to lower costs.

Therefore Steambox could be really tight spot with what is offered on the actual market while still generating profits.
    You know Sony, MS etc… They claim they lose money at launch which is true but the gap is quickly filled, the remainder that conclude to whiney PR is the venture to generate more profit for brand exposure that leads to MORE share sells.

Take a look at an hypothesis
    If Sony sells 8 millions unit in pre order
    8 000 000 * 399.99 =3199920000 in profit that needs to be redistributed between vendors and Sony
    There are so many numbers I can’t make it right in terms of billion $ or not.
    Don’t tell me Sony purchased component for a total = to that above result nor does it account for employees at R&D and prods.

#16 10 months ago
  17. DrDamn

“Building your own PC will allways be cheaper than buying a Steambox with equivalent hardware.”

Purely on a power/cost basis. Some manufacturers should be able to do decent form factor stuff which you can’t match as a self builder.

Competing with consoles requires cutting the umbilical to a PC – from the info we have now it really only becomes viable with a PC to stream from. Show me good native support and you have my interest … right up until you tell me prices anyway :D.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Panthro

There is a space in the market for people who want to play PC games in a specialized console environment.

This is where the steambox fits in.

I don’t need one, I don’t give a crap what a console case/ PC case looks like as long as its well ventilated and not ugly as hell.

I’m more than happy to buy a regular size PC and keep it by my TV in the living room if I wanted one, my girlfriend knows the benefits of having a PC in the living room are amazing and she isn’t obsessed with having an IKEA style living room so I occasionally drag it in there to watch a movie/binge on TV shows or play a few games with her.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Erthazus

Ha, console fanboys.

Steam machines will come with three prices.
    Budget one, a 400$-500$-600$ price tag machine and Hardcore like machines.
    + you can change hardware in any of the machine you bought so it is possible to buy a budget one and upgrade it to the max.

and Piston has nothing to do with Steam machines.

#19 10 months ago
  20. manamana

I already have a Mac hooked up on the telly running bigpicture. I simply love Steam and have high hopes, that Valve delivers on SteamOS, controller and games.

2014 the year HL3 will be shown on SteamOS, mark my words.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Hcw87

Where have they announced the prices?

Seriously though, to get a steambox with the hardware equivalent of the next gen consoles you will have to pay MORE than 500$. I’m almost willing to bet on that.

Remember, you pay for the hardware itself, AND the steambox.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Panthro

@14 Why do you think valve are incapable of launching a console?

Not many companies try it sure, but just because Sony and Microsoft are the only real living room console competitors out at the moment doesn’t rule out someone could fly by one day and steal the throne.

I personally think if any company is capable of launching a real console successfully its Valve, they know what gamers want and how they want it.

The PC crowd love them and for good reason to.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Erthazus

@Hcw87, They haven’t, but Gabe Newell already teased:

Good/Better/Best

#23 10 months ago
  24. Hcw87

The reason people buy consoles is because they can’t be bothered to change their hardware/update drivers etc every year, so console diehards won’t buy into this at all.

#24 10 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

You are likely to be right and am willing as long as I don;t end up with a 7990 and a 4 core with cache that accounts for a Celeron, I am all up for it.

You mentioned Remember, you pay for the hardware itself, AND the steambox. I completely agree with you but who does not? Sony does not? MS does not? Nintendo does not?

But eher is the deal. Valve is smaller than MS, Valve is smaller than Sony; therefore likely to be less pounding with a hammerjack on pricing margin than the 2 giants.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Erthazus

@24, With a console you update your console every fucking month on the PS3 with shitty firmware update.

So stop talking shit. You can upgrade hardware on the PC or you can forget about it. Same goes to Steam Machines.

Stop living in 98.

#26 10 months ago
  27. DrDamn

I think lost in this debate is also the fact that 7 years down the line I get new games designed to run on the system I bought 7 years ago and play with other people who get *exactly* the same experience as I do.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Panthro

I disagree, I think the majority of real gamers wouldn’t care about that and are just convinced that to get a good gaming PC they need $1500.

And too right, I used to be a console gamer everyday a few years ago and because of my ignorance towards PC gaming I always thought you had to pay out of your ass.

installing a new (optional) driver every few month souldnt put any body off, that’s ridiculous in my opinion.

And with steam OS, who knows… Its likely to be highly streamlined like a console, installing drivers probably takes place in the background and you wont even notice its happening.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Phoenixblight

You mad bro because you know its true? The console purchasers won’t get one as they have a system that plays the games they want and the PC crowd wont as they have a device that already plays games. THis is a niche device for techies, PC elitists and steam fan boys.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Hcw87

On consoles you don’t HAVE to upgrade the hardware to keep up with the latest games. On PC/Steambox you have to. Basically what @27 says.

#30 10 months ago
  31. monkeygourmet

I can’t wait to see these machines / prototypes roll out.

I’ve been incredibly impressed with how far PC’s have come since I last used one for gaming.

It’s like a console : but a million times better in every way. Very glad it will be my main platform ‘next gen’.

#31 10 months ago
  32. sebastien rivas

Master race hardware is a very tiny minority that is likely to be PR’ed and propelled by manufacturers or manufacturer lovers.

I don;t race, I had a GTX 8800 for more than 6 years.
    I just rebuilt my workstation a few months ago and don’t plan on changing anything for next 7 years if not more, and that is the truth of the mass PC market, the mass do not change more than once every 4 to 6 years.

#32 10 months ago
  33. wickedcricket

@12 Oh man I can already see the future for it, just like you say.

Steam OS will/might be second “Game (not)Only” Operating System after Windows, that’s for sure. People will buy another Hard Drives just to install/have it and use it alternatively. If steam Os can run future equivalent of games like BF4\GTA V\AC4 etc. etc. hell I’ll do it myself. I was already thinking about it. Steam OS for Gaming Windows for everything else…

#33 10 months ago
  34. Erthazus

@29, what true? I don’t get it. What’s your trolling message has to do with market research or steam machines?
    I can say the same thing bout the consoles.

@30, No. You don’t have to upgrade the hardware to keep up with the latest games. If you want to play in 1080p or higher resolutions you need to buy the latest stuff.
    If you are satisfied with ok performance you don’t need to do these fantasy things.

“Also, firmware updates don’t cost money. And updating the firmware is MUCH simpler than updating drivers (i’m talking generally here, i have no problems with it at all).”

Much simpler? How so? Tell me. You need update your firmware all the time and wait for it all the time.
    On the PC it is not mandatory. In fact I never update my drivers because I don’t need that.
    “Also, firmware updates don’t cost money.”

and how much drivers cost on the PC? IS everything ok with you?

#34 10 months ago
  35. sebastien rivas

Humm you assume right but you may assume too much here, we may see a redesign in MB form factor somewhere in that timeline.

#35 10 months ago
  36. DSB

Oh sweet, sweet pedantry.

Let’s not kid ourselves, consoles lost any notion of convenience when they stopped developing their designs and services some time around 2006.

And in the meantime manufacturers like Nvidia have been making drivers a non-issue.

My PC starts in half the time it takes my 360, and given that nextgen consoles are going with HDDs, that’s not likely to change.

Do keep up. The real issue that remains isn’t convenience, it’s price.

#36 10 months ago
  37. absolutezero

You can buy parts right now that will play Console games at a higher quality for the length of their cycle.

You do not have to upgrade anything anymore.

#37 10 months ago
  38. sebastien rivas

Don’t derail and plunge the article into chaos with bad connotation, thanks

#38 10 months ago
  39. sebastien rivas

Haaa someone who understand me!
    Price in value versus features and capabilities

#39 10 months ago
  40. monkeygourmet

This.

Xbone / PS4 display all the signs of being a gimped PC without any of the positives.

With my friends help, we built my rig from scratch and had everything installed and up and running in about 2hours…

I can’t wait to see how long the day 1 update is for Xbone then the mandatory installs for Forza and it’s game patches not to mention Kinect 2 set up…

#40 10 months ago
  41. Panthro

It isnt hard to match the quality of a console game once you:

turn off AA
    have 4x texture filtering
    go lower than 1080p (sometimes)
    lower the render distance
    lock the best looking games at 30fps
    etc etc…

These things are what console gamers sometimes miss and you can take GTA V as an example of this.
    It does almost all of those above to keep the stuff very close up pretty and to trick the eye into thinking its a nice looking game (it is nice looking but not as nice as it makes out) the corners they cut to get it that way are apparent to any who uses a PC as a primary platform

^ not bashing GTA Vby the way… I loved the game it was awesome.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Hcw87

Well i need to update my PC from 2009 aswell (HD4870, 3ghz Dual Core CPU, 4GB RAM), so i’m not sure if to wait for this or just buy a desktop.

Being able to ALT-TAB out of a game to browse the internet has allways been a huge convenience, so i’m wondering what SteamOS will actually support (Web browser/Chat applications/Music applications etc).

#42 10 months ago
  43. Panthro

#43 10 months ago
  44. DrDamn

“The real issue that remains isn’t convenience, it’s price.”

Even if/when convenience is not an issue the perception will remain for some time.

#44 10 months ago
  45. sebastien rivas

Woww interesting!

#45 10 months ago
  46. DSB

@44 Yeah, that seems to be the case. Sadly!

#46 10 months ago
  47. sebastien rivas

Just wait if you can, mid 2014 is not so far to make better judgement

#47 10 months ago
  48. TheBlackHole

I shit you not, the dude on the right of that picture is called DJ Powers.

Only superheroes have names like that.

#48 10 months ago
  49. polygem

shhh shhh shhh lalalalalaaaa….
    i already cleaned a dedicated space under my telly for a ps4. now would you PLEASE! shut up with these steamboxes for another year or so? thank you.

#49 10 months ago
  50. Hcw87

Also when it comes to GPU Drivers, in the past i’ve had to use something like DriverSweeper to properly uninstall the last drivers before i installed the new ones (or i’d have bluescreens, crashes etc, because of the leftover files from the old drivers).

I’m guessing this is still the case for an optimal driver install on PC.

#50 10 months ago
  51. DrDamn

@41 and @43 ;)
    “Surely having the OPTION to upgrade your PC is a positive thing… why are you treating it as a negative?”

A level playing field and knowledge that devs are still pushing your 7/8 year old hardware is a positive to some.

#51 10 months ago
  52. Panthro

I update my Nvidia drivers for the GPU I have every 2 months if there is a release that isn’t beta and I have never blue screened.

I did bluescreen after my first CPU overclock though; oops, I thought I killed my PC.

#52 10 months ago
  53. Erthazus

“I’m guessing this is still the case for an optimal driver install on PC.”

Hello, 98 year.

#53 10 months ago
  54. Phoenixblight

THe problem with steam box is you are still being tethered to a window machine. Triple A developers will not bother to make a linux port especially with all their resources creating a port for all the other devices. WIll definitely be the case without popularity. Games will still be fine for those that have a console and for those that have a PC that play them. SO there is no need for a steambox for those people. Its for those that are looking into getting into PC gaming but then if you don’t have a PC that can run windows games you get to play the couple of hundred of indie titles and Valve games. Hardly see anything good coming from this OS or Steambox until triple A developers get behind it.

#54 10 months ago
  55. Hcw87

Indeed, i’m just wondering just how much overhead they’ve eliminated with SteamOS. Hopefully it’s close to console-levels.

#55 10 months ago
  56. Hcw87

Try uninstalling your drivers once, there are allways leftover files.

A full clean reinstall is allways best.

Also, unless these come with SSD’s as default, you have the inconvenience of having to defrag your drives aswell.

#56 10 months ago
  57. sebastien rivas

You make a point which I cannot argue for myself but….

I just browsed through some articles today on Vg where some commenter(s) were pin pointing a fact that setting game for its lowest/oldest gen (360/Ps3 in this instance) was not a good ideal for any reasons they may have provided.

I think it was an article about Bungie/Destiny not porting on PC right away.

Anyway, does that mean you are not willing to buy a PS3 or Xb1, just because game devers still support older gen?

I for one am always thrilled by new stuffs, gens, components, techs in general.

After I ponder if the price is right versus tech hardware and capabilities or features if you prefer.

#57 10 months ago
  58. Erthazus

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195bnagti7xucjpg/ku-medium.jpg – Console community.

@56, Nvidia asks you to do that if you want in it’s updating status.

#58 10 months ago
  59. Panthro

Yeah I do understand that.

But… (Haha there is always a but)

Surely if your serious about gaming on the PC you would keep the playing field level by having a rig that can reach an fps you are comfortable with playing with.

Afterall as all the vg console user say ‘graphics don’t matter’

#59 10 months ago
  60. sebastien rivas

HAAAA!!!! that is indeed the scary part that none must miss out. will Valve attract devers to port to Linux or will Valve find a way to emulate linux to windows to play games???? that is the question

#60 10 months ago
  61. TheBlackHole

“@Sony246, it’s not a custom linux installed PC, you Playstation slave. It’s going to have STEAM OS!”

SteamOS is a custom operating system based on Linux. You knew that though, right?

#61 10 months ago
  62. Panthro

If devs are happy with porting to the OS’ associated with the X1 and PS4 then why not the steam OS?

Seems a bit of a bias point of view really.

#62 10 months ago
  63. sebastien rivas

You made my day and resume it all too well!!!
    I even wish there was an article by Phil, Dave, or Steph just for that question and philosophy you brought through the link.

#63 10 months ago
  64. sebastien rivas

Yes and no, it takes time to port a game and ensure QA, time, energy, money but just like you, why not!
    if devers/pubs want money then they know what they have to do!

#64 10 months ago
  65. Panthro

You usually post elitist poo…

But that was rather good and 100% true ;) haaha

#65 10 months ago
  66. Phoenixblight

Because it costs money(1-5 million to port). Not to mention that developers use modules and middleware that rely on DirectX so by going with Linux they would have to make their own or find another one that does exactly the same thing. Developing for a console for the triple A developer is guaranteeing the largest amount of appeal so they will get money assuming the environment is right for it(marketing, launch, reviews, etc)

For Steam BOx there is even less of the PC space especially since its linux which holds less then 5% of the PC space. Sure Steam has 60+ million accounts but that is free and not everyone is going to dual boot a steam OS on their windows machine or buy a steam Box when their PC already plays their games.

#66 10 months ago
  67. TheBlackHole

“Because it costs money(1-5 million to port)”

That figure was pulled straight from your backside. Nonsense.

The cost varies, sure, but those numbers are way over the top. Having led a project where we did just that, I can tell you the figure is much more modest, even for triple-A

#67 10 months ago
  68. Panthro

You are just assuming nobody is going to buy the Steambox/ Use SteamOS…
    Which is OK, its fine to be skeptical since its something new.

but you ever know, in 3 years time it could be one of the leading console platforms competing with X1 and PS4.

Since its Valve they probably have a larger plan at work and they definitely have the money to market the shit out the product in the years to come.

#68 10 months ago
  69. Erthazus

@TheBlackHole, Yes. It’s core is linux but Steam OS is it’s own thing. Linux =/= Steam OS

@Panthro,sebastian, yeah. That picture is amazing. Will post it all the time. Cheers.

#69 10 months ago
  70. Phoenixblight

You port games? Ubisoft and various other developers have said as much on Gamasutra and game dev so I am going off those. I also know that for Bioshock Infinite to be made for Mac it was at least a million dollars.

#70 10 months ago
  71. Panthro

R* spent 4$ on porting GTA IV…

^ see its cheap.

#71 10 months ago
  72. Phoenixblight

What?

#72 10 months ago
  73. Panthro

Making a joke about GTA IV’s port… nevermind.

#73 10 months ago
  74. DSB

There is such a thing as death by choice though. Having an OS that does anything you want it to isn’t necessarily a positive if you only want it to do a select few things.

I can sympathize with that, we want devices tailored to our needs – that’s why I went with an iPhone instead of an Android – but I’d still say the gap between consoles and PCs has really never been narrower than it is now. Services and design is vastly improved, to a point where the PC is actually more convenient in some cases.

When I reinstalled my computer last time, it took me about an hour to download and set up all the apps I’d need for the forseeable future. Gimp/Irfanview, Fences, Chrome, Nvidia Experience, Spotify, iTunes, Skype, OpenOffice, Steam and every other little convenient app I probably forgot.

It’s never been easier than that. Unless you’re totally unfamiliar with modern devices, it’s really not something that will ruin your day. And once they’re installed, the worst is over.

If you happen to have Windows 8 though, you’re screwed. Everything just stops making sense at that point. I’m borrowing a computer with Win 8 right now, and once every 20 minutes or so, I’ll mistakenly press something, and something pops up and fills the ENTIRE screen, and I’m like “WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS! WINDOWS KEY, WINDOWS KEY, WINDOWS KEY”

@51 But you do see the tradeoff right? The disadvantage being dumber AI, poorer visuals, smaller game worlds, basically less everything, and the advantage being that devs and pubs don’t have to worry so much, precisely because they won’t be pushing any envelopes. It’s really more like flogging the same (although not exactly dead) horse, than it is pushing anything in an innovative sense.

Completely disregarding which platform I like, I would like it if devs were free to think as big as possible, but today the biggest of those thinkers are going to be bumping their heads against the console roof.

#74 10 months ago
  75. Phoenixblight

Ahh sorry was not paying attention. You are right on your previous comment though that Steam OS may be something in a few years time but this is not the same thing as what they did with Steam. When Steam was made there was little to no digital retailer so it was easier to carve a space for themselves and now you can’t play a game on PC without knowing about them.

THis Steam BOx and Steam OS they are competing with SOny,Nintendo, and MS. They have a much steeper and higher mountain to climb just to make themselves stay relevant as more publishers and businesses create their own digital store front.

#75 10 months ago
  76. DrDamn

I think you slightly mis-understood me. I have current gen consoles and I am buying a PS4. My point was that I will buy a PS4 in 2013 and in 2018 devs will still be targeting and optimising for my machine – not simply supporting it – that means I and the people I am playing against get the same experience and there is a level playing field.

You could, but in 5 years time the rig might still be supported but the experience will be far behind others you play against.

Think of it another way. You buy a PC with a set spec now. What you see from today’s games is going to be about the best you will see from that machine isn’t it? With a set spec console year upon year things look better and better as devs get better at optimising. Now I understand a high quality rig will likely exceed the technical quality you will get on a PS4 in 5 years time, but that’s not the only thing to consider. Right from when you buy it you are being left behind and things will only stay the same or get worse as engines are optimised for newer hardware. With a set config things evolve upwards. It’s an odd thing to consider if you look at it purely from a technical perspective, but it’s nice to see and experience for some – including me.

#76 10 months ago
  77. Dragon

@PB,

Add to that, custom hardware consoles (by Sony, MS etc.)isn’t a profitable/lucrative biz. What’s lucrative is the closed ecosystem these systems foster. And really, the more dated the hardware, the more profitable it is. Sony and MS make more money on PS3 and 360 now than ever before.

MS and Sony will take a loss on X1/PS4. You can be sure as hell these consoles will still offer best bang for buck in hardware.Its very doubtful anything else will match that, certainly not something from Valve, a small company by MS,Sony, even Ninty standards.

To be fair to Valve, they aren’t making any grandiose claims, its just some anonymous hardcore fans on the internet.

#77 10 months ago
  78. Panthro

I look at consoles and PC’s as one in the same though.

With my PS3 and 360 I felt behind as the PC excelled ahead and was basically shadowing over console games making them feel unfinished and unsatisfying to the point I traded them for a PC.

If you do look at it from that perspective then whats the difference from buying a console and in 3 years have it looking outdated when compared to the PC counterpart?

With whatever you buy technology still evolves and I prefer to have the option to grow with it rather than be stuck with the same platform for 10 years, you know what I mean? I don’t feel like I have worded it very well.

#78 10 months ago
  79. noamlol2

as long it’s not over priced

many people chose consoles because they don’t need to worry about optimaztion

with today’s lazy devs making cheap console ports

it’s very important to make sure your hardware is optimized

#79 10 months ago
  80. Dark

#80 10 months ago
  81. manamana

Three guys holding a steambox – HL3 confi…. argh, screw it.

#81 10 months ago
  82. Super Girevik

So how is Valve going to attract gamers to the Steam Machine?

#82 10 months ago
  83. Gekidami

And so the Steamboxes worth (the little it had) evaporates.

#83 10 months ago
  84. Dragon

^ I certainly heard a certain hardcore PC fanboy here shouting that Half Life 3 would be a system seller and exclusive for Steam OS.

Fanboys 0 : Common Sense 1

Still, no price. Only fanboy assumptions from what Lord Gabe is spoken.

And yeah, Valve putting onus on others to sell SteamBox.
    *facepalm*
    Probably just shows all this hoopla isn’t a big investment for Valve, just another project.

#84 10 months ago
  85. Panthro

I think the game prices alone are worthy of a purchase, but everyone wants different things…

I don’t want one, but I do see the appeal.

@80, 82, 83

And that confirmation doesn’t mean shit really, It just means Valve themselves wont be making anything exclusive for Steam OS…

There are hundreds upon hundreds of developers which (if the steam OS user base is there) would make a game exclusive for the OS.

That article should be renamed ‘Valve will still continue to support other OS despite the upcoming SteamOS’

#85 10 months ago
  86. Dragon

^”exclusive for the OS.”
    If only Valve pays up. No one makes 3rd party exclusives unless they are paid. If Valve itself cant be bothered with it, why would it bother to pay others?

#86 10 months ago
  87. Panthro

They don’t need to pay to secure exclusiveness if they don’t want to.
    Its free to develop on PC and Linux, It will only cost them to get the game on the steam store.

Do they even have to pay in advance to get a game on the steam store?

Do Microsoft pay every single developer who make a game exclusive for windows PC’s? nope.

#87 10 months ago
  88. Phoenixblight

Indies go for the broadest market they have to in order to bring revenue in. SO they will have to make a windows based game if they are going PC. There will be no reason to go for Steam OS exclusive not unless they like sending their game off to die.

#88 10 months ago
  89. Dragon

@87,
    Yeah. And that means an assured Windows PC release.

And we are backing at starting point, why would anyone develop exclusives for Steam OS?

#89 10 months ago
  90. Super Girevik

They did specify they wouldn’t make games exclusive for the “Steam OS”. But maybe they will make exclusives for PC or Steam. I think they need to show they believe in this console. If they are not willing to take a risk and bet on it, why should we?

#90 10 months ago
  91. Panthro

Again, your just assuming the Box/SteamOS wont take off.

@88@89
    I’m not saying every indie developer is going to jump ship from windows to SteamOS, that’s ridiculous.

What I am saying is when the SteamOS does come out are you expecting no developers to solely make a game for that system?
    They will, maybe just even for personal preference.

And I am a bit worried since Valve isn’t going to be making an effort themselves to secure exclusives but we don’t know yet, valve as a company are smoke and mirrors, they are mysterious and in the future will probably change there minds.

#91 10 months ago
  92. viralshag

It’s so funny to see PC gamers still not getting it.

That’s why I don’t understand the need to keep bringing up PC graphics in console threads. It’s like they’re trying to make it seem like it’s something important when most people simply don’t care.

#92 10 months ago
  93. Phoenixblight

I never said no developers will be making games for it. I expect they will be doing the same thing as they are now make games for windows and if it is a success they will make a port to linux and mac. THats what they have always done. What I am saying it will not take over the PC space nor will it crush Windows. Its tethered to a Windows machine in order to play your library of games. Triple A developers will not bother on making a port for 2-3 PC OS along with consoles especially with the the increase in cost for developing next gen games.

Valve aren’t even bothering to making an exclusive game for it. Triple A developers won’t bother making an exclusive game for it because they will be sending a huge F U to a much larger demographic. So where is this magic bullet of an OS going to make a market for itself when the creator of it will not be supporting it fully. Why consoles have such a huge following is because the ability to just plug and play but also the exclusives they provide.

#93 10 months ago
  94. Gekidami

What you’re suggesting is that some devs, mainly indies, are going to make games solely for Steam OS because they’re -to put it bluntly- Steam Fanboys.

I say you’re living in a dream world. Devs, not even indie who like Steam are going to jump Windows without actually getting paid to go exclusive.

#94 10 months ago
  95. Super Girevik

So why did console gamers care that Battlefield 4 on xbox is 720p vs 900p on the playstation? Same thing happened with Call of Duty.

#95 10 months ago
  96. Panthro

The only thing funny is how 90% of the die hard console users on this site are hypocrites.

Those 90% would be just as bad as erthazus if consoles were the platforms with more power.

#96 10 months ago
  97. viralshag

@95, Erm, not sure what your point is seeing as that’s comparing a console to a console? In that situation, why not.

Bringing up PC graphics still is a pointless task as they don’t even come into the mix when it comes to which graphics are better on the consoles. The PC will always win out and again I say, who cares about THAT when looking at consoles?

@96, If the consoles were more powerful than a PC and had better graphics it’s the exact same situation, why would I bring up graphics on a platform (in that case a PC) I’m not looking at, talking about or comparing?

#97 10 months ago
  98. Gekidami

He already said:

“Console gamers DO care about graphics, they just don’t care about the level of graphics you can get on the PC.”

You want to straight-up truth, one that’ll make you rage? Ok.

People right now, gamers to be specific, are looking at what their next console is going to be, they’re comparing them. they’re looking at the pros and cons of each before they buy their next gaming platform. Why are they making such a big deal out of stuff like 720p Vs. 900p when the PC can do 1080p? Prepare to have your mind blown; gamers, the majority which includes the lesser knowledgeable mass market dont give a shit about the PC as a gaming platform. It doesnt register, they know it can play games, they just dont care, not in the slightest.

#98 10 months ago
  99. DrDamn

I understand what you mean, and it’s a perfectly valid view point, I just think the alternative is a valid one too. I don’t feel left behind by the PC tech because there are still millions playing with exactly the same tech I have. Besides you are already behind before it starts. So I personally prefer a set platform I know will be supported and exploited for many years to come.

#99 10 months ago
  100. Panthro

Mind blown…. Not.

Console gamers get the new consoles because the latter of the fact is everyone who uses PS3 and 360 thinks they ‘have’ to.

A big deal gets made out of them and they get excited, most of them don’t even research them(some of my family and friends, I have spoken to them about it), its called blindly buying something because everyone else is.

#100 10 months ago
  101. viralshag

I’m a PC gamer and I’m still going to +1 #98 because I pretty much agree with him.

#101 10 months ago
  102. absolutezero

and you know what happens when you try and educate people about something that they have pre-conceived notions of…

knee-jerking so hard you get smashed in front teeth.

#102 10 months ago
  103. Panthro

Yep, ignorance is bliss in these parts.

#103 10 months ago
  104. Gekidami

Except theres no educating going on, because for every asshole PC fanboy who bursts into the comments section of a console game gloating about how bad it looks compared to some PC game, theres a million gamers who just raise an eyebrow and wonder what this idiot and his fringe gaming platform want, before they go back to playing their console games.

Seriously, how many minds do you actually think the PC fanboys on this site change? You think some PC car game screenshots get posted, and console gamers are going to say they’ve seen the light and can their Forza 5 preorder? Nope. They think “Look at this douchebag” then move on.

PC fanboys are coming across as whiny, butthurt little trolls, not “educators”.

#104 10 months ago
  105. Panthro

Dont worry, the feelings mutual… I feel the same way about all you console fanboy douchebags to.

And your clearly referring to Erthazus, the ONE PC gamer on this site who does that.

#105 10 months ago
  106. Super Girevik

We are talking about the Steam Machine. It’s being marketed as a potential threat to consoles.

If console gamers make a big deal about certain games not achieving 1080p or not running 60fps, why would they not be interested in a system that could output +1080p, +60fps with much more graphic fidelity than offered by the xbox or playstation? Of they course they would be interested! Will they buy one? Not if it’s too expensive and the games aren’t there.

I think the real issue is that we care about graphics but when our console is not up to the challenge, then we just quickly say, “we don’t care about graphics”. I want the BEST looking version of my favorite games, if I can afford it :)

#106 10 months ago
  107. stretch215

You guys take this shit way too seriously….pc ps4 x1 who cares? Just let me play awesome games! Gaming is a hobby, as in something to do with your SPARE time. If it’s more than just a hobby to you (and you don’t get paid) you need to get out more. Seriously. Some of you are on this site so much it’s hard to believe you play games at all, nevermind have a social life. You should have more important things on your mind/in your life than console (and pc) warz.

#107 10 months ago
  108. viralshag

Haha, exactly. I love my PC but it’s not for graphics, it’s for the games I can’t get on the consoles and that’s the exact same reason why I love my consoles.

Saying that if Mount and Blade comes to the consoles it’s over.

#108 10 months ago
  109. absolutezero

I tired earlier on today, I had people spewing out the same tired shit about the human eye not being able to recognise over 25 FPS or some utter bollocks. Comparing game FPS to movies just other utter shit.

What do you do when faced with stuff like that? Just let it slide because they are not going to listen to reason anyway? Let them trundle onwards thinking that everything is fine because its on a console and consoles are infallible?

Let people continue drinking Buckfast while you try and explain them the pleasures of single malt whisky?

What the fuck do you mean I should not be rolling about in shit? How dare you!

#109 10 months ago
  110. Gekidami

They want the best looking version of their favourite game on a platform they actually consider to be an option for their gaming experience. The PC isnt it, thats why nobody cares.

#110 10 months ago
  111. viralshag

@106, And if everyone thought like that why wouldn’t they have bought a PC by now? Why would there be such an interest in consoles?

In gaming the PC has ALWAYS been ahead in terms of power and graphics but it’s always remained somewhat of an exclusive platform to those who can only truly be bothered with it.

I personally don’t see this changing with the Steambox because I struggle to even see a market for it.

#111 10 months ago
  112. absolutezero

Those are the same people trying to say that the WiiU is not part of the current generation because of its power.

What else do you do but laugh at them?

Who would actually want these people as a fanbase?

#112 10 months ago
  113. Panthro

What do you mean the human eye can see more than 25fps?!

I think your telling porkies.

My console gives me 30fps so that must be the only fps that is good and your just a lie teller.

+ Resolution means nothing, I game at 640×480 because human eyes cant focus on so many pixels at once.

#113 10 months ago
  114. Panthro

Go google some PC gaming sales figures from ANYWHERE and you will see your wrong. PC has just as much of a user base as consoles, if not bigger…

And dont use steam as an example for PC gaming either, steam is a service that alot of PC gamers use but can hardly represent the amount of PC gamers there are.

ALOT of PC gamers do not use/ never have used steam.

#114 10 months ago
  115. Super Girevik

“The PC isnt it, thats why nobody cares”

The PC platform has never had a true living-room based machine. The Steam Machine could potentially change that. I’m not saying consoles are unworthy, I just think people will buy whatever they can afford while offering the best performance and games.

League of Legends? That thing has an enormous install base. That’s just one example.

#115 10 months ago
  116. absolutezero

“I just think people will buy whatever they can afford while offering the best performance and games”

Its much much more than that. They’ll see it as a challenge, they’ll see it as a threat. Your already seeing it taking place.

What do you mean its better? RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

#116 10 months ago
  117. Panthro

But you know that you are wrong right?

Because my Xbox is better than your PC because I own one.

MS give me these opaque glasses to shield me from seeing any other gaming platforms to make me feel safe and that my money was well spent

#117 10 months ago
  118. viralshag

@114, Did I say anything about it not selling as a platform or outselling consoles? No.

I said it’s a platform for those who can be bothered with it. I don’t think Steambox is going to change the attitude of people that think gaming on the PC isn’t as easy as a console.

#118 10 months ago
  119. Super Girevik

Console gamers want a simple, plugin and play platform. PC gaming suffers from hardware installation, configuration, trouble-shooting and a higher price tag. Also, computers are usually not conntected to a living room TV. The Steam Machine is being developed to address those problems. The price issue being a huge hurdle to take on and one that I have a hard time seeing how they will address it.

#119 10 months ago
  120. Super Girevik

No one thought Steam would take off neither. Online DRM-based PC game store? Microsoft failed. EA is failing. Valve is enjoying huge success.

The Steam Machine might become the next PC-based console to enter the market, if so, it will be compared to consoles. So the question, “why do people compare the graphics of a PC vs console?”, MIGHT become obsolete.

These are interesting times. New consoles are emerging and games just keep getting better. Be happy, don’t worry.

#120 10 months ago
  121. viralshag

@119, That’s it though. I’m struggling to believe the Steambox will be that competitively priced compared to consoles and still be as easy.

Don’t get me wrong, BP mode on Steam is great and I love using it with my TV and if I could use my pad to start up the PC and do everything that would be great. BUT I’m not going to by ANOTHER PC (albeit better suited to gaming) just for those luxuries.

And that’s my problem with it. I don’t think it will offer so many benefits to convert people who want a simple console and I don’t think it’s going to be an easy sell to someone who can solve the living room problem with a HDMI cable from their PC.

Talking about hardware issues, fix this stupid overlay issue and I will be in your debt haha:

#121 10 months ago
  122. DSB

@104 Usually I think it’s old hat to comment on people, but I’ll bite.

… You do realize that this “civil war” you’re apparently obsessed with only exists in your head right?

Why so defensive and vitriolic? It really doesn’t serve to make you seem unbiased, let alone rational.

I don’t see why guys like Panthro or Erthazus would be any kind of a threat to you. For me, if people are overly attached to their platforms, that just serves to rob them of credibility. And really, that goes for you as much as anyone else.

#122 10 months ago
  123. Panthro

Wow DSB… low blow.

#123 10 months ago
  124. DSB

I may have you confused for pcbros… If so… Sorry Panthro! Both start with P, I can’t keep up!

#124 10 months ago
  125. monkeygourmet

^ lol

#125 10 months ago
  126. ChunkyLover112

I assume this console will be for homosexuals?

… and Jewish people.

#126 10 months ago
  127. Joe Musashi

Something something Fourth Reich.

JM

#127 10 months ago
  128. Erthazus

@DSB, I’m not attached to platform mate. I’m attached to specs/compatibility/controls and performance. That is important. That’s why I’m excited about Steam Machines the same way I’m excited about playing on the PC.

I don’t want to be an Ass. But that “fourth reich” thing…

#128 10 months ago
  129. DSB

@127 Obvious pisstake is obvious. The first line of the thread referred to Godwin’s law.

Should I really add more of a disclaimer than that? Because if so, that’s just depressing.

If you want to see a textbook kneejerk response to some actual criticism, brought on by that strange mix of loyalty and insecurity, that thread is pure gold though.

#129 10 months ago
  130. Super Girevik

Just add “games” to that list and I agree with you :) I enjoy my consoles and I enjoy my PC gaming. Hate consumes people, happiness will make you feel alive. So why hate?

#130 10 months ago
  131. Joe Musashi

Yes, I read your open admission of the application of Godwin’s Law. But you do seem to be giving yourself extra allowance that you’re unwilling to extend to certain others.

JM

#131 10 months ago
  132. polygem

ugh joe, this record is broken and it can’t be fixed. throw it away finally.

#132 10 months ago
  133. DSB

@131 Alas, saying it doesn’t make it so, bro.

I have no problem argueing with people like DrDamn, because unlike Gekidami, he’s not afraid to approach the actual issues, and he doesn’t just bring some insulted kneejerk defense at the slightest hint of criticism.

I’m not about to pretend that the PC isn’t my personal choice, that would just be a lie, but I don’t see how I try to establish it as somehow being a universal fit. I think I’m one of the few users on this site that has thrown barbs at Valve, Microsoft and Sony. I’m an equal opportunity naysayer.

#133 10 months ago
  134. Os Money

#134 10 months ago
  135. Joe Musashi

“Alas, saying it doesn’t make it so, bro.”

Which applies equally to your assertion in #122. Which is a pertinent example of you granting yourself allowance you deny others.

Also, note that I wasn’t the only one to pick up on your “Fourth Reich” usage here.

JM

#135 10 months ago
  136. DSB

@135 Maybe, but the reason why I responded to Gekidami is because I’m genuinely worried for anyone who consistently comes off as such a bitter cunt. In comparison, I feel pretty good about the tone and general focus of my posts, so I feel they can pretty much stand to speak for themselves.

If you feel like that’s actually a negative thing for me, then sorry, bub. I’m never gonna please everyone.

As for the fourth reich gag: Lots of people don’t have a sense of humor, but I’m sorry, I really do consider the vast majority of people participating on VG247 clever enough to connect the dots on that one.

Anyone comparing a console manufacturers business strategy with the most evil regime in human history is taking the piss. Either knowingly or unknowingly.

If that someone is referencing Godwin’s law, chances are you’re looking at the former.

I think it’s a lot more interesting that it’s such a big deal to you. If it had been “Zyngas fourth reich” I’m sure it would’ve found better traction. Maybe some people are just a little too attached to certain brands.

#136 10 months ago
  137. Super Girevik

“console players just like controllers man. We want to fire up the game on the tv and sit back on the couch and play with a comfortable controller in our hands…not worrying about a keyboard, mouse, and all the mapping and bindings.” – Comment #134

Steam Machine w/ Steam OS:
    ==========================
    - Designed around a controller? Check
    - Designed to be viewed on your living room TV while you sit back on your couch? Check
    - Designed to work without a keyboard/mouse? Check
    - Designed to be affordable? TBA

Valve so far, seems to be doing a good job at focusing on the issues that divide PC and console gamers. I give them credit.

#137 10 months ago
  138. Os Money

@137 and thats exactly what im waiting for. Been building my catalog even though i hardly ever play pc games (humble bundles…sales…ect.) When they released steam on linux, i figured it was only a matter of time. Now they just have to market it correctly, because honestly console gamers are looking for something awesome that will blow current gen out of the water..depending on the price..

#138 10 months ago
  139. Joe Musashi

@136 It’s probably worth noting that Godwin’s Law refers to the inevitability of a discussion making a reference to Nazis. Making such a reference in a banner to start your discussion isn’t really the same thing.

I find the increasing level of snark you’re bringing into your responses quite interesting. Particularly in light of you having so recently asked another “Why so defensive and vitriolic?

You appear to be exhibiting the same mentality as the one you singled out. Whether intentionally or not. But I guess when someone else acts in that manner they’re a “bitter cunt” but when it’s you, well you feel “pretty good about the tone and focus” of things.

I think we’re building bridges here.

It appears you and your friend have more in common than either of you realised. This could be the start of something beautiful.

JM

#139 10 months ago
  140. Super Girevik

I hope they get the price right. I’m not expecting miracles, but I want reasonable prices. Paying $800 for a GTX780 based Steam Machine is reasonable for me ;)

One other factor is free online. Saving $50 a year on online-gaming will add up quickly.

#140 10 months ago
  141. Legendaryboss

Its always the SteamOS Articles.

#141 10 months ago
  142. DSB

@139 Resorting to common pedantry, for imaginary laws on the internet?

…… Really? Are you that far from putting together a proper counter argument?

I don’t suffer fools gladly. Thanks for the psychoanalysis though. It seems we’re covering more than one worn out internet cliché today :P

At least you managed to circle back and agree with yourself on your foregone conclusion though. Which I guess sends me back to square one: Simply saying something, doesn’t make it so.

#142 10 months ago
  143. Edo

Can’t we all just get along…

#143 10 months ago
  144. Joe Musashi

Accuracy isn’t pedantry.

It turns out you didn’t invoke Godwin’s Law after all. It’s rather like your saying “9+1 = 11″, me saying “no, 9+1 = 10″ and you dismissing it as pedantry.

And the rest is simply a little more snark and a repetition of a logical fallacy (that I happen to agree with) which applies equally to your assertions as anyone else’s.

JM

#144 10 months ago
  145. DSB

@144 Fuck. Now you’re forcing me to be pedantic about pedantry. Very well. If it’s pedantception you want, it is pedantception you’ll get.

Seriously though. Some might feel that there are limits to how seriously you should take imaginary laws, and I would say that the same goes for the vast majority of nazi analogies. Whether they’re aimed at something Sony does, or something anyone else does.

The only way one could be seen as anything other than hysterical or histrionic, is if it was used in reference to someone who was actually plotting to murder 20 million people for no reason again.

I may think Sony are cunts for putting the screw on their customers, but I don’t think the Sony Corporation is about to annex the Sudetenland.

So why don’t you have a cookie, and admit that you probably did realize that all along, eh?

#145 10 months ago
  146. Super Girevik

*Quickly pulls out a dictionary*

#146 10 months ago
  147. monkeygourmet

I hope DSB’s prepared his anus for the ‘logic suppository’

#147 10 months ago
  148. DSB

@146 Don’t deprive yourself of the thrill of looking up defenestration.

I’m actually totally serious on that one. That is the most awesome moment you’ll ever have with a dictionary, and your vocabulary will gain its most awesome addition, ever.

#148 10 months ago
  149. Joe Musashi

I’m pretty confident my perspective is reasonable.

After all, I’m not the one habitually introducing references to Nazis, Fourth Reichs and Civil Wars.

JM

#149 10 months ago
  150. monkeygourmet

Fantastic :)

#150 10 months ago
  151. DSB

@149 … Burn? I guess?

#151 10 months ago
  152. Joe Musashi

Why so defensive and vitriolic?

JM

#152 10 months ago
  153. DSB

I’m the epitome of vitriol and defense right now, bro.

God I really hope you’re snickering behind your screen right now because otherwise, yikes.

#153 10 months ago
  154. Super Girevik

Defenestration – (n.) the act of throwing someone out of a window

#154 10 months ago
  155. Super Girevik

vitriolic – (adj.) severely bitter or caustic

#155 10 months ago
  156. Joe Musashi

Your perceived tone matches that of the one you labelled defensive and vitriolic. You’re forever giving yourself exception to the standards you judge another by.

Your responses above do not serve you well in this regard. Making unnecessary alarmist references, applying the label “cunt” multiple times. In some regards, you stoop lower than your target.

JM

#156 10 months ago
  157. DSB

I’m pretty sure the accepted definition of defenestration is to throw “someone or something” out of a window.

Either way, if that word doesn’t get you moist, no word ever will. And in that case, I pity you.

@156 Oki doki!

#157 10 months ago
  158. Super Girevik

I’m not attacking you. I honestly had no clue what those words meant and included them as a service to this thread. I actually think it was educational looking up those words. And my initial dictionary remark was actually geared towards Joe. I didn’t know what half of those words meant, but it wasn’t meant as an insult to any of you. It was more like an insult to my own intelligence.

#158 10 months ago
  159. Joe Musashi

I don’t think you should concern yourself unduly, Super Girevik.

Incidentally, your name makes me think of some fictional 16-bit console released exclusivey on the black market in the darkest corners of Eastern Europe.

Also, I’m fond of “Pamplemousse” as a word. It tastes great too.

JM

#159 10 months ago
  160. DSB

@158 Jesus, did everybody on here snort from the same batch of tainted coke today? How is everybody so high strung? :P

I was kidding dude, I know you’re just having fun. Do I really seem that hostile?

I just really wanted to be pedantic there, because with the modern definition, you can use defenestration to apply to just about anything, and it’s definitely a word I want to use as much as I possibly can.

It’s true that when it was conceived, it was only applied to throwing “someone” out of a window, but in time, it’s been applied to objects as well.

So please, relax. Please, chill. Please, mellow out. We’re all children of the universe, and that makes us family.

Hakuna matata, you neurotic fucking cunts.

(That’s me being insincere by the way, I figure I’m gonna have to start using these parentheses so everybody can “keep up” and all that. What fun!)

#160 10 months ago
  161. Super Girevik

I would not asseverate you were comporting yourself in pugnacious demeanor. I was soley removing any plausible misreckoning ;)

#161 10 months ago
  162. DSB

Hahaha. Now you’re getting the hang of it. Respect :D

#162 10 months ago
  163. Super Girevik

@Dave Cook, some additional info I found:

“Valve, along with its hardware and software partners, will reveal Steam Machines for end users at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show in January. The company expects those units to start shipping to consumers by the middle of the year.”

We should have a lot of our questions answered sooner than we might have thought.

#163 10 months ago